Season 1 and The Lost Shores

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

According to the new lore recap:

“Living World Season 1 was a series of live content events that ran from January 2013 to March 2014.”

While it’s not really my place to say what’s right and wrong about ArenaNet’s product – especially to ArenaNet’s product – I feel I must mention that this should not be the case.

While it’s true that the term ‘living world’ (or rather, living story) began with Flame and Frost in January 2013, the true post-Personal Story story which became Season 1 began in November 2012, with the release of The Lost Shores.

Over on Anet’s list of releases, they put various releases as “special events” – this includes The Lost Shores, as well as other obviously related to Season 1 plot releases such as Bazaar of the Four Winds and Tequatl Rising. The ‘prologue’ to Season 2 – Festival of the Four Winds – was also a special event and isn’t available for replay, despite the fact that it gave important clues to the beginning of Season 2.

Now some folks may ask ‘what importance does The Lost Shores have?’

Well, I’ll bullet list for you. The Lost Shores introduces:

• The Consortium, whom we have off-and-on dealings with today. Without The Lost Shores, we have no indication or clue why they are so involved with Southsun Cove.
  • Ellen Kiel’s beginnings, from lowly Inspector to her current place as Captain all began here.
  • Southsun Cove itself, as well as the karka, both were fully new to the game. Without The Lost Shores, they literally come out of nowhere – The Lost Shores is the mark of their discovery.
  • Perhaps most importantly, The Lost Shores introduces Canach, whom seems to be the final – yet first – member of the biconics based on the first HoT trailer; and in either case, he is a figure of importance. New players won’t understand the love older players have of him without The Lost Shores and Secret of Southsun/Last Stand at Southsun. Nor why he appears so differently in Meeting the Asura during Season 2 – The Lost Shores is, quite literally, the only time we see Canach in his original good-guy appearance beyond this flashback, and the end of The Lost Shores marks the beginning of his change of appearance.

TL;DR

Anet, when/if you bring Season 1 back in full – or with a better encompassing recap that goes into more detail – do not forget The Lost Shores or these other ‘special events’ that are actually important to the plot of Season 1.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

Dont forget we also get introduced to Job-o-tron!

A-net confirmed that this “recap” is actually a brief summary between personal story and season 2 livving world story, the recap didnt mention the story of evon gnashblade and ellen kiel’s position on the Council through voting or the queen’s jubilee (as well as ur post). They plan to recap these events in the future. Even a new player would raise an eyebrow at some details missing (such as canach)

(edited by eduardo.1436)

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Job-o-Tron was introduced during Secret of Southsun, which is labeled as an episode. But as you said, Bobby Stein stated that the recap only focuses on Scarlet for sake of length, so I am not concerned about Secret of Southsun to Cutthroat Politics being brought back or not (except Bazaar of the Four Winds) for when they remake Season 1.

However, the letter stating a date after The Lost Shores, previous mentions of the Living World beginning with Flame and Frost… Or how the Ancient Karka ‘could never return’ was mentioned while intent to bring back Season 1 was mentioned . Well, that has had me worried for the first true Living World release (even if not by name, by function it was!).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)