Veteran Mordrem Wolf (Leave no Survivors)

in Living World

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

Erm how to beat that wolf? The last mob for the ‘Leave no Survivor’ achievement in the ‘Waypoint Conundrum’ story from the current LS part. Seriously 7k+ hits within a few seconds…how to avoid those? I know it says ‘deadly from the flank’, but he’s moving so fast, you can’t get in a correct direction fast enough. Even when I’m staying with my back next to the wall he hits me deadly. Used all buffs I have and my armor is red now and I can get him to 50% only. What am I missing?

(S/D & D/D Ele lvl 80 full exo and asc weapons/accessory)

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Crowd control?

in Living World

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Did this as a full zerker ele running d/d too…

You can blind him with GoS in earth (sandstorm) and attack.
If you run out of blinds, go to the ledge and jump down, hit while he runs around, then jump up the ledge again when he is close. He will start running around again while you can keep hiting him. You can use a similar tatic around crates or console.

Just use the environment and remember: “NPC’s can’t jump”

in Living World

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

I used Soldier armor instead of my usual Berserker armor, and D/F Fresh Air (with Renewing Stamina). The invulnerability, immobilize and chill helped me quite a bit. If you need more survivability, you can also use Mist Form and Arcana Shield. Also make sure you stay with your front towards the wolf. Use the terrain to your advantage, NPCs cannot jump.

in Living World

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

ok made it in my 8th try…though lucky due to a bug probably. I died once in the fight and jumped while in mist form on those boxes. He tried to attack me, but didn’t hit even once. I could fully revive myself and finished him off with S/D. Thx for the hints!

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

in Living World

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

Didn’t seem difficult to me, but it did have an annoyingly large health pool. Full zerk bomb/nade engi, which admittedly has very good blind access.

Make sure Scruffy is set to defend to help you fight, and a boon strip of some kind might be handy to get rid of the retaliation.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Living World

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

I soloed him as PVT guard with staff/gs , dps him and run around for passive heal and over and over .

in Living World

Posted by: Ace.3816

Ace.3816

Get on top of the barrels, he wont be able to hit you.

in Living World

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

To have a easier time a lot of people ignore scruffy and say he’s useless but neglect the fact he gives long durations of Protection, so set him to defend mode. Aside from that just play well and keep a eye on your health for when it howls. The retaliation hurts after a few moments of attack.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Living World

Posted by: Zetsaika.1608

Zetsaika.1608

If you want to cheese: Go to a ledge near the water where you fight Earth Elementals a little south from the Veteran Assassin. It will follow you, sou you go down to the water. He will need to go back to get to the water to reach you. When he does, jump on the ledge, it will need to go back and up the rocks to reach you. Rinse and repeat.

in Living World

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

In my experience I was able to turn Scruffy onto Defensive before clicking the chest over where it spawns and was able to snipe it from the cliff without it ever aggroing me since Scruffy seems to be amazing at attracting aggro.

Of course this is not very good with D/D. But Earth Ele always saves some time too if you need another tank while you heal and get refocused on the fight. And Fire Ele powder if needed for more dps.

Them wolves are evil as melee though. I learned my lesson early on in LS to not run just melee weapons on those guys.

in Living World

Posted by: CornGrenade.4805

CornGrenade.4805

The ridiculous damage of the wolf just needs to go. For some reason they get this idea that pumping up the damage so high that you have to use terrain exploits or reconsider your entire build for just one fight is a good idea, or creates compelling gameplay. It does not, and this is why I just get frustrated with GW2 every time I log in after not logging in for months.

in Living World

Lucentfir.7430

The ridiculous damage of the wolf just needs to go. For some reason they get this idea that pumping up the damage so high that you have to use terrain exploits or reconsider your entire build for just one fight is a good idea, or creates compelling gameplay. It does not, and this is why I just get frustrated with GW2 every time I log in after not logging in for months.

No there needs to be more mobs like this. So it isn’t just brain dead auto attack and faceroll. All the mordem mobs are very well designed in the challenging aspect, well a big improvement on what we usually get.

in Living World

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

Don’t think the big damage has to go, but it be nice if the recharge on it could be a bit more agreeable with a general average build. Large hits do give this thing an actual feeling of thread… Same with his large health pool… the thing that makes it so hard is that the recharge on his big skills seems to be 3 sec. So after you use your 2 evades, blow your heal then a 3rd evade, then all there is left to run around like a headless chicken ‘praying’ you wont be hit by this big thing he just keeps throwing out…

Though, what I found most annoying is him being so ‘in my face’ where mostly due to ‘non-blocking’ in the game, I could not even see where I was. He is big and blocking my view of my character, not seeing when I am being hit, what hits big etc… this in your face experience was all but enjoying…

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

in Living World

Posted by: Raolin Soulherder.3195

Raolin Soulherder.3195

Don’t think the big damage has to go, but it be nice if the recharge on it could be a bit more agreeable with a general average build. Large hits do give this thing an actual feeling of thread… Same with his large health pool… the thing that makes it so hard is that the recharge on his big skills seems to be 3 sec. So after you use your 2 evades, blow your heal then a 3rd evade, then all there is left to run around like a headless chicken ‘praying’ you wont be hit by this big thing he just keeps throwing out…

Though, what I found most annoying is him being so ‘in my face’ where mostly due to ‘non-blocking’ in the game, I could not even see where I was. He is big and blocking my view of my character, not seeing when I am being hit, what hits big etc… this in your face experience was all but enjoying…

totally agree. the recharge is stupid-low. burn through every evade & snare you got & it still lunges a second later. still does a hefty bit of damage even if he hits you from the front. got him down to 20% before I died, but he just resets when you respawn. not gonna waste my time w/ it.

in Living World

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

use swiftness ? this mob is well designed actually these new trasher mobs are well designed we are already sick of all enemies (take melee weapon run toward it keep hitng for 10 sec to melt , run forward)

in Living World

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

and if he is just like any other trashmob … wheres the challenge then

dude wtf this is an EXTRA ACHIEVEMENT
1) its extra you dont have to do it
2) please look up what achievement means

how would this be an achievement if it was so easy

how can you even ask for this to be nerfed? seriously
if you just want everything easy and free then go play a game that can have cheats
if you only have fun if you have no challenge then you shouldnt play games that dont have cheats…

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

in Living World

Arghore.8340

@Orangensaft & @Voltcieage, it is something you run into if you open that box, even if you are NOT going for the achievement. I basically opened the box out of interest, well I wish I hadn’t. But surely I am not going to restart this instance just because some foe is there.

And no, I do not think this is a well designed foe, at least not when it’s in the normal story. For an achievement sure, even though I found the whole disappearing of my character in the thing not in the slightest bit enjoyable.

And on ‘trasher mobs’, if you mean those vines, then yes, I can’t agree more, they need at least an HP buff by about 30% and even more as they scale up.

When you mean those Champs, I also do not agree, they are very 1 dimensional. One has a clear ‘stay out of reach’ to defeat. The other a ‘stay in range to defeat’ mechanism. While ‘soft spots’/‘weaknesses’ are great, they become rather silly if they are a complete 1 dimensional lack. I would have personally put a ‘grasping vine’ skill on the biped, where it can pull PC(s) to it, on a longer cool down. And for that flower thing, it needed an evade skill (basically a monster version of ‘Roll for Initiative’) or a PBAoE-knockback (perhaps linked to a ‘invulnerable’ buff, as the knockback could come from destructible vines) also on a longer cool-down. And with longer I mean 35+sec. And that monster skill that creates those spines, they should have been destructible so that you can actually save people from them. That would have made them a lot more interesting, as opposed to the 1 dimensional solution creatures they are now.

The wolf, for me was just to annoyingly ‘in your face’ with a ridiculous high damage skill on a very short cool down. While maybe interesting for a one time achievement hardly agreeable to put into a story step quest where everybody of all skill level may have to deal with it…

(edited by Arghore.8340)

in Living World

Posted by: Snijp.8716

Snijp.8716

Get on top of the barrels, he wont be able to hit you.

Thanks for the tip man, this actually worked for me!

in Living World

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

@Orangensaft & @Voltcieage, it is something you run into if you open that box, even if you are NOT going for the achievement. I basically opened the box out of interest, well I wish I hadn’t. But surely I am not going to restart this instance just because some foe is there.

You were given the tools to avoid the foe but decided to do something dangerous “out of interest”. The only reason I can see for you being upset is if you want to play a game that has no consequences for reckless behaviour.

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Dodge backwards usually keeps him in front of you.

This guy was much easier than the statue fight at the end of part 3.

in Living World

Arghore.8340

@Cormac, yeah sorry, I’m not going to go for that one…

Yeah I can only do that 2.5x and that’s on a ranger, and tbh. it doesn’t help much, because he is so fast and has that jump that does that high damage … Also, that double Retaliation makes him dang hard to deal with as well, hadn’t even mentioned that…

Well see, there I do not agree, or at least not from my experience. I play a ranger with Axe/Axe & Warhorn + traps. So I basically stood somewhere in the middle, put traps down for that Mender, and just watched any red circles, when the mender was down I simply turned around and hit the statue. It was done and over with one down, which was basically when some of the AoE and one of these orbs hit me consecutively in one big hit… I was back up b4 I knew it though as some spirit died…

So clearly some foes are harder for certain builds and play styles, I think that is all good, but the thing remains is that this wolf has some really annoying features, and simply isn’t fun. I will say that it is great for a challenge, but it just should not be in there (in this fashion) in the story instance, as you force a lot of players to restart the instance just because they happen to open a box with a slightly OP creature esp. when compared to all other creatures in the whole instance…

in Living World

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

@Cormac, yeah sorry, I’m not going to go for that one…

Yeah I can only do that 2.5x and that’s on a ranger, and tbh. it doesn’t help much, because he is so fast and has that jump that does that high damage … Also, that double Retaliation makes him dang hard to deal with as well, hadn’t even mentioned that…

Well see, there I do not agree, or at least not from my experience. I play a ranger with Axe/Axe & Warhorn + traps. So I basically stood somewhere in the middle, put traps down for that Mender, and just watched any red circles, when the mender was down I simply turned around and hit the statue. It was done and over with one down, which was basically when some of the AoE and one of these orbs hit me consecutively in one big hit… I was back up b4 I knew it though as some spirit died…

So clearly some foes are harder for certain builds and play styles, I think that is all good, but the thing remains is that this wolf has some really annoying features, and simply isn’t fun. I will say that it is great for a challenge, but it just should not be in there (in this fashion) in the story instance, as you force a lot of players to restart the instance just because they happen to open a box with a slightly OP creature esp. when compared to all other creatures in the whole instance…

I dont know how to help you , i killed it at first try with my guardian and there is no tactic dps it , keep the distance heal and dps it again i lost my health maybe once to 20% but it was just my mistake becasue i was dpsing him too long

in Living World

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

Hit, dodge, repeat. If you take a big attack, heal. Timely use of blinds and aegis.

It’s not a simple fight, but it’s definitely doable.

For those that can’t or don’t want to fight it normally, just send Scruffy to fight it, camp on the crates and range it. You might take a tiny hit occasionally, which then you can heal.

in Living World

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

No there needs to be more mobs like this. So it isn’t just brain dead auto attack and faceroll. All the mordem mobs are very well designed in the challenging aspect, well a big improvement on what we usually get.

there needs to be more mobs with extremely high health pools and double perma retaliation, with a higher than normal defense that does a lot of damage.
what in the living hell are you on? the only wolves that should ever be created are regular wolves that don’t upscale.
you remember the champion karka with the 785 retal damage? try fighting one that has 785 retal permanently stuck to him then another that constantly gets reapplied and tell me how fun that is.

the only mob that has a worse design than the vet+ wolves are the thresher maws that spit torment everywhere and are virtually immune to damage while their attacking which takes them far away from you so you can’t hit them unless you’re full ranged.
CCing them works unless it’s the champ version then good luck with that.

in Living World

Arghore.8340

I dont know how to help you , i killed it at first try with my guardian and there is no tactic dps it , keep the distance heal and dps it again i lost my health maybe once to 20% but it was just my mistake becasue i was dpsing him too long

I don’t need help ^^ … I died 2x and got him on the 3rd try by continuously running around, not attacking it when it had double Retaliation, and trying to dodge as many of his jumps as possible. I may have also used a ‘Sylvari healing turret’, and ‘Healing Seed’ to provide some additional healing. As well as using my pets as much as I could…

That I managed to kill it has nothing to do with the criticism I give regarding this creature. It’s just to strong to belong in a story instance where all people of all skill levels pass through, that, after opening said box, if only out of curiosity might be forced to restart the whole instance just because this thing is designed to be to strong for a story instance. And it’s size and skill set made the character disappear in it way to often, which was highly annoying. If you want to help me with that, than you could agree with me… but seeing experiences are highly personal, it is hard to see beyond one’s own. Now I happen to have a friend that I hope will not open that box, because they can not finish that thing, their experience of it will be even more horrid than mine…

So again, the creature does not belong in the story instance at that strength (which is my major point). Then it has some annoying ‘clipping’ with character effects that are highly annoying for gameplay (which is my second point). Besides the clipping I find it fairly ok for a challenge, though I will refer back to ‘So again…’ just above here, in relation to it being ‘a challenge’.

in Living World

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

The fact that I had to jump on the barrels to do this part was rather underwhelming. Had I not done that, I’d never have finished this on my MM necromancer. I’ll fully admit I’m not the world’s best player (far from it actually… I label myself as a “bad.”) However, this wolf was rather ridiculous, and I hope I don’t see anything like him again, especially in a solo instance.

in Living World

Lucentfir.7430

there needs to be more mobs with extremely high health pools and double perma retaliation, with a higher than normal defense that does a lot of damage.
what in the living hell are you on? the only wolves that should ever be created are regular wolves that don’t upscale.
you remember the champion karka with the 785 retal damage? try fighting one that has 785 retal permanently stuck to him then another that constantly gets reapplied and tell me how fun that is.

the only mob that has a worse design than the vet+ wolves are the thresher maws that spit torment everywhere and are virtually immune to damage while their attacking which takes them far away from you so you can’t hit them unless you’re full ranged.
CCing them works unless it’s the champ version then good luck with that.

This one doesn’t have perma retaliation like a karka does. there’s a clear tell (howl) when it gets its retaliation. Depending on the class you play a single boon strip will rid of retaliation. It’s a veteran after all so it’s going to have more health then the normal Mordem wolves. Also lol I have a thief and if the wolf did not have retaliation I could just D/P, BP for perma-blind and AA it to death.

Thrashers are surprising at first but after your first few encounters they’re pretty easy to manage. Thrasher roots itself into the ground melee time. It’s spinning around and leaving a trail of acid(Torment)? Range it and hit it from behind, or what I love to do with my necro is stand in it til it has a high stack and transfer. Red pool which is obviously life steal? Don’t stand in it> Also to enlighten you when it’s spinning make sure you’re attacking in the direction where it’s going because it’s not invulnerable at the back. Fact is all these mordem mobs are well designed with a challenging aspect something you can’t just face roll and move on like normal mobs you’ve got to use your noggin and watch what you do.

785 Retal damage? Do you think it’s because it’s scaled with the number of players and it’s a champion maybe? I’ve seen a warrior on youtube solo the champion karka in the hive where you get the orichalcum ore.

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in Living World

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

This is a well-designed enemy and the game needs more of them. Faceroll sucks in every part of a game, because you just press 1 and win. This wolf might make you change your utilities, weapons and traits, but it’s completely doable, that’s what we need.
I personally face-tanked it with no problems on my warrior with zerker gear but being aware of everything he could do just because i’ve seen them out in the wild.

Things to have in mind:
- 2 Evades, use them when you need, not randomly.
- POSITIONAL AWARENESS. This is most of the time the biggest problem of the gw2 population, they don’t understand the importance of being in the perfect place and moving 1 meter around the enemy facing it if he moves 1 meter as well.
- Read enemy skills under his health (massive damage if he hits from the back or the sides) and just kittening face him.
- Check conditions and buffs. You got retaliation? don’t attack if you are low of health or cure that.
- CC is mandatory. Someone said that you only have 2 evades… that’s not true for any proffesion, as examples:
— Elementals: 2 evades, mistform, arcane shield, teleport = 5.
— Guardians: 2 evades, F3 Aegis, retreat, GS3 Blindness, renewed focus, F3 = 7.
— Necromancers: F1 skill 3 to fear, staff 5 to fear, dagger 3 or 4 to blind, well of darkness to perma-blind… = more than 10 with the perma-blind.
— Warrior: Bow 5 to immobilize, GS4 to cripple, stomp to send him away, fear me to do that as well, bow 4 to blind, endure pain, defiant stance, GS3 whirlwind, 2 evades: 10

Ok, i only play a warrior and i got a “slight” knowledge of other proffesions, but for god sake, you got A LOT of skills to control a battlefield than just DPS skills. Learn how to play your class properly.

There is 2 kind of players with “The challenge of GW2” meta.
- The ones that go full damage: kill something before it kills you
- The ones that ignore the damage they do but got a battlefield controlled so they never die even if it takes 20 minutes to kill an enemy.

This wolf and almost everything in the game can die with those 2 ways to play. It seems you neither do nuke dps or know how to use your character to control the battlefield (and not let the battlefield controls you). I suggest you to join Arah explorable Path 3 Solo and practice in the Elite Risen Mages near the entrance. Solo them getting 0 damage by just watching their animations and using blinds, aegis, blocks, dodges and everything availible to never ever get even 1 damage point. If you can success on the mages, then try the Hunters, Elementalists or other Elite enemies. Maybe you learn something.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en espaƱol / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)

in Living World

Posted by: Andiela.3759

Andiela.3759

Stay in meele range, worked for my berseker mesmer.

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Greatsword ranger. Block or dodge when he flanks, then thump him really hard. Keep him in front of you.

Retaliation doesn’t mean that much when you use a slow weapon, it’s the fast weapons that get you killed.

Actually, it’s not unlike fighting a thief in WvW, only without the stealth.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yeah. Against retaliation, slow but hard-hitting weapons like Hammer, or light damage, condi-based weapons shine.

And of course, being a Veteran, CC the sap out of that sucker.

in Living World

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Use lightning hammer and perma blind it?

in Living World

Posted by: priorwt.6287

priorwt.6287

I stood atop the box pile and took him down while eating a pizza. You had good instincts.

budakaii/buda
Happiness never decreases by being shared.