Season 3 too easy (spoilers)

in Living World

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Ive replayed it with 3 classes and come to the conclusion, there’s no real challenge,band I was wondering why, so I checked. And this is my conclusion,
In all 5 instances there’s but second dot threats. Eir’s memorial okay, visiting the lab, in those i dont expect combat. The chak were more comedy relief.

But when i got the bloodstone fen, the regular enemies were just that. And the bigger enemies were all gimmick fights, talk to the bloodstone crystal, tap the jade constructs or whitemantle inquisitor, and they drop like flies. Most enemies arent serious about attacking you either. What I mean to say is, never in chapter 1 are you in any actual danger.

So maybe what we need are more fights where enemies swarm you, where you need to use some strategy like mobility or CC to not get overwhelmed, and give bosses an attack for crying out loud, i hardly needed even my healing skills here.

If not for that, give the instances a challenge mote where double the enemies spawn, or they hit harder. But chapter 1 was too casual considering its post HOT

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ha! As opposed to the threads stating it is too difficult.

Ah, well, gotta love perception.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

That was my main reason for this post, and I feel like most of those complaints stem from the fact that people take too long to figure out what marjory means by using the bloodstone crystal. Or people have yet to realize they have a dodge button

in Living World

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I like season 3 so far and think a lot of the content was quite creative. But it is definitely easier than season 2 in terms of mob and achievement difficulty. I got every achievement on my first attempt (attempts where I was specifically after achievements) apart from the bugged one.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

I like season 3 so far and think a lot of the content was quite creative. But it is definitely easier than season 2 in terms of mob and achievement difficulty. I got every achievement on my first attempt (attempts where I was specifically after achievements) apart from the bugged one.

I, by no means, disliked the episode itself. The zone was beautiful, the events were fun and slightly difficult.
But I could get through the story chapters without trying really hard, and got a lot of achievement without even knowing about them. ‘Avoid the falling debris’, sure, but when you make the AoE fields so big and violent looking, I’m getting out of the way without anyone telling me to, so that achievement is more of a given than a challenge. So its for most, the only instance I had to do twice (for achievements) was the lab, because you have to make a contradictory choice

in Living World

Posted by: Jushiohara.9140

Jushiohara.9140

That was my main reason for this post, and I feel like most of those complaints stem from the fact that people take too long to figure out what marjory means by using the bloodstone crystal. Or people have yet to realize they have a dodge button

They mad cause bad.

The Sylvari Ranger

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

For some this will be the “too easy” for others this will be “too hard.” For me it was just right. Shades of Goldilocks!

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I suppose I just don’t notice when something is “too easy,” but the latest block of Living Story has been fairly breezy. I had one frustrating KO, and that was only because the mooks of Dargonclock can’t be bothered to pull aggro while I work. As a sustain warrior, some parts of the encounters did way more damage than they should have. A minor balance issue, honestly, so overall, I can agree that the content wasn’t so difficult (for me).

As I put to another thread, I can understand how the Justicar fights might get a little baffling, but I chanced on the answer by experimentation, as gamers are want to do. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Easy… Hard… Gonna be different for different people. From my husband’s perspective (who died several times), it probably felt “hard.” For me, it was probably “about right.”

Over all though – I enjoyed myself, that’s all I cared about.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Maybe instances should have an achievement mode and a story mode.
The story mode obviously allowing people to progress the story.
And an achievement mode for actual difficulty and associated challenges.

Achievement 1: Defeat Caudecus and his merry band of pink ponies and bloodstonecrazed Social justice Warriors
Achievement 2: Defeat Caudecus, Cthullu, Bloodstone-devourer and a few chickens from the Ebon Fort within 5 minutes on Hero Mode

in Living World

Posted by: Redsong.9201

Redsong.9201

Look,
When people say things are too easy, they make them too hard for everyone else who thought it was normal, or hard. So please, just get over the fact it’s easier. You’d think that might make you happy… y’know.. to have something easy to do?

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Look,
When people say things are too easy, they make them too hard for everyone else who thought it was normal, or hard. So please, just get over the fact it’s easier. You’d think that might make you happy… y’know.. to have something easy to do?

