Simple way to make LS content replayable

in Living World

Posted by: Xyvol.1265

Xyvol.1265

Moto!

The genius inventor of the Super Adventure Box, a device that uses various technobabble words to create a virtual reality experience. SAB box focuses on “Edutainment,” education and entertainment in the form of an adventure game.

Why not use this technology to make a box that recreates historical moments from the past to archive and study? The Priory could commission or conscript Moto to make it. It would also be a reason that the events are slightly different (scaled for a party of 5), as it is based off the experiences and memories of the people who were involved.

This would allow players who missed out on some of the Living Story content to go back and catch up, or just relive some favorite moments.

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

Moto!

The genius inventor of the Super Adventure Box, a device that uses various technobabble words to create a virtual reality experience. SAB box focuses on “Edutainment,” education and entertainment in the form of an adventure game.

Why not use this technology to make a box that recreates historical moments from the past to archive and study?

Xyvol, you’re a genius!

((gives Xyvol a big hug))

I second this idea. This is exactly what new players need. That way everyone can be on the same page when it comes to understanding the LS. I think alot of complaints about LS are due to the fact that new players missed out on the previous content.

I join GW2 in October 2013, when Twilight Assault came out. The only way for me to understand Scarlet’s storyline was to go onto Youtube and watch gameplay videos that covered the updates before Twilight Assault. Not everyone has the patience or time to do what I did.

Unfortunately, the gameplay videos never covered the subplots with the NPCS (like Marjory x Kasmeer or the friendship between Rox and Braham), so I know I missed out on alot before Twilight Assault. I didn’t know that there was romance between the ladies until this update. I assumed they were really close friends or part of a sisterhood or roommates. Between Nightmare Tower and the Escape update, most of the story involving Jory and Kasmeer weren’t romantic and were very ambiguous. When I mentioned on the forums that the romance seemed so sudden, other players said that the romantic relationship was established prior to Twilight Assault.

The recap video that was released during Wintersday wasn’t enough because it doesn’t allow the players to go through the details of the previous events. It only covered what Scarlet and her minions did. It didn’t cover the other storylines.

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

i heard they are planing something to relive the living story and see what happened

wonder what…..

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Living World

Posted by: omegajimes.2471

omegajimes.2471

Moto!

Why not use this technology to make a box that recreates historical moments from the past to archive and study? The Priory could commission or conscript Moto to make it. It would also be a reason that the events are slightly different (scaled for a party of 5), as it is based off the experiences and memories of the people who were involved.

This would allow players who missed out on some of the Living Story content to go back and catch up, or just relive some favorite moments.

I love this idea! My GF and I started playing together at launch, but she started school around the time Flame/Frost began. I stuck with the story, but she didn’t have as much time to play. She dropped in whenever she could, but she didn’t know any of the characters or what was going on so she lost interest in the overarching story. Her biggest gripe has been that there’s no way to go back and experience the single player missions that explain what’s been going on, or even re-watch the cut scenes. I can’t find anyone who’s put together anything comprehensive on Youtube either.

She’s read the wiki article, but it lacks the flair that the in-game scenes, or even the motion comic cutscenes have, and doesn’t really let you know the characters like the scenes do.

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

the majority of players that leave or give up on the game are usualy doing it bicous of this temporal crap…..

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Living World

Posted by: Imperios.2543

Imperios.2543

This.

This is an excellent idea.

ArenaNet, you ought to do this.

in Living World

Posted by: Imperios.2543

Imperios.2543

This.

This is an excellent idea.

ArenaNet, you ought to do this.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yeah we will get it as fractals. They have already started with the molten facility and Mia Trin.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: Xyvol.1265

Xyvol.1265

Yeah, Fractals is another option. I didn’t suggest it though as I haven’t played any fractals yet, so I don’t quite know the layout. I’ve read that they are mostly dungeon-like and random, I’m not sure the story instances where there is no combat would fit well. A different system might be a better way to string them all together.

Xyvol, you’re a genius!

((gives Xyvol a big hug))

Thanks!

Her biggest gripe has been that there’s no way to go back and experience the single player missions that explain what’s been going on, or even re-watch the cut scenes. I can’t find anyone who’s put together anything comprehensive on Youtube either.

She’s read the wiki article, but it lacks the flair that the in-game scenes, or even the motion comic cutscenes have, and doesn’t really let you know the characters like the scenes do.

I know what you mean, I have not found anything either. My brother is the one that got me into playing at first, but hasn’t been able to keep up. I was looking for a way to show him what had taken place over the last year, but there’s no one single place to go for that. Even the wiki has information spread over different character pages, or is just plain missing some.

(edited by Xyvol.1265)

in Living World

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

Her biggest gripe has been that there’s no way to go back and experience the single player missions that explain what’s been going on, or even re-watch the cut scenes. I can’t find anyone who’s put together anything comprehensive on Youtube either.

That would be a momentous task. There was so much dialogue that was not presented in cutscenes and some of it was important to the story. A Youtube video like this would take ages to compile, because you’d have to literally play and record a year’s worth of mission instances. It would probably be hours long, and of course, anyone who would’ve actually WANTED to compile such a thing would’ve had to have started diligently archiving it from the very beginning of Flame & Frost.

Arenanet tried to throw the playerbase a bone by launching the “Living World Atlas” but it is not a sufficient solution in any respect.

If the previous rewards offered in the Living Story chapters could be acquired again I’m all for a “time machine” approach that allows you to replay the content; after all, our client files are bloated with all of that previous content even though it’s inaccessible to us. They may as well put it to use.

If they aren’t going to allow people to reclaim past rewards, however, I’d rather they just kill the Living Story and retire it permanently. It is an experimental approach that simply hasn’t worked.

in Living World

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

A good idea. I would love to see that.
However there is one drawback: I doubt there would be enough people. At the end of the LA event, people were already bored and almost nobody was doing the quests and there was even not enough people on the knights.
So I think that the archived events would be most likely abandoned.
But thinking about fractals, what about do make a fractal for every event, or rework the events into dungeons, or raidlike instances for numerous groups?

in Living World

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

in Living World

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

How about making old zerg-centered LS content temporarily available the same way Daily Activities are? It could be a new daily/monthly achievement category.

Defend Lion’s Arch from the Karka
Slay the Ancient Karka
Marionette
Climb to the top of the Tower of Nightmares
Rescue 1200 Citizens

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

A good idea. I would love to see that.
However there is one drawback: I doubt there would be enough people. At the end of the LA event, people were already bored and almost nobody was doing the quests and there was even not enough people on the knights.
So I think that the archived events would be most likely abandoned.

If that were true, explain why people run the dungeons and fractals even though experienced players have gone through them tons of times. The reason we don’t see many pugs for the dungeons and fractals is because folks prefer to create a team with their fellow guildies. The same goes for Teq, Wurm, and other events in the game. Many guilds have a regular event schedule, but their schedules aren’t known to the general public.

For example, if a person wants to do only Fractals, they join a Fractals-only guild like Fractals of the Mind (FOTM). Some guilds, like Apocalyptic Armageddon (AARM), do a little bit of everything.

Anet could always scale down the fights for both solo players and 5 person teams. As long as the loot is good (read: lots of gold, ascended mats, unique items, etc.), people will replay the LS events.

(edited by kta.6502)

in Living World

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

Unfortunately it appears they are more fond of using Fractals to replay old content, as evidenced with the now returning Aetherblade Retreat/Molten Furnace through Fractals.

Tis likely for that same reason we will see a Scarlets Playhouse/ Toxic Tower / Scarlets End fractal.