Where Are the Hydras?

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I’ve seen karka in the new video but no hydras. Where have all the hydra gone? Are they extinct like the gargoyles? Does Tyria need a new council to protect the endangered species across the land?

P.S. Psst…Hail Hydra.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Probably wiped out by the karka, which, now more than ever, seem to be an invasive species that can adapt to any environment, no matter how metal.

The table is a fable.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I killed them all when vanquishing the island, sorry!

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Death hopefully…

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes Hydras!

As annoying as they sometimes were with that chained meteor shower (which, now…pffft, walk through it), it would be great to see them again.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

I’d actually like to see a hydra return but as more of a ‘world boss’ for that map instance. (It would be nice to get an actual new world boss)

Jade armors became champion level, colossal and requires several dozen people to kill (or one pact commander and a BACKSTABBING TRAITOROUS-ahem, sylvari thief) so why not do the same with hydras? it’d be fun to fight a tyrannosaurus with a dozen heads the size of a small mountain.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

weren’t the hydras in the Elon deserts? I dont think I ever saw them on the Rings of Fire
EDIT: Ascalon, Rings of Fire, Crystal Desert, and later Fissure of Woe apparantly

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I killed them all when vanquishing the island, sorry!

I did this too, so probably didn’t help.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Since hydra were in many different places I find it hard to believe they went extinct in only 250 years. I would like to see their return. Not only nostalgic, but I assume they would be harder foes to fight. Even if it were a boss encounter like some said above.

There are other creatures from the Ring of Fire Islands I also have not seen in the trailers. Abominations, Phantoms, Fire Drakes, Dryders, Breeze Keepers and Ettins.

Almost all of these creatures, including hydra had included boss creatures.

It would be a shame to ignore all the previous history of the islands by not including these enemies.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

My original post was definitely aiming to draw attention to detail in a silly way. I don’t want to be serious about things I see that I think should be in the game.

I really hope there is a real attention to detail with this stuff. It’s a game and it’s fun, but a lot of us are serious about our fun. We take attention to detail in movies, games, and especially books really seriously. Leaving out all of the enemies that were on the Ring of Fire Islands would be a shame.

I suspect Tyria will live on in this game and future games for quite a while so I would hope attention to the little things like what lives where etc. would trump, “Nah, I don’t want to make assets for gargoyles and hydras and flesh golems and Titans”.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Would be cool if there was a valley with Hydra skeletons. Maybe with an achievement where a hydra ghost spawns. And when you kill it, it walks to a singed skeleton and alligns his death animation with dropping right on it.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Eragon.8234

Eragon.8234

I thought it was possible that I saw a hydra in the video “Ember Bay: Behind the Scenes”.
I could be wrong, but that looked almost like a hydra to me. At 2:38 in the video, and as part of it walked it by one of the devs said “It was fun to bring some creatures that haven’t seen a lot of play in a while.”
If I’m wrong plz tell so, but to me it looked like it COULD be a hydra.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

I thought it was possible that I saw a hydra in the video “Ember Bay: Behind the Scenes”.
I could be wrong, but that looked almost like a hydra to me. At 2:38 in the video, and as part of it walked it by one of the devs said “It was fun to bring some creatures that haven’t seen a lot of play in a while.”
If I’m wrong plz tell so, but to me it looked like it COULD be a hydra.

It was a reptillian butt, could be anything at this point :p

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: shadowfanatik.5160

shadowfanatik.5160

just went back and watched the video again, saw the head shape and im pretty dang sure that was just a stonehead with new colouring. really wanted it to be a hydra

Raak Bloodmaw

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

just went back and watched the video again, saw the head shape and im pretty dang sure that was just a stonehead with new colouring. really wanted it to be a hydra

How about Stonehead Hydra’s?

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Eragon.8234

Eragon.8234

Did you watch the Ember Bay video or the Ember Bay: Behind the Scenes video?

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

Creating new mobs requires a lot of resources, and I have the feeling most of those resources are currently affected to the next expansion.

It’s easier to simply put in an existing mob (karkas…), or to reskin one.

I doubt any hydra or dryder will make it to ring of Fire this time.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Mizukiaki.8590

Mizukiaki.8590

Hydra will more than likely be on the map, unless they were wiped out from the area between the end of GW Prophecies and now.

Great games come and go, but the Awesome games are endless!!
Matron Kaldona Kye, Mesmer GW since launch.
Matron Kaldona Kye, Sylvari Chronomancer GW2 since closed Beta.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Hydra will more than likely be on the map, unless they were wiped out from the area between the end of GW Prophecies and now.