The problem is, it takes from the story if its too easy, The dragons, Lazarus, the White Mantle, they’re supposed to feel like threats. But what if the average devourer you meat in the Kessex Hills is more dangerous than a White Mantle Zealot.. then how am I supposed to take them seriously?

in Living World

Posted by: otto.5684

otto.5684

What is with all these too easy too hard threads?! Story content is not supposed to be difficult and it surely is not..

in Living World

Posted by: Redsong.9201

Redsong.9201

I guess you have a point, but it also depends on class, and build.
It took my warrior forever to finish the first episode. I do fine everywhere else, even the main HoT maps.
Maybe you’re just… too good? How do I say this without sounding condescending? Lay off on the condi? Get Bad? I don’t know.
Either way, it took me long enough to consider it a real threat, plus, I mean… I get the feeling we’re gonna complain about this being easy, ignoring our kool (with a k to make it cooler :P) gear, and amazing build that’s effective and we know how to use, and then we’re gonna do it on one of our alts and “Surprise! A-net listened and threw in level 87s everywhere.” And that’s what I’m scared of.
I’m not trying to say you’re wrong, maybe it IS too easy, but it’s too easy for YOU. Not for me. I don’t craft, so I don’t have Ascendeds. I don’t have Legendaries either. I have one Ascended, my leggings, I got from PvP, the rest is Exotic. So sure maybe if you do everything they put in there to make you super powerful, it will be too easy. Again, the only thing I can say is.. get bad… or something else that’ll make me sound like less of a condescending peice of crap…

in Living World

Posted by: egzius.9031

egzius.9031

We need scaling rewards that scale of how quick you do the instance. If you are in top 1% of ppl, you get unique items that no one has, like a super blue bloodstone crown. This way, people would replay the content over and over for the crown. If you get out of the 1%, lock the skin until you are in there again.

in Living World

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It was too unfocused for me. I think they need to add a group dungeon to each of their living story episodes or something else than just a new map to farm and never-ending dialogues, it’s not like we don’t have enough of that.

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Look,

The problem is, it takes from the story if its too easy, The dragons, Lazarus, the White Mantle, they’re supposed to feel like threats. But what if the average devourer you meat in the Kessex Hills is more dangerous than a White Mantle Zealot.. then how am I supposed to take them seriously?

Use your imagination?

An MMO can’t possible design instances so that they are just the right amount of challenge for everyone. That’s why Kormir granted us T4 fractals and raids: to provide challenges for those who already done get gud at games.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Lupini.6938

Lupini.6938

The only real section I have had issue with is getting the relic from the White Mantle Cleric. It’s in an area with other big boss mobs, in addition to it having a pretty dense population of mobs even when events aren’t happening. The ambient mobs on top of the event mobs makes things pretty rough sometimes. If it’s quiet and only one or two of you are around, it’s really hard to defeat the needed seekers—it’s like they take no damage without a ton of people around.

That section of the story is going to be problematic for people coming through in the future. I just don’t like the idea of story progression being tied to open world/timed events like that.

in Living World

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The only real section I have had issue with is getting the relic from the White Mantle Cleric. It’s in an area with other big boss mobs, in addition to it having a pretty dense population of mobs even when events aren’t happening. The ambient mobs on top of the event mobs makes things pretty rough sometimes. If it’s quiet and only one or two of you are around, it’s really hard to defeat the needed seekers—it’s like they take no damage without a ton of people around.

That section of the story is going to be problematic for people coming through in the future. I just don’t like the idea of story progression being tied to open world/timed events like that.

You don’t have to defeat the cleric in the first phase — the cleric is almost easy to solo after the seeker phase fails. Any 3-4 people who can survive in Bloodstone Fen can definitely kill her (I think it’s always a female, but maybe not).

For the seeker phase, there are two strategies:

• Kill all the infinitely respawning seekers.
  • Diminish the Cleric’s shield.

The first almost never succeeds; the second almost always does (assuming everyone knows what to do, which is a terrible assumption at the moment). The trick is to pick up the bloodstone shards and toss them at the shield; this denies the seekers their candy (slowing them down) and keeps the shield from powering up.

The main point is: the cleric’s shield doesn’t have to be dealt with; you just have to wait out the timer and kill the cleric after.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

All in all, if difficulty cant be pummeled up in boss fights, there are other ways to make at least feel like an enemy is threating by pumping out minions. Then the difficulty lies in organizing your skills and dodges for a longer battle while making it look like your enemy isnt a solo guy. Be honest, who here thought the white mantle was bigger than a 20 man squad. And if they’ve been lurking around since GW1, no way they’d have just 1 or 2 jade constructs. Either that or they’ve been lazy beyond excuse.

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You don’t have to defeat the cleric in the first phase — the cleric is almost easy to solo after the seeker phase fails. Any 3-4 people who can survive in Bloodstone Fen can definitely kill her (I think it’s always a female, but maybe not).

The first almost never succeeds; the second almost always does (assuming everyone knows what to do, which is a terrible assumption at the moment). The trick is to pick up the bloodstone shards and toss them at the shield; this denies the seekers their candy (slowing them down) and keeps the shield from powering up.

The main point is: the cleric’s shield doesn’t have to be dealt with; you just have to wait out the timer and kill the cleric after.

Funny story: I was waiting for my Guildie to come and do that part of the story since we were both on the same step. He took a bit of time; while I waited in the camp near where the Cleric spawns, some other players were doing the event. I could see the event’s green circle on my map, but I was not participating, nor could I even see the Cleric from where I stood. When the event finished, my story advanced…without ever scoring a single hit upon the Cleric. Lol.

in Living World

Posted by: Standen.3479

Standen.3479

There has been a new raid and a new fractal added recently for “hard” content. Try high level fractals or raids for some difficult content. Either that or go true hardcore and only do it in white starter gear with no traits lol.

Living world instances should never be hard or even remotely so, as their main purpose is the story and lore in general. Gating the main storyline behind any forced difficulty wall would be unfair to those who are not as skilled at the game.

TLDR you are looking for challenging content in all the wrong places. Story and open world is meant to be accessible to all not just incredible pro players like yourself.

in Living World

Illconceived Was Na.9781

When the event finished, my story advanced…without ever scoring a single hit upon the Cleric. Lol.

Ha! Well, that’s certainly easier to do than my wall of text. I’ll have to remember that next time someone is having trouble getting past that step.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

There has been a new raid and a new fractal added recently for “hard” content. Try high level fractals or raids for some difficult content. Either that or go true hardcore and only do it in white starter gear with no traits lol.

Living world instances should never be hard or even remotely so, as their main purpose is the story and lore in general. Gating the main storyline behind any forced difficulty wall would be unfair to those who are not as skilled at the game.

TLDR you are looking for challenging content in all the wrong places. Story and open world is meant to be accessible to all not just incredible pro players like yourself.

bruh, do you even play games?
Ff stories are not meant to provide a challenge, then why don’t they just go make movies?
Seriously though, there’s a difference between difficulty and lazyness.

in Living World

Posted by: Lupini.6938

Lupini.6938

Well know I feel silly. Problem is, there have always been so many other mobs trying to kill me, I didn’t have time to figure out (read the icons) what things were doing what, or what needed doing. Thanks. I’ll just find some upper level to wait on for the other alts.

in Living World

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

Ff stories are not meant to provide a challenge, then why don’t they just go make movies?

I found the entire story a cakewalk, same with the LS2 and HoT stories and achievements on pretty much every class (I don’t play engineer).

However, I’ve had guildies that found certain parts quite challenging and asked for help to complete some parts (Hearts and Minds is always popular). As such I think the baseline story should be pretty easy (even for somewhat below average players) but challenge options on a second playthrough that reward shinys (but no AP) should be there for players wanting a bit more fun.

in Living World

Standen.3479

Even though its probably pointless to explain, I’ll try. The main storyline of a game is never tuned to be the most difficult content even if, in the lore, they are the perceived as the strongest. This is done so that everyone can experience the story that they paid for. The only games that have truly challenging story content are games that have nothing else to offer afterwards.

The first thing any player does is play the story and as such it should be tuned towards a beginner player while steadily building in difficulty to prepare them for the optional end game content. Personally i think they did well to keep it achievable by all yet not entirely boringly easy.

Outwith GW2, you can see this is many games such as Final Fantasy where the toughest enemies are usually side quests and as such not the big bad guy in the story. Yet i guess they are just “movies” to you too.

The fact you call it “too casual” shows you do not understand what Anet set out to achieve in GW2 anyway. If raids and fractals are too hard for you I suggest you try dungeons for some more difficult story content.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Even though its probably pointless to explain, I’ll try. The main storyline of a game is never tuned to be the most difficult content even if, in the lore, they are the perceived as the strongest. This is done so that everyone can experience the story that they paid for. The only games that have truly challenging story content are games that have nothing else to offer afterwards.

