Terrible Trailers

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Merus.9475

Merus.9475

At this point, it’s pretty clear: the Living World trailers are not very good. They’re not exciting for existing players, and they’re not intriguing for new players. I don’t know what ArenaNet are trying to achieve with these trailers, but it’s just not working. They need to either drastically improve their approach, or change their approach to one they can execute on.

The chief problem with all the trailers, but especially with the recap trailers, is that they don’t mean anything to an audience who isn’t familiar with the game. The recap trailers are very exposition-heavy, in the way that bad fantasy is, where the author explains who begat whom and the houses and the various kingdoms and you have no context for any of it and no reason to care about any of these relationships. The choice to use a disconnected narrator who breathlessly intones lore emphasises the effect. It does not help that the narrator’s scripts use bizarre word choices, like describing Scarlet’s campaign as a ‘journey’, and is packed with cliches. Focusing on the story in trailers to such an extent suggests that a) the story is the focus, over gameplay, and b) it’s not very good.

If you’re advertising a story, you need to show the basic elements of a story: character, and conflict. Compare either of these two trailers to sister studio Carbine’s open beta trailer for WildStar. It’s the closest in tone of all their trailers, so it’s a good base for comparison. Notice how quickly character and conflict come into play: character from the guy in his spaceship going ‘wow’ at a planet, who is having a human emotion we can empathise with, we get motivation for about twenty seconds as the tension builds, and then we see conflict nearly half-way through, leaving a full minute to show all the various ways exciting problems will happen. We could just as easily compare ArenaNet’s trailers to Hollywood’s output; the same problems apply, although Hollywood is generally better at obscuring structure, which makes it less useful as a case study.

For instance, the Alien trailer appears not to start off with characters at all, but even then the trailer makes clear why we should care: the tension of the opening titles slowly fading in keeps us invested until we realise we’re looking at an alien egg, which starts to dramatically hatch – and then there’s Sigourney Weaver running down a corridor, and very bad things will happen. Once we see the character, we get the motivation and conflict in one hit. Anyway, you have to crawl before you walk; no-one’s cutting a trailer like the Alien trailer if they can’t get the basics right.

For existing players, though, the Living World trailers don’t really work either. I’m thinking specifically about the four update preview trailers that were used instead of update pages. These trailers are focused on existing players, and it’s assumed that third-party sites will fill in the context for new players. You don’t need to explain to existing players where the story is up to; the purpose of these trailers is to tease and excite. Usually, in film, this means quick cuts, fast action, high-tempo music. What we see instead is very slow music, sweeping shots, and a lack of action. It’s very hard, from these trailers, to understand what players will actually be doing, and so it doesn’t work to build anticipation.

What’s particularly disappointing is that we’ve seen much, much better from ArenaNet. The Wintersday trailer sells the mood of the holiday wonderfully, in part because it avoids character in favour of a mood-appropriate bit of poetry, and it’s clear to existing players how things have changed. The Super Adventure Box trailer is a pitch-perfect parody that apes a real 80s ad, so character and context are clear to non-players, and it shows gameplay so existing players can understand what it is they’ll actually do.

Who is putting together these new trailers? Is it the marketing department? (Can you borrow Carbine’s marketing department?) Whoever it is, they’re not helping.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Completely agree, particularly with your second paragraph. Just read the new trailer:

“Lion’s Arch burned. Scarlet’s journey was nearly complete. She planted the seeds long ago. And as her evil took root, it grew into something horrifying. The heroes of Tyria fought back. But our darkest hour was yet to come. Scarlet’s armies attacked Lion’s Arch without warning or mercy. Her victory seemed assured. As Tyria’s last hope, we rallied, and put an end to Scarlet’s onslaught of terror. But even in death, she remained a threat. And deep beneath Tyria, something sinister awoke.”

First of all, pretend I’m a new player. My immediate questions are: “What is Lion’s Arch? Who is Scarlet, and what was her journey? What seeds? Wait, it was an evil journey? I see a plant tower and a plant monster and…a giant robot? Being defeated in the mountains somewhere?”

There’s no context for any of that. We have no indication of what Lion’s Arch is or what it represents for Tyria. We have no understanding of who Scarlet is or the arc of her rise to power. We don’t know what anything presented means to anyone.

Second of all, look at the ordering of events. We start with Lion’s Arch burning. Then we go backwards to the Tower of Nightmares, next to Marionette, and then to the darkest hour (LA attack) yet to come. But you started with LA attack! It’s jarring even for me; I can only imagine how confusing it must be to a new player.

The LA escape preview is another one that did it better. Bit of nostalgic music, quick summary of what LA has been through and what it represents for Tyria, follow by teaser of impending doom. Fills you in, sets the mood. New trailer feels very amateur in comparison.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

It’s hard to say, really, what the content should be since this doesn’t actually qualify as a teaser, just a summary of what came before. That said, there’s really not much reason for this to exist at this point. Release teasers for Season 2 now and release the ones telling people what happened before shortly before release. You want to attract and/or maintain interest, and telling people what happened in content they either have played or don’t have the ability to play or interact with isn’t going to accomplish that goal.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

A better way to structure the recap trailer would be as follows:

- Start with something like “Peace had finally come to Tyria. The Elder Dragon Zhaitan had fallen, and his undead armies were driven back. We knew that the other dragons were out there, but for the moment we had victory and calm.” This covers the events of the Personal Story and establishes the future threat of other dragons.

- Continue with “But it would not last. When the first signs of trouble arose, we did not take them seriously. We did not know what they foretold.” Couple this with shots of Flame and Frost.

- Next “But soon enough our festival of victory over Zhaitan was attacked by a new enemy. Months later, another celebration befell the same fate. Guardians made in our defense were stolen and turned against us, and our enemy made herself known to us.” Show Dragon Bash, Sky Pirates, Queen’s Jubilee, and Clockwork Chaos.

- “We knew her name – Scarlet Briar – but not her goal. A tower of deadly toxins was discovered hidden in the heart of Tyria, and only the efforts of strongest heroes stopped it from spreading poison across the land.” Show Tower of Nightmares and Nightmares Within.

Do I need to continue? I think you get the idea.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I’m just confused about who this is for.

Is it for new people? It’s pretty vague about what actually happens.
Is it for people who did the content? We’ve already had half a dozen recaps, in videos, in game cinematics, ingame NPCs…

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Yeah the trailer was a bit pointless. I mean its cool for the fanboys of S1, if they exist.. but I feel like in general I’d rather learn more about S2. All we can really assume is that it will deal with the jungle dragon and that we may get new zones in magumma.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Hobbs.9260

Hobbs.9260

With all honesty, what we got today wasnt a trailer, it was just a recap

80 ele Deaths Misstress [DEAD] – Blackgate NA East Coast

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I thought it was akin to the short recaps you come across at the beginning of many episodes in serial-type tv programs.

’Here’s what happened last episode…’ /shrug

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Merus.9475

Merus.9475

I appreciate that it’s a recap, but that doesn’t materially change the problems. Think about long-form shows that regularly use recaps: they show characters, motivations, and conflict. Who is this character? Why should we care about them? What do they want? What’s stopping them? As soon as those four questions are established, we go immediately into the show itself.

A good recap of Season One might look something like this: a little from Marjory’s intro trailer, and Logan hiring her to investigate the councillor’s death. (All of this from existing voice.) A little voicework of either Rox, or Rytlock, saying that Rox wants to join (the Stone warband; what’s important is to get across that she’s looking for inclusion, but the warband itself is detail). Braham saying that he wants to prove himself/protect his family. Maybe Ellen Kiel as well. Scarlet turning up in Divinity’s Reach, as well as V/O and footage from her cutscene in the Tower of Nightmares (particularly good because it shows the characters we’ve just seen fighting seemingly separate threats). V/O from the Edge of the Mists release where they put the pieces together, and footage of Scarlet’s hideout and (with simulated player zergs) Lion’s Arch as a player hub, and the Battle of Lion’s Arch, including footage of boss fights and players using abilities and defending objectives. Then our season two plot hooks from the Aftermath and the Festival.

