Shadow of the Dragon fight's hitboxes

in Living World

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

When you get to the moments where you can damage him his hitbox moves all over the place. My nades can never land 100% of the time because even if I throw them right on his neck his real hitbox will be moving somewhere slightly outside of the circle.

By circle I mean the ring of fire.

in Living World

Posted by: tota.4893

tota.4893

This was very annoying, yes. Do this game’s development tools not have any sort of visualization for hitboxes?

With so many attacks not connecting (and little feedback even when they do) I managed to take off maybe about 20% of its HP during each “burn phase”. After losing focus to boredom and dying a few times I found a quiet spot to respec for better damage against glitchy dragon minions and finished it off almost instantly.

It wasn’t really fun at all, but I guess those great cutscenes were worth it.

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Where were you aiming? I just stood on top of it and melee. Took off only around 25% the first phase because my character was being a bit too friendly with the floor but the second phase took off the rest of its health.

Similar to the Caledon jungle wurm the crosshair might move around but it doesn’t have much bearing on where the hitbox is located. Actually it’s the same for Shadow Behemoth too.

in Living World

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

Where were you aiming? I just stood on top of it and melee. Took off only around 25% the first phase because my character was being a bit too friendly with the floor but the second phase took off the rest of its health.

Similar to the Caledon jungle wurm the crosshair might move around but it doesn’t have much bearing on where the hitbox is located. Actually it’s the same for Shadow Behemoth too.

Again my nades were hitting his neck dead center and at times I would do damage and other times I would not. The hitbox is moving everywhere. I had a moment where I stood directly in the circle and blew my flamethrower straight at him and not one hit connected.

in Living World

Posted by: Zig.7832

Zig.7832

Can someone explain me the hitbox of the dragon?
I played with my guardian and couldn’t hit him with my greatsword. I tried different position but no damage. The only possible way for me was to damage him with the staff-autoattack. But only when i was standing under his neck and attacking in the direction of his mouth. I did no damage when i stood in front of him.
After the fight, i looked for videos of people fighting him (to learn how to defeat him easier/faster), but i saw the same problem with some people/classes.

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s been bugged since the March 16 update. Before that there were zero problems hitting the dragon.

The same issue has affected other structure bosses as well, I believe.

Just take a break until it’s fixed.

in Living World

Lord Kuru.3685

Still unfixed after 3/20 patch.

in Living World

Posted by: Evo Sapien.5298

Evo Sapien.5298

Fix please. i did not pay for content i cannot use.

in Living World

Lord Kuru.3685

There is a workaround: use a ranged, targeted weapon such as guardian scepter or ele staff (fire). It looks to me like the hitbox has been made smaller and moved to the top of the dragon’s head so that melee can’t hit it. Plus, his head moves around like crazy so you need a skill that is targeted.

Not a great solution, but it works. You can still kill it in two cycles if you use the timewarp that kasmeer(?) drops for you.

in Living World

Posted by: Imitation.5736

Imitation.5736

So basically I have to swap to my staff to even hurt this kitten?
Thanks for having a thread on this, as I just did like 5 full rotations of this guy without even hurting him.

At least I have a way to damage him now.

Edit: Staff does not work either. I guess I have to purchase a scepter.

(edited by Imitation.5736)

in Living World

Lord Kuru.3685

So basically I have to swap to my staff to even hurt this kitten?
Thanks for having a thread on this, as I just did like 5 full rotations of this guy without even hurting him.

At least I have a way to damage him now.

Edit: Staff does not work either. I guess I have to purchase a scepter.

Yeah, looks like you’re on guardian? Staff won’t work because its attack is too close to the ground to hit the hitbox that’s way up high. Scepter will work. If you watch where the scepter projectiles go, you’ll know why all your melee weapons (and staff) get zero hits in.

in Living World

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

All I can say is Lich Form is OP in this fight. In full zerk gear, you can take him 50% in the first phase and the remaining 50% in a second phase.

in Living World

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Just did this fight for the first time. Was on Guardian, and thought I was just being dumb when I couldn’t damage him with great sword. Thought there must be some mechanic I was missing. Finished the fight with scepter.

(edited by Gibson.4036)

in Living World

Posted by: Blads.6132

Blads.6132

I had the same problem with my warrior and his axes. The dragon’s health wasn’t going down at all.

Had to buy a rifle mid fight (though I had to die to equip it) and was able to kill him slowly.

