[Slightly Spoilery] Friendly Centaurs

in Living World

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

Maybe I am being too sensitive, but shouldn’t human NPCs and PCs be a little more concerned/shocked that there are peaceful Centaurs not involved in the perpetual war that has been plaguing Kryta? I mean, you come out of a secret cave in Scarlet’s dorm and suddenly there they are. They don’t stop you, ask you what’s going on, tell us they have been watching us, or anything. You just sorta stroll right by like it isn’t a big deal.

Just felt like a bit of an oversight, especially for Jory and Kasmeer.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Living World

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The very first one you see your character asks why they aren’t hostile and says we aren’t used to it. What do you want to happen, slit her throat even though she’s being helpful?

in Living World

Posted by: Leallax.1482

Leallax.1482

yeah if you talk to the first one you run across, they talk about how they’ve been watching and saw the Zephyrites crash and basically explain themselves.

If you want to know background info, you can look for it and you will find it. But some people are just after map completion/achievements, so they don’t really care why the centaurs are there, so you don’t have to know if you don’t want to.

in Living World

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

There were peaceful centaurs in LA before Scarlet attack
We know about Ventari from wink-wink Maguuma Jungle
Plus, try to talk with some of them – there is dialogs like WTF Y R NOT TRYING TO KILL ME
I don’t see “oversights”

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

Their greeting occasionally plays something that sounds similar to one of the tenets on the Ventari Tablet. The tablet says “Act with wisdom, but act,” and the centaurs say something along the lines of “always act with wisdom.” Makes sense because the centaurs don’t have the tablet anymore.

in Living World

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

I guess, I expected it to be a little more “in your face”. Like even a part of that first cut scene when you emerge from the cave.

You are all right that the info is there if you seek it out (and I do), I just thought it deserved a slightly bigger or more integrated role considering the current setting.

My two copper anyway.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Their greeting occasionally plays something that sounds similar to one of the tenets on the Ventari Tablet. The tablet says “Act with wisdom, but act,” and the centaurs say something along the lines of “always act with wisdom.” Makes sense because the centaurs don’t have the tablet anymore.

Centaurs never had “the tablet” in the first place.

Ventari was a solitary voice for peace in the region a long time ago (even had his own town, named after him. despite the fact that everywhere else in dry top it was all white mantle and magumma centaurs massacring each other.

Ventari failed in convincing the local centaurs of his outlook, which is why he went on to live in isolation and nuture the seed that eventually became the pale tree.

These new magumma centaurs are, if you talk to them, obviously the offspring of an independant idealogical splinter group which stem from the same older centaur tradtions that ventari believed in, however Ventari was never their leader. In fact, Ventari was never a leader of any group of centaurs. He was a hermit/monk that humans respected because of his beliefs, and centaurs didn’t bother murdering because he was a crazy old man.

“The tablet” is simply Ventari’s manifesto which was left specifically for the sylvari that would come after he died, as he realized he would not be around to teach them those lessons himself. It’s only a revered artifact because the sylvari believe it to be so. It has no significance or relevance to any centaurs anywhere in tyria.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

It seems like a stretch they aren’t descended from centaurs influenced by Ventari. He obviously told others about his ideas and someone somewhere must have listened. Why would they quote something so similar to what Ventari said? And have the same mindset?

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It seems like a stretch they aren’t descended from centaurs influenced by Ventari. He obviously told others about his ideas and someone somewhere must have listened. Why would they quote something so similar to what Ventari said? And have the same mindset?

Because ventari’s viewpoint descended from the same ancient centaur traditions these centaur talk about. It’s not a matter of being influenced by ventari, but rather ventari and these centaurs drawing from the same, even older traditions.

That’s what they say when you ask them about it anyway. They’ve never heard of ventari.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Peace for centaurs is way older.

The Kournan centaurs were quite friendly too.

The ones in the Crystal Desert, Kryta, Maguuma and the Shiverpeaks are kind of the ones that went bad. We just see more of them because it’s an RPG, and it makes more sense to have a lot ore of NPCs we fight than neutral ones, but that doesn’t mean they are the ones closer to the original. They are just extremists spurred by some leaders with some agenda, like Flame Legion.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

The Kournan centaurs were quite friendly too.

The Kournan centaurs were slaves though. They weren’t always friendly, they just weren’t necessarily hostile.

“Freedom or death! The Veldrunner pride will be shackled no longer!”
“Thank you for coming to our aid! We will teach these Kournans what it means to mess with the Veldrunner pride!”

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

Vines are growing in mass, strangling innocent lives, and converging all around you. You’re worried about a race who practically opens its doors for you so that you may pass through and survive? I figure that would be the least of my concerns at that point….

That being said, you can actually ask them why they’re being kind and they’ll tell you.