Characters, motivations, and conflict. It also makes the next conflict clear.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think it was meant mainly for players who stopped playing and are now just coming back. As said above, it’s a recap, similar to what a tabletop D&D DM says to his players to refresh their memories about where they’re at and why they’re doing what they’re currently doing.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

I thought it was akin to the short recaps you come across at the beginning of many episodes in serial-type tv programs.

’Here’s what happened last episode…’ /shrug

But in those they show dialogue and action, not a long narration. Show, don’t tell, narrative cardinal rule.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not debating what other ‘trailers’ or recaps should or should not do. I am merely expressing what the video meant to me. A refresher of sorts. It served its purpose…for me.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Well i am not a big fan of recaps and it was a bit of a let down for someone who was eagerly awaiting a trailer for S2 rather then a recap (then again my fingers are crossed that we got recap yesterday and proper trailer the tuesday after )

Anyhow I understand what you’re saying about lacking context for someone who was there but thats not something that can be addressed and is an issue with any recap trailer. Its kinda hard to summerize any story into 2 minutes. In 2 minutes you cannot even descibe who scarlet was….. I mean you need to describe, where she is coming from, her past as an student in the ascuran colleges, her time with the inquest experimenting with dragonic energy, her diving in Omadd machine and seeing the eternal alchemy. Her quest to free the sylvari from the pale tree influence. The little voice in her head. her transformation from Ceara to Scarlet and her descend into madness.

That would probably take a lot more then 2 minutes and you’d still haven described a single second of what happened in S1.

Well thing is recaps arent meant to tell people who didnt experience the story what happened, they meant to remind people who experienced the story what happened. There just isnt enough time for the former.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

In the words of a great man that sadly passed away but seems to have set a new toxic trend globally for all companies.

“It’s not that the trailers are bad….u just don’t watch them correctly”

Personally, each time i see an ANet trailer….the content reminds me of everything i hated previously about their events thus making me not wanna play their future content. Just when i was a bit hyped about July 1…they drop a recap bomb that makes me go “…oh kitten i actually played that abomination…….meh…..sad times”

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

The trailer is actualy prtty god in my oppinion. Many people complained that the trailers should not spoil the event and i totally agree whit that. Its way better to explore the content yourself. Since they cant “spoil” stuff the only way is to look back and i think they did a good job, the only thing that trew me off was that it was 2x mentioned that LA burned down. Kinda messed up the timeline. And for the S1, it was a god experience, we watched the evolution of live story, the first of its kind may i add. Shure ther was try and error and some mistakes were made, but in overall it was really enjoiable and i cant wait till season 2.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Real problem is spoiling EVERYTHING like they used to…and not necessarily through trailers but through the patch notes prior to the patch or the visible achievement details which could tell u exactly what was going to happen.

The solution is not completely negating any info but also not completely giving out almost all info. ANet has gone from one extreme to another and extremes are never good in any situation

The solution is somewhere in the middle. But this discussion is not necessarily about the amount of info they give u through trailers…but about the quality of that info.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Tranc.6780

Tranc.6780

For some reason I cringed when it talked about her evil taking root. She did it because she was evil! Sounds so cliche and reminded me of the bad writing all over again.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

It was a recap, NOT a trailer.
And I thought it was great, allthough it made the story of season 1 seem much better than it actually was

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

Someone at ANet really needs to learn the definition of recap.

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Someone at ANet really needs to learn the definition of recap.

Or maybe you do ?

Terrible Trailers

in Living World

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Recap
Noun
1. a summary of what has been said; a recapitulation.

sounds like the Trailer was a recap to me.