Take out overflow from events

in Living World

Posted by: Baronessvonbaugh.2165

Baronessvonbaugh.2165

Overflow doesn’t work for me. I was put there unintentionally but, none the less I keep getting put there. I can’t get events if I’m always put in overflow. So, I am asking for your designers to take it out so that all people can get it.

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

What would your suggestion be though? You hit overflow because the server is full. If it was suddenly removed, you would be queued up to enter and have no access to the event at all. They can’t increase the server population due to what happened with Lost Shores.

in Living World

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

What would your suggestion be though?

Instanced content instead of these open world raids where you end up NOT playing with your friends due to overflows…

in Living World

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

These big events are Anet fail. The idea is that you organize with your guild or friends to do these big events, you end up doing that and look what happens, a significant number of your group gets shunted to overflow. Until they work out instancing, or don’t design events that max out the maps they are going to be an unpleasant experience for a lot of the player base.

in Living World

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

The players are at least partially to blame though – for insisting on playing on the same 2-3 servers.

If overflows are a huge issue, you may want to consider a less populated server.

I know it isnt the perfect answer, but any changes to overflows need to come alongside fixes to server populations.

in Living World

Posted by: pyxell.4907

pyxell.4907

Not trying to be devil’s advocate, but how did GW manage these issues in the first game? We knew nothing of overflow!

Vile Nightshade 80 Necromancer
Scarlet Fairwood 80 Ranger
I intend to live forever! So far, so good!

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Not trying to be devil’s advocate, but how did GW manage these issues in the first game? We knew nothing of overflow!

Overflows were called districs on gw1 you just had an option to select them.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Living World

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Instanced content instead of these open world raids where you end up NOT playing with your friends due to overflows…

NO INSTANCES NO

in Living World

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

You do know instanced content would kill the whole Living World concept right? NO to this. I haven’t had many issues with overflows. If a friend is in an overflow different than mine, I’ll just right click on his character portrait and choose to join, or vice-versa. If it’s still full, then we wp to another map, and back to the original, and fixed. When an overflow is created there are constant overflows being created, you just need to get in the same one. And it is much better than not doing the event at all or instanced content, if you want instanced content play an SP RPG not an MMORPG.

in Living World

carabidus.6214

And it is much better than not doing the event at all or instanced content, if you want instanced content play an SP RPG not an MMORPG.

You are aware that the most successful MMORPG on the planet has instanced content?

in Living World

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

And it is much better than not doing the event at all or instanced content, if you want instanced content play an SP RPG not an MMORPG.

You are aware that the most successful MMORPG on the planet has instanced content?

And still you’ll have people complaining that the game has too much instances, it’s a vicious circle you won’t be able to satisfy everyone.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Living World

Posted by: Naetell.3815

Naetell.3815

You do know instanced content would kill the whole Living World concept right? NO to this. I haven’t had many issues with overflows. If a friend is in an overflow different than mine, I’ll just right click on his character portrait and choose to join, or vice-versa. If it’s still full, then we wp to another map, and back to the original, and fixed. When an overflow is created there are constant overflows being created, you just need to get in the same one. And it is much better than not doing the event at all or instanced content, if you want instanced content play an SP RPG not an MMORPG.

You guys do realise every map in this game is an instance, right?

in Living World

Posted by: Beorn Raukar.4328

Beorn Raukar.4328

False, if every map in the game would be an instance it would mean that every person that goes onto a map would get a separate distinct copy of the map. You would never find other people in the open world, outside your party. In GW2, maps are divided into smaller sections connected by portals. But the whole world is still open world and uninstanced.

in Living World

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

What is an overflow, in terms of tech what is your overflow may be my servers main map instance. In other words it is simply putting you into an instance that has space over actually having dedicated overflow maps as far as I can tell.

Now I agree 100% that there should be a better way to manage where you are playing on, ie. when it comes to larger than 5 man groups. One potential solution would be is to route squads together similar to what is usually done for regular parties. Yes, this involves having a commander, but that seems given for large scale events anyways.

What I don’t agree with is forgoing open world large scale content for instanced content to have both would be fine, but why exchange one for the other.

in Living World

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

False, if every map in the game would be an instance it would mean that every person that goes onto a map would get a separate distinct copy of the map. You would never find other people in the open world, outside your party. In GW2, maps are divided into smaller sections connected by portals. But the whole world is still open world and uninstanced.

Well…

Technically, players are, in fact, always on some instance of a map. Usually it’ll be the server’s home instance, occasionally it’ll be an overflow instance, or for some areas it’s a group / solo instance.

“Instance” has taken on a second definition in MMOs, though, which is more specifically a closed instance. And this is what people generally mean when they’re talking about MMO content… so…

…yes. And?

Back to the topic, (single-player) instanced content has actually been my favourite part of the LS stuff, mainly because it’s the only place where you see much story going on. I would actually like to see more of it, but the open-world stuff keeps people playing longer and doesn’t take as much time to create.

That said, with the number of staff they’ve got I don’t see why that’s a problem.

(edited by Ben K.6238)

in Living World

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

The players are at least partially to blame though – for insisting on playing on the same 2-3 servers.

If overflows are a huge issue, you may want to consider a less populated server.

I know it isnt the perfect answer, but any changes to overflows need to come alongside fixes to server populations.

I’m in Underworld, the server population has always been ‘very high’ but there is barely anyone at any given time to do world events with, it’s not the players fault how Anet chose to design this.

So far my comeback to gw2 has been extremely disillusioned, I would like to do events in my own server but even the ‘vogue’ event at the moment does not have enough people to have a decent shot at success in the main map.

I have tried other server’s maps such as Aurora, Seafarer etc and most either have that problem OR what Desolation faces, constant overflow with the option to ‘travel’ to a even worse overflow etc etc. All in all OoM was tainted with this problem to actually be able to enjoy the event.

in Living World

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Nothing wrong with overflows as long as the events in them are time synced.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

carabidus.6214

Nothing wrong with overflows as long as the events in them are time synced.

That’s fine if you are going solo, but what about getting a group of your friends together for the event? Isn’t that the point of playing an MMO? Having your group members separated into synced overflows that are often maxed out defeats the purpose entirely…

in Living World

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Well, the best option would be to:
1. Create underflows for less-populated servers. Game should ask if you want to.
2. Separate “Overflows” and “Underflows” into district system from GW1. You open a full list of both and can choose which one you want to join.
3. Specific Underflows and Overflows for Native servers like German or French ones. They can still join other English servers via list, but they’re put in native overflows by default. It helps both us and them.

3 steps, win/win/win

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Living World

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

And so, no event was ever completed again because putting too many people on one map causes horrible lag and breaks the game.

If youre in a party you can join your friend by rightclicking their portrait.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /