Sylvari but meeting the Pale Tree is hard?

in Living World

Posted by: Andovar Edoras.2143

Andovar Edoras.2143

So, how come if my character is a sylvari, kasmeer claims its somehow difficult to get an audience with the Pale Tree? (after ‘’The Machine’’ quest) I mean, i’ve been there so many times already during my personal story. Would make sense if the character wasn’t a sylvari, but since he is…

in Living World

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

You should remember this is from the human experience. It is just a way to advance the story.

in Living World

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

You are not the only one who wants to talk with the Pale Tree. There are at least one million other so-called heroes waiting for an audience. Draw your number and wait.

in Living World

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Life is hard when your mother has as many children as leaves on a tree.

in Living World

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

You are not the only one who wants to talk with the Pale Tree. There are at least one million other so-called heroes waiting for an audience. Draw your number and wait.

We’re the Pact leader, and allies of Trahearne though, I would say that’s a little more than a so called hero.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

in Living World

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

It is also perhaps a discussion Mother Tree has been fearing must take place sometime. Maybe she needs a little time to prepare herself.

in Living World

Posted by: Vv W.7821

Vv W.7821

You’re not the only one who is trying to meet with the Pale Tree though. Do you really think the rest of your little band of adventurers are going to wait while you alone talk?

Redundant Sasquatch – 80 Warrior – [aYe] – HoD

in Living World

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

We’re the Pact leader, and allies of Trahearne though, I would say that’s a little more than a so called hero.

Yes there are one million pact leaders and all want to be treated like someone special.

Maybe the Pale Tree should give a very big audience like the pope does on Easter or Christmas. I hope the grove can harbor so many people.

(edited by Belenwyn.8674)

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

It is also perhaps a discussion Mother Tree has been fearing must take place sometime. Maybe she needs a little time to prepare herself.

On one hand, I feel so sorry for her! On the other hand, I must satisfy my curiosity! It is the Sylvari way after all. :P

Mama Tree does have alot of kids. As a work-at-home mother, she probably has to take time out for two things: (1) spending time with her children (esp. the saplings) and (2) getting some R&R for herself.

in Living World

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

Even though I can see the legitimacy of the criticism to the proposal by the OP. I (as a sylvari PC) can not agree more. Actually, I was entirely surprized by that line ?!

Why would kasmeer (a human) try to arrange a meeting with the Pale Tree, esp. if I am amongst one of the highest placed Sylvari around. Yes, for all other races but Sylvari, the process makes as much sense as any, YET, for all Sylvari players it feels like complete bonkers!

But! We have to consider that Anet turned their method of story telling around, and had to rethink their method of delivery. I mean, we can all see the difference between LS1 and LS2. If you analyse carefully you might have noticed that our fellow groupmembers have grown too, most noticeably. Rox & Braham seem to represent a more Vigil approach, while Kasmeer & Marjory seem to represent an order of whispers approach, then it is Taimi and ‘the story’ that represent the Durmond Priory side of things. The PC, well that entirely depends on the choice the player made, but by this split up the writers can make sure that during the story, each of the characters is put into a spotlight, with something that aligns with their characters, and as such each player can feel their choice is Represented in the story…

Now obviously going this route was as much as a trial as LS1 was, and due to the critique might also have been under a harsher time constraint. Now seeing that LS2 seems to be well received by most of the community (except by a select few people that might be better off looking for a game that does suit their wants). ‘We’ have decided that this is a good way to go forward…

Then, obviously this is a good point of critique, we have found a format that does well for the community, the game and the story. Now it’s about adding the details that make it ‘make sense’ for the races, the prior choices, within each PS. Ways to give the player ‘agency’ over what is going on, even if the choices don’t matter to much for the story as a whole, or what is needed to complete content and don’t end up causing a lot of extra work now or down the road.

From my point of view it doesn’t seem like a lot of work to put the ‘make an appointment with the Pale Tree’ into the hands of the player. The story could have ended with a visit to one of the characters in the Pale Tree instance, explaining that the pale tree can’t see us right now, and that we will be notified when she can see us.

It might even have been a specific step, only put in for those players that have the Sylvari race, it makes a lot of sense that way. And more over, lets assume you played as a Norn first, and do a replay with a Sylvari, hey, the story changes. That’s nifty… While in all honesty nothing really changed, it just was made so that from a racial perspective it makes more sense…

These are the things we expect from a more PS oriented LS, even thought the LS is for every race, I think that if it’s not to much work and ultimately it doesn’t change much, but adds a lot to the agency in the players hands, or to ‘make sense’ for a race or an Order choice made earlier by the Player. The extra mile taken will pay off in appreciation for detail and diversity in regards to replay value… (obviously as long as these agency moments are divided up amongst races and orders in an equal fashion so that all can have a bit of cherry on top).

So yes, I agree entirely with your statement, yet, we ought to view this in a slightly different light, and hope that Anet will get comfortable enough with the choice for delivery and the method of implementation, that time is freed up to put these kinds of things in

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Yes there are one million pact leaders and all want to be treated like someone special.

Maybe the Pale Tree should give a very big audience like the pope does on Easter or Christmas. I hope the grove can harbor so many people.

Don’t worry. The extras will be sent to an overflow server.

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

This was answered by Caithe in the article describing how the Nightmare Court was born. The short answer? “You aren’t a special snowflake.”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nightmare_Court

It was Caithe’s own statement that the Pale Tree would not listen to Cadeyrn, saying “You are either firstborn…or you are simply sylvari” that led Cadeyrn to create the Nightmare Court and forcefully make the Pale Tree listen to his views – an act Caithe later regretted.

in Living World

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Or that the Pale Tree has been busy since Mordremoth started moving (As Mordremoth awakened early, but was too weak to move).

Or it began when she tried to warn Ceara of the dangers ahead.

Other being Nightmare Court, if they discover the existence of other trees, it’ll be full war between the Pale Tree and Nightmare Court, since the Court would gladly burn the Pale Tree down to ashes.

All just speculations, since alot has happened behind the scenes without direct information…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

in Living World

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If you were the Pale Tree would you let just any Silvari Trot up to your Chamber after hearing about Scarlet (and now Aren)? I think Security just might be a bit tighter since you visited her last…..

Granted, you are Trahern’s right hand, but the situation has certainly changed since you both went after Zhiatan.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Living World

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

This is just another example of ANet missing obvious opportunities in their writing.

Here’s what I would have done:
If you’re Sylvari, you can volunteer to be the one who sets up DE2.0’s meeting with the Pale Tree. Then when you go to her yourself any time before the next episode, you get a short exclusive dialogue path with her where you do just that. The wait for the next episode is then explained away by DE2.0 needing time to get themselves ready for the trip as well.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

in Living World

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

It was one of my pet peeves of the writting of this last LS release, which other than that I’ve really enjoyed so far… that, and the “your hair was standing” thing, I did it on two characters, one was a sylvari with solid branches instead of hair, the other a completely bald norn..

Even if they didn’t want to create a whole new isntance of your character seeking audience available only to sylvari, I’d have liked even if it was a short line asking your character whether he/she can get an audience if they’re sylvari (after all, they have done different lines already depending on race and profesion of your character), and your character answering something like that the pale tree has been more distant since the whole scarlet thing began and hasn’t been able to talk to her for a while now

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.