[Theory] Sylvari are actually Spirits?

in Living World

Posted by: Kayji.4390

Kayji.4390

So after the latest revelation of the living story, I developed a theory as to who the sylvari actualy are (spoliers for those who haven’t done the last chapter of LS season 2):

I believe the sylvari’s body is actually the physical manifestation of Mordremoth’s corruption surrounding the spectral bodies of ghosts. Who would these spirits be? Well my first guess would be the druid spirits that used to reside in the Maguuma jungle.

From GW wiki:
The Druids were a group of Krytan humans that long ago moved to the Maguuma Jungle in order to live with nature. It is said that they are devout followers of Melandru, though this is only rumors. According to the History of Tyria, they were forced out of jungles in the long distant past by other humans. They were last seen by others sometime before 982 AE and mysteriously vanished decades before 1072 AE. Although generally believed to have been killed off by the jungle’s predatory plants and animals, the Druids actually shed their physical bodies to become one with nature. The Druids now exist as spirits, appearing similar to Oakhearts.

Alternatively, the spirits that were corrupted may also be remnants of the Chosen who were sacrificed by the White mantle. The Chosen were said to have a higher aptitude for Magic.

I personally think it’s a mixture of both but not exclusive to these two. For example, shining blade soldiers or travelers/adventurers who may have died in the Maguuma jungle in which their spirits remained.

I believe the trees were a means for Mordremoth to siphon the nearby spirits that wandered the jungle in which the pale tree is one of them. The spirits would then be reborn as minions of the dragon in which their energies are used to continuously feed the dragon. The dragon would likely have a bigger appetite for the spirits with a higher affinity to magic (such as the druids and the chosen). The purpose of the trees is to retain the old memories and aspirations of these spirits which they had while they were alive so that they are left empty; the sylvari were supposed to be reduced to simply being a ‘prize’ to be ‘collected’ by Mordremoth once he awoken. This may explain the vulnerability of the soundless.

However, the Pale tree is unique in that shares a dream with the sylvari under its branches. For me , the dream is likely connected to those memories and aspirations that I mentioned while making them relevant to the present time. With these asumptions, it could be that the Pale tree is releasing or has released that essence which made those spirits who they were when they were alive while combing it with the teachings of Ventari. Why is the Pale tree doing this? Well we can safely assume Ventari has something to do with it. By releasing the ‘Dream’ to the sylvari, the sylvari are able to block out the dragon’s voice.

Yet, I don’t think the dream makes a sylvari completely immune to the dragon. It depends on the individual such as the conviction of their dream (which would correlate to the conviction of their character in life).

The PC sylvari may have once been a human druid who was tasked with containing the dragon’s corruption in the jungle but ultimately fell victim to it which would his/her dream.

Now this may explain several mysteries behind the sylvari:
1) Their human appearance
2) Their ability to summon druid spirits
3) Their immunity to Zhaitan
4) Their unique dreams which define who they are
5) The vulnerability of the soundless to the dragon

Now if all this were to be true, an ironic and paradoxical tragedy can be found in two of the biggest sylvari villains; Faolain and Scarlet. They both sought freedom from the Pale tree and tried to break free from their fate. Yet by rejecting their dreams, they essentially rejected who they once were and their past aspirations and thus they threw away their freedom. I personally think this would be a good direction to take the story.

This would also give us some insight into the possible consequences if Mordremoth were to reach the ascalonian ghosts and the the importance of preventing this.

Your thoughts?

(edited by Kayji.4390)

in Living World

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

Very interesting reading, I really like the idea of the sylvari being linked to spirits and the possible threat of mordremoth to take control of the ascalonian ghosts, as that could further link Rytlocks involvement to the plot with his blindfolded eyes (ritualist = spiritmasters, maybe that links to druids, and they might become a new class in Heart of Thorns), aswell as Marjory’s Greatsword which is fused with her ghost sister.

in Living World

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

You know, the PC Gamer issue that originally announced GW2 described the sylvari as a race of nature spirits, so at least in the very early stages of the race’s development this was very much the intention. I’m not in a position to access my copy at the moment, does anyone have any scans?

If you look at the GW2W page on druids, you see that pre-release there was also a link between sylvari and druids, which was never explored in-game (as far as I can tell anyway, although there might be a couple events in Brisban Wildlands that hold the key to this).

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

in Living World

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

If this is the case it will make me and my main character (a sylvari) feel a bit better. I just don’t want to be hated

So yes, spirit of someone that died in the maguuma is better than “just a dragon minion”, would fit very well with the connection I made between my main in GW2 and my main in GW1 actually, as instead of just finding some objects somewhere near the tree that belonged to my GW1 character, she could have her spirit.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Living World

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

If this is the case it will make me and my main character (a sylvari) feel a bit better. I just don’t want to be hated

So yes, spirit of someone that died in the maguuma is better than “just a dragon minion”, would fit very well with the connection I made between my main in GW2 and my main in GW1 actually, as instead of just finding some objects somewhere near the tree that belonged to my GW1 character, she could have her spirit.

I agree. I really like this idea.
Knowing the Sylvari are dragon minions made me think a lot about what happens to them after they die. I always remember Sieran saying she was going to the Mists, but was she, really? Do Sylvari “return to the dream”, like their elders say? Do they even have souls, or are they just constructs? It breaks my heart that Sieran might have found an eternity of nothingness instead of the Mists.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Living World

Posted by: Fauven.3195

Fauven.3195

The Force of creativity is strong with this padawan. Wait… Wring one. You know what I mean :p
Somehow makes sense. My only concern is… How the hell you came up with this? :p but still nice theory though

Ranger & mesmer 80
Piken Square [Gwen]

in Living World

Kayji.4390

Very interesting reading, I really like the idea of the sylvari being linked to spirits and the possible threat of mordremoth to take control of the ascalonian ghosts, as that could further link Rytlocks involvement to the plot with his blindfolded eyes (ritualist = spiritmasters, maybe that links to druids, and they might become a new class in Heart of Thorns), aswell as Marjory’s Greatsword which is fused with her ghost sister.

Thx =). And I didn’t think about Marjory’s Blade. In fact, now that I think about it, this season has been quite ghost/spirit orientated.

in Living World

Kayji.4390

You know, the PC Gamer issue that originally announced GW2 described the sylvari as a race of nature spirits, so at least in the very early stages of the race’s development this was very much the intention. I’m not in a position to access my copy at the moment, does anyone have any scans?

That’s quite interesting. There’s actually been a recent dev post stating that they planned for the sylvari to be dragon minions way before release which just confirms in my mind that there is a link between sylvari as spirits and the sylvari as minions. If you’ve found that copy, can you post it?

in Living World

Kayji.4390

The Force of creativity is strong with this padawan. Wait… Wring one. You know what I mean :p
Somehow makes sense. My only concern is… How the hell you came up with this? :p but still nice theory though

Thx. Its funny, because I’ve thougth of this theory and refined it for a very ling time in my mind but never bothered to post it. I’ve been reading people’s theories and of how they thought the pale tree was a dragon champ and the sylvari minions and what not. But I was also bothered by the fact that they looked human and that they were somehow linked to druids so I came up with my own theory putting everything together, I was also thinking of writing some fan fiction of my sylvari nerco who was going to journey to try and discover his past self =).

in Living World

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i like that theory
and that could really be a good connection from rytlock to the current modremoth story
with those ascalonian ghost possibly becoming an even bigger thread..

i also like this theory as an explanation for sylvaris human form and the druid summon skill

i think you should also post it in the lore forum

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

in Living World

Kayji.4390

Ty =). I think your right; this thread is probably more relevant in the lore section =/.