The Historian - for people who missed content

in Living World

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

When lore is progressed by removing or changing content in order to replace it, the narrative becomes disconnected from the player experience and becomes forced, which they seem to think enhances immersion but I think it’s easy to argue has the opposite effect.

That is the whole point of a Living World. It’s a “chain of events”. It happens with or without you, just like a Living World does. The LW approach makes the game world a dynamic place where things change, develop, and grow over time. You can be a part of that if you want to, but it’s going to happen whether you show up or not. Because that’s the whole point.

More importantly, though, there are just massive compatibility issues between the LW and the PS. They need to more or less get rid of one so that the other one can work better. Personally, I like the idea of the PS more than the idea of the LW and think that most story content should be permanent and should unfold from a character perspective rather than being forced onto the world by Anet’s development schedule. But, if they decide they just love the LW exactly how it is now, then they need to make major changes to the PS if not remove it altogether.

I sure hope they decide they love LW exactly how it is now. I don’t much care for the static world design of literally every other MMO ever.

I haven’t had any compatibility issues between LW and PS, either. It sounds like you have a very specific idea of what you want the game to be. I’m glad it’s not up to you, though, because I like this LW design so much more than what you’ve described.

It doesn’t matter whether or not it’s the point of their design, it matters whether or not it’s a good design. That point is somewhat debatable, but it’s very easy to point out problems with their LW approach (the forum is boiling over with them), and many, many players are seriously questioning it as a concept at this point.

Also, just because you aren’t analytical enough to notice them doesn’t mean there aren’t compatibility issues between the PS and LW. They are very obviously and very objectively incompatible and this fact has even been discussed by the developers. Sorry, but you don’t know what you’re talking about.

in Living World

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

It doesn’t matter whether or not it’s the point of their design, it matters whether or not it’s a good design. That point is somewhat debatable, but it’s very easy to point out problems with their LW approach (the forum is boiling over with them), and many, many players are seriously questioning it as a concept at this point.

Also, just because you aren’t analytical enough to notice them doesn’t mean there aren’t compatibility issues between the PS and LW. They are very obviously and very objectively incompatible and this fact has even been discussed by the developers. Sorry, but you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Don’t make it personal, bro.

What do you see as the compatibility issues between LW and PS?

in Living World

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

We feel like our fractals dungeon is the perfect fit for this kind of “historical” experience, similar to the way the BMP worked in Gw1. Even better, it already exists and has explanations behind why these slices of time are available to discover and experience within.

In the future, you’ll see certain types of content that was part of larger story experiences be updated to work within the fractals dungeon and return there where it makes sense to do so. Of course, the specific rewards and achievements will not return since those are intended to be completed as the story unfolds, but the content itself will be used to expand out our fractals experience and serve as a place to continue to experience great (and strange) moments in history.

A significant number of casual players can’t manage to get through level 1 of the fractals.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

in Living World

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

We feel like our fractals dungeon is the perfect fit for this kind of “historical” experience, similar to the way the BMP worked in Gw1. Even better, it already exists and has explanations behind why these slices of time are available to discover and experience within.

In the future, you’ll see certain types of content that was part of larger story experiences be updated to work within the fractals dungeon and return there where it makes sense to do so. Of course, the specific rewards and achievements will not return since those are intended to be completed as the story unfolds, but the content itself will be used to expand out our fractals experience and serve as a place to continue to experience great (and strange) moments in history.

A significant number of casual players can’t manage to get through level 1 of the fractals.

I assume he is talking exclusively about the dungeons.

A level 1 fractal should be easier than the dungeon ever was.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant