The Origin of Madness Trailer [Disc Thread]

in Living World

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhrVVkHmwt4

Possible things shown

2 new world bosses. One…giant robot, the other a giant wurm (supposedly a three headed wurm)

Some kind of huge floating platform in the sky

2 locations are lornars pass and bloodtide coast.

edit: Thanks to julian for this post : http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/14/exclusive-preview-of-guild-wars-2s-origin-of-madness-release/

Things from the article

1. New team member for the Rox/Braham/Kasmeer/Majory team. An asuran! We’ve never seen him/her before.

2. Jungle Wurm is perm with its own spawn timer. The underground structure of the wurm spans the entire zone. Location of Jungle wurm: http://imgur.com/a/V126t

3. Scarlet is apparently recalling all of her forces to Lornars Pass and is testing this entire machine against us.

4. “the final four chapters of Scarlet’s story have been written in such a way that players who have missed previous living world content can jump right in.”

P.S Possible location for Scarlets giant robot was hard for me to find. It looks to be a new area or a heavily modified area. Mostly because of the visuals we got and the fact that there’s a waterfall. My guess are False River Valley or Jotun’s Shoulders.

(edited by Deified.7520)

in Living World

Posted by: Egotist.3940

Egotist.3940

Robot is temp, wurm is like Tequatl.

[Blackgate] Blackout Barbie |
You can call me queen bee.

in Living World

Posted by: Julian.8326

Julian.8326

There’s also a preview on Joystiq:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/14/exclusive-preview-of-guild-wars-2s-origin-of-madness-release/

After all the speculation regarding the DO NOT TOUCH things throughout the world, about the magical leylines of Tyria, the Elder Dragons, Primordius and the Destroyers awakening… and I all we get is a big wurm… I’ll be very, very disappointed…

Marcus Ironforge ~ Norn Ranger
Alianza Argentina [ARG] @ Sorrow’s Furnace

in Living World

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

wurm is like Tequatl.

God, I hope not! I’d hope they’ve learned from that.

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

wurm is like Tequatl.

Teq is great. However, it sounds like the worm gets it’s own region.

in Living World

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

There’s also a preview on Joystiq:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/14/exclusive-preview-of-guild-wars-2s-origin-of-madness-release/

After all the speculation regarding the DO NOT TOUCH things throughout the world, about the magical leylines of Tyria, the Elder Dragons, Primordius and the Destroyers awakening… and I all we get is a big wurm… I’ll be very, very disappointed…

It’s eluded in the article that the Wurms are just the beginning basically. They aren’t happy about the Thumpers, but that’s not why the Thumpers are there.

Also there are 3 more updates after this one for the story. I doubt that this new Wurm is the big baddy that will rock Tyria to it’s core.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Living World

Posted by: Xarius.6120

Xarius.6120

In the past LS video there was a female voice to introduce them, now a strange male voice, that’s the first difference from all the others; probably to make notice the changes that will come.

BTW, what the hell does he say?

in Living World

Deified.7520

wurm is like Tequatl.

Teq is great. However, it sounds like the worm gets it’s own region.

Posted wurms location in the original post.

Tequatl has a few problems but the fight itself was great. However it doesn’t sound like they fixed these problems with the new wurm, so I predict the forum will be full of complains again. Big two problems I found was that it required mass coordination and with that you could not easily join the same instance as your friends (overflows and what not) and the timed spawns made it very hard to coordinate with a large group of people (in terms of timing when to be on).

in Living World

Posted by: Mot Bone.4632

Mot Bone.4632

why the giant robot… is using a knife as a weapon??? not laser gun?

in Living World

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Because we have the technological advanced asurans inventing infinity ball, automatic golems, electronic circuitry and teleportation while still fighting with swords and bows

in Living World

Deified.7520

My theory on this is Scarlet was “doing” good the entire time. She has been doing all this to fight the Elder Dragons. I believe Scarlet has found where Primidoius is currently, Lornars Pass. I mean I can’t really think of any other reason why she would build a giant robot and all these toxins and what not simply to test it on this tyrias inhabitants. I mean its pretty clear now that if she wanted to she could probably have overthrown any governing establishment.

in Living World

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

I’ve seen this robot before…

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Theres also this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

While most of its already kinda known, it goes with the Massively one, in which we now know there are 2 big projects that are being worked on in addition to the LS patches.

Because Scarlet is specifically testing just the robot. There are “parts” on it that look like cannons though…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Living World

Deified.7520

Actually scratch that. The robot isn’t in Lornars pass. It is south of lornars pass. That none enterable area that is a perfect circle that is also near one of the zones with the highest destroyer presence

in Living World

Posted by: Dreadnought.5394

Dreadnought.5394

Good God can you say out of control fan fiction? Let’s kill Scarlet and get on with our game here. I hope as much time was spent behind the scenes of this waste of time as was, on new maps, maybe another dragon (I’ve only killed one), and maybe even some more story line.

in Living World

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

maybe another dragon.

You mean, another Zhaitan? Honestly, even with all of the flaws and mistake, i would prefer another year of Scarlet than having an Elder Dragon as boring as Zhaitan.

in Living World

Delvoire.8930

In the past LS video there was a female voice to introduce them, now a strange male voice, that’s the first difference from all the others; probably to make notice the changes that will come.

BTW, what the hell does he say?

Youtube actually has a Closed Caption feature.

He says, and I quote, “She has grand designs…She will succeed at all costs…Even if she has to kill every last one of you…”

in Living World

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I cringed and felt sick when they promoted this as “the beginning of the end”. That just means this will go on for three or four more installments, while most of us are thinking “just put it out of it’s misery already”.

I view the entire story arch as failed game design that cheapens the original ideals the game was built around. I just want to see it end, while I also pray that there will be a major shift in direction over the course of 2014 to undo the damage 2013 has done and get the game back on course towards it’s original, lofty potential.

At this point, I’d prefer to see day one of this event culminate in the floating platform and giant marionette (seriously?), crash and burn on the giant worm, ending the threat forever and commemorating the end of the Living Story concept.

in Living World

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

Theres also this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

While most of its already kinda known, it goes with the Massively one, in which we now know there are 2 big projects that are being worked on in addition to the LS patches.

Because Scarlet is specifically testing just the robot. There are “parts” on it that look like cannons though…

I don’t find the article at all reassuring. For Living Story, (I hate that they are trying to rebrand it “Living World”, because Living World is the concept they originally touted and abandoned to do Living Story), it seems they are just getting away from the multi-month story arcs and trying to tell a story per month. Then that will have to really fail before they decide to really change course and do something different. That sounds like a minor semantical tweak to a development script that needs to be completely re-written.

They hint at expansion like content, which they “still haven’t decided” how to actually present. Expansion? Monthly additions? Sold via the Gem Store? Then talk about things that will occur over the course of the game’s long term development, which makes me wonder if any of that will see the light of day in 2014.

Oh and they will break out the game improvements from the content patches. Well, good in that maybe it will allow the developers working on that stuff to bask in some credit with out the taint of Living Story obscuring their good work, but doesn’t that seem like an admission from Arenanet that Living Story is indeed a taint on the hard work the rest of the developers put into improving game systems and mechanics?

Worst news from the article is that this “end” to the current story arc will not culminate until March. Of course, now knowing that a mildly tweaked Living Story strategy for Season Two will need to fail before they “really start to rethink things”, it’s looking like the game may need to stay on the shelf another year before we get a chance at things getting back on track. Just as this month is just the Beginning of the End for the Scarlett story arc, 2014 is apparently just the Beginning of the (Hopeful) End of the failed Living Story concept.

…sigh…

in Living World

Posted by: Ouimette.5902

Ouimette.5902

maybe another dragon.

You mean, another Zhaitan? Honestly, even with all of the flaws and mistake, i would prefer another year of Scarlet than having an Elder Dragon as boring as Zhaitan.

I think the feedback Anet has received regarding Zhaitan is enough for them to not make the same mistake again. This is a fictional world with so much lore behind it it just can’t whitstand a cartoonish and unoriginal character such as Scarlet once more :p

in Living World

Posted by: A Nifty Unicorn.4358

A Nifty Unicorn.4358

The real question is: Who was that narrator? Normally, the person speaking in these trailers is a character.

in Living World

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Something the ‘voice’ said immediately stood out to me. He says that she may have to kill “every last one of us.” Now this is peculiar because it’s a very exclusionary statement.

We know that all of the races (save perhaps Largos) we have encountered have so far been affected by Scarlet’s shenanigans. This would put the speaker solidly outside the realm of races we have encountered or are familiar with.

Additionally he says that Scarlet MIGHT have to kill all of us. He says something alone the lines of “even if she has to kill…” This sounds very conditional to me. It lets on that Scarlet’s goal may not be destruction of the world (or something along those lines) or killing for the sake of killing.

The third observation is really a combination of those last two points (and assumes that both are true). If we assume the voice is a 3rd party we have not yet encountered and that Scarlet is not necessarily seeking to destroy the main races (but is willing to if needed), it might be reasonable to think that this voice may be either the target of her actions or feels passively threatened by it.

He speaks to us about Scarlet being a threat, yet makes it clear he is not ‘one of us’. Why is he warning us? Is he neutral or an enemy?

Folks have been saying it could be a dragon. I’m not sure (since they are all supposed to be forces of nature without much cognitive ability…iirc). Anyways… things to consider.

Or it could just be an achievement grind fest with literally nothing I just talked about….annnnd I just let myself down with the LW yet again

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Living World

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Sometimes a narrator is just a narrator, folks.

