What is the point of Living Story NPCs?

in Living World

Posted by: Frebstyx.7058

Frebstyx.7058

I’m getting tired of starting living story modes and getting immediately agroed by hard hitting mobs and constantly getting killed only to be revived by NPCs who are at full health and do no damage at all. What is the point of having them there? They provide no backup no damage and absolutely no help.

Where is the “hey my friend and team member is getting absolutely wailed on and is near death” I should really help them out AI. Not the “crap they’re dead” lets revive them and go back to taunting and BS comabt talk. OHH crap theyre down again lets revive them again and do the same thing AI like we have now?

I’ve reached the end of my patience with this type of gameplay, I don’t enjoy dying revive, take a bit more health of mob die revive repeat.

Why do you need to include veterans that can knockdown through evades and one that has a huge chanelling spell that hits hard at the same time with mobs that aoe? and then make it so your “friends” are absolutely useless in the fight?

I want to continue this story but if the rest of this instances are the same as the first part I’m just going to have to jump off and not bother anymore.

in Living World

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

craft ascended gear, don’t be an elementalist..  problem solved

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in Living World

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I’m tired of always fighting on a needles edge size area with AOE that takes almost all the room up. kitten , give us something worth dodging to instead of, hey dodge here it has another red circle waiting for you.

Early fight with the Asuran trio was AOE/HP’s Christmas, I pretty much gave up after that. Expansions worth lol, right.

Boring amounts of HP and blanket the area with aoe circles, can I get a job at Anet now I realise how it’s done?

(edited by Paul.4081)

in Living World

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

Emm, Kasmeer spawning a tons of illusions to distract enemies and Marjory spawning a tons of minions.
Assassins blinds you, evades attacks and hide themselves from time to time, but they are squishy
Golemancer are casting hard AoE, but easy to interrupt and they are squishy
Golems are stationary, just keep distance
Wolves attacks are weak if they are in front of you
Husks are super-vulnerable to condition damage
Thrasher are vulnerable if you attack them from behind

Modremoth minions are condition-damage based, they will torment you very heavily, you bring condition-cleanse or simply die.

If you are too squishy it does not mean that monsters are overpowered, it simply means that you should swap your gear to knight, if you can’t keep the pace of berserker gear.

Change your stats and skills to more defensive.

Use food, potions and sharpening stones

Just make somewhat that looks like an effort to proceed.

(edited by Shirogatsu.3150)

in Living World

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

To OP: in case you have not noticed this yet.

Anet is trying to damper the over-dominance of berserker gear in PvE and confine it to optimized dungeon speed clear.

Why was berserker the “only stat set worth taking” in PvE ? ’Cause mobs had few highly telegraphed attacks and were hp bags that did not move a lot. So you just LoS them in a corner and beat the crap outta them before they had the time to move. Problem is, this taught you VERY BAD GAMEPLAY HABITS.

Now what do I see? I see pesky inquest that spams cc on you and move all over the place. I can’t Los them either.
What do I do ? I adapted : now I take more condition removal and I switched from berserker to knight or celestial depending on the toon.
You know what ? It works and I do more damage because I spend less time trying to survive and more time attacking stuff.

Don’t expect the dev to stand around eating popcorn while the PvE meta falls in pieces. They are taking steps to (hopefully) correct it :
What do you mean correct? -> berserker gear was intended for the top 1% (not the top 99%) of players who can dodge everything and for warriors who are still resilient with this type of stats. The rest of us can pick up mixed gear (knight, valk, celestial) to be able to resist incoming damage and ditch it back. Also, note the increasing number of condition vulnerable ennemies.

About the NPCs : they are here to tank mobs while you hack them in pieces, and provide some water fields as well. That is not much but still better than nothing.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

in Living World

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

snip

yeah, i read the brochure too.. you forgot the unlisted retal on the majority of mordrem

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in Living World

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

snip

yeah, i read the brochure too.. you forgot the unlisted retal on the majority of mordrem

Well, I guess it’s a good thing then that condition ticks don’t trigger retal. At least now I have a valid argument to switch to conditions every now and then (if noone else is hitting the mobs with condis besides me that is… ).

in Living World

Posted by: fantasy.8395

fantasy.8395

I have the same issue I was spending more time running and evading on my warrior then I was fighting, they really have upped the condition spams on the mobs in the living story for season 2.

I am all for challenge but sometimes i wonder, while I can adapt I have to now make a specific build with the right gear just to survive these outrageous spamming of aoe on the ground and conditions, makes me wonder what the developers are aiming for aside from forcing me to go ranged to even kill efficiently.

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I have the same issue I was spending more time running and evading on my warrior then I was fighting, they really have upped the condition spams on the mobs in the living story for season 2.

I am all for challenge but sometimes i wonder, while I can adapt I have to now make a specific build with the right gear just to survive these outrageous spamming of aoe on the ground and conditions, makes me wonder what the developers are aiming for aside from forcing me to go ranged to even kill efficiently.

Ranged always seems to get the greater love. Less risk and greater up-time on damage. That’s why I always carry a rifle.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Ranged always seems to get the greater love. Less risk and greater up-time on damage. That’s why I always carry a rifle.

IMO, as a general ‘rule’ for whatever character you’re playing that has a 2nd weapon set, always keep a long-range weapon on it. You never know when you’re going to need to switch to ranged, so keeping it there usually keeps you golden for whatever is thrown at you. Besides, 2 melee weapon sets is redundant.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

They seem to have the added bonus of preventing you from LoSing mobs. Because they do aggro some mobs, stacking behind something won’t cause the enemies to all stack up on top of you making content take longer.

I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not.

in Living World

Posted by: broin.3856

broin.3856

To OP: in case you have not noticed this yet.

Anet is trying to damper the over-dominance of berserker gear in PvE and confine it to optimized dungeon speed clear.

Why was berserker the “only stat set worth taking” in PvE ? ’Cause mobs had few highly telegraphed attacks and were hp bags that did not move a lot. So you just LoS them in a corner and beat the crap outta them before they had the time to move. Problem is, this taught you VERY BAD GAMEPLAY HABITS.

Now what do I see? I see pesky inquest that spams cc on you and move all over the place. I can’t Los them either.
What do I do ? I adapted : now I take more condition removal and I switched from berserker to knight or celestial depending on the toon.
You know what ? It works and I do more damage because I spend less time trying to survive and more time attacking stuff.

Don’t expect the dev to stand around eating popcorn while the PvE meta falls in pieces. They are taking steps to (hopefully) correct it :
What do you mean correct? -> berserker gear was intended for the top 1% (not the top 99%) of players who can dodge everything and for warriors who are still resilient with this type of stats. The rest of us can pick up mixed gear (knight, valk, celestial) to be able to resist incoming damage and ditch it back. Also, note the increasing number of condition vulnerable ennemies.

About the NPCs : they are here to tank mobs while you hack them in pieces, and provide some water fields as well. That is not much but still better than nothing.

I completely agree with everything you’ve said, I’ve tried facerolling this episode on my zerk thief and failed. After deciding to play a bit more defensive and not switching to my wvw guard, I managed to clean everything(achievements included) after adjusting skills and paying more attention to telegraphed/AOE attacks.

I’d love it if they added some kind of hard mode, or even gambits and make them reward token or two after completing entire episode on that difficulty. That would give alternative to RNG that wouldn’t be simple grind.