So Invasions will stay forever?

in Living World

Posted by: Nicron.2794

Nicron.2794

Hi
I did not find any official statement to that topic
I was wondering if the invasions will stop
It seems pretty strange to me, that they will go on and on and on…

Sry if i missed a statement, but i rly want to know whats the plan for that

Greetings from germany

in Living World

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

Probably until we kill scarlet whenever that living story ever happens.

in Living World

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Probably until we kill scarlet whenever that living story ever happens.

Also while invasions may be going away when Scarlet bites it, if that ever happens, I think the devs have stated that invasion type zone wide events are something that they want to do in the future.

So yes, they will stay… they may change in form at some indeterminate time in the future but their main mechanic will remain in game.

in Living World

Posted by: Emmalouise.1763

Emmalouise.1763

At the moment I would say they could be quite useful with the implementation of ess of luck. From an invasion you get a numeroous amounts of blues and greens

www.girlgamerchronicles.com

in Living World

Posted by: Kassell.3429

Kassell.3429

They have said that they are staying. So unless something in the story changes, there here for good.

in Living World

Posted by: Nicron.2794

Nicron.2794

can u post the source?

in Living World

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I think Scarlets being treated as a kinda of world boss now. only difference is its announced and from what I can tell random time and location which I think is rather nice.

#ELEtism

in Living World

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I hope so…really hard to catch atm thou…only managed to do 3 since they stopped being every hour…

in Living World

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

I’ll be the source. The invasions are sticking around until the Scarlet storyline is complete. Telling you exactly when it will end would probably spoil a lot of stuff. You can at least count on them regularly occurring through the end of this year.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’ll be the source. The invasions are sticking around until the Scarlet storyline is complete. Telling you exactly when it will end would probably spoil a lot of stuff. You can at least count on them regularly occurring through the end of this year.

“Die die die. Die die die, die die.”

;)

in Living World

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I wonder if the player reaction was like expected. It’s interesting how masses of players often find ways to play new content which doesn’t seem like intended from the devs. Pro: devs will learn a lot for future mechanics. Contra: Players may feel like guinea pigs and content seems less polished. I’d like to know how many players are in the testing-sessions before an update goes live.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Posted by: Empressium.5482

Empressium.5482

mind u keep invasion like living story events for future? Its much more fun than the usual boring waste of time living story cheesy plots not to mention it increased the quality of community’s communication despite all the controvercies

in Living World

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I actually enjoyed most of these invasions— it’s kind of refreshing and sort of engaging when you lead a zerg from point to point to get the event done … well … if it weren’t for those farming Aetherblades (but that’s another thread all together).

After the Scarlet story arc has concluded, could we expect zone-wide invasions from other opposing factions?

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

in Living World

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

I didn’t like Scarlet’s Invasions as I think while it introduced many invasion opportunities it sacrificing quality to do so. We have a lot of zones that can be invaded by Scarlet, but in the zones they occur it doesn’t feel all too relevant. The enemies just sit there in the fields waiting to be killed. Despite the event text saying they are invading the zone, they aren’t actually attempting to seize objectives and our NPC allies in those zones aren’t attempting to prevent them from doing so. There is no build up to the invasions in the zone, they just suddenly appear. When completed (fail or success) the outcome is the same and the zone remains unaffected, save the invasion going away. This type of “questing” was what Colin and Ree specifically criticized in the manifesto video.

I think invasions would be better suited for the existing world bosses, especially the dragon champions. Early on in GW 2 development I recall a developer mentioning that if Tequatl failed and players didn’t respond to its attack that it would remain an ever threatening presence in the zone until dealt with. It would over time take over the zone by corrupting the surrounding area and sending its minions to take objectives across the entire zone. This sounds like an invasion to me, and one much more interesting than Scarlet.

One objection I hear to ideas like this are it can prevent map completion, which is required for legendaries, skill points, and getting a sizable XP boost and other rewards. To me this is more of a problem with map completion being a rewarding goal, than with a fun and challenging encounter like this. When rewards get in the way of adding fun and interesting activities, it’s the rewards that need reevaluating, not the fun content. Rewards should supplement your fun, not replace it. Some people may still find getting map completion rewarding, even if it rewarded nothing; but I see no problem putting map completion (or legendary acquisition) behind challenging content, especially when you are in what is now a dragon’s controlled territory.

Going forward are there plans to add the invasion mechanics to other meta-events, say the Tequatl event failing? Are there plans to increase the quality of the invasions so they better mesh with Arena Net’s stated design goals for events in the manifesto?

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Staying forever is unnecessary. The formula (with some tweaking to balance out winning and farming a bit better) can be repeated in similar forms for future Dragon minion attacks (eg Jormag sending Svanir and Icebrood down into southern shiverpeaks). I liked the concept of invasion and I can see it being a blueprint for more world scale events long after the weedkiller is poured on Scarlet once and for all.

It could also be used to flesh out the Centaur/Human war or maybe Separatist/evil Charr attacks on Ebonhwake. Possibilites are endless

(edited by Randulf.7614)

in Living World

Posted by: alwinp.2791

alwinp.2791

Is scarlet some kind of boss?

I ran into an event today with a bunch of electronic type of enemies and in the end a boss. I think it was scarlet, a bunch of people showed up (unlike other live events that just seem to take place for no reason as there’s no single player near that area)

I also got a really big reward when the event finished.
Is this the living world thing people are complaining about? cause i almost got 2 full levels out of it and I don’t think i even hate this in a slightest bit

in Living World

Posted by: Hazerdagreek.5140

Hazerdagreek.5140

I love the scarlet invasions, I always stop what I’m doing in game and jump to the area being invaded, usually still make it to an overflow because so many people rush there.