[Suggestion]: New Characters

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Please, give us new characters in the new Living Story.

I think many but not all posters on these forums happen to agree, 4/5 of the new Destiny’s Edge (Marjory, Kasmeer, Rox, Braham, and Taimi) are just uninteresting, controversial for the sake of controversy, or annoying. I’m not saying outright get rid of the characters, but, please, can’t we get some new characters with a little more thought behind them, and personality?

It feels like with each successive introduction of characters, they got better. Rox and Braham feel very flat and bland. Rox is a stereotypical charr being a stereotypical charr. She’s looking out for her warband, and fighting tooth and claw. Braham is the dumb jock with mommy issues. I hate to describe him that way, but that’s him to the letter. His answer to everything is brute force.

Marjory’s introduction was interesting with the film noire gritty detective angle, but to be honest, she hasn’t lived up to being a detective. For the most part, we solve the mysteries for her, while she takes the credit. Kasmeer felt more interesting, because she was not just a Mesmer, but also of the nobility, giving us a glimpse into Krytan culture and such. However, since these two were openly revealed as Lesbians, what little personality they had went down the toilet to keep pushing that, ’We’re a couple,’ angle. I think these two are still salvageable, but they need individual work, and their relationship needs to reach a less, in-your-face level. It’s fine for them to be in a corner kissing or talking about a date, but in the middle of a tragedy like Dry Top, it just doesn’t fit.

Taimi is the one character out of the five who seems the best developed at this time. Her illness doesn’t define her like Braham’s mommy issues or Marjory and Kasmeer’s relation does for those characters. Taimi’s illness -enhances- her personality, and boy does she ever have personality! Taimi is the kind of character I look forward to learning about in GW3, expecting her to have become the head of the Arcane Council who led the Asura to an era of prosperity and innovation and such. She’s already amazing, and yet she has all this awesome potential!

We need more characters like Taimi; characters who don’t outright usurp the Player-Character in terms of importance or role, who have a strong personality, and who aren’t defined by any single aspect of their character.

(edited by Vexander.9850)

in Living World

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I think most people agree

…that you would be wrong actually >.>

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in Living World

Vexander.9850

I think most people agree

…that you would be wrong actually >.>

Read the rest of the post. Also, read the forums. You’ll find people complaining about the characters left, right, and center.

This is the point where you’ll say most players don’t even use the forums. You’re right. And if they don’t make their viewpoint known, we can’t really say they agree or disagree, so for the point of the discussion, they’re not even a factor. We’d be pulling from the population of players who make posts on the forums, and that population typically has complaints on the new Destiny’s Edge.

in Living World

Posted by: Pibriamal.8719

Pibriamal.8719

Please continue to keep speaking for me.

You read the forums, and see a lot of complaints correct? This is called the vocal minority. Most of the people don’t mind the characters, and therefore are less likely to come on the forums and talk about them. Of course you get the occasional praise thread, but most of the time the only people talking are the ones that are upset.

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

Read the rest of the post. Also, read the forums. You’ll find people complaining about the characters left, right, and center.

Yes but it’s the same people over and over and over again.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

Posted by: Merchant Of Shadows.1526

Merchant Of Shadows.1526

I haven’t posted in over a year. I’m usually content to just read and enjoy. However, The fact that the OP did try to talk for everyone doesn’t matter. What he’s saying it true. The characters are defined by ONE thing and one thing only, and that does make for some fairly boring dialogue. OP you have to understand though. The devs are kinda screwed. This is the FIRST episode of season 2. That means that they have to “re-introduce” the characters again by showing important aspects of the characters by not boring the players with to much dialogue. How do you try and show a characters depth in a 30 second dialogue? It’s hard. So yes they did kind of push those things out there and yes maybe it wasn’t the best writing for them but they did what they could at the time. It should get better. It should be more interesting. Give it a month. If I’m wrong then I’m sorry. Feel free to move onto another game. If I’m right come back to the forums and write an apology!

in Living World

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

to me, all of them are great. I like them

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

in Living World

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

While I don’t think the B-iconics are the best characters ever written, they certainly aren’t terrible.

My opinion is, they are just fine. We don’t need new characters.
The OP can stop acting like they speak for anyone but themselves.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

in Living World

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Sorry, but Anet is too focused on lesbians, a dumb norn, a limping rat, and nancy drew storytelling. Oh, and a plant as a villain, even though she died.

in Living World

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Personally, I though the way the Biconics were written in Season 1 was very weak. They seemed one dimensional and very childish.

However, season 2 seems to be on the right foot. Taimi kind of stole the show I thought. Her interactions in Scarlet’s old house was very interesting. Marjory’s character seemed to have a bit of depth added with more talk of her mother and seeing her sister. I’m not a big fan of the “let’s make them lesbians just cause” feeling I got from Season 1. She seems more developed and maybe that just required some time.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing how these characters develop in Season 2. But yes. I would love to see new characters added. Specifically more diverse ones. Maybe a strong black male lead (Koss’ great x10? grandson or something) Maybe a Hero from one of the “lesser” races too, like a Hylek or Centaur.

Maybe even kill off one of the Biconics. If I got to choose I would pick Kasmeer in some tragic encounter with Mordremoth or one of his’ champs.

(edited by Prophet.6257)

in Living World

Vexander.9850

Since people seem so intent to focus on me, ‘speaking for them’ rather than reading the actual point of the topic, I’ll make an edit so they can reply to it rather than act offended. That said, I’m glad a few people read the points and were able to either see the logic, or acknowledge it but discuss why they disagree. You guys have my respect.

in Living World

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

The story delivery is Season 1 was not at all up to par. Due to this we have a lot of pre-conceptions of how the Biconics are from Season 1. Season 2 delivery is much better by orders of magnitude (for those of us that care about the story) with this delivery method they will be able to properly shape the characters.

At this moment there is not a lot of depth to any of them. At this moment I would say that Taimi has the most depth out of all of them because her personality was really able to shine in the last part of the episode. The rest of them are too basic to their generic form but this will change over time.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in Living World

Vexander.9850

The story delivery is Season 1 was not at all up to par. Due to this we have a lot of pre-conceptions of how the Biconics are from Season 1. Season 2 delivery is much better by orders of magnitude (for those of us that care about the story) with this delivery method they will be able to properly shape the characters.

At this moment there is not a lot of depth to any of them. At this moment I would say that Taimi has the most depth out of all of them because her personality was really able to shine in the last part of the episode. The rest of them are too basic to their generic form but this will change over time.

This I agree with. However, by the same token, I don’t see why we cannot have an influx of new characters as well. For example, something the Biconics are missing right now is a Sylvari member (for some reason I used to think they’d have saved Scarlet and she’d have been the last member, or that it’d have been that one I can’t recall from the Edge of the Mists and all). However, once all the races are properly represented, that gives Anet a chance to further branch out!

Let’s say, for example, now that we have an Asura, we can get two more, and we learn all three ascribe to different colleges? Or three more Norn who follow the ways of the other four Spirits? Two or three more charr from other Legions? Gives us a chance to really get into the cultures of these races.

I know we’d end up with a ton of characters, but if Anet brought back the Merc/Hero system of GW1 for Living Story and Personal Story, it could work out quite nicely. Take that one mission in the recent Living World where Rox, Braham, and Taimi have to stay behind because only the player character, Kasmeer, and Marjory could safely go forward due to weight issues. Imagine if the player could have selected from a pool of other characters, 3 more to accompany them? They don’t necessarily have to have any relevance to that specific segment of the story either, but having a few with hidden dialogue or options could really open up some options.

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

(…)
Marjory’s introduction was interesting with the film noire gritty detective angle, but to be honest, she hasn’t lived up to being a detective. (…)

Sometimes I drift towards thoughts like “what happened to that character …oh never mind, she’s right here”.

The introduction was, for me, indeed the best part.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”