The legendary crown

The legendary crown

in Living World

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

Let’s start by taking the tale that Rytlock recounts about how the Six gave 2 magic swords and 1 magic crown to a human king, to “protect the kingdom”. We know of Sohothin and Magdaer, of course, but this McGuffin, this Magical Crown of Reversing Curses seemed to come completely out of the blue, like a Deus Ex Machina.

…but what if we have known of this crown all along, since GW: Prophecies? Before touching on that, let’s backtrack a little:

We NOW have the knowledge that Elder Dragons are some sort of magic buffer that regulate the abundance of magic in Tyria. We also know that races that are dwindling (Seers, Dwarves, Mursaat, Jotun and Forgotten) battled them 10,000 years prior. And we also know that the Seers did something to preserve some of the magic flow that existed at the time.

That something was creating the Bloodstone(s).

But wait a minute! Humanity as a completely different take on that!
Isn’t it said that the Six, well, mainly Abaddon, gave magic freely into the world? Why, yes, indeed that’s what the lore from GW said. It stated that magic allowed for great bloodshed, and that at last, Doric, the Human king, pleaded before the Five and they agreed to seal magic in a stone that would contain a drop Doric’s blood. This led to Abaddon’s revolt.

Now, it is said that the Bloodstone was then split into four pieces, with a Keystone to bring them together again, and then cast into the Ring of Fire largest volcano.

Hmmm…. where did we hear something about something being split into four somethings?

The Crown. And it was given to a Human leader. And it was given by the Six. To protect. The Kingdom (which can be though of as the entire planet).

Well, Humans are after all, mortals, and from a perspective, have a short lifespan. Stories, myths and legends are a big part of Humanity because of that: events of past need to be recorded somehow and passed down, because Human memory does not last long, and their print in the world is a fleeting illusion. But stories, myths and legends have a common element, and that is that they are mainly transmitted in a oral narrative medium; this leads to unreliability of the accounts.
Events, then, become somehow mutable.

What if the Crown story was real, and it got somehow merged and then distorted into the Human recollection of the Bloodstone story?

Of course, there is something that doesn’t line up with this:

-If the Crown thing really did happen, what’s with the blood part of the legend? Why did Doric approach the Gods?

What do you all think?

The legendary crown

in Living World

Posted by: AVM.5746

AVM.5746

Yeah, I feel it’s some developed plot device to get the possibility that a Charr can undo the curse. Seriously, his crown? What story writer makes up all these plot devices? Speaking of plot devices, why don’t we name a few?

The blue orb
It blocks all undead. Don’t ask where it came from, even though it changed the tide of the war. Did Bubbles make this thing? What are we doing with the orb right now?

The ship that shot down Zhaitan:
Who made this giant ship that conveniently saved us in midair? Better yet, why weren’t we on it in the beginning of that mission? Why wasn’t I notified we had this superweapon in the first place?! I was commander of the pact!!

Can’t release anchor, cannot set off:
This one get’s me all the time, especially since i own a boat. So you can’t release the airship because you have one anchor setting? So Logan has to stay behind and cut it off? …Why the heck just cut it off from the ship!? I know you can cut it off. I saw Logan do it from ground with his sword! You’re telling me this big ship can’t leave because of that one anchor? Better yet, what idiot designed the ship where you can’t cut the anchor while onboard? Was this suppose to establish how Logan is repenting for ditching them, or showing how Rytlock still cared about him? What’s the point of him looking like he died when he comes back without a scratch anyway?

Knowing Mordremoth
How exactly did my player character know Mordremoth? Especially his name, it’s not common like “David”. I mean, we as fans knew of the name, but I don’t think my player character can break the 4th wall and ask us about it. People said, “We read it in that book we fought to get in the story mission.” I played that mission 5 times, I don’t recall them translating it and having it read to us. Actually, I don’t recall the name even popping up anywhere in the lore.

Dinky as Warband leader
WHO THE CRAP WOULD CHOOSE DINKY AS WARBAND LEADER!?!
“Whenever I plan, I fall asleep.”
NUFF SAID!

The legendary crown

in Living World

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

Who made this giant ship that conveniently saved us in midair? Better yet, why weren’t we on it in the beginning of that mission? Why wasn’t I notified we had this superweapon in the first place?! I was commander of the pact!!

The pact made it. When wrapping up the final mission before Arah story, two pact members that you pass in fort Trinity argue about that ship:
After returning to Fort Trinity
While passing through the fort:
Pact Mechanic: No, no, no. I told you, it’s not ready!
Pact Mechanic: But…the “Glory of Tyria” is our flagship! It should be in the fight against Zhaitan! It-
Pact Mechanic: -isn’t FINISHED yet! By the Bear, do you want it to sink like a stone in its first battle?
Pact Mechanic: Your problem. You better hope we win without it, because we may not get another chance.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

The legendary crown

in Living World

Posted by: AVM.5746

AVM.5746

The pact made it. When wrapping up the final mission before Arah story, two pact members that you pass in fort Trinity argue about that ship:
Pact Mechanic: But…the “Glory of Tyria” is our flagship! It should be in the fight against Zhaitan! It-
Pact Mechanic: -isn’t FINISHED yet! By the Bear, do you want it to sink like a stone in its first battle?
Pact Mechanic: Your problem. You better hope we win without it, because we may not get another chance.

Thank you! That relieves me of one thing that bugged me in the story line (though I’d personally would’ve like to have known we had that thing to begin with and be personally informed our superweapon with anti-dragon weapons isn’t operational yet, being the Pact Commander and all). How bout everything else?

The legendary crown

in Living World

Posted by: Stormy Dragon.9210

Stormy Dragon.9210

The blue orb
It blocks all undead. Don’t ask where it came from, even though it changed the tide of the war. Did Bubbles make this thing? What are we doing with the orb right now?

The Krait were using it to keep the Risen away from their deeps in Mount Malestrom until the Pact stole it from them. There’s an entire personal story arc about it:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wet_Work

It’s currently being used to power the perimeter defenses for Fort Trinity to keep the remnants of Zaihtan’s forces from attacking it.

The legendary crown

in Living World

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

Right, guys, but, any opinion on the Human conception of the Bloodstone being a distorted story of the Crown?

The legendary crown

in Living World

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Since we have found three pieces of the bloodstone already (in Guild Wars 1: Bloodstone Fen, Bloodstone Caves in Sparkfly Swamp, and Abaddon’s Mouth on the Ring of Fire island chain) and discovered the place where the sundering of the original Bloodstone occurred (Bloodstone’s Unmaking in the gardens of the Heavencrystal Palace of Arah)… no, there ‘s absolute 0% chance for the Bloodstone’s splitting being a distorted human story influenced by the Ascalonian crown, which is a gift from the Orrian royalty to the Ascalonian that was bestowed upon the latter after the Exodus and the limiting of magic.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

The legendary crown

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Thank you! That relieves me of one thing that bugged me in the story line (though I’d personally would’ve like to have known we had that thing to begin with and be personally informed our superweapon with anti-dragon weapons isn’t operational yet, being the Pact Commander and all). How bout everything else?

Well, maybe if you weren’t too busy running around personally killing all the things and completing all the missions, they’d have kept you up-to-date on the logistics.

It’s not the mechanics’ fault that you’re never in the base to give news to. :P