Thank you for Caladbolg quest

in Living World

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Although i’ve long been fairly apathetic about many chapters, this sub chapter in the form of mending Caladbolg actually made me feel things. Quiet reflection, remembering the history of the blade and its wielders, and a chance to get closure allowed the sadness of losses old and new to sink in.

It seems like a lot of the time sub characters are introduced, killed off, memorialized and then thrown out rapid fire in the personal, living world, and HoT stories. It meant more to me than I expected to take a breather and have the chance to say goodbye one-on-one, to start healing before moving on.

The locations chosen for the collectables were also nice. I hadn’t noticed some of them despite four years of familiarity with the maps, while others sprung to mind since they were pleasant surprises when found in the past.
The "shrine" in gendarran fields was an exception, the hint suggested that there was a shrine but the location itself has no visible or labeled shrine and I ultimately had to consult a guide in order to find it. All the other hints were good enough for me to figure out the map and then the specific location within a few attempts.

TL;DR this was a very nice extra that enhanced not only new but also very old content and was well done.

(edited by eyestrain.3056)

in Living World

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

One hundred percent agreed! I loved this current event!

in Living World

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

I liked it a lot too. Ridhais was a bit impersonal towards a fellow sylvari, but the all too brief talk with the Pale Tree made up for that, and seeing big brother Trahearne again (even as just a memory) was touching.

As for the “shrine”, that was the one that stumped me too … the only shrine I could think of was the quaggan one underwater. Every other hint was clear enough, and I liked visiting all these places again.

in Living World

Posted by: Wreave.2138

Wreave.2138

Caladbolg was pretty much perfect.

• Closure for Traherne
  • More on the history of the sword and past weilders
  • Scavenger hunts make sense, and locations are perfect.
  • Loved seeing the Heart of Orr again. Great location.
  • And player gets the weapon (assuaging those complaining about that).
  • Even the character of the Sylvarri guiding the way was right.

This is about as good an epilogue as I’ve ever seen.

in Living World

Posted by: Ookamikun.6472

Ookamikun.6472

Their comment on Orr does give me hope we’d eventually see a cleansed version.

in Living World

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

I’ve posted before about this, but just wanted to agree again. This quest was a home run in every way.

in Living World

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I really loved this quest too. I had been sad that so little was made of Trahearne’s death— I always liked him— so I was really glad to see the statue. The quest character interaction was poignant (I would love if someday voice acting was added) and the scavenger hunts + fights were just right. Also, I love all the skins!

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

(I would love if someday voice acting was added)

Sorry, but I think any voice acting they’d add has already been done. Side characters like Ridhais and Leide generally don’t get voices unless they’re part of an event.

in Living World

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Personally, I wish this is how all of the precursors for Legendary Weapons were done. They can keep the expense and all that, but make quests that give you lore about the item. It was so good, and adds so much to the game.

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Regarding the shrine, I think this was more of a nod to GW1, and probably wouldn’t have been thought of without knowing about Bergen Hot Springs…

That said, I have one complaint about this: the green star. Since a star was used, I rather wished they used the gold star from Season 1 – I feel this would have differentiated it enough that it wouldn’t be confusing for those with their story active.

And as others said: I wish this was how the precursor collections were done. This was done oh so right for recovering/remaking a legendary weapon (lorewise in this use, but could be in mechanical use too :P).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

I, too, would like to add my thanks. The only thing that bothered me is that I’d liked to have known beforehand that I’d need max crafting in order to finish this quest.

I was leveling Weaponsmithing anyway, but since reaching 450, you do spend days/weeks refining time-gated mats for experience. It was a bit anti-climatic to suddenly have to stop the quest and wait for crafting dailies in order to make that Vision Crystal, and I think a lot of that could have been avoided if I knew from the start that I’d have to craft my own components.

That being said, I adored seeing Trahearne again, meeting Riannoc and travelling to all these places. Kudos.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

in Living World

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

I, too, would like to add my thanks. The only thing that bothered me is that I’d liked to have known beforehand that I’d need max crafting in order to finish this quest.

I was leveling Weaponsmithing anyway, but since reaching 450, you do spend days/weeks refining time-gated mats for experience. It was a bit anti-climatic to suddenly have to stop the quest and wait for crafting dailies in order to make that Vision Crystal, and I think a lot of that could have been avoided if I knew from the start that I’d have to craft my own components.

That being said, I adored seeing Trahearne again, meeting Riannoc and travelling to all these places. Kudos.

You don’t have to craft it. My highest crafting is leatherworking at a whopping 176. The last reward from the daily log in rewards has a chest with a vision crystal in it. Might have to wait for it, but no crafting needed.

in Living World

Eirian Direstorm.9748

(I would love if someday voice acting was added)

Sorry, but I think any voice acting they’d add has already been done. Side characters like Ridhais and Leide generally don’t get voices unless they’re part of an event.

I was think more of the dialogue with Trahearne… I miss him, and I would have enjoyed a voiced conversation with Riannoc. But yeah, I know it’s unlikely.

in Living World

Rognik.2579

I’m pretty sure Trahearne’s line when he starts fighting, “This won’t end well… for you” is new. So if they recorded that line, they would’ve recorded any other new lines at the same time.

in Living World

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I agree with you guys. This is a beautiful addition to the game.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Living World

Sister Saxifrage.7361

I’m pretty sure Trahearne’s line when he starts fighting, “This won’t end well… for you” is new. So if they recorded that line, they would’ve recorded any other new lines at the same time.

No, he trots that line out occasionally in Orr.

in Living World

Rognik.2579

No, he trots that line out occasionally in Orr.

I know he often says “This won’t end well”, but I thought the addition of “for you” was new.

in Living World

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Cough cough. (10 months ago)

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Living World

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Wait…did I miss something?
Is this part of the Head of The Snake story update?
Or something else?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Living World

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

It was a mini content patch they added a few weeks after head of the snake.

in Living World

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It was a mini content patch they added a few weeks after head of the snake.

Gotcha. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!
It’s been awhile since I played…..

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Living World

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I like the spark quests, the most of descriptions for the shards I couldn’t place and the last fight is horrible. How am I supposed to dodge that first attack (where you must dodge about 20 small attacks and cannot dodge out of the way as it will go in a circle)?

in Living World

Sister Saxifrage.7361

Dodging towards and past the target, or swap to ranged and dodge outwards. I’ve gotten through the fights doing either.

in Living World

Posted by: skyhawk.5149

skyhawk.5149

Agree that small quest was amazing.
Also for the fights i’m pretty sure the ring small attacks can be reflected back for a good chunk of damage.

Retired Oceanic Commander of Eredon Terrace

in Living World

Eirian Direstorm.9748

The ring small attacks can be reflected, and the big orange wedges can be blocked, though avoiding is better.

They are tough fights, but I actually enjoyed them more, maybe just because the narrative was about proving myself to a character I already knew and felt emotional investment in, rather than defeating someone bad.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I have to say this was great fun, I really hope we get more of these, maybe with Magder(?)

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I like how it continues on: The dead of Trahearne. It makes his dead feel more meaningfull, and feel much less like a rude 'decision' from storymakers to listen to community that wanted trahearne gone. I also loved the part with the avatar of pale tree. It's one of my favorite story anchors, so any 'chat' with her is great. And hearing her say 'thank you for saving my people, gives you a heroic feeling that was quite rare since gw2.

The item hunt was also great sending you to some very beautifull (and perhaps to forgotten) locations, like the strawberry farm in Diessa plateau.

So good job on this Anet, i’ll always welcome stuff like this.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Living World

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I think this is a nice compromise between the new style and the old living world model.

Anet should do this kind of thing much more often.

And it would be a great (fun and widely accessible) way to continue or finalize stories from GW1 as well.