Soooo Destiny's Edge, Where Are You?

in Living World

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

I don’t know about all ‘yall, but to me, where the heck has Destiny’s Edge been? They were such an integral part to the story of the game and then since living world hit, they have just, idk, taken vacation?

And in all honesty, it hasn’t really bothered me up until now, with the new Tequatl Rising content update. A new evolved stronger dragon champion, and all they send is Rox??? Destiny’s Edge should be there fighting along side all of us, imo.

….. I mean did ANet just forget about them? Are they trying to sweep them under the rug? Why is Destiny’s Edge absent from basically every single huge event that has happened since the felling of Zhaitan. If we don’t get a vacation from these world changing events, then why do they?

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Rytlock appears in Flame and Frost. He is the one who sent Rox to investigate the molten alliance. He is also a high ranking member of his legion so that would keep him busy. He also sent Rox to the Jubilee and to investigate Tequatl.

Eir appeared during Flame and Frost and had a brief discussion with Braham. Admitedly she has done very little and has no obvious reasons for why she has been doing nothing.

Logan had a cameo during the Dragon Bash when he hired Kasmeer and Marjory. He also played a major role during the Queen’s Jubilee. He has a day job as Captain of the Seraph so he is busy with that.

Caithe appears at the beginning of the Twilight Assault trailer so I suspect she will play a major role in that release.

Zojja is MIA as far as I know.

As a guild they don’t appear to be doing anything, as individuals they are busy doing different things. I don’t know why the writers decided to ditch them for new characters with the Living Story. The story takes place after the Personal Story so there are no crossover issues (I guess you could spoil that they are all alive – something which is a spoiler for Arah explorable). I guess they wanted their own cast of characters to play with. They wanted to tell new stories and didn’t want to be tied down by the roles and responsibilities of the old cast of characters.

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’d pay money to never have Destiny’s Edge injected into my Personal Story, the Living Story, Dungeon Story Modes, side-quests, or any other part of this game.

in Living World

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Logan and the Queen are still making that baby that she hasn’t announced because Scarlet crashed the party…

Eir’s attending failed parents annonymous meetings.
Rytlock is being his badkitten self.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Living World

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Zojja is MIA as far as I know.

/sniff

I’m sure whatever Zojja is doing is amazing and important and is far better than what the rest of Destiny’s Edge are doing.

I dare say that she is working on the maguffin that will allow us to end Scarlet’s threat once and for all.

Set a genius to catch a genius, after all.

in Living World

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Well, from a practical standpoint, it probably costs them a lot more to bring the DE voice actors (Felicia Day!) in to record a few lines, than it does for the voice actors they have for the new characters.

The DE actors are also more likely to have scheduling conflicts and not be able to record in time.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Well, from a practical standpoint, it probably costs them a lot more to bring the DE voice actors (Felicia Day!) in to record a few lines, than it does for the voice actors they have for the new characters.

The DE actors are also more likely to have scheduling conflicts and not be able to record in time.

Probably this. Kind makes me sad that we don’t see them much now. But hey, we get to be the actual heroes more!..sorta.

in Living World

darkace.8925

It’s not just the cost, it’s the fact that their work would be temporary. If the voiced work were going to remain in the game forever, then it’s a lot easier to justify the expense. If their work is just going to be in the game for two weeks, then that’s a lot harder to swallow.

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The game design has two stories in parallel. For each individual character, the living story may be taking place before, after, or during the personal story. The designers realized that the same characters cannot have active roles in both story lines so when you see Destiny’s Edge or Queen Jennah in the Living Story you know that they will essentially play their starting character and have no character development. Anything can happen to Rox, Braham, Kiel, and Scarlet since they were not in the personal story. This is exactly why those new characters were created.

in Living World

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

The game design has two stories in parallel. For each individual character, the living story may be taking place before, after, or during the personal story.

This cannot be the case. If the player character is before the Pact formation the Aetherblades could not have stolen Pact airships. If the player is post-Zhaitan, then Logan cannot be with the Queen, as he is during the last few arcs, as he pledged not to be:

“Caithe: Will you return to your queen now, Logan?
Logan Thackeray: No. Not until I know that Kryta’s safe.”

There are too many plot holes introduced to the game if the Living story takes place at anytime during the personal story.

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

The enhanced dragon story arc is just starting. We’ve done scavenger hunt investigations, but we don’t have any answers or conclusion about what is going on yet. There’s plenty of time for more-important-than-your-character NPCs to show up.

in Living World

darkace.8925

The enhanced dragon story arc is just starting. We’ve done scavenger hunt investigations, but we don’t have any answers or conclusion about what is going on yet. There’s plenty of time for more-important-than-your-character NPCs to show up.

I’d hardly call that a “story”. It was a message, a quick “chat” with Rox, and the typical “click F a bunch of times” busywork. That’s not a story.

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I’d hardly call that a “story”. It was a message, a quick “chat” with Rox, and the typical “click F a bunch of times” busywork. That’s not a story.

To be fair, it don’t really recall any of the lip-flapping of the forgettable Destiny’s Edge NPCs from the personal story anyway, so whatever they do will likely register as essentially a non-story anyway.

in Living World

Stooperdale.3560

“There are too many plot holes introduced to the game if the Living story takes place at anytime during the personal story.”

Yes there are plot holes being introduced but that is the way ANet are doing it. The living story is restricted in order to keep the personal story valid. The living story uses no character history as anyone can join in at any stage regardless of anything they have done or have not done. You will presumably be able to fight Scarlet in the TA update irrespective of your anything you’ve done with the personal story, the living story, twilight arbor story, or twilight arbor explorable.

in Living World

SirMoogie.9263

Yes there are plot holes being introduced but that is the way ANet are doing it. The living story is restricted in order to keep the personal story valid. The living story uses no character history as anyone can join in at any stage regardless of anything they have done or have not done. You will presumably be able to fight Scarlet in the TA update irrespective of your anything you’ve done with the personal story, the living story, twilight arbor story, or twilight arbor explorable.

I’m not sure what definition of ‘validity’ you are using, but validity in the logical sense preserves consistency. The way they are handling things invalidates the personal story as it creates inconsistencies with it. For example, someone not yet forming the Pact is inconsistent with the Living story arc with Aetherblades, who stole Pact airships..

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

in Living World

Stooperdale.3560

“I’m not sure what definition of ‘validity’ you are using, but validity in the logical sense preserves consistency. The way they are handling things invalidates the personal story as it creates inconsistencies with it. For example, someone not yet forming the Pact is inconsistent with the Living story arc with Aetherblades, who stole Pact airships..”

No, we don’t know what sense of ‘validity’ ANet are using except that they create that sort of plot hole and excuse it away. To be fair to them, MMOs have always made no sense when it comes to timelines and repeatable content. It’s futile to look for perfection in a game where players have the potential to play timelined stories together when they are at different points in a timeline.

in Living World

SirMoogie.9263

It’s futile to look for perfection in a game where players have the potential to play timelined stories together when they are at different points in a timeline.

I don’t recall where I said I’m looking for what you’re calling “perfection”. All I’m looking for is a clear history of events, not a linear presentation of those events (though a clear indication of where they happen would be nice). It’s one thing to say that these personal story events can be done at any point by the player, but historically speaking they occur before Southsun Cove was established (which is what the wiki says 1); and what you’re claiming, that these events occur whenever you are in your personal story, kitten the lore plot holes are fun. I’m not asking that they present your personal story as if it coincides with the Living World, just that the story they tell remains consistent with a timeline (not necessarily the one you as a player experience). Guild Wars (original) handled and presented this nicely. You were able to do missions your character was not part of historically, the game just said these events already happened.

1http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Southsun_Cove

in Living World

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

….. I mean did ANet just forget about them? Are they trying to sweep them under the rug? Why is Destiny’s Edge absent from basically every single huge event that has happened since the felling of Zhaitan. If we don’t get a vacation from these world changing events, then why do they?

You may want to ask yourself a question – do most players like Destiny’s Edge or want to have anything to do with them as a group?

As a group, Destiny’s Edge are bickering, whinging, ill-tempered, and petty.

As individuals, they’re all pretty cool!

As individuals, they’ve all re-appeared in various Living Story things and have been fine.

So perhaps that answers the question. But there’s more – if they do appear as a group, they are basically the same as a PC group, only, they take away from the PCs by doing the same things, but being more important than them. So perhaps they are all better off being “civilians”, as it were, and leaving the PCs as the ones actually sorting the world out?

The only fun use I could think for them as a group would be if you did a dungeon “with” them – i.e. you had to split your group and have two people to with three Destiny’s Edge guys, and three people go with two Destiny’s Edge people, and do it that way – that might be fun. Or just have DE backing up (NOT LEADING!) your group.

But seriously, let’s keep them separated – they all have “real jobs” now, don’t they? Logan sure does. Pretty sure Caithe does. Eir kind of does. Rytlock definitely does. Not sure about Zojja. Let them do those real jobs, and let US do the adventuring. It’s fun to help one of them at a time, but to deal with the how squabbling bunch of them? Please no.

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’d pay money to never have Destiny’s Edge injected into my Personal Story, the Living Story, Dungeon Story Modes, side-quests, or any other part of this game.

^Exactly this. Destiny’s Edge is a pain. Terribly dull Mary Sue characters, that diminish the importance of the player’s character. They are what kills the story for me.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)