The first thing any player does is play the story and as such it should be tuned towards a beginner player while steadily building in difficulty to prepare them for the optional end game content. Personally i think they did well to keep it achievable by all yet not entirely boringly easy.

Outwith GW2, you can see this is many games such as Final Fantasy where the toughest enemies are usually side quests and as such not the big bad guy in the story. Yet i guess they are just “movies” to you too.

The fact you call it “too casual” shows you do not understand what Anet set out to achieve in GW2 anyway. If raids and fractals are too hard for you I suggest you try dungeons for some more difficult story content.

I agree on you with the part that the storyline should always be the easiest content, which it currently is. My gripe hasnt been very well.. Or rather quite poorly, worded.
How to explain why I brought this up.

So there’s the personal story, easy peezy, anyone can faceroll through it. Then was living world season 1, slightly harder bosses, I remember taking many tries on the molten duo before he was nerfed into oblivion. At this stage I would say anet made it hail and people had to build huts to survive. Next up came season 2, a bit wavering difficulty, but on the whole, it was upped. People had to fortify their shelters into bunkers to survive the burning hail.
Next up, comes HoT, people who dont rebuild their bunkers into fortresses wont survive. HoT was going to be the hardest content at that time. And it was accepted because their was a buildup to it. No one went from character creation to the Dragons Stand when they first bought the game.

Fast forward to season 3, most people have adapted to the no-slack mentality of HoT, and prepared their fortresses for the next season. While expecting a fight with punishing attacks and a no-slack boss fight I got.. Wait.. Is this thing even attacking me??

Do you see what I mean, when I started gw2 I accepted it was easy, then the difficulty slowly kept cranking up, until I found Mawdreamoth (see what I did there) a fair challenge. Then comes the white mantle.. Sorry, let me rephrase that:
White Mantle Happy Summer Adventure Island
So in difficulty curve we go from
PS. 1.0
LS1. 1.8
LS2. 2.3
HoT. 2.6
LS3. 1.0

See, we were being prepared for this curve, and then suddenly, the curve resets.

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It was too unfocused for me. I think they need to add a group dungeon to each of their living story episodes or something else than just a new map to farm and never-ending dialogues, it’s not like we don’t have enough of that.

That’s something I miss about the old Fire & Frost era of Living Story. And now that Arah story scales to party size, that’s a concept that can extend to new dungeon development.
It might not need a full set of explorable paths, but a story run and 5-man run would add some extra content. Granted, Fractals are the 5-man content now so.. probably not going to see LS-related dungeons that aren’t raids anymore.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Standen.3479

They most likely lowered the difficulty due to there being so many complaints in the forums about hot story being too difficult, which is fine. I would like to see the return of hard mode from gw1 though lol.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

That’s something I miss about the old Fire & Frost era of Living Story. And now that Arah story scales to party size, that’s a concept that can extend to new dungeon development.
It might not need a full set of explorable paths, but a story run and 5-man run would add some extra content. Granted, Fractals are the 5-man content now so.. probably not going to see LS-related dungeons that aren’t raids anymore.

that was exactly their problem with LS1, the minidungeons where a hella lotta work to make, driving some devs insane, and it didnt help that half of those minidungeons where later thrown in the bin. The only path thats still intact is the Toxic Arbor, which is now a path in the sylvari dungeon

in Living World

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

that was exactly their problem with LS1, the minidungeons where a hella lotta work to make, driving some devs insane, and it didnt help that half of those minidungeons where later thrown in the bin. The only path thats still intact is the Toxic Arbor, which is now a path in the sylvari dungeon

This is one things ESO is doing right. Each new world map has a unique new dungeon added and a new armor to craft. GW pretty much took the idea of having a new armor for every new map but ever since they got rid of the dungeon team they neglected that part.

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Maybe they should scale difficulty based on your character: each character can have a “rating” made up of things like gear, finished Specialization, progress of Masteries, whether they do Fractals, Raid, PvP and maybe ranking, etc. Those players who have Ascended gear, capped Masteries, who do PvP, etc. are going to find things easier than people who have none of those things. Then scale the reward based on the character rating.