They seem to have been wiped out in Ascalon, along with the gargloyles. Only they at least bothered to mention the gargoyles.
And Ascalon didn’t suffer any giant volcano eruption like the RoF did. It had a cataclysm, but hydras were thriving quite well in Ascalon despite it. But then just went extinct for no real reason at all. If the slow gradual “grassification” of Ascalon was enough to wipe them out, I don’t like their odds of surviving the volcanoes on RoF.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

The eruption is something I was considering could be the justification, however, then you’d expect it to only be repopulated by amphibious creatures. I would consider it a crying shame if we don’t at least see those creatures that GW2 models already exist for (salamander drakes for fire drakes, wind riders, ettins).

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Not only was the population decimated during the Flameseeker Prophecy, the island actually blew up. I say few, if any native species on the island would have survived to this day. I see their being plenty justification for Arena Net changing the islands bestiary.

That said, a single Hydra as a major world boss would be an interesting event.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

I have a feeling they will be there. Hope i’m right. Can’t Judge on a trailer of 45 min or so. I Always made sure to have enough interrupt power in gw 1 to stop those meteor storm Hydras slamming on me :-p Also hope there will be some titans, maybe the magic wall is breached again.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

I have a feeling they will be there. Hope i’m right. Can’t Judge on a trailer of 45 min or so. I Always made sure to have enough interrupt power in gw 1 to stop those meteor storm Hydras slamming on me :-p Also hope there will be some titans, maybe the magic wall is breached again.

Sry but the realm where the Titans were created is now “purified” by Kormir. Everything now created in this Realm will be completely harmelss and incompetent

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

draxynnic.3719

Eh, just because it’s been claimed by Kormir doesn’t mean it’s all perfectly harmless – particularly since it’s possible that she’s not there any more.

That said, the titans were artificially created in what was essentially a titan factory set up in the Foundry of Failed Creations by an ally of Abaddon. While I’d be willing to bet that there are still plenty of pockets of demons in some of the wilder places of the Redeemed Realm, anything that serves as a ‘production facility’ such as the Foundry and the Dreadspawn Maw would have been shut down – particularly the Foundry, since Kormir knows of the Door of Komalie and would put a high priority on making sure that there isn’t anything dangerous behind it.

Even if Kormir has disappeared again, the odds that history will repeat itself so precisely and that there will once again be a titan production facility in the Foundry are unlikely. It’s possible that opening the Door of Komalie would result in something nasty coming through, but this is one case where I’d be disappointed in ArenaNet if history repeated itself so precisely that it’s titans all over again.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

Sry but the realm where the Titans were created is now “purified” by Kormir. Everything now created in this Realm will be completely harmelss and incompetent

Kormir sure takes the fun out of everything :-) thx for this info, all forgot about this in time, or missed it maybe.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

It’s not guaranteed Kormir made her realm completely boring. Grenth claimed his realm far before Kormir did, and Balthazaar even before that, and both of them still had a lot of issues that had to be dealt with. I’ts probably not going to be all goth spires and Margonites, but there’s no guarantee she could destroy or secure the little Titan factory. Or if she did secure it, there’s no guarantee some saboteur wouldn’t come and mess with it.

I’m really doubtful we’ll deal with anything involving god realms in the near future, but all I’m saying is don’t say it’s impossible

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

They seem to have been wiped out in Ascalon, along with the gargloyles. Only they at least bothered to mention the gargoyles.
And Ascalon didn’t suffer any giant volcano eruption like the RoF did. It had a cataclysm, but hydras were thriving quite well in Ascalon despite it. But then just went extinct for no real reason at all. If the slow gradual “grassification” of Ascalon was enough to wipe them out, I don’t like their odds of surviving the volcanoes on RoF.

The fact that Ascalon had Hydra in GW1 always seemed a bit dubious to me. There were no signs of them in Pre-Searing, and then you moved to Post-Searing and … suddenly Hydras. I wonder if they thrive in inhospitable environments and that’s why they “moved in” so to speak. I never really liked that Hydras were in Ascalon because it never seemed to make sense other than “well at least they’re thematically appropriate given the new environment”.

It would have been nice to see some in the modern-day Fire Islands. Perhaps we’ll be surprised. It would be quite funny if they still cast Meteor Shower.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

draxynnic.3719

It’s not guaranteed Kormir made her realm completely boring. