The Pact or how Living World Story ruined it

in Living World

Posted by: Sharu.8794

Sharu.8794

I meantioned the lack of pact presence in that living world story before.

Everyone who actually worked their way through the personal story – and that should be most of the players – know this ->
“The Pact was founded by the Firstborn sylvari Trahearne, who carries the rank of Marshal, with the player character serving as his second-in-command with the rank of commander. "

So, my character is the second-in-command of a pact and has no option to ask them for help?!
Laranthir mentiones Trahearne is only interested in dragons and not in rescuing a city. Ok, fine. He doesn’t want to help.
But why didn’t “I” the “second-in-command” of the pact got the slitest chance to use the powers such a rank should give me to obtain some troups, around three airships and fight against the Breachmaker before it even made it’s way to Lions Arch? There are thousands of airships over the skyes of Orr fighting thousands of dragons, never stoping even after one killed the Zhaitan… and yet there is no possibility to lend some of those troups to help a city in need? Really?
There isn’t even the option to go and confront him with his actions and actually given the option to punch him for being so ignorant.

It’s like those personal story was a whole big lie, cause nothing of those things my character achieved is helpful when something really bad is happening in Tyria. Why am I an “important” member of an order and even second-in-command of that pact if I actually have no command about anything? Not even a chance to talk to that troups and ask them for help directly…

That just ruined it for me and made that whole personal story part about the pact implausible.

Hopefully we get to know something about Malycks tree and are able to visit Magus Falls/the Falls or Bloodstone Fen if it still exists somewhere out there in that jungle… to make up for that awful stupid result of this living world arc.

- Edit:
To all of you guys who think that the pact has only formed to attack dragons. Why do they fight against Flame Legion Charr in Citadel of Flame? No common sence should’ve kept them from fighting against Scarlet if they could fight the Flame Legion.

(edited by Sharu.8794)

in Living World

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

So your character wants to defend pirates? Is your character evil?

in Living World

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

The reason is that if a new player lvl 20-ish saw the pact helping defend LA it would break the flow time and story when they help create the Pact 10-20 levels later. They have basically painted themselves into a corner with the PS and nothing can enter or leave the PS. All events of the LS happen after/outside of the PS.

in Living World

Posted by: Sharu.8794

Sharu.8794

Would be new to me, cause the timeline shows LS actually happened two years after PS. So the pact is already out there existing, even if someone hasn’t finished his/her PS so far. :/

1325 AE Formation of the Pact, defeat of Zhaitan.
1327 AE The energy probes find an intersection of magical ley lines beneath Lion’s Arch. The forces of Scarlet Briar converge on the city, and Lion’s Arch is destroyed. Mordremoth, the Elder Jungle Dragon, awakens.

in Living World

Posted by: Draugl.8079

Draugl.8079

The reason is that if a new player lvl 20-ish saw the pact helping defend LA it would break the flow time and story when they help create the Pact 10-20 levels later. They have basically painted themselves into a corner with the PS and nothing can enter or leave the PS. All events of the LS happen after/outside of the PS.

I completely agree with the OP here, i wonderes about this myself some patches ago.
It may be true that they didn’t connect the personal story with the living story because of new players, but that was a bad decision in my opinion.

Firstly i think they did iritate way more players this way as i think there are way more players that completed the story and now wonder why the pact and they as a commander didn’t think scarlet to be enough of a threat to do something. Defending Tyria against dragons is nice but pointless if there is noone to protect.

Secondly they didn’t even avoid this disruption of the timeline for new players this way as they will have to include the pact at least for the fight of future elder dragons.

in Living World

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Except now Lanthir (Who’s in LA right now) calls you commander no matter what point you are in your personal story. This might be a bug but I doubt it, it’s time we move on new players or not.

The Sickest Guild NA

in Living World

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

I see this as more of a shortcoming of the PS than LS. A character who has only done the first chapter of PS will go down to Orr and see members of a pact that hasn’t even formed yet.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think this shows why anime does filler arcs that are ultimately unimportant to the overall lore – if you tell a story too big it messes things up.

They wanted to avoid involving big characters like Destinty’s Edge or the Pact, they didn’t want to include the three Orders (at least not prominently) so they created this rag tag team of minorities/misfits, who hug and cuddle all the time, to fill their spot.

If the story had been smaller and didn’t involve world changing events that might have made more sense. The mistake they made was they went for the world changing events, the big moves and they still wrote it as if they didn’t need to include the big characters and organisations. They destroyed one of the biggest cities in Tyria and Tyria’s biggest heroes are nowhere to be seen. They wrote a highly dangerous villain and threatened several people but only the rag tag team was consistently involved in fighting her. If they didn’t want to include the Pact or DE they shouldn’t have written a story that involved a dangerous threat to several nations and the destruction of a large city. It becomes difficult to believe all that would happen while the big protagonists are not around.

in Living World

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I recall reading a dev saying that as of now, all personal story is viewed in the angle of ‘this is what happened in the past.’ The living story is what we live in now. Doing the personal story as a new character, or new player, is viewing the events that have already happened.

Sorta like how Final Fantasy X starts with a brief scene far into the game, and the game until you reach that part is like a flashback.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

in Living World

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Except that they don’t use the old map, for whatever reason, which ends up looking ridiculous when you get to the phase about saving Lion’s Arch from Zhaitan. Um, yes, let’s save this empty ruin. Sounds like a plan.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam