So is it dwarf or...

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

At the end of the last chapter I thought there was a small chance that the Mursaat have changed their ways (like the Charr) and might (smaller chance) become the next playable race. The obvious choice from the vanilla game (the Tengu) seems further & further away with each expansion.

It gets me leaning towards the stone dwarves making a comeback.

What says you?

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

(edited by DresdenAllblack.1249)

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

I think this episode suggests that the dwarves are ahead.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The dwarves are virtually wiped out and aren’t being replenished. The chances of any new race are extremely slim, but dwarves chances are pretty much zero.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Are we all going to be young, new stone dwarves starting out of their racial city when there haven’t been any new dwarves in over 250 years and they no longer are a reproductive race? Or are we going to start off as 250 year old stone dwarves that have been underground fighting primordis? Either way doesn’t make sense.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

The head of a dwarf means nothing. Unless you think that decapitated statues are a cool race idea.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

The dwarf was one of four apparently who have been on the ring of fire for 250 years or so.

It does, however, provide interesting viewpoints on the durability of Stone dwarves. Do their heads have to be destroyed in order to be dead? Could they reform/rebuild each other if they had all the parts? Rhodan is a head, neck, and beard (and one shoulder I think), with his thumb nearby, yet can talk and is alive.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Sernius Alathar.6538

Sernius Alathar.6538

Or with Primordus’s death do the dwarves become flesh again, Dragon death = Rite of the Great Dwarf concluding? Rhoban becomes an oozing mass of viscera?

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I think it’s safe to say that all the elder races are out. The Seer are extinct, the Forgotten have withdrawn to who knows where (maybe the Crystal Desert?), the Mursaat were wiped out with the War on Kryta if not sooner, leaving only Lazarus, the Dwarves are down to 1.2 known active members, and the Jotun are almost universally aggressive to the sentient races.

If we are getting a new race (which honestly looks slim after HoT only gave us a new profession), it’s most likely a young race that has yet to join the forces. We can’t rule the tengu out yet, the kodan are still potential if we fight Jormag, and the largos are still mysterious enough that they might help.

And just for the sake of inclusion, I don’t think any of the “lesser races” will be included, either. The skritt are definitely out, as their variable intelligence would just be too random. The quaggan are still far too peaceful, even if a few have started to embrace the rage. The ogres are still kind of sparse on the eastern edge of Ascalon. The grawl, who were a major enemy in GW1, have pretty much disappeared from many of the maps. Really, the hylek seem like the best candidates, but they don’t seem like the types to build a grand city like the major races have.

It does, however, provide interesting viewpoints on the durability of Stone dwarves. Do their heads have to be destroyed in order to be dead? Could they reform/rebuild each other if they had all the parts? Rhodan is a head, neck, and beard (and one shoulder I think), with his thumb nearby, yet can talk and is alive.

I’m pretty sure the dwarves lost the ability to heal, too. If it was simply a matter of sticking Rhoban on a new stone statue, he’d have asked someone to do so. No, I think once a dwarf is damaged, it becomes irreparable, just like marking a statue. But it might be that so long as the head remains, it can still communicate. Maybe if the head is destroyed but the body is fine, it will keep attacking aimlessly. That could be an interesting boss fight for the future.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

We have no confirmation on the Seers being extinct at all.

Forgotton are gone from Tyria apparently, the ones that remain are within the six god’s realms.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Forgotton are gone from Tyria apparently, the ones that remain are within the six god’s realms.

I’m pretty sure they were a dying race even in GW1’s days, and we only ever met one Seer in all that time. Even if they aren’t extinct, they face the same problem as the Forgotten: unseen from these lands for centuries.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Kusa.6438

Kusa.6438

Ever acts like the story of Guild wars is written fact.
Though I don’t care either way as far as dwarves go… It always bothers me when people act like lore can’t be changed…

For all we know, there was a band of dwarves who, instead of turning to stone, decided to sail into unknown lands and start new… Now that the threat of prim has gotten even greater, they hear their calling and join the fight… They wouldn’t be stone either. Just normal dwarves.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

I’m pretty sure they were a dying race even in GW1’s days, and we only ever met one Seer in all that time. Even if they aren’t extinct, they face the same problem as the Forgotten: unseen from these lands for centuries.

Well, the Mursaat in GW1 were also hunting them down. As the Tablets suggest, they harbored a whole lot of vengeance towards the Seers, among the others (Dwarves and Jotun) for refusing to help aid against the Elder Dragons.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Bjarkov.9751

Bjarkov.9751

I’m sorry guys, but I don’t think we will get anymore playable races. Anet has surprised lately though, so maybe… But I think the chances are very low, so don’t get your hopes too high.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: WannaFeel.7082

WannaFeel.7082

I’m sorry guys, but I don’t think we will get anymore playable races. Anet has surprised lately though, so maybe… But I think the chances are very low, so don’t get your hopes too high.

Yea, think so too…. more likely we will get new weapon types, like polearms maybe ? :- )

According to the way gw1 and gw2 looks, we might be able to have playable races like skirts and maybe dregde or birdlike humanoids (dont remmember race name) in gw3 :- p

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Very likely race that could be added into GW2:

1. Tengu (The most likely race, if one is added at some point)
  2. Skritt (From here the likelyhood drops significantly, Skritt being starting point)
  3. Largos
I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I think this episode suggests that the dwarves are a head.

And most of a torso.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Stitch.1794

And most of a torso.

Finally. I was beginning to think everyone had taken my post seriously (or maybe they were just ignoring me and hoping I’d go away and take my puns with me).

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

And most of a torso.

Finally. I was beginning to think everyone had taken my post seriously (or maybe they were just ignoring me and hoping I’d go away and take my puns with me).

Glad to see that had someone in Stitch(.1794)es. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Just the one dwarf is a head (and a thumb).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Dulwitch.8976

Dulwitch.8976

I personally don’t see a point to adding any new playable races to GW2 we got 4 as it was, so why would we need more?.

Sure if they ever do another Guild wars game then maybe another playable race, maybe it could be a prequel to all the stuff in GW1 so no Slyvari. But we would have Norn’s, Human’s, asuras, charr and something else. To be honest it’s all speculation.

To be strong as the roots and bold as the earth,
Free as the wind and subtle as the rain upon my leaves.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I see what you did there.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

I personally don’t see a point to adding any new playable races to GW2 we got 4 as it was, so why would we need more?.

O_o I thought there were 5 playable races?

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Very likely race that could be added into GW2:

1. Tengu (The most likely race, if one is added at some point)
  2. Skritt (From here the likelyhood drops significantly, Skritt being starting point)
  3. Largos

Gotta add one more to that list…

Kodan if we happen to go north…

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Dulwitch.8976

Dulwitch.8976

O_o I thought there were 5 playable races?

there are 5 playable races BUT humans where playable in GW1 the 4 new playable ones where added for GW2 and they are:

Asura
Charr
Norn
Slyvari

To be strong as the roots and bold as the earth,
Free as the wind and subtle as the rain upon my leaves.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Stitch.1794

Good point – my joke is a bust.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

HalfLife 3 confirmed

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Good point – my joke is a bust.

I see what you did there AGAIN! You’re still doing it!

I’d rather not have playable dwarves. They should remain rare sights. Plus, well, I personally don’t find them aesthetically pleasing. Not due to the dwarfiness but due to the low-rez stiffness and the cartoony facial structure. For me they’d need enough of an art overhaul that the forums would then be full of GW1 fans yelling about how “these aren’t real dwarves.”

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

Though I don’t care either way as far as dwarves go… It always bothers me when people act like lore can’t be changed…

For all we know, there was a band of dwarves who, instead of turning to stone, decided to sail into unknown lands and start new… Now that the threat of prim has gotten even greater, they hear their calling and join the fight… They wouldn’t be stone either. Just normal dwarves.

So that’s what all those short pirates were. I just assumed they were asura wearing disguises.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Siniorica Sunmist.7218

Siniorica Sunmist.7218

Why would they go like free to play games and add a gender based race? Quaggans FTW, Dwarves DOWN. Also if we have to be fair… Kodans are a race with a decent chance to pop up if we have to follow the story and the awakening of the Jormag as well.. Wonder why Kodans are never in top 3?

(edited by Siniorica Sunmist.7218)

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It actually is a written fact that every single dwarf were supernaturally compelled to undergo the Rite of the Great Dwarf.

In other words, they didn’t have a choice. Some resisted the call at first, but every single one had succumbed to it within 50 years of the first casting of the Rite.

It’s a written lore fact that there are no normal dwarves left.

And the stone dwarves left at this point are very, very rare – and so far, in solely isolated places.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Stitch.1794

Ok, no more puns, i promise. I’ll be serious.

The dwarves really are a bust. Plenty of good reasons above, but for me the key thing is our characters start out green. All the remaining dwarves are grizzled, battle-hardened veterans that have been around for 250 years or more. This doesn’t fit with being a new character.

Skritt are out, too, along with hylek, ogres, grawl and quaggan. They’re known as the lesser races. It wouldn’t make sense for a PC to baby sit and patronise one of them, and yet also belong to one of the five races. Skritt have the added problem of their hive mind. A single skritt player should be significantly weaker than a full party of skritt, which gives a gameplay problem – why should one player be penalised based on what race other players choose?

Other existing races seem unlikely too. Borrowing reasons I’ve seen others use before – Kodan don’t wear much , meaning not much customization available to the player, Largos have wings, requiring rework of every armour set (think how long it’s taken so far to get just one set of legendary armour), and how exactly would a dagger/dagger Centaur thief’s death blossom animation work?

So, this brings me to my top three for most likely to be new races.

1) Tengu

Yeah, predicatable. We already know that they use the Charr model, so it’s not like they’d have to rework armour skins to fit them, with the added advantage that they wouldn’t have to worry about tails. There are pretty obvious placeholders in the world map for a city and starter zone. It also fits with lore – destroyers are prevalent along the northern border of their territory, so it makes sense for them to break their isolation and seek allies around the time we’re facing down Primordus.

2) Foreign humans

Canthans in a Cantha expansion, or Elonians in an Elona expansion. It could even be broken down further, Canthans being a choice between Imperial, Luxon or Kurzik, and Elonians being from Istan, Vabbi, or Kourna. Why foreign humans? Purely practical reasons – no work would be needed at all to fit exisiting armour to them. Plus who doesn’t want to go back to either continent?

3) Razah

Humans are not indiginous to Tyria. Given the existance of the mists, there’s no good reason to assume the next playable race will be either. Back in GW1, Razah was born of the mists, so perhaps somewhere in the mists there’s a whole civilization of mist-born creatures like Razah. As with foreign humans, it adds a new race without needing to rework existing armour, as Razah’s form was essentially human,

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Actually It would be quite cool to reintroduce the dwarfs as a Stone Dwarf race. They do not have to reproduce by normal means. hell, they might have found a way to carve statues and imbue pieces of their souls into the rock thus making new dwarfs

So is it dwarf or...

in Living World

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

Actually Stone Dwarens fit well to being new character.
Stone Dwaren Character Creation:
I have uttmost pride of my kind in … (Alkar, Kilroy, Ogden, Jalis, Blackpowder).
I always liked hammering .. (destroyers, stone summit, wurms).
Races on the surface killed to Elder Dragons boosting the remaining one I that challenge I will … ( Teach young ones about Primordus, Let them teach me about powers of Jugle and Death Dragons, Toss myself with impet into even fiercer battle and do what I can).

In first choice we do something with their legacy or interact with them if alive.
In second with do some vanquish/slayer thingy. (Stone summit left their runes full of hexes and curses so we would detonate those bombs or fight with some ghosts).
In last choice we met those from above the surface. Managing them in fire aspect, being led in jungle/death aspect or everything in that in chaos and bloodbath. That chapter conclude with met of our poo-bah ex commander and his band.

For chapters before introduce we will use some artifacts from Ogden/Priory/Alkar/Dwarens/Glint.