To Live Or Not To Live (the story)

in Living World

Posted by: MirroredTears.5678

MirroredTears.5678

Q:

How am I suppose to start playing again GW2 after 3 months, since when I logged in yesterday i’ve found i missed so many contents?
I mean..I know the “living story” concept and the perpetual changes but in this way newbie and people who left the game for sometime aren’t really involved to keep on exploring Tyria and its lore; since i logged in my only thought is “Omg, look how much i’ve missed since January!” The fact I can’t “complete” the game (or at least trying to) at 100% is a bit annoying, but whatever.

I really think living story could be a great innovation for MMOs, but i think also that this way of playing discourage newbies and casual players and let them feeling their game experience lacking and incomplete.

On the other hand, I understand who did these events months ago and now is wearing/showing all the rewards and the vanity stuffs and don’t want them to be obtainable again.

Should be a fair compromise to keep the rewards unique (not obtainable anymore) and give the possibility to newbies and casual players to revive the past events (and earn at least the story achievement)?
What’s your thought?

in Living World

Posted by: Jonny.4837

Jonny.4837

Quote mirroredtears!

in Living World

Posted by: Jam.4521

Jam.4521

The dungeons and sections of the story are going to end up in fractals I think if that helps at all?

Unless, like me, you don’t play fractals.

BOOM

in Living World

Posted by: Enola B Twenty Nine.2631

Enola B Twenty Nine.2631

Well, I have said it before, and will say it again. I prefer the expansion route. I would love Cantha back. I don’t really like the living story option. It rushes me, as I want to do other things with my life, but have to keep doing the living story to finish it. So as much as I do it, I am annoyed, which is not fun. I want new worlds, new places to explore, not new people in the same old places.
Anyway, I am not really answering your question, I know… so I will say, yeah, I agree, if the story was available still, that would be nice… but then it wouldn’t be living, would it? At least I could finish the last few annoying karka events which I missed due to other things I had to do. So yes, I would love to go back to that time.

in Living World

MirroredTears.5678

I heard something like that..obviously summarize an entire event in a 10-minutes dungeon part isn’t the same as playing even only a reenactment (also, i quit gw2 on early 2013 and i’ve not done that instance so much, and it’s not easy to find an entire group doing low level fractals); again, seems that Anet wants to “force” people not to leave the game and imho this is damaging those player who enjoy the lore part and could not play for some months.
Anyway, thanks for response!

in Living World

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I agree. This dying story nonsense has to stop. Make it live, grow and expand the world, and we’ll talk.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Living World

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

newbie and people who left the game for sometime aren’t really involved to keep on exploring Tyria and its lore; since i logged in my only thought is “Omg, look how much i’ve missed since January!” The fact I can’t “complete” the game (or at least trying to) at 100% is a bit annoying, but whatever.

By “compete the game” all you need to do is the story and achive the six goals on the charactor select screen. everything else is just tyria growing like a real world.
you missed christmas and return to see you siblings with new toys, the world is different but your goals arent hindered. if you had an interest in the game world you would have either kept playing or looking at the site for somethnig to drive you back nito the game and seen these event.
the argument that “i missed these month long event’s” is tiring, the devs have already stated instances would be added to the fractals which essentually are fragments of time – past present and future. so you can do the story events.

if your motivation is missed rewards tough luck best answer i saw for this was a post that went:

player 1 – “that flaming book back item is awesome where did you get it”
Player 2 – “last year a mad king destroyed the lion in lions arch and torment tyria with his minions, i ventured into his mad worlds and defeated him, this was one of the rewards”
Player 1 – “cool can i get one”
Player 2 – " sorry kid, you had to be there".

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

in Living World

MirroredTears.5678

As i wrote in the first post (but maybe is not clearly defined, so I’ll repeat) I think that unique skins and reward should remain unique; the problem is that most of the stories I did not play aren’t available anymore, and this is not too fair imo.

My motivation is “I bought the game, so I’d like to experience most of the stuff without the nag to do all in a short period of time or the fear that, if I’m forced to quit the game for some months, I missed a lot of contents that’ll never pop up again”.
I know this could be a different way to see this game, and maybe Dev’s just intended gw as some sort of life-simulator, mine was just a consideration.

By the way, I quit because my pc get broken..and look at the site for the news isn’t really the same as playing. I’m not focussing on the minis or on the gear, just on the lore and the quests.
Are they gone forever? Good, I’ll summarize if keep playing or not.
Thanks for the reply!

in Living World

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

you might have missed something, but the good thing: everytime you log in there is something new to do. Updates are currently coming in 2-week intervalls and people who love the game and still play it get rewarded for their love to the game with new things to do constantly.

The story is in chapters which don’t need you to know the previous ones, each arc has a conclusion and each chapter has a new story… just like TV-shows.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Posted by: theenigma.3597

theenigma.3597

you might have missed something, but the good thing: everytime you log in there is something new to do. Updates are currently coming in 2-week intervalls and people who love the game and still play it get rewarded for their love to the game with new things to do constantly.

The story is in chapters which don’t need you to know the previous ones, each arc has a conclusion and each chapter has a new story… just like TV-shows.

And unlike TV shows people that had no opportunity to experience past events cant just go pop in a DVD or download a series and relive the content, big difference, and in a lot of peoples opinion a bad design choice.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

DVD = fractals. A TV series isn’t on DVD the instant it’s live, it takes some time… just as fractals.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Living World

Posted by: theenigma.3597

theenigma.3597

DVD = fractals. A TV series isn’t on DVD the instant it’s live, it takes some time… just as fractals.

To carry on with the whole TV show DVD comparison, the fractals will only be the dungeons from the events, so its basically watching one single episode from a whole season of a show…… hardly the whole experience of the event.

in Living World

Marcus Greythorne.6843

To carry on with the whole TV show DVD comparison, the fractals will only be the dungeons from the events, so its basically watching one single episode from a whole season of a show…… hardly the whole experience of the event.

It wouldn’t be THAT interesting to put holograms, dragonball and pinatas in a fractal. :P