The dying DE system and the new ascended mats

in Living World

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Well, the ascended materials are a way to make people go back to doing them, got any other ideas to make trains any less popular in comparison to normal questing?

Most of the champs in Queensdale Train are also events. No, i don’t think that making DE’s more valuable will make it any less popular.

That’s why I proposed diminishing returns, to make the champ event farming inefficient in comparison to roaming the world.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

in Living World

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Well, the ascended materials are a way to make people go back to doing them, got any other ideas to make trains any less popular in comparison to normal questing?

Most of the champs in Queensdale Train are also events. No, i don’t think that making DE’s more valuable will make it any less popular.

That’s why I proposed diminishing returns, to make the champ event farming inefficient in comparison to roaming the world.

>Make it harder to make money
Hey gaiz! Let’s make the grind HARDER!
I see no drawbacks whatsoever!

Nerfing rewards to force people into other content is a REALLY BAD strategy and lead to people just getting burnt out and quitting.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Living World

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Well, it’s only for these materials, which can’t be sold anyway. Trains will still be fine for gold grind.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

in Living World

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I have a honest question… Why do so many people play games for rewards rather then well for the game? Several people have said in this thread that they like dynamic events (or implied they like them) but said they’re not going to play them until their reward increases.

Everyone plays games for rewards, including you, for some people the reward is just playing the game because you enjoy the combat or the story or the challenge, for some it’s because you get better equipment or skins (or materials that you can put towards better equipment or skins), for some it’s the gold which can be used in a number of ways.

Like most people I’ve done those events a number of times but there definitely are more profitable ways of spending my time in game and gold is pretty much the best thing to further my current goals (which are getting level 500 crafting and T3 cultural armour).

Is it better to play an hour of content you dont enjoy so much that rewards you 5 gold or an hour of content that you really love playing but that rewards you 1 gold?

Surely the question there is shouldn’t ArenaNet make the better, more fun content just as rewarding as champ farming (which incidentally is also event farming)?

in Living World

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I’m so very confused as to how Dynamic Events and Ascended Crafting somehow fit the Living Story forum.

in Living World

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

The cost isnt that high if you do the gathering yourself. it takes what crafting 20 exotic weapons? thats 24 ancient planks, 15 ori, 5 ectos and 5 t6 mats

You sure you did your calculations right? it’s 5 ori dowels per inscription, with the average 2-3 planks added for the weapon itself.
Oh wait, you meant for one weapon. x20 is 480 planks, 300 ori, 100 ectos and 100 mats.
Definitely not 30 mins of farming.

I meant per weapon obviously. its 20 days of 30 mins gathering per day and thats if you do it without “cheating” because if you really dont want to do it you could always load on of the sites that show you were every node is and then with 4 characters that i assume most people have at max level you could easily do all max maps on all 4 characters. That will net you about 144 planks so you could get them all in 4 days if you really wanted to get this done as quickly as possible taking no more then 4hrs in total. But thats boring in my opinion, I would rather explore and find the nodes myself personally.

in Living World

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I have a honest question… Why do so many people play games for rewards rather then well for the game? Several people have said in this thread that they like dynamic events (or implied they like them) but said they’re not going to play them until their reward increases.

Everyone plays games for rewards, including you, for some people the reward is just playing the game because you enjoy the combat or the story or the challenge, for some it’s because you get better equipment or skins (or materials that you can put towards better equipment or skins), for some it’s the gold which can be used in a number of ways.

Like most people I’ve done those events a number of times but there definitely are more profitable ways of spending my time in game and gold is pretty much the best thing to further my current goals (which are getting level 500 crafting and T3 cultural armour).

Is it better to play an hour of content you dont enjoy so much that rewards you 5 gold or an hour of content that you really love playing but that rewards you 1 gold?

Surely the question there is shouldn’t ArenaNet make the better, more fun content just as rewarding as champ farming (which incidentally is also event farming)?

One doesnt preclude the other really. Look at real life. We all go to work to make money in order to support our families but do we all go do the most rewarding (highest paying) jobs? no and why is that ? because we dont want to be miserable while earning money doing something we dont enjoy at all so we choose a field that we enjoy working in and do that.

We’re willing to sacrifice profit to increase our enjoyment in real life even though work isnt strictly speaking something we do for fun but it seems we cannot sacrifice profit in games for enjoyment which is actually something we specifically do for fun. Seems pretty contradictory to me.

They can’t… One because whats most fun varies from person to person. Two because different activities involve different difficulty level / speeds. Lets assume Arenanet tries to balance every activity to reward 3 gold per hour be it 3 hours of dynamic events / champion farming / jumping puzzles / WvW etc..

What do you think will happen? Do you think people who enjoy doing jp will start doing jping now that they can earn the same amount? I doubt it because no matter how much you love jp you will fail one now and again thus it will be less profitable then say doing DE in a level 2-15 zone where its impossible to loose. Will people still do champion farming? nope because you need to find a train to start doing that which in turn wastes time DE in a level 2-15 zone? well you just go straight in and start any time you want.

You might say you could always factor in risk and time required and adjust the reward accordingly but then we’d be back to square one, DE are now no long as profitable as Champion trains so we go do that instead.

I think this is mostly a psychological " issue" (its not an issue per se just dont have a better word for it.) If you desire reward primarily there will always be that content thats more rewarding then anything else and in this state of mind that will be the content people who value reward above all else will end up gravitating towards.

(edited by Galen Grey.4709)

in Living World

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

The OP makes a decent point about events falling by the wayside. His conclusion/solution is nonsense though. Events are one of the main sources of karma so if Anet wants to boost events (not sure they even do) they should add more non-required but highly desired karma sinks.

in Living World

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Dynamic Events was made for new players to get together and level up. Once a player reaches level 80, it should be World Events that keep their interest.

I hasn’t done any DE for like at least 4 months.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs