Too Much Jumping Required

in Living World

Posted by: Fornax.7928

Fornax.7928

I like Jumping Puzzles, they are fun but optional. When I feel like doing my best impression of lemming I head to one and have hours of eye bleeding fun. I do not however want to be forces to jump everywhere.

I would love to see a change to the mechanics in Dry Top. I know in my guild and circle of on-line friends this requirement has put many off playing in the new areas and completing the living world story.

Please make jumping optional once more, not required. <3

(I know many will say, its optional to do the living story, its optional to explore – but when the whole of the new content is based round those kind of mechanics I think you are stretching the term optional beyond reason.)

Thanks for reading. <3

“So what if the universe is a pointless mass of hydrogen refuse powered by
entropy. I’m spreading ketchup on a rubber duck, and after that I’m going
to brush its teeth. So there.”-

in Living World

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Let’s just remove the Z-axis so noone ever jumps ever again.

Really though, there is one difficult set of jumps in Dry Top, and it was for the goggles. The rest are just “hit 1, press W”

If jumping makes your eyes bleed, a.) get that checked out, b.) any game with a Z-axis and uses a spacebar is not for you.

I have personally forgot the amount of jumping that is required because it was so miniscule and unintrusive, that it was a non factor.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in Living World

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

That wouldn’t make the gw2 reinvention of the area practical. The third dimension and the ability to jump make travel easier. Navigating the area in GW1 without a functioning jump was tedious and frustrating. This is one of those things that you need to play the first to truly appreciate.

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

The fun old days of seeing some great loot drop from a foe you just ranged killed in the valley below you.

Then having to LITERALLY go all the way to the start of the map, to get that one ramp which leads down to that level and fight through all of the enemies in order to actually reach your shiny loot.

Besides, none of the jumps in dry top are hard besides the JP/goggles. And maybe the vistas and such in the second part but do those when it’s not sandstorm and it’s far easier.

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’m gonna have to agree with everyone else here, OP. Excluding the jumps to get to the dive goggles, the jumps in Dry Top are pretty mindless. Press 1, move forward a little bit while in the air. That goes for every jump. Your 1 key and W key are very close together. I think I speak for everyone when I say we are all confident you can master the two-key combo to get through the handful of jumps in Dry Top.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Living World

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

It’s a nice change to have some vertical level design in an mmo for once.
If you’ve played other mmos, you’ll notice how players usually panic when there’s any sort of movement required may it be during a fight or not.

Gw2 did a nice job at forcing people to overcome this weakness and you’ll get better at it if you keep on trying.

in Living World

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I will agree that the Wind Crystal jumping skill makes my eyes bleed too. But that’s an unrelated issue.

However, I am getting tired of people trying to confuse the devs into watering down their game design. First we get complaints about the statue fight, now people want the devs to get rid of the verticality which give this map so much depth?

I really wish players would stop complaining so much, and simply play the game. It’s not unheard of for a player to ask for help in an online game with social interaction.

If OP needs jumping help so badly, then I’ll hop on my mes and personally port you the whole place. Just PM me ingame. But please, for the love of Abaddon, stop trying to confuse the devs into watering down their game design. Some people actually want Guild Wars 2 to feel engaging.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

no.. NO.. please, stop right there..

“I want to finish this game without having to play it”
That’s what this sounds like, please, no!

Jumping a command in 85% of all games. It’s a thing that is a part of a game. Jumping puzzles utilize the ability to jump, but jumping wasn’t implemented just for jumping puzzles.

in Living World

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I like Jumping Puzzles, they are fun but optional. When I feel like doing my best impression of lemming I head to one and have hours of eye bleeding fun. I do not however want to be forces to jump everywhere.

I would love to see a change to the mechanics in Dry Top. I know in my guild and circle of on-line friends this requirement has put many off playing in the new areas and completing the living world story.

Please make jumping optional once more, not required. <3

(I know many will say, its optional to do the living story, its optional to explore – but when the whole of the new content is based round those kind of mechanics I think you are stretching the term optional beyond reason.)

