What would you call Aurene?

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve seen a lot of people in game and on the forums saying they don’t like the name Aurene and would have picked a different one if they’d had the choice and are frustrated that our character comes up with that name but we don’t get any say in it.

I actually really like the name Aurene but I’m curious: what would you have called her?

For the sake of discussion lets assume the same rules apply as when naming your character. So less than 20 characters (although I doubt anyone is going to count), and nothing offensive or inappropriate.

I’d be tempted to name her after a Pernese dragon, simply because I’m a massive fan of the series and that’s what I think of when I think of both friendly dragons and people naming dragons. (And it’s actually quite similar, in the Pern novels the dragons name just appears in the riders mind when the dragon hatches.)

So I’d probably go for Tazith after the only (canon) blue dragon to be ridden by a woman.

If not that then something following the theme of Glint and Gleam. Maybe Lumen, which is the Latin word for ‘glow’.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

This time, it’s the dragon who chose to be called Aurene, so it’s really something we can decide.

As for personal taste.. I’m fine with it, I don’t really think the name matters that much. Aurene sounds female and ‘light’-oriented so I think it fits the theme. But doesn’t pack as punch as Kralkatorrik and Glint.

Maybe..
Ambraurum? it’s a latin fusion of the world Gold and Immortal

in Living World

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Griaule

I doubt many would get the reference though.

For the record, I found nothing wrong with Aurene. Wasn’t aware there were many objections at all

(edited by Randulf.7614)

in Living World

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

I think it’s a little too cutesy-girly for a dragon but shrugs ( to say nothing of the ham-handed attempt at making it physically cute ). Instead I would have like her to be a he. Just to buck the general trend these days…

in Living World

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Ugly, I definately call it ugly.

in Living World

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I called it Shameless

in Living World

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’d name her: Her August Unmatched Reverence. E na E

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

in Living World

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Steve

Just because the current one is so lame.

SBI

in Living World

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

A sudden chuckle formed in my mouth when I saw her being named “Aurene”. I instantly thought in the Fantasian Auryn necklace given to Bastian to make his wishes reconstruct the world in The Neverending Story.

So a few Fantasian names that could sound great as dragon names:

Fujur
Graograman
Pjornkrachzark
Xayide
Ygramul
Querquobad
Smerg
Yskálnari

Edit to add a comment:
I have to add that I don’t specially dislike Aurene’s name. It is “meh” for me, but not in a bad way.

Its not stupid, raucous, nonsensical or childish like… “Dragon Hunter”.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For what it’s worth, this is the first time I’ve seen anyone saying they have disliked the name. I don’t have a strong opinion, although I don’t prefer any of the options stated in this thread.

This is in contrast to a lot of other names (like the horrid options we got for renaming Destiny’s Edge’s successors).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m not sure where you’re getting all the complaints about the name. I haven’t seen any complaints about it.

Also not sure where the idea that the player character chose the name came from. They specifically say they didn’t choose it, that they just “knew”. Which probably means the dragon named itself and told the player via telepathy, albeit subconsciously.

In any case, Aurene is fine by me. It sounds sufficiently fitting for her lineage (it fits with the shine / light theme) as well as where she was born.

in Living World

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

Dragon Watcher

/15

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Dragon Watcher

/15

you want to call a dragon ‘dragon watcher’?

in Living World

Ardid.7203

“Little Dragon”

Hawks

in Living World

Just a flesh wound.3589

Dragon Watcher

/15

If they did name a dragon Dragon Watcher I’d petition that every living story episode has this line somewhere in it: The Dragon Watchers are watching Dragon Watcher who is watching the Dragon Watchers watching her.

ANet may give it to you.

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

This time, it’s the dragon who chose to be called Aurene, so it’s really something we can decide.

As for personal taste.. I’m fine with it, I don’t really think the name matters that much. Aurene sounds female and ‘light’-oriented so I think it fits the theme. But doesn’t pack as punch as Kralkatorrik and Glint.

Aurene’s name, like Glint’s, doesn’t pack any punch IMO, so I don’t see the problem with the name. :p

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Aurene’s name, like Glint’s, doesn’t pack any punch IMO, so I don’t see the problem with the name. :p

Maybe i just feel it packs more punch simce ive been hearing it since the Prophecies
Hmrrmmm shrugs

in Living World

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

Dragon Watcher

/15

well Dragon Watcher being an uncorrupted dragon is going to help Dragon Watch to keep the watch over the dragons so that only seems logical to me

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in Living World

Ardid.7203

When I was a child, I had a yellow dog. I called him “Yellow Dog”. I thought it was a great name. Because he was yellow. And a dog.
Now I know better: I should have named him “Dog Barker Dog”. Because he was a dog. And barked. At other dogs!

Hawks

in Living World

Posted by: Uvirith.9573

Uvirith.9573

Draco ex ovum, or Plotwistorium

in Living World

Ardid.7203

Draco ex ovum, or Plotwistorium

In that case, McGuffinella!

Hawks

in Living World

Just a flesh wound.3589

How about……Spot!

It’s what I name all my Ranger pets. It’d be a good dragon name too.

ANet may give it to you.

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I wanted to name it Barbara

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Living World

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Dragon McDraggyFace

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Hmm…maybe it’s just my guilds who don’t like the name. I feel like I’ve seen a lot of comments about it being a bad name ever since the story chapter came out.

Considering she probably won’t appear outside of story instances I kind of like the idea of everyone getting to pick their own name.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Shoulda done a poll on it.

But it is ok since every Elder dragon we kill will power up this one I wouldn’t be surprised if she would be the final Dragon and Anet change the name to master dragon xD

in Living World

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m just going to keep calling her Aurene. It’s her name after all.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m just going to keep calling her Aurene. It’s her name after all.

WHAAAT? call someone by their own names? now thats a thing I haven’t heard in a looong time

in Living World

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Little Tootlepeg(gy), Scalesy, Awwwblessit, and other such ridiculous names as and when they pop up.

My RL cat has its official, boring name for veterinary purposes, but it gets called myriad other names dependent on who’s doing the calling and what the fur-faced one itself is doing. She may call herself something else (Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats style), but we’ll never know. Aurene will be no different, and yes, I’m just going to ignore the fact Aurene calls herself Aurene. It never happened. Never.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

in Living World

Posted by: Samuli.7852

Samuli.7852

I was a bit surprised about ‘Aurene’ at first, and for some reason started singing Dolly Parton’s “Jolene” whenever I heard my characters say the name, but I’ve grown to like it a lot.

I was thinking the baby dragon was going to be named like the rest of her family members (Glint/Glaust, Gleam). I really liked the idea of it being called ‘Glimmer’.

in Living World

Ardid.7203

Little Tootlepeg(gy), Scalesy, Awwwblessit, and other such ridiculous names as and when they pop up.

My RL cat has its official, boring name for veterinary purposes, but it gets called myriad other names dependent on who’s doing the calling and what the fur-faced one itself is doing. She may call herself something else (Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats style), but we’ll never know. Aurene will be no different, and yes, I’m just going to ignore the fact Aurene calls herself Aurene. It never happened. Never.

My younger cat is called Presepio (Which is Portuguese for “Nativity Scene”. No, don’t ask). But we rarely call him that. His names change a lot, from “Democracia Monárquica” (Monarchic Democracy) to “Improperio Celestial” (Celestial Profanity), and lately “Pequeño Principe Pelágico” (Little Pelagic Prince).

He’s way more menacing and destructive than Aurene, though, so I don’t think his names could be used in this case.

Hawks

in Living World

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

Glint, Gleam… Glimmer.

Seems more appropriate.

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Glint, Gleam… Glimmer.

Seems more appropriate.

Glammer? (As a hint to glamour)

in Living World

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

Was expecting some name that starts with a G, because Glint’s original name was Glaust, her other baby was called Gleam, but I’m fine with Aurene.

in Living World

Posted by: Rod.6581

Rod.6581

Glint, Gleam… Glimmer.

Seems more appropriate.

Glammer? (As a hint to glamour)

Then maybe Gene ? You know… cos it’s glam…

in Living World

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Puff?

Keanu Reeves?

in Living World

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

I would call it ’ how to train your dragon’ . It looks like one of them from that cartoon. Hope it will get a grow spurt soon and loose its kids cartoony look.

in Living World

Posted by: anninke.7469

anninke.7469

I’m perfectly fine with Aurene. Maybe it’s just because I’m too much of a coward to argue with a dragon, although a freshly hatched and cute-ish looking one. At least that’s how I understood the name scene – the PC does not come up with a name, they’re told by the dragon itself.

in Living World

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I dislike the name.
I dislike the design.
It looks too cartoony and the name fits that look I guess but it’s not what I feel this should have been.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Baby_Dragon

I feel this was the superior design – it’s a small dragon that I can take seriously and actually believe is powerful and worth my allegiance.

I’d call it Aldragar or something. Or Aeseria.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Living World

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Aurene’s name and herself is really cute, I like it and she’s adorable!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

in Living World

Just a flesh wound.3589

When she’s a full grown dragon the size of a building with two rows of big, sharp, pointy teeth and claws like scimitars, I’ll be calling her……. Boss.

ANet may give it to you.

in Living World

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I find the name Aurene a beautiful choice for a baby dragon who is destined to help protecting and saving the world.

Also, she is super cute and whoever wrote she was ugly: For real, dude?

in Living World

Posted by: Rod.6581

Rod.6581

I find the name Aurene a beautiful choice for a baby dragon who is destined to help protecting and saving the world.

She’s supposed to be a baby dragon not a plush toy. So, yes. For some of us she is fugly.

in Living World

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

How about Aurora?

in Living World

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

She’s supposed to be a baby dragon not a plush toy. So, yes. For some of us she is fugly.

Precisely.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Living World

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Well she’s made out of blue crystal so Heisenberg’s Scion.

in Living World

Posted by: Erylian.8405

Erylian.8405

Before she hatched, my money was on “Glisten” but Aurene is fine too.

in Living World

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

A sudden chuckle formed in my mouth when I saw her being named “Aurene”. I instantly thought in the Fantasian Auryn necklace given to Bastian to make his wishes reconstruct the world in The Neverending Story.

Fujur
Graograman
Pjornkrachzark
Xayide
Ygramul
Querquobad
Smerg
Yskálnari

Edit to add a comment:
I have to add that I don’t specially dislike Aurene’s name. It is “meh” for me, but not in a bad way.

If you actually bothered to look into what Dragon Hunter was based on, you would understand. To quote wiki:
The Dragonhunter name was inspired by medieval witch hunters. Guardians consider themselves protectors of the innocent, and the dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Living World

Ardid.7203

Fujur
Graograman
Pjornkrachzark
Xayide
Ygramul
Querquobad
Smerg
Yskálnari

Edit to add a comment:

If you actually bothered to look into what Dragon Hunter was based on, you would understand. To quote wiki:
The Dragonhunter name was inspired by medieval witch hunters. Guardians consider themselves protectors of the innocent, and the dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions.

Hahahaha. You should read all the amazing threads discussing the name that sprouted spontaneously when the DH was announced. There were at least a dozen of counter arguments to that “explanation” that were smart, sensible and hilarious as kitten. Just remembering those days make my eyes cry of laughter.

No matter the “reason” behind the Dragon Hunter name, it is still and will forever be a terrible name for an elite spec in GW2.

“High Concept” OMG, so funny.

Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)