There is only WAR

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

The story is mostly crap as it is, to my experience so far (2 years), considering all the opinions I heard from all the players I had talk with or seen on map chat. And I agree.

I could add the “this isn’t rpg as you promised” topic, but it would split the discussion to much. Lets keep it to the “living and personal story”, the mood, and background of characters (as it is/should be a part of story).

Problem? When I think about the topic, 2 things come to my mind :

1, Artwork is way to good and expressing a big deal more depth to the game and fantasy it is representing. When you log in, you don’t even remotely feel the same thing as you feel looking at artwork.
Taking this further, analyzing, why the artwork feels better, I come to the point to feel, it not dark enough.
By not any chance I mean it should be a World of Darkness game, or Warhammer 40k. No, what I think, its to general, mainstream. Which is clearly not what most Guild Wars fans would expect.
By all means the game is starting to feel like WoW-s story line…chaotic and rushed. Not true to its original concept, which is going to kill of a big part of player base, and make them hate the devs. and the game as it is. Same way most Warcraft fans hate WoW and Blizzard. Because they expect Warcraft 2 feeling.

2, Characters and players feel silly, non “realistic” even to an mmorpg. And there is no point of argument here, day by day we all experience the players finding npc and plot and “acting” to be pathetic. Anyone says different either disabled chat, or didn’t even seen personal story, or just skipped “cutscenes”, and didn’t even care for what is going on.
-As a side note : Cutscenes are terrible, they are basically “2 person talking”. That is not a cutscene my dear devs! Gw1 had good cutscenes, you felt your character yourself. You felt yourself in the action, there doing heroic stuff. Why did you change them?

Here is my suggestion. Its an EXAMPLE, not something I want exacly to be implemented, but as a direction example, how could you fix this pathetic direction your non progressing living story could develop on. And change the mood of the game without real artwork, item skins or anything like that.

There is only WAR

in Living World

Nekroseth.5186

Queen Jennah weds Logan, and gives birth to Prince Rurik the second.
There is a prophecy, that the prince will change the fate of Tyria from certaint destruction.
Queen Jennah gets killed on a diplomatic mission, A charr tribune sacrefices himself to save Prince Rurik, from the attacking centaurs.
Logan takes the throne till Prince Rurik comes to age. Meantime the order of whispers unveils, that the centaur attack had nightmare courts hand in it.

Logan swears to exterminate the centaurs once and for all. Not to mention the tension with the sylvari escalates after Scarlets incident with LA. The charr seeing the humans resolve, finally see them as equals. The charr and humans form an alliance, and become true brothers in arms.

Meantime using up the political disturbance and lack of support from the humans and charr, the nightmare cour manages to poison the mother tree, leaving only roots. (that do grow back in time)

Caith takes control of the Sylvari reforming them, blaming the humans and charr. Forms the Thornguard, and elite warrior class along with the Wrathguard and Tidebreakers and manages to get rid of the Nightmare court once and for all.
Without the mother tree, the sylvari change (to there original concept art). Darker more resilent. There race finally understands what sorrow is, like the more elder races alredy do.

The Asura decide to aid the Sylvari, as they feel, they are responsible to lead the younger race to a better path, while the inquest ally with Human and Charrs making the Asura race divided.

The Norn getting political pressure from both sides, ask the kodan for help and form the Northrend wind alliance, with the support from quaggans.

There are rumors that Caithe awoken a Green elder dragon, and its effecting the mother growing mother tree, its becoming thorny and twisted.

As all out WAR seems inevitable, the portals to the mist become weak, unstable, but real live battlefield zones on certaint maps become active. THe humans and charr are expanding towards the cristal desert for mines, for there almost futuristic weapons( charr and inquest influence) the Sylvari and Asura are looking for resources in maguma. Developing a mix of Nature and Technology.

Something like this…..And sorry for the terrible English.

Attachments:

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: blakkrskyrr.7413

blakkrskyrr.7413

interesting plot! and the concept art is great as well! nicely thought out, but doubtful that there will be any use to it, unfortunately. Would be nice if they would take story ideas from the fanbase, but…

There is only WAR

in Living World

Nekroseth.5186

Yes, I have to agree. They probably have the next few years planned, or at least sketched up.

These are the original concept arts of Guild Wars 2. I personally like them a lot better, not sure why they switched style. Don’t want to blame on money and marketing always, but it must be the case.

Here are some old artworks. The non included Margonite race, Cronomancer-Ritualist classes.