I can understand that certain players enjoy very challenging content but clearly other players don’t. Trying to balance content for everyone leaves those at either end of the scale unhappy.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Maybe they should scale difficulty based on your character: each character can have a “rating” made up of things like gear, finished Specialization, progress of Masteries, whether they do Fractals, Raid, PvP and maybe ranking, etc. Those players who have Ascended gear, capped Masteries, who do PvP, etc. are going to find things easier than people who have none of those things. Then scale the reward based on the character rating.

I can understand that certain players enjoy very challenging content but clearly other players don’t. Trying to balance content for everyone leaves those at either end of the scale unhappy.

That wouldnt be too bad an idea. NPC value = PC value * (sum:armor)(sum:weapons)
Sum:armor would be white.blue.green.yellow.orange.pink 1-6, same with weapons
Twohanded sets average the quality. So, someone wielding a blue
green swords with yellow+pink axe.shield be in full ascended armor would be (6.0+(3.5+5.5))*80
And enemies can adjust themselves to that value

in Living World

Djinn.9245

That wouldnt be too bad an idea. NPC value = PC value * (sum:armor)(sum:weapons)
green swords with yellow+pink axe.shield be in full ascended armor would be (6.0+(3.5+5.5))*80

Using gear only doesn’t necessarily address the issue of players who prefer much more difficult content vs. players who don’t. I might not like to raid, do Fractals, PvP, etc. but I might have really good gear because that makes PvE easy for me which is what I prefer. That is why I suggested also using Raid, PvP, and other more difficult content experience to add to the rating.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Using gear only doesn’t necessarily address the issue of players who prefer much more difficult content vs. players who don’t. I might not like to raid, do Fractals, PvP, etc. but I might have really good gear because that makes PvE easy for me which is what I prefer. That is why I suggested also using Raid, PvP, and other more difficult content experience to add to the rating.

Thats also fair, then how about this? ;

Normal Mode: all skills and cooldowns are as presented (current normal play)
Hard Mode:
*All healing received is reduced by 25%,
*you deal 10% less damage overal,
*all your stats are pushed down as if you were wearing lv70 variants of gear,
*your cooldowns get slow-ticks whenever you get hit by an attack (making dodging more valuable as well)
As in, +0.3 second for everytime you're hit

During Hardmode you won’t earn extra gold, but maybe have +50% magic find or something?

How’s that? It wont interfere with open world combat, as mobs don’t become harder, but you need to put in more effort to survive the same, and since its completely optional normal folks can keep their normal mode on.

in Living World

Djinn.9245

Hard Mode:
*your cooldowns get slow-ticks whenever you get hit by an attack (making dodging more valuable as well)

During Hardmode you won’t earn extra gold, but maybe have +50% magic find or something?

How’s that? It wont interfere with open world combat, as mobs don’t become harder, but you need to put in more effort to survive the same, and since its completely optional normal folks can keep their normal mode on.

The reason I was suggesting a character rating is because then they don’t have to change the content to add Modes. I’m certain the content already has a method to scale the difficulty, so adding code to automatically scale the difficulty based on the rating of the character(s) in the instance would seem to be easier than changing all the content to provide difficulties. But if I am wrong I would be fine with either method.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Hard Mode:

The reason I was suggesting a character rating is because then they don’t have to change the content to add Modes. I’m certain the content already has a method to scale the difficulty, so adding code to automatically scale the difficulty based on the rating of the character(s) in the instance would seem to be easier than changing all the content to provide difficulties. But if I am wrong I would be fine with either method.

Arent you contradicting yourself now? In the last post you said it shouldnt be done based on the players’ getup. And I agreed with that, players shouldnt have to go out of their way to change to the difficulty, if changing something about my skills or gear would automatically change the difficulty, then the game wouldnt be play how you like it, anymore. To have a toggleable button would be best

in Living World

Djinn.9245

Hard Mode:

Arent you contradicting yourself now? In the last post you said it shouldnt be done based on the players’ getup. And I agreed with that, players shouldnt have to go out of their way to change to the difficulty, if changing something about my skills or gear would automatically change the difficulty, then the game wouldnt be play how you like it, anymore. To have a toggleable button would be best

My comment isn’t about gear. What I was thinking was a system that offered a larger range than simply “on / off”. My original idea was to have a range of difficulty that automatically scaled the instances based on the character. But your comment now makes me think it would be better for the player to choose the difficulty, similar to Fractals. Then the reward could be tokens so that completing the instance on a lower difficulty gave less tokens and a higher difficulty gave more tokens. Or something like that.