Tequatl the Funless

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: EvantehMasta.5267

EvantehMasta.5267

Alright, I am pretty new to this game, but I’ve been working hard to get to a high level and just recently I did. When I looked at the boss fights for Guild Wars 2 I was stunned; the enormous enemies, the teamwork, etc. Although the one boss that stuck out for me was Tequatl. The cinematic of him jumping out of the water onto that hill was breathtaking for me and the fight itself just pumped me up even more. All the time while I was leveling up I thought in the back of my mind “x more levels until Tequatl”. Then ANet released the Tequatl Rising update. I didn’t think much of it because I was only level 30 at the time, but I recently reached level 65 and holy crap was I excited. I went to Sparkfly Fen, fought through the hordes of risen and sat at the waypoint right next to the battlefield I recognized instantly. I waited for a while until the event popped up and with wide eyes I watched the beast rise out of the water just like in the videos and what do you know?… No one… was there…. I quickly searched forums, Youtube, etc. and everyone said the same thing. “Tequatl isn’t worth it anymore and his popularity is quickly declining.”

Ya know ArenaNet, I applaud you for making such an incredible MMO. The gameplay is exquisite, the stories are compelling, the graphics are stupendous, and it’s just a great new way to play a game. But I think you went the wrong direction with Tequatl. Now before anyone says “I like Tequatl on hard mode”, “TTS is a guild that’s just for fighting him, join that”, just look at the boss’ popularity. IT HAS PLUMMETED. Absolutely no one fights him anymore, and yes, I know, I’ve gone through all the servers and Tequatl will just stand there in the distance behind his huge wall while nobody even dares to go near him. This. Is. A. Problem.

Difficulty in games is just fine, when it’s fair and people enjoy it. The problem is the difficulty came without either of those two things. ArenaNet, you’ve done great up to here, but I think you went a little bit overboard with this. When you bump up the difficulty like that you outsource nearly all casual gamers, the only ones that are left are the hardcore and the noobs. Nobody likes to go into a fight when they know they have no chance, people can barely knock down Tequatl’s health to 75%! Look, all I’m trying to say is that you’ve done great so far ArenaNet, and this was a step in the right direction, but maybe a bit too big of a step. Please, lower the difficulty some, for all of us casuals, for all of us low populated servers, for everyone who just wants to have a little bit of fun.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Before all you had to do was run up to his foot and afk auto attack. No mechanics, no threat of death, nothing. He’s a giant dragon, he shouldn’t be less threatening than a champion bandit. Sounds like the only reason you thought he was interesting before was because he visually looked cool (something that stayed the same).

As you have already said you can join a guild dedicated to killing Tequatl or just guest on to a server that has him on farm during the daily reset (I know TC kills him/has a good attempt at killing him during the daily reset encounter).

Just because less people fight him does not indicate that he is in a worse state. He is currently designed to be a boss fight that requires more coordination than the other meta-bosses. If people don’t want to deal with him they have plenty of alternative bosses they can fight. If people do want to fight him they can easily do so with a little effort (join a Teq slaying guild). The only major problems with the encounter imo are over-reliance on turret controllers, how the first 25% is the hardest push, and most importantly, the lack of in-game tools used to form large parties.

Regardless, the difficulty of the encounter itself isn’t a problem and I can’t wait until more of these meta-bosses actually become some-what challenging (not saying all meta-bosses should be as hard as Teq, but all the dragons should be at least).

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

(edited by GoldenTruth.2853)

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

Before all you had to do was run up to his foot and afk auto attack. No mechanics, no threat of death, nothing. He’s a giant dragon, he shouldn’t be less threatening than a champion bandit. Sounds like the only reason you thought he was interesting before was because he visually looked cool (something that stayed the same).

As you have already said you can join a guild dedicated to killing Tequatl or just guest on to a server that has him on farm during the daily reset (I know TC kills him/has a good attempt at killing him during the daily reset encounter).

Just because less people fight him does not indicate that he is in a worse state. He is currently designed to be a boss fight that requires more coordination than the other meta-bosses. If people don’t want to deal with him they have plenty of alternative bosses they can fight. If people do want to fight him they can easily do so with a little effort (join a Teq slaying guild). The only major problems with the encounter imo are over-reliance on turret controllers, how the first 25% is the hardest push, and most importantly, the lack of in-game tools used to form large parties.