Thanks for reading. <3

I don’t like the fact that it’s a requirement to get through the area either, but wouldn’t mind it so much if it wasn’t timed. Some of the jumps are so precise if you miss the key ur done for. I have a bad latency problem and the timed jumps are not as enjoyable as much as frustrating and I swear on some them jumps the skill don’t last 15 seconds, more like 10.

The ones I’ve found most frustrating are the 2 skill points in the newest area and the Vista. But there are also couple of jumps in the first area that are hit and miss depending on my latency. I have not even bothered trying for the goggles or finding all the coins.

However, for the rest, I’ve persisted and have gotten better with it and managed to get everything done on all my 9 characters, except the goggles and the coins, although i managed to get a good number of them.

in Living World

Posted by: Sentrasia.7428

Sentrasia.7428

I don’t really post on these forums, but, really? Seriously?

I’ve done all the JP in the game and yeah I will definitely agree that some of them are really annoying or hard. Both even.

However, Dry Top? It’s not even worth calling a JP… you pick up a crystal and hit 1 (or click your mouse if you are so inclined) while pushing forward… How is that hard?

If you’re having trouble getting somewhere/something then ASK in chat. Goodness knows I’ve portaled plenty of people to coins/llamas/chests/JP/goggles/etc simply because they asked or I saw them working on it. Geez a lot of the time if you watch map chat there are mesmers offering portals to various things (and that’s true in a lot of maps).

Jumping is not a new concept. Games without it suck. Games without z-axis/height suck. This isn’t 1999 (Sorry random year there!).

Point being, this isn’t a JP and to compare it to one is ridiculous. Sorry to say. I don’t think this needs “dumbed” down in anyway. In fact I think it’ll loose its charm if it is.

Super Mario Brothers on the Nintendo had more jumping than this…

in Living World

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

For one, make sure you turned off “camera shake” (or whatever it’s called in options).

20 level 80s and counting.

in Living World

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Do you mean the one when you first zone in dry top? Or achievements? I haven’t tried any achievements yet, but the initial jumping puzzle was kind of odd. It didn’t really add anything to the story or to the zone, I didn’t really understand the purpose of having it there. It was weird being forced to do it to get started with the story or even just to start exploring the area.
If it were just for an achievement I wouldn’t mind, since it’s optional. But I couldn’t explore or play the story until finishing that jp.

in Living World

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Can someone PLEASE record a video or post screenshots of this so called “jumping puzzle” they’re having so much trouble with?

in Living World

Posted by: Arzo.8671

Arzo.8671

I don’t mind the jumping aspect, I just despise the time requirement on the crystals. I tend to miss my jumps A LOT, which makes the new zones very frustrating to me. I can get over that, though, because I know it’s just a matter of getting the jump right. But having to start over when the timer runs out just raises that frustration to an even higher level. I know I’ll eventually get it as well (I did when doing Dry Top) but I don’t play the game to be frustrated so LS has become a thing that I’ll do when I get all of the fun stuff done first.

in Living World

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

I like Jumping Puzzles, they are fun but optional.

Not a well known fact: Dry top is optional also.

And yes, I see your part about “content designed around jumping” but I’m choosing to ignore it because it’s wrong.

in Living World

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Jumping is not a new concept. Games without it suck. Games without z-axis/height suck. This isn’t 1999 (Sorry random year there!).

WHAT?

1999 is the year of Super Smash Bros. and Unreal Tournament, System Shock 2 and Legend of Dragoon, Pokemon Gold and Soulcaliber! To use it as an example of some archaic “Stone Age” of sucky gaming is downright offensive. Apologize sir, and we shan’t need to duel.

Do you mean the one when you first zone in dry top? Or achievements? I haven’t tried any achievements yet, but the initial jumping puzzle was kind of odd. It didn’t really add anything to the story or to the zone, I didn’t really understand the purpose of having it there. It was weird being forced to do it to get started with the story or even just to start exploring the area.
If it were just for an achievement I wouldn’t mind, since it’s optional. But I couldn’t explore or play the story until finishing that jp.

I’m betting the idea is just to acquaint new players with the mechanics of the crystals. The Festival was set up similarly, but since it’s not a permanent feature there needs to be some form of brief tutorial in place for new players, and that dash and two simple jumps is it.

I’m with the majority of the posters here. Required jumping is minimal and easy, optional jumping ranges from easy to pretty challenging. It’s good design.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

WHAT?

1999 is the year of Super Smash Bros. and Unreal Tournament, System Shock 2 and Legend of Dragoon, Pokemon Gold and Soulcaliber! To use it as an example of some archaic “Stone Age” of sucky gaming is downright offensive. Apologize sir, and we shan’t need to duel.

I’m betting the idea is just to acquaint new players with the mechanics of the crystals. The Festival was set up similarly, but since it’s not a permanent feature there needs to be some form of brief tutorial in place for new players, and that dash and two simple jumps is it.

I’m with the majority of the posters here. Required jumping is minimal and easy, optional jumping ranges from easy to pretty challenging. It’s good design.

It was also a time in which collision and jumping in MMOs was not yet commonplace because they were still trying to make the games playable for people on dialup connections. Adding a third axis to track and coordinate between client/server adds 33% to network load for simply positioning objects. This isn’t a big deal in UT, with a really small player count (matches were limited to 16 players IIRC) but in an MMO this was a scaling problem that would make the game unplayable on dialup.

It’s the same reason a tech generation earlier that the original doom didn’t have a jump button, as old 386 machines with no dedicated graphics hardware couldn’t reliably render full 3d with textures and lighting in real time in single player. In fact, doom was on the inside a 2d game which only looked somewhat 3d. This also allowed them to invent online deathmatches, because it was possible to put four players on a server due to both limiting the player count and using their efficient method of a 2d backed with a semi-3d display and still have people play it without soul crushing lag (unless you had call waiting and didn’t have a dedicated phone line for your modem, which lost me a lot of deathmatches back in the day)

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Posted by: scaleblue.6349

scaleblue.6349

I understand what he means.

- I feel that the aspect crystals in Dry top hinder the use of dry top kites.

All of the people scattered through out the area, including centaurs needed a way to climb/cross the terrain.
You cant say they have been using aspect crystals that just arrived.

in Living World

HyruleanHyroe.1473

It was also a time in which … back in the day)

?

Is your comment directed at me or sentrasia? Or no one? I’m a bit lost in regard to the relevance. :/

(edited by HyruleanHyroe.1473)

in Living World

HyruleanHyroe.1473

I understand what he means.

- I feel that the aspect crystals in Dry top hinder the use of dry top kites.

All of the people scattered through out the area, including centaurs needed a way to climb/cross the terrain.
You cant say they have been using aspect crystals that just arrived.

The settled areas are all attainable without crystals. They found a way in and made themselves comfortable where they could reach.

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It was also a time in which … back in the day)

?

Is your comment directed at me or sentrasia? Or no one? I’m a bit lost in regard to the relevance. :/

Just a reminder that the games you mentioned aren’t necessarily applicable to the MMO sphere in the given example. MMOs were, by comparison to today’s standards, primitive in terms of physics based mechanics, so a lot of the games you listed aren’t relevant to the conversation, despite being great games.

We did have years of standing in one place smashing hotkeys based combat not because nobody wanted to do more engaging content, but because at the time they couldn’t do the type of combat/motion we see in the more action-based setups that are commonplace in today’s MMOs.

I guess that’s my point… and then I just went on waxing nostaligic I guess. heh.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Jumping puzzles are just not my thing so I understand the OP. Are they per se difficult or just a waste of time (and often require several attempts)? Either way. . . .

I suppose that leads to a greater question of where should loot come from. In my opinion, we have moved far too much to a PvE model of character progression and too far away from PvP and WvW.

If I had to jump puzzle to get to a particular height to rain down arrows or grenades on an unsuspecting enemy in WvW, I probably wouldn’t mind. But when I see a jumping puzzle in PvE it is twice the torture (if that makes sense). Not hard, just something I wish I didn’t have to do.

And on difficulty, in fairness to the OP, what you don’t do often is harder than what you do. A lot of new WvW players get face rolled initially and can’t really roam or 1v1. They may be exceptional at jumping puzzles or PvE boss fights. Works both ways.

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

It’s there at the start to introduce everyone to the 3 aspects, if you hadn’t been to the previous festivals. A lot of the story used those elements, or it’s otherwise important (eg. using the Sun aspect to get across the quicksand river to Prosperity), so they introduce all of them right at the start. I admit, it wasn’t that hard, but my asura didn’t always land on the right pillar after using the Lightning aspect…

in Living World

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Just a reminder that the games you mentioned aren’t necessarily applicable to the MMO sphere in the given example. MMOs were, by comparison to today’s standards, primitive in terms of physics based mechanics, so a lot of the games you listed aren’t relevant to the conversation, despite being great games.

We did have years of standing in one place smashing hotkeys based combat not because nobody wanted to do more engaging content, but because at the time they couldn’t do the type of combat/motion we see in the more action-based setups that are commonplace in today’s MMOs.

I guess that’s my point… and then I just went on waxing nostaligic I guess. heh.

Aaaaaah got it. Well, I didn’t really intend that any of the games I mentioned be used as a comparison for MMOs. The post I had been replying to had just mentioned the year 1999 in a negative light regarding games, so I felt the need to defend an innocent year. I understand the technical limitations. I just don’t appreciate the portrayal of a year in which, to be honest, I was already a fairly seasoned gamer, as some bygone era of yesteryear when the cave-people were too primitive to make a playable game, let alone one that included jumping, haha.

in Living World

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

I have a very hard time with jumping, as well. It isn’t something that comes easily to me, for multiple reasons that have nothing to do with how the jumping mechanic works.

It just means that I will often bypass things that require some sort of jump that I fail miserably at (The Vista in LA that requires you to jump on the very edge of a rock and sorta turn while you are doing it as an example.). If after 10 minutes of trying I still haven’t made the jump, then to heck with it.

Normally, it isn’t an issue, either I just live without whatever was up there- vista, diving goggles, llama, skill point, whatever, until I stubborn my way through or find a freindly mesmer to port my pitiful behind.

Right now, though, it is blocking my story progress, because I can not for the life of me get up to the first Taimi tracking point. It is frustrating to have a real world physical limitation interfering with my right fantasy life, grrr.

I know for many people that all jumping is easy-peasy, and they look down upon people who can’t get there as some sort of gaming-deficient looser. And when people snark at you in game about asking for help on something ‘easy’, it doesn’t make getting around your limitations any less frustrating.

Asking that the amount of actual story content that is accessable only through jumping be as minimal as possible is not a crime, or wrong or a reasons to tell someone to “go play another game”. Story content is for everyone, not just people with jumping skills.

in Living World

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

It would not be so bad if the kitten crystals lasted longer, so annoying getting half way up and the puppy thing runs out. IF they made them last longer would be so much better !

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Right now, though, it is blocking my story progress, because I can not for the life of me get up to the first Taimi tracking point. It is frustrating to have a real world physical limitation interfering with my right fantasy life, grrr.

As far as I remember, you don’t need any jumping skills to track Taimi through the desert. Yes, there was one point where I think the game lagged on me a bit, but the path to Taimi is a straight line travelling over flat lands. You don’t have to jump up the cliffs to get to the Challenging Cliffs, but you might have to hop around in that green circle until the game tells you to go to the next checkpoint.

in Living World

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

As far as I remember, you don’t need any jumping skills to track Taimi through the desert…you might have to hop around in that green circle until the game tells you to go to the next checkpoint.

I may have been caught by a bug or something then, because I’ve run through that first green circle a bajillion times, and it wouldn’t send me off to the next checkpoint- so I figured the clue was up by the skill point (that I still haven’t gotten)