I should be writing.

in Living World

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

I can’t wait for Scarlet to be removed, I prefer an evil mastermind or a force of nature as a foe rather than just a flipping crazy. More Moriarty, less Joker please next time Anet!

in Living World

Posted by: Kuro Zetsumei.1397

Kuro Zetsumei.1397

I can’t wait for Scarlet to be removed, I prefer an evil mastermind or a force of nature as a foe rather than just a flipping crazy. More Moriarty, less Joker please next time Anet!

who says she isn’t? people can act you know, so no doubt Sylvari can too, plus the fact that we know next to nothing about her.

in Living World

Posted by: Mia Lunarfang.5826

Mia Lunarfang.5826

I cringed and felt sick when they promoted this as “the beginning of the end”. That just means this will go on for three or four more installments, while most of us are thinking “just put it out of it’s misery already”.

I view the entire story arch as failed game design that cheapens the original ideals the game was built around. I just want to see it end, while I also pray that there will be a major shift in direction over the course of 2014 to undo the damage 2013 has done and get the game back on course towards it’s original, lofty potential.

At this point, I’d prefer to see day one of this event culminate in the floating platform and giant marionette (seriously?), crash and burn on the giant worm, ending the threat forever and commemorating the end of the Living Story concept.

Yes, after a year of content leading up to one person’s actions, we should simply dispose of that person before she is permitted to manifest them. Because the story was crap, lets just leave one big gaping eyesore of a plot hole; just do away with her, let her disappear without a conclusion, ‘cause, the players wont notice. That would be entirely unprofessional -and- I don’t know about you, but I didn’t wast hours playing this content, to not see it properly wrapped up. Be it to hell they are sailing, it is too late to charter a new course, they’ve risked too much on this voyage, not to see it to the end. And more for that matter, how can we criticize Scarlet as a character, when we have yet to even see her aim, not to mention motive. To simply judge her on inconclusive rising action at the dawn of the turning point, do we even know enough to lament? Stay your voice until after the conclusion, for all you know, once everything is put together, it may appear in a different light. Regardless, LS cannot change direction until the current arc has sealed its fate.

(edited by Mia Lunarfang.5826)

in Living World

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I heard there was an asuran being added to the Scarlet Story. Presumably, that’s who’s voice is on the trailer.

in Living World

Delvoire.8930

Something the ‘voice’ said immediately stood out to me. He says that she may have to kill “every last one of us.” Now this is peculiar because it’s a very exclusionary statement.

We know that all of the races (save perhaps Largos) we have encountered have so far been affected by Scarlet’s shenanigans. This would put the speaker solidly outside the realm of races we have encountered or are familiar with.

Additionally he says that Scarlet MIGHT have to kill all of us. He says something alone the lines of “even if she has to kill…” This sounds very conditional to me. It lets on that Scarlet’s goal may not be destruction of the world (or something along those lines) or killing for the sake of killing.

The third observation is really a combination of those last two points (and assumes that both are true). If we assume the voice is a 3rd party we have not yet encountered and that Scarlet is not necessarily seeking to destroy the main races (but is willing to if needed), it might be reasonable to think that this voice may be either the target of her actions or feels passively threatened by it.

He speaks to us about Scarlet being a threat, yet makes it clear he is not ‘one of us’. Why is he warning us? Is he neutral or an enemy?

Folks have been saying it could be a dragon. I’m not sure (since they are all supposed to be forces of nature without much cognitive ability…iirc). Anyways… things to consider.

Or it could just be an achievement grind fest with literally nothing I just talked about….annnnd I just let myself down with the LW yet again

He doesn’t say “every last one of us”. He says “every last one of you”, which basically kills your theory. Sorry

I would put money down that it’s an Elder Dragon or Dragon Champion that is the narrator. Or at the least, like some have said, it’s just a voice over and means little to the plot. Since they haven’t done that at all yet, I don’t think that’s the case though.

Elder Dragon has my vote and this new Three Headed Wurm is one of it’s Champions.

in Living World

Posted by: Blazing Rathalos.1904

Blazing Rathalos.1904

He doesn’t say “every last one of us”. He says “every last one of you”, which basically kills your theory. Sorry

I would put money down that it’s an Elder Dragon or Dragon Champion that is the narrator. Or at the least, like some have said, it’s just a voice over and means little to the plot. Since they haven’t done that at all yet, I don’t think that’s the case though.

Elder Dragon has my vote and this new Three Headed Wurm is one of it’s Champions.

Pretty sure that’s what he meant, he just translated it to “our” perspective to make it clearer. Unfortunately, that seems to have had a reverse effect Anyway, he goes on to say it seems quite an exclusionary statement, which does coincide with what the voiceover actually said.

Then again, I’m not Arenanet, and everything in
the above post could be complete and utter nonsense.