Regardless, the difficulty of the encounter itself isn’t a problem and I can’t wait until more of these meta-bosses actually become some-what challenging (not saying all meta-bosses should be as hard as Teq, but all the dragons should be at least).

The things that make Tequatl difficult aren’t actually fun to overcome. (The mechanics of the fight are fun. I like the jump pads, and the events in the middle to protect the asuran tech. I found his wave-of-death when we failed the defense event appropriate and amusing. But these aren’t the things that make it difficult.)

The things that make Tequatl difficult are:
(1) gear check: the timer means this is a gear/build check; someone freshly to 65 is not going to contribute the same as an 80 with ascended gear, and this will show; this is why you have to camp in a map with a group which is ready, geared, and spec’ed appropriately.
(2) spawn window: sitting in sparkfly fen waiting for Tequatl to spawn for 1h is not my idea of fun.

I’ve done Tequatl a few times now with TTS — twice successfully (one one other time when they hadn’t finished organization the overflow before it spawned). I’d find it fun for a while — even with failures — if it didn’t involve camping out in the map to have a decent chance of success.

You can make up for non-BiS gear somewhat with fire ele powder … but that only helps if you get him into the burn phase soon enough, and if everyone (or almost everyone uses it). And this is still in line with it being a gear check.

GW1/GW2 are the only MMOs I’ve played (well, since the days of MUDs). I hadn’t understood why people dislike the gear-check aspect of WoW, since I’ve never played WoW. Tequatl taught me.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Nice title. I’ll refer to Tequatl like that from now on. And yes, the difficulty is a problem when much of the population has pretty much abandoned the boss and even the zone itself due to how it’s designed now.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: NGraveD.9418

NGraveD.9418

To be honest, it really depends on how you look at things. Having Tequatl as a really challenging fight sounds all right to me and it hit the right spot. The problem with the coordination is that it wasn’t introduced gradually (from Maw onwards for example) and it was a kittenallenging at first, to get everyone on TS and whatnot. But still, we are talking about an open world boss here, not your usual champ. This is Zhaitan’s lieutenant and one of his champions, so I find it fair that the fight is hard.

In all fairness, our server has one weekly coordinated event, where most of the guilds show up and take him down. If you overdo it, it’ll become boring. But if you run it once a week, or twice a week even, you’ll get new players in as well and it still retains quite some fun (as most guilds have selected this as a guild event).

I wish you good luck in doing Tequatl and if you want to join us for our next run, feel free to whisper me ingame and guest with us.

| Ring of Fire | Haiducul Batran |

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Before all you had to do was run up to his foot and afk auto attack. No mechanics, no threat of death, nothing.

Again I say it: If you were doing that, you were one of the people I was rezzing after the fight and were just riding on the work of people who were paying attention, good job. The poison pools and adds easily wiped out large swaths of players before. What you’ve said here is the exact opposite of the way it was.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

GoldenTruth.2853

Before all you had to do was run up to his foot and afk auto attack. No mechanics, no threat of death, nothing.

Again I say it: If you were doing that, you were one of the people I was rezzing after the fight and were just riding on the work of people who were paying attention, good job. The poison pools and adds easily wiped out large swaths of players before. What you’ve said here is the exact opposite of the way it was.

Before = Before the Tequatl Rising update?

or do you mean those AoEs that really didn’t do anything? To which I would then question whether large swaths really means 0-3 players.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

(edited by GoldenTruth.2853)

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

The problem with Tequatl is that the entire difficulty of the fight comes from organizing your raid and not from the fight mechanics.

Compare what it takes to prepare for Tequatl to a boss from other games. Other games you can grab your raid(25-40 people), ride/port over to the zone and take him down. In GW2 in order to beat Teq you have to find a server(sometimes hijacking an overflow), get all your players into parties to invite people over, and then sit and wait for an hour to an hour and a half, because if you try to just go kill him when he spawns you wont get into the server.

Teq should have been a raid, it would have made everything so much easier and more enjoyable. None of this overflow crap, no hour long waits doing nothing, no guesting fiasco, no turret afkers/trolls.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

What Stx said.

Tequatl revamp is a good attempt at a raid-size encounter and I’d love to face him with an organised group, but not in the open world.

Level of organization required puts him far beyond what normal visitors to this area can randomly achieve.
You can’t assemble to defeat him when he appears, you need to camp him and you need to use overflow overtake to achieve that.
He is prone to griefing or just simple lack of knowledge by random players that happen to be around there, in a place they are kinda.. supposed to be (turrets).

Again: keep him, but in an instance, where he belongs.
Open world version should be on par with what random players can achieve or should not exist, because encounter success requirement should never be placed outside of player’s control.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

(edited by cherrie.8907)

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

rizzo.1079

or do you mean those AoEs that really didn’t do anything? To which I would then question whether large swaths really means 0-3 players.

Huh that’s weird, because I saw tens of people downed at a time by those poison clouds. Perhaps because you were afk and down you didn’t see them?

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

GoldenTruth.2853

Huh that’s weird, because I saw tens of people downed at a time by those poison clouds. Perhaps because you were afk and down you didn’t see them?

You have to be trolling me -_-

If you think that basic AoE is threatening in any form well then I have bridge to sell you.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I’ve seen it too. Tequatl had at least 2 different AoEs before his revamp. One of them being the poison one that hurt quite a bit. The other inflicted a long lasting weakness but otherwise did little damage. The poison one just didn’t get used as often as the weakness one.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

This fight was just bad designed!
And because of that now it is Tequatl, the Lonely one!

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

The problem with Tequatl is that the entire difficulty of the fight comes from organizing your raid and not from the fight mechanics.

This is exactly why I just cannot be bothered to try this fight again, despite having been so pumped about it before it was released — and one further reason to shake my head in disbelief at the developers, who sometimes seem to display a complete and utter lack of a clue about how to make an MMO “work”. When I play a game, I want to actually play it, not stupidly sit on my butt for over an hour in hopes of “reservering” a spot in the “right” server/overflow.

Tequatl as it is now really should be instanced. It was stupidly easy before, but at least it was not a logistical nightmare.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Caspian.2814

Caspian.2814

We actually (in Far Shiverpeaks [EU]) regularly still kill taco and we even end up doing it several times in an overflow. I actually enjoyed the content, because you had to be organized as kitten.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: ibrennanhuff.3597

ibrennanhuff.3597

Right now I’d have to agree. Tequatl is now an event that spawns, sits idle, despawns and repeats. Now I personally haven’t had the chance to have a significant go at Teq and that is at the core of the problem in my opinion.

There isn’t the drive, abilities, or man power to form these large parties needed to coordinate an attack to bring him down. Personally, I’m glad they raised the difficulty on a world boss because they do lack mechanics. The majority of them are just avoid certain abilities and hack away until it dies. Tequatl actually brings some new mechanics to the table, but it requires almost too much needed to bring him down in the time frame.

In closing, it’s certainly not entirely the difficulty that causes Sparkfly to see almost no people. It’s the large amounts of coordination, man power, and high leveled, well speced players needed to take him on. It’s simply a lot to ask for.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The problem is, you can’t out difficult bosses that requires co-ordination in the open. 80-man PUGs can’t co-ordinate themselves in 15 mins AND down the dragon.

Teq needs to be an instanced guild mission.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

As it stands, it’s pretty much a waste of space in the vast majority of servers.

That’s bad game design.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

Lol I love you guys.

Tequatl the Funless, Loneliest of the Dragon Kings.

Clearly Tequatl is the real victim, here. He even started bringing extra presents to the event for all his little friends to enjoy. But to no avail. His strength is too strong, his strategies to opaque, and his groupies too numerous. Even with the increase in Event Rewards, most players won’t go near him.

One thing the update did accomplish, though. I no longer want to boycott Jormag for being too unrewarding and time consuming. Tequatl wears that crown, now.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Baronessvonbaugh.2165

Baronessvonbaugh.2165

I played several times and found he was unwinnable with the large group. Even there was an overflow but, he still was unwinnable. I tried to just to get the boss achievement but it only counted for burning light not that had to burn. I want to know why it didn’t count and how to get it to count. I’m Baronessvonbaugh.2165. Thanks.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

rizzo.1079

You have to be trolling me -_-

If you think that basic AoE is threatening in any form well then I have bridge to sell you.

No not a troll, that’s what was actually happening while you were afk. That’s why you were dead when you Alt+Tabbed back, you were standing in a poison pool or got killed by an add.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Forkada.8376

Forkada.8376

Best pathc for all time!

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Stormbluff Isle does Teq for kills every reset. Other decently populated coordinated servers do the same thing. I say it’s been pretty successful and fun for those involved.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Stormbluff Isle does Teq for kills every reset. Other decently populated coordinated servers do the same thing. I say it’s been pretty successful and fun for those involved.

So ~0.1% (maybe 1%? but that seems way too high, ~150 people per server, maybe 3-5 servers kill him daily, compared to the millions of players who own gw2) of the player base who want/can arrange via teamspeak at a set time can kill Teq. Does that seem fair/fun for the rest of the player base?

I know we will never see the numbers, but I would love to see the number of times Teq was killed vs. not over all servers since he came out. That ratio is only getting to get smaller as time goes on.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Agree with OP on everything except the solution—Teq should not be nerfed, ever, in any way. Anyone who could not predict the effects of Teq upon open world PvE, and this includes the whole of the development staff, does not have basic “gaming” reality testing skills. Teq should remain as an object lesson in what not to do in open world PvE. It should be studied, in all its details, to understand why it has failed. Then, ideally, it should never be repeated.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: sigmataun.4103

sigmataun.4103

I’m not trying to instigate anything, just offer a friendly suggestion. Why not join [TTS]? I had 5 Teq kills my first day with the guild and also got the Sunbringer title.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

rizzo.1079

I’m not trying to instigate anything, just offer a friendly suggestion. Why not join [TTS]? I had 5 Teq kills my first day with the guild and also got the Sunbringer title.

Because I have no desire to join another guild and try to get into an overflow to do an open world event that was previously doable by just walking up and doing it. Content like this should be both new and instanced.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: sigmataun.4103

sigmataun.4103

oh. well, as I said- just trying to be helpful.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Really there is no middle ground here, either it is (on your server):

Tequatl the Funless, Loneliest of the Dragon Kings.

or it is great fun and often successful.

My server does the event once a week on Saturday early evening. Sometimes I go. I’ve never seen it succeed but it has come fairly close. The rest of the time there is at most a half dozen people around.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I think most people’s complaints aren’t that it’s unbeatable (it clearly can be killed). Most people dislike the following:

1) long spawn time/having to wait in map for 30min-1h (or more) to make sure you have a spot and to prep for the fight.

2) The event is dead now because of the high scaling of the event. (If the event was possible with 20-30 or so people and just was able to scale up, I think there would be less gripe)

3) Why should we (meaning an average player) have to join a specific guild just to have a reasonable shot at victory.

4) The timer/dps check, again this really limits the useful builds/skills (other world bosses are now like this too, but Teq takes it to an extreme), the “play how you want to” isn’t that fun when it can make you useless.

There’s some others, but it’s a general list. It just makes me sad that they removed a world boss that was already in the game and replaced it with something that unbeatable without extreme coordination/prep. I’m also not trying to instigate, but can you tell me what’s fun about having to join a specific guild (who’s main purpose is to kill Teq) just to have a shot at getting the Sunbringer title?

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

I’m inclined to agree that Tequatl participation has dropped dramatically.

Maybe the world(s) would be better off with the older-style Tequatl fight to come back, spawning on the regular timer as usual, but make it some lesser dragon champion.

Then if it’s been killed/the fight is not currently active, an organized group can come down to the area and trigger Tequatl. Maybe they do something that gets his attention, and he comes in kind of like, "Hey, what happened to what’s-his-face that I sent here? I guess I will have to show you the power of Zhaitain" (only what we hear is just a loud roar before he punches everyone in the face and/or sends waves all over the place, since he doesn’t talk).