Attachments:

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’m not sure what you’re expecting; it’s a T-rated game. T for teen. And there is no question in my mind that is the largest demographic in the game. I, too, would love to see a darker Tyria, but their target market by and large does not have the capacity to appreciate that, and so, you get silly characters and uninspiring plot. Meh. At least the loot is shiny.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: NEOCROM.8957

NEOCROM.8957

You wanted an M-rated one? You would see tons of blood then and some other minor things, that’s all the difference.
Anyway, let’s talk about the major problems here, that i’ve seen at other ppl, not mine:
1. Black Lion ofc, cuz well, ppl arent happy because, well, you can figure it out, gems ->gold. This wont change, no matter how much ppl QQ.
2. Personal story, seen some ppl not happy with this, dunno why, personally i was happy, i mean, your goal is to defeat the main enemy and yeah, he was a bit weak for a final boss, but the road to him, even in dungeon takes a while. Same with this, i dont think this will change
3. GvG and other things. I would personally love too to see a GvG system and some rewards to come with it. This can be implemented in the future and would be nice to see.
4. Botters and gold sellers. Yeah, funny and sadly to see this on a B2P game. In every game i’ve played, botters and gold sellers kinda won the war. So if they wont make some “magic” and make a system against gold sellers, they will continue to win.
5. No “end game” gear. As long as you can zerg and kill tons of ppl, who cares lol.
6. LS permanent content, oh YEAH, this is the main problem here it seems, ppl QQ-ing all over the forums for permanent content every month facedesk….really? Let’s say you would have tower of nightmares, tri-key chest, marionette and other cool stuff, would you imagine the chaos after a time? Too much isnt good, it’s like you drink beer after beer, you get drunked, and drink again and again till alcoholic coma. It’s not good to have tons of permanent content, but from time to time it wouldnt hurt.

Now this are the 6 major problems to discuss and clarify, other problems are minor, less interesting and not worth to waste time discussing.
In my opinion, the game is a mix of casual – hardcore, sometimes you play casual, sometimes you play hardcore. I really dont know why ppl want full hardcore stuff here, you want to go no-life and zerg without break all the day? You want lower drop rate? Cuz that hardcore means, you are tempted to play over and over again, but ofc those rewards at the end are not always good, trust me, i know what i am talking about. Played that cool A. game from 2009, if you know what i mean, and yes, tons of things, sieges, rifts, 2 races to fight each other in lvl 20+ maps, etc. Well, that was a no-lifing game, but the rewards from a +3 hrs dungeon….were not nice at all.

So for ppl who thinks this game has major issues….wake up, cuz i dont think you’ve played games with majors issues if you think this game has serious problems. Many of the MMOs out there has 10x more problems than here, and would make this game be a “God” in comparisson with other games.

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: Revler.2359

Revler.2359

fund it

I agree, the game has a very teen, unrealistic atmosphere, but apparently the content designers from GW1 all quit, so that is why the change in style

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: ekimsfree.9406

ekimsfree.9406

Game ain’t for you man, simple as that.

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I like the story of GW2. Not a fan to some parts of the story like Treherne and the final chapters… But I like the Living Story and the way it seems to lead, it is just how I like the story to be.

Reading your story, it feels like I have read it before… It’s more like everydays old fantasy tale. I like your story I realy do but it is so “used”. Sorry.

This is ofcourse my opinion so in the end I just say ‘I don’t agree’.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

Yes, I have to agree. They probably have the next few years planned, or at least sketched up.

These are the original concept arts of Guild Wars 2. I personally like them a lot better, not sure why they switched style. Don’t want to blame on money and marketing always, but it must be the case.

Here are some old artworks. The non included Margonite race, Cronomancer-Ritualist classes.

Um, no. That’s actually just old GW1 Nightfall concept art, by Kekai Kotaki:
http://www.kekaiart.com/guild-wars.html

His GW2 artwork is found here:
http://www.kekaiart.com/guild-wars-2.html

Note that it’s still the same guy.

(edited by Enokitake.1742)

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

The phrase “easier said than done” comes to mind.

Us players can talk ourselves to death by arguing on how to make the game better, but that doesn’t change the fact that the devs don’t have a magic wand to change everything on whim. The have to work with time restrictions, financial restrictions, technology restrictions, rating restrictions, and story restrictions.

Trying to change the game in any sort of drastic way, would be like trying to bring a moving train to a dead stop to change directions. It doesn’t work well at all. The best thing to do on something of this scale is make small changes and improvements that add up overtime. It might take longer to do, but it’s a lot less jarring of an experience.

As for your example, there is a reason why gw2 went with the unification theme. Without everyone working together, there is a strong possibility that an Elder Dragon could kill them all, since they are an extinction level event if left alone. Everyone is fighting everyone in your narrative suggestion. What’s stopping an ED from popping up an wiping out all the weakened forces after a major battle?

Sure, the adde conflict might add more “maturity” and “realism” to the game in your opinion, but the added global conflict doesn’t make much sense when there are literal monsters at the door waiting to kill everyone.

There is only WAR

in Living World

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Your plot sounds like a bad version of TESO’s.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /