Suggestion: Fossilized Insect for Geodes

in Living World

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

A option for those with no RNG luck.

My suggestion, offer the Fossilized insect from the geode vender as a t4/t5 reward for 2600/2000 geodes. (This puts it in the 140-160 worth of lockpicks in value.)

This option is clearly not for everyone, but it would offer those without any luck an option for obtaining the fossil without relying on RNG.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’d rather they just make the Unid Fossils be tradable. I’ve got two Fossils now and since I don’t want the Ambrite weapons, they’re completely useless to me.

in Living World

Posted by: Meadfreek.6789

Meadfreek.6789

A option for those with no RNG luck.

My suggestion, offer the Fossilized insect from the geode vender as a t4/t5 reward for 2600/2000 geodes. (This puts it in the 140-160 worth of lockpicks in value.)

This option is clearly not for everyone, but it would offer those without any luck an option for obtaining the fossil without relying on RNG.

I wish! I wish! I wish!

But I hope it wouldn’t be for that many geodes. Maybe half what you suggest. Anet says they want to increase the amount of support builds. And this stat combo is pure support. Most people that want them just want the skin.

Mead
Tol Acharn [PHNX]
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Meadfreek.6789)

in Living World

Iarkrad.8415

2600/2000 is a point where it is obviously inefficent unless you are hopelessly unlucky, but still allows these weapons to maintain their prestige while being more accessible.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

in Living World

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I’d rather they just make the Unid Fossils be tradable. I’ve got two Fossils now and since I don’t want the Ambrite weapons, they’re completely useless to me.

Agreed. I only have one, but I have no interest in Ambrite or Nomad gear, so I simply have no use for them. I also don’t want to destroy mine, because it feels so wasteful due to the rarity of the item itself.

What’s so terrible about allowing people to give it or trade it to somebody who does want it?

in Living World

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

same for me……….i don’t want mine.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Gating content behind a multi-step process doesn’t work too well, especially with RNG on the last step. There isn’t any skill or accomplishment in acquiring those. It’s all based on luck, which is fine in itself, but when luck is needed for your major content (the weapons) in an episode like this, it just leaves a bad impression on the player.

in Living World

Iarkrad.8415

Gating content behind a multi-step process doesn’t work too well, especially with RNG on the last step. There isn’t any skill or accomplishment in acquiring those. It’s all based on luck, which is fine in itself, but when luck is needed for your major content (the weapons) in an episode like this, it just leaves a bad impression on the player.

Thus… the 2600/2000. It provides a vary real alternative to RNG in this scenario without trivializing the existing RNG.

Perhaps allow conversions the other way to turn unneeded fossils into 100…500 Geodes.

in Living World

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

What’s so terrible about allowing people to give it or trade it to somebody who does want it?

Then it goes on the tp, like nearly every other skin the game. People will disagree about whether that’s a bad thing, and I’m not convinced there’s one right answer. Personally, though, I like having some skins in the game that you can’t just buy with gold (and there aren’t many, at least for weapons! fractals, mistforged, and now ambrite are the only ones I can think of, though I’m sure I’m forgetting something). I’d rather they make fossils available for some large amount of geodes, like the 2600/2000 suggestion. Turning unwanted fossils into geodes also sounds nice.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

(edited by One Note Chord.5031)

in Living World

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Then it goes on the tp, like nearly every other skin the game. People will disagree about whether that’s a bad thing, and I’m not convinced there’s one right answer. Personally, though, I like having some skins in the game that you can’t just buy with gold (and there aren’t many, at least for weapons! fractals, mistforged, and now ambrite are the only ones I can think of, though I’m sure I’m forgetting something). I’d rather they make fossils available for some large amount of geodes, like the 2600/2000 suggestion. Turning unwanted fossils into geodes also sounds nice.

With these particular skins, I have two fossils and no desire for them, at the same time as there’s threads about people wanting to find the things and being incapable of doing so. There’s no skill involved in obtaining the fossil, and, to my mind, no reason for them to be account-bound aside from ‘prestige,’ as a result of their being a random drop from chests that only need to be found.
If something isn’t going to be available on the Trading Post, it should have a reliable, skill-based means by which it can be gained, in my opinion.

As for trading them in for Geodes: this would still feel like a waste, what with the demand for them, but it’d give an option besides ‘you don’t want this? Welp, might as well throw that rare, in-demand object required for unlocking some very interesting skins in the dirt, or let it sit in your inventory gathering dust and taking up space.’

in Living World

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

If something isn’t going to be available on the Trading Post, it should have a reliable, skill-based means by which it can be gained, in my opinion.

I’m not convinced that the method has to be skill-based (though it’s great when some are)—buying things on the tp isn’t, and anyway I’m okay with Anet putting some cosmetics behind a simple grind—but I do think it should be reliable. And hey, Anet said they did too, once upon a time! But five months later they added fractal weapons. Whoops.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

(edited by One Note Chord.5031)

in Living World

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I got 1 fossil and am happy. Wouldn’t mind another but I won’t be sad if I don’t get any. I’ve seen people with 6 sitting in their bags, while others would kill for 1 without any luck. Not only are your chances of getting a fossil left to RNG, but if you do get one, then you have to pray you can get on a T4-5 map to buy the recipe (what I’m currently waiting for). In the future, when Dry Top isn’t running high pop event chains, that might be pretty infrequent.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Living World

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Imho, it is a bad idea to trade them with geodes, as they’re already needed to search for them in the normal way, due to lockpicks.
They could instead implement some other token – let’s call it “piece of fossilized amber” and change the loot tables for those chests.
Doing so, you would normally find pieces of fossilized amber, with a rare chance of getting a fossilized insect.
And those pieces of fossilized amber could be exchanged for an insect of choice, exactly as you would do with the fossilized insect.
Heh, they could even go all the SAB way and make the one got via tokens account bound and the one found in the chests tradable. Thus giving personal rewards for effort, and monetary ones for luck.