Never had this issue with any other chars before.

in Living World

Posted by: Spegar.5708

Spegar.5708

My god! I stayed in that area for half an hour thinking I was super nooby.. Ended up leaving and asking someone to help me with it.

in Living World

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

I don’t know how but anet managed to mess up this bosses hitbox for melee. I was using dagger main hand on my ele and pretty much none of my attacks were hitting him. I tried jumping, standing inside the model, around, etc. I also tried by icebow 4 and none of the ice pelts hit the boss

in Living World

Posted by: Mutand.6074

Mutand.6074

hmm… I fought the boss 2 days ago and killed him in 2 “phase”. But I was watching his hp in event screen, not in hitbox (actually I didn’t saw it often ). warrior melee.

in Living World

Posted by: Alerno.1425

Alerno.1425

Just tried to kill him melee with my warrior, came here to see why I was doing zero ( 0 ) damage to him on four consequent phases.

Looks like I have to go ranged on him then.

in Living World

Posted by: Gomssi.7246

Gomssi.7246

It’s been bugged since the March 16 update. Before that there were zero problems hitting the dragon.

The same issue has affected other structure bosses as well, I believe.

Just take a break until it’s fixed.

If meeting the Asura challenge mote bug is any indication of how long it would take for this to sort out, haha… Just forget the living story and play something else like PvP.

in Living World

Posted by: rsegames.3916

rsegames.3916

Months have passed and it is still freaking bugged…

I guess when Anet goes full kitten with their incompetence theres no force in the universe to match it. Congrats Anet!

in Living World

Posted by: Skeltoro.4728

Skeltoro.4728

Still bugged, which is mental considering the severity of the bug.

Planned on completing the living story with the few days I was able since I missed it on the first go around, but this bug is preventing me from doing any damage at all as a Guardian, with either the staff, GS or sword.

in Living World

Posted by: reptillikus.9086

reptillikus.9086

Yeah, itd be nice if theyd fix it. Just spent quite some time with my Guardian on this fight as well before giving up. Guess im gonna have to buy new weapons because apparently you cant do it with GS/Staff.

in Living World

Posted by: RavynKage.3609

RavynKage.3609

So I’ve been getting highly frustrated and I’m yelling at my poor Guardian wondering why the hell she’s not damaging him at all. half hour later I give up.

C’mon ANET yes I would love HoT really, but fix this first hmm?

Elementalist by nature, Sylvari at heart, at Home in the Priory. / Tarnished Coast

in Living World

Posted by: actarus.8319

actarus.8319

Same problem with my guardian character, he has not a DPS role, it takes ages with many deads to kill the Shadow during the World Summit. It could be a good idea to fix the hitbox of the Shadow. I’m already looking forward to the final battle :-)

in Living World

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Same problem with my guardian character, he has not a DPS role, it takes ages with many deads to kill the Shadow during the World Summit. It could be a good idea to fix the hitbox of the Shadow. I’m already looking forward to the final battle :-)

Now I’m confused.
I thought we were talking about the Dragon fight in the golden cave
in Silverwastes.
Are both dragon fights buged?

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in Living World

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

I fought this kitten dragon 3 kittening times today and none of my kittening attacks connected. I fought him as a staf guardian, when that didn’t work I tried figthing mace focus, and again none of my kitten attacks connected. What the hell is going on here? I never had this problem before. but this all started today when I wanted to go for achievements. if I want to kill the dragon all dps has to rely on my party members. I hope a- net fixes this messy hitbox. annoying as hell espically since this makes getting those achievements incredibly hard. I just made a fool out myself. thinking i’d solo it for another player only to find out my attacks are phazing through him

in Living World

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Fought him on warrior and the first time around could not hurt him. Ranged with bow the second time and we burnt him down.

Make sure the fire Braham gives you is not lost under the dragon. It’s not bugged, just quirky.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Living World

Posted by: Cirah Ravenheart.9618

Cirah Ravenheart.9618

Over two hours into this fight and got kittened enough I wanted to throw things.. I was WAY past the cussing stage and I don’t cuss often. I managed to get to the third phase three times, the first two doing no damage to the dragon at all. That’s when I came here wondering why. I switched from greatsword to gun. Next round managed to knock about 20% off the dragon. Never got to that stage again. I want Rox off my team right now. I was dodging and running in circles waiting for her to toss the fire in and by the time she did, I would have two more gears up. After an hour of this, I shut the game off. I have had several tough fights in the Living Story 2, some that were down right frustrating, but this is the first fight I have ever had to walk away from. Definitely the closest I have ever come to rage quitting ANY game.

in Living World

Posted by: Zelu.1692

Zelu.1692

Possible solution:

I had the problem on my Guardian yesterday as well. It was the first time I was there and was quite puzzled and wondering if I was doing something wrong. I was running GS and Scepter/Focus.

I noticed that if I was walking in casually into the hitbox of the Dragon and meleing from there it would result in no damage, BUT if I used GS3 to jump on him, I would be able to damage him with auto-attack and GS2 (provided I would not move further in).

Similarly, it seemed that if I was standing at maximum melee range for my GS, slightly outside of the red circle around his hitbox, I would be able to damage him with GS and Scepter.

It still took me 5-6 burn phases (including a couple to figures this out), but it was fricking annoying indeed. Hope this helps at least one other person…

Cheers,
Zel

Zel Silverleaf – 80 Guardian
Zelyahine – 80 Ranger
Victory is Life Eternal [VILE] – Desolation

(edited by Zelu.1692)

in Living World

Posted by: Alsonia.4753

Alsonia.4753

Just did this fight for the first time. Was on Guardian, and thought I was just being dumb when I couldn’t damage him with great sword. Thought there must be some mechanic I was missing. Finished the fight with scepter.

This is just asinine. It’s been broken since March 15th!? I just bought it after a break; and A.net is REALLY dropping the ball on this bug. I dont even want to finish this because Scepter Damage is literally worthless.

Gloria Taril | Guardian of [ICoa]
Repping Beastgate since day 1.

in Living World

Posted by: SpiroTris.3748

SpiroTris.3748

Again.. I’m not a game dev, but if it’s too hard to fix the hitboxes just reduce the total hp to something like 1/4 of it’s current value and the fight will be bearable even if only 5% of your hits lands. I realize this will make the fight veeerry easy for some professions but as it is right now it’s just stupid.

It sucks to have this rage-quit-level useless instance when the rest are enjoyable.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

This is just asinine. It’s been broken since March 15th!? I just bought it after a break; and A.net is REALLY dropping the ball on this bug. I dont even want to finish this because Scepter Damage is literally worthless.

Not really. You have more than enough time to burn him down to during each of the burn phases as you would have had with greatsword. It maybe prolongs the fight an additional min at most and I’m only saying that under the assumption that killing him faster with greatsword transitions the player to the next phase quicker rather than there being a set interval regardless of the damage done.

in Living World

Posted by: SpiroTris.3748

SpiroTris.3748

Not really. You have more than enough time to burn him down to during each of the burn phases as you would have had with greatsword. It maybe prolongs the fight an additional min at most and I’m only saying that under the assumption that killing him faster with greatsword transitions the player to the next phase quicker rather than there being a set interval regardless of the damage done.

Really? I’m doing it at the moment (had to take a break, been at it for 45minutes) and each burn phase I rotate my staff and sword to access the ranged attacks and I manage to burn off about 5-6% health each burn phase.

The whole point of these threads is that we’re being forced to choose a certain set of weapons or classes to complete this instance in reasonable time. I’m pretty sure that it was never anets intention that the instance should take well over an hour to solo since the living world content is supposed to be completely soloable. It’s obviously a bug that they’ve completely deprioritized and for some reason refuse to acknowledge.

in Living World

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

No, the hit box is indeed screwy; too high, moving too much, etc.
My friend (guardian) and I (warrior) tried this fight 2 times, baffled that we had to be doing something wrong. I had seen videos of warriors and thieves melee it, but I realize now this was before it broke/moved.

We managed to get it to work with Longbow and Scepter/Torch.

in Living World

Lord Kuru.3685

This is still broken.

ETA on patch?

I think it’s pretty safe to say at this point the ETA is never.

in Living World

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I think they’re planning on fixing this right after they fix the HoM.

in Living World

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

i beat him many times with my ranger np add all
i do recommend a long range weapon

and keep moving your butt also am pretty much tank build
ok ok i wont burn him down fast but i can take allot off damage

and my bear can take damage to with the skill protect me
but i need to try it again soon with the new update

and new build

in Living World

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I noticed the issue with the hit box when I completed it yesterday. Being a Thief, I used my Thieves Guild Elite on the boss, and AOE shortbow. The Thieves did a lot of damage. Seems like when you send in AI to kill other AI they know exactly where to hit and connect with the target.

(edited by Linfang.1087)

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I can vouch that the issue is still in-game, and it also seems to affect Guardian Staff attacks (had to equip scepter, so no real problem).

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Looks like this got fixed with today’s update.