The fight is pretty rad. The scheduling issues are not -- both the lack of people being there when he arrives and the inability of prepared groups to enter the encounter when they can/are organized and online are problematic, imo.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: EvantehMasta.5267

EvantehMasta.5267

I’ve thought about it for a while and I think all they should really do to make it fair is have the old Tequatl as a world boss (maybe a little bit harder). Then have the PITA Tequatl be a mass dungeon that needs multiple parties of high level characters; something like that I think would really help. The main problem, like many of you have said is that it’s kitten near impossible to get a large enough party there to beat him, so I think ArenaNet should make a Tequatl fight organizer. Almost like the dungeon finder in WoW.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Jeromai.8203

Jeromai.8203

I think the tragic consequence of having Teq strive towards “raid-like” difficulty is how it’s pulled players away from their home servers, leaving those open world instances of Tequatl barren.

Apparently, there just aren’t enough players interested and with sufficient dedicated time per server to form server-based Teq communities, except for the most populated ones.

For more populated servers, they probably still can manage an unscheduled kill or two at daily reset, or a more scheduled/organized kill at a certain time or day if guilds coordinate, but between the difficulty and ridiculously long and unpredictable wait time for him to spawn, impromptu kills are no longer possible, especially at less populous timezones.

Conversely though, a few cross-server communities have sprung up around killing the new Tequatl, which would not have been created or organized without the revamp. The experience of killing Teq with TTS in an overflow is something that did not exist in GW2 before and quite exhilarating. If you haven’t tried it, you should.

A cross-server guild is also more inclusive than an instanced guild raid would be, which makes it more uniquely GW2 in style.

Is it worth the trade-off of losing a world boss that previously more people on each home server could gather at, socialize and have easy fun on a punching bag?

That I don’t know. It goes both ways.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

Problems with Tequatl or open world bosses in general:

1. Overflow servers – we cannot just decide to go to the location when the event is up for a server. We have to wait long hours in advance.

2. Timer – this equates to a gear check. If you don’t have high enough DPS, you will fail. This form of difficulty is NOT fun. Take Lupicus for example. He is fun without having a timer.

everything else stems from these 2 main problems.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

No overflow, prime time tonight on gandara, 3 people there killing a few adds to get the daily ‘attended it’.

It’s a dead zone on most servers- now hopefully Anet will swallow a big pill of ‘we told you so’ and do something about it- for a start fixed spawn times once per hour would be helpful so everyone doesn’t have to hang around for hours on end to do it…

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

They should have just placed the new Tequatl in a separate instance that large organised groups can select to do, keeping the old Tequatl in the rotation of world bosses for new players to enjoy casually.

Actually Anet, you can still do this. It would certainly make it easier to organise the large raid groups necessary to take on Tequatl. Basically use the same system you use for dungeons, only allow 100+ people to participate.

Gandara

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

This is exactly why I just cannot be bothered to try this fight again, despite having been so pumped about it before it was released — and one further reason to shake my head in disbelief at the developers, who sometimes seem to display a complete and utter lack of a clue about how to make an MMO “work”. When I play a game, I want to actually play it, not stupidly sit on my butt for over an hour in hopes of “reservering” a spot in the “right” server/overflow.

Tequatl as it is now really should be instanced. It was stupidly easy before, but at least it was not a logistical nightmare.

Pretty much. Have killed him, multi times. Can’t be assed to guest to a server doing a take down to sit in a map with my thumb up my rectum for an hour waiting for spawn. Or worse, hitting their overflow and trying to zone in for an hour.

If they wan’t to make it like this, they can A: ad 5 or 10 mins to the timer. 5 is really all it needs. Make it more friendly for those who aren’t wasting all their game time farming him.
B: Take him off the brain damaged window and make it regularly scheduled, so people can actually play the dam game till his timer is up and then go there 10 mins ahead and get organized. Rather then grow a beard waiting for the friggin random window to spawn.

I login to play the game. Not stand around in a mob of semi afks waiting for a chest of loot I coulda got multiple times over in the time I was standing there with my thumb up.

Hence. I rarely do teq anymore. Standing around for an hour with my thumb up hardly qualifies as fun. Since as others have said, the only way you are getting on the map when he spawns, is if you are on a server that doesn’t bother doing him anymore.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: pugster.9378

pugster.9378

Unfortunately, there is simply not enough people to play this event every hour. Either this event has to be scaled down for the number people in the area or bring back the old Teq.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

I’m going to just echo what everyone has said:

We LOVED the idea of ‘ole Taco John being a hard boss. I personally loved his mechanics, even if they were fairly simple, and the fight it’s self was enjoyable. What we DIDN’T like is the fact that he was an OPEN WORLD BOSS.

People have been saying this since the game launched: Overflow causes only tears and sorrow when it comes to organizing group events on any server, simply because Zone Limits are just to kitten ed small. Look at the issue we’re having in WvW right now, to the point where Anet has to now develop a border map for it’s border maps just so people can actually PvP in WvW without sitting in a queue for hours on end.

Take Taco John, put him in a 10-man Raid Instance, and watch as people not only do him more often, but have a much more enjoyable time doing it. He’d still be puggable, it wouldn’t require a large raid guild to complete, and he wouldn’t have become content that no one does anymore.

This is why I’m worried about the next Living Story update. If it’s another “Here’s a uber hard world boss that you have a high chance of failing at!”, it’s going to be another kitten ed fiasco, and we’ll be right back where we are now in a month.

Simply put: if Anet is going to make more Raid Content in the future, it needs to be done like a traditional MMO. None of this “We’re trying to be different” nonsense. Instance it, make it either a 10 or 20-man raid dungeon, don’t gate it to guild missions or some other artificial barrier of entry, and let people just go at it whenever they want.

This is the epitome of the old saying of “If it aint broke, don’t fix it”. Which is ironic, considering GW1 also had traditional raid content, and people loved the hell out of it too.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Talissa Chan.7208

Talissa Chan.7208

Also – as the other dragons get revamped, what are the options? join the teq killing guild! oh, you’ll need to be in the jormag guild too, and the shatterer guild btw, oh and your main guild. Then just sort the timing so they never coincide.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Maderas.9741

Maderas.9741

Out of curiosity, are there any servers that have downed him since the WvW season started? TC has killed him after every reset for weeks now, but failed the last two days due to a lack of participation.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Now you jump over a tramploline to kill the dargon.gif with a larger health pool.

I believe they still dont understand the problem is lack mechanics to most of dragons bosses.

Let me show how dragons should be reworked!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3J62WVa2r0

Any one remmember this???? this was Guild Wars!

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I am completely fine with his high damaging attacks. They aren’t that hard to get out of the way from.

I am not fine with the insane high hp pool that requires gear check.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Gods Knight.4936

Gods Knight.4936

Alright, I am pretty new to this game, but I’ve been working hard to get to a high level and just recently I did. When I looked at the boss fights for Guild Wars 2 I was stunned; the enormous enemies, the teamwork, etc. Although the one boss that stuck out for me was Tequatl. The cinematic of him jumping out of the water onto that hill was breathtaking for me and the fight itself just pumped me up even more. All the time while I was leveling up I thought in the back of my mind “x more levels until Tequatl”. Then ANet released the Tequatl Rising update. I didn’t think much of it because I was only level 30 at the time, but I recently reached level 65 and holy crap was I excited. I went to Sparkfly Fen, fought through the hordes of risen and sat at the waypoint right next to the battlefield I recognized instantly. I waited for a while until the event popped up and with wide eyes I watched the beast rise out of the water just like in the videos and what do you know?… No one… was there…. I quickly searched forums, Youtube, etc. and everyone said the same thing. “Tequatl isn’t worth it anymore and his popularity is quickly declining.”

Ya know ArenaNet, I applaud you for making such an incredible MMO. The gameplay is exquisite, the stories are compelling, the graphics are stupendous, and it’s just a great new way to play a game. But I think you went the wrong direction with Tequatl. Now before anyone says “I like Tequatl on hard mode”, “TTS is a guild that’s just for fighting him, join that”, just look at the boss’ popularity. IT HAS PLUMMETED. Absolutely no one fights him anymore, and yes, I know, I’ve gone through all the servers and Tequatl will just stand there in the distance behind his huge wall while nobody even dares to go near him. This. Is. A. Problem.

Difficulty in games is just fine, when it’s fair and people enjoy it. The problem is the difficulty came without either of those two things. ArenaNet, you’ve done great up to here, but I think you went a little bit overboard with this. When you bump up the difficulty like that you outsource nearly all casual gamers, the only ones that are left are the hardcore and the noobs. Nobody likes to go into a fight when they know they have no chance, people can barely knock down Tequatl’s health to 75%! Look, all I’m trying to say is that you’ve done great so far ArenaNet, and this was a step in the right direction, but maybe a bit too big of a step. Please, lower the difficulty some, for all of us casuals, for all of us low populated servers, for everyone who just wants to have a little bit of fun.

I typed “Teq not worth doing anymore” in google and got this post at the top, very well said! Anet has difficulty grasping reward vs difficulty/time paradigm it shows in OP classes like mesmer/necro and in their events/dungeons.

They have many things that are either mind numbingly trivial or just ridiculously hard. I hope it evens out soon, they seem to be really slow in fixing things that are really important.

(edited by Gods Knight.4936)

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: roperratt.6917

roperratt.6917

Teq is one of the few events that requires fairly precise teamwork and coordination. The fight is very doable on most servers if someone is willing to take charge. The spawn times are set, 2 minutes after every odd hour server-time. A winning fight can be organised within a half hour of spawn time. A successful run will fill your bags with loot, including at least 3 rares. There are a lot of good guides on how to fight him.

I have lost count of how many successful Teq fights I have been on. It’s not super hard, but it is also not a “run to his foot, mash #1” fight either. I like the fact that there is at least one boss in the game that requires careful work and coordination to defeat.

I have an idea, tonight, around 6 pm server time, go to LA and map announce “Teq fight, meet at sparkfly by 6:30,” when people show up put them into position. He spawns at 7:02 pm. If you positioned people well, the fight will be over by 7:25 pm.

I have been in on 20 Karka queen runs in the past 3 weeks, she’s tough and does a lot of damage, but there is no skill or coordination. There are many other bosses that give decent drops with out a player having to work for it, let us Teq fighters keep our one fun boss.

IGN: Roper the Ratt, Mithril Knight, Sophie the Golden, (TTS), (DTtD), (KCCO), (BANA)
Fort Aspenwood

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

My issue with the new additions to the Teq fight is that I can’t ever get to it without queing up for two hours prior. The fact that you get bumped to overflow by guests on your own server is insane. I love the changes…great job…just the accessibility of the content is the issue for me.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

I would not say Tequatl is impossible. server I’m on bands together on voice chat once a week and does it. The problem is for the most part the drops simply do not justify the fact it takes over an hour to organise 70+ players to actually have a decent chance of success. And one mob glitching and getting stuck on the mega laser or a noob camping on the turrets so they get destroyed by AOE attacks and ignoring the commanders can ruin it. Not a bad fight, just the old Arenanet problem of not scaling the rewards up enough for the more difficult content, so people just get lazy and only do the easy stuff.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: ordeal.9145

ordeal.9145

Taco the sauceless is a miss in the living story , getting it done is hard beucse of of queue time for the battle, the amount of players you need and the time between each fight.
Withe that the reward for your time is just rng which make go “why am i even doing this?” this fight seem to be doomed from the start this type of “raid” is bad for gw2 and another approch is needed

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

The Tequatl fight is badly implemented, because it only takes a relatively small amount of players being counterproductive to make the fight unwinnable.

And it is very easy to be counterproductive. All you have to do is be afk in the general vicinity of the event (especially near the turrets) by the time it starts.

Tequatl the Funless

in Living World

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Honestly, now that I have the achievements, there’s no way I’m going to spend an hour or more of my time sitting in Sparkfly to organize with a cross-server guild just to kill one world boss.

That is a huge waste of my time, no matter what might drop out of his loot chest.

Tequatl’s mechanics are fun, IMO, but the level of coordination required to actually kill him is too high.