Should season 3 get a cliffhanger? [SPOILERS]

in Living World

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

Personal Story: we get a semi-cliffhanger/set up for the future
Season 1: we get a cliffhanger with Mordy awakening
Season 2: we get a cliffhanger with Mordy destroying Pact
HoT Story: we get a cliffhnager :/

I personally would like no more cliffhangers, I want a story that has a begging, middle, and end. Anet already confirmed that’s there’s going to be a next expansion, which obviously needs a set up, but do we really need another cliffhanger?

in Living World

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

I’m hoping for the same “run” as before, with some mysterious stuff happening to introduce whatever is going on, then expanding into new zones that are relevant to the coming story (Please Elona). Always thought the episodes of season 2 were very well paced in terms of story and cliffhangers.

in Living World

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The cliffhanger is if there will ever be a season 3 or not.

My guess is it will get pushed back 2-3 times and then magically appear behind the paywall of the next expansion.

in Living World

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I have no problem buying an expansion, but I’d like an ending to each story without cliffhangers aswell. Just end it. Start fresh with a more creative background. They can start a plot by showing memories of something we’ll use, or don’t center the whole thing around the player. I am mostly fine not to be the center of everything all the time. It gets tiring every time. Let the other characters develop side stories on their own, and we can help them, but not like “zomg you saved the world”. Put more emphasys on the OTHER characters, let them play their own role. Let them be more independent, and have us make a participation. Just a participation.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Living World

Posted by: gerry.6519

gerry.6519

It’s only normal they give cliffhangers, they make you wonder for the future and give an idea of what might happen next or even mislead you. The only time there shouldn’t and can’t be a cliffhanger is when the story is completely over (all dragons killed) but since that would put a big part of the game on a stop they might find something diffrent we need to do (for example end the ghosts, flame legion, nightmare court,…)

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Personal Story wasn’t really a cliffhanger. It was a closed arc, but left room for the future. There was no sense of immediately going after something else. The plot was done, the story was done, but there was the potential for more.

Season 1 was definitely a cliffhanger while also being a closed arc. The arc might have been done, but the story and plot were not. Season 2 was worse of a cliffhanger, as not even the arc was done – nothing was finished in Season 2. You cannot play Season 2 without playing HoT and have a sense of completion – it’d be like watching Star Wars Episode 4 only to where Obi-Wan dies and the others escape the Death Star.

HoT was also a cliffhanger, done in a similar style as Season 1. The arc and plot was finished, but they had already begun the next… with only one page’s worth comparatively to a book.

I do not expect S3 to end without a cliffhanger, but I do hope that the next plot – whatever it is – doesn’t end with one. Whether it means the next expansion or Season 3 or Season 4 or whatever.

My guess is it will get pushed back 2-3 times and then magically appear behind the paywall of the next expansion.

That wouldn’t be a Living World Season. And we’ve already been told that we’re getting it this year, with hints being that we get it before the Fall quarterly update (or at least it starts before then).

Though the sooner they begin releasing it, the better.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

The Personal Story wasn’t really a cliffhanger. It was a closed arc, but left room for the future. There was no sense of immediately going after something else. The plot was done, the story was done, but there was the potential for more.

Season 1 was definitely a cliffhanger while also being a closed arc. The arc might have been done, but the story and plot were not. Season 2 was worse of a cliffhanger, as not even the arc was done – nothing was finished in Season 2. You cannot play Season 2 without playing HoT and have a sense of completion – it’d be like watching Star Wars Episode 4 only to where Obi-Wan dies and the others escape the Death Star.

HoT was also a cliffhanger, done in a similar style as Season 1. The arc and plot was finished, but they had already begun the next… with only one page’s worth comparatively to a book.

I do not expect S3 to end without a cliffhanger, but I do hope that the next plot – whatever it is – doesn’t end with one. Whether it means the next expansion or Season 3 or Season 4 or whatever.

That wouldn’t be a Living World Season. And we’ve already been told that we’re getting it this year, with hints being that we get it before the Fall quarterly update (or at least it starts before then).

Though the sooner they begin releasing it, the better.

Obi-Wan dies!? Thanks for the spoiler!

(j/k)

Although I am generally not a huge fan of cliff hangers, I wouldn’t say that HoT was much of a cliff hanger. At most it left many questions un-answered. I thought that it wrapped up the season 2 story nicely (although not very well executed).

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Living World

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

All storyline in GW2 will get a cliffhanger in order to make people come back into the game. It’s not about should season 3 get a cliffhanger, it’s that season 3 MUST have a cliffhanger…..
For ANET to maintain a decent playerbase…….

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

We will get a cliff-hanger. They want us to buy the next xpac.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Konig Des Todes.2086

You don’t need cliffhangers to get people to stay with the story.

You need a good story to keep people with the story.

And continuous cliffhangers is not a good story.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Given the amount of time between story releases, I think ending on a total cliffhanger would be pretty unsatisfying because you’d feel like you were never getting a full storyline. It’s not like you can tune in next week to find out what happens. If you’re waiting six months, you tend to lose the sense of urgency anyway, cliffhanger or not.

What I’d rather see is a story arc with a solid end, but that leaves a few important unanswered questions to carry the momentum into the next release. I think that would be more satisfying and make the season a more complete experience than just cutting off in the middle of the action to be continued months later.

in Living World

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

The main goal for the next season will not be to tell a story. It will be to serves as a teaser for the next expansion. There will be a cliffhanger.

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

No, it shouldn’t have a cliffhanger, it should try to be a good story….though it probably won’t be that either.

Also, the Personal Story didn’t end on a cliffhanger, and neither did LS1 (while Mordremoth was waking up, there wasn’t any immediate issues to deal with, as the Invasive Weed was dead).

in Living World

Konig Des Todes.2086

The main goal for the next season will not be to tell a story. It will be to serves as a teaser for the next expansion. There will be a cliffhanger.

Everything we know of S3 says it’ll close up some loose threads oepened by S2 and HoT. Nothing implies leading into the next expansion, especially since we don’t know what that expansioni s or will be released.

More than likely S4 will lead into the next expansion. However, that doesn’t mean it needs to end with a cliffhanger either. You can lead into sequels without a cliffhanger as well. If you think you must end a story that had a sequel with a cliffhanger, you’ll not make a good writer.

A good example would be Brentt Weeks’ Night Angel Trilogy. Every book was a conclusive story with room for sequels but no cliffhanger at the end.

Dear ANet writers,

in Living World

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Everything we know of S3 says it’ll close up some loose threads oepened by S2 and HoT. Nothing implies leading into the next expansion, especially since we don’t know what that expansioni s or will be released.

More than likely S4 will lead into the next expansion. However, that doesn’t mean it needs to end with a cliffhanger either. You can lead into sequels without a cliffhanger as well. If you think you must end a story that had a sequel with a cliffhanger, you’ll not make a good writer.

A good example would be Brentt Weeks’ Night Angel Trilogy. Every book was a conclusive story with room for sequels but no cliffhanger at the end.

I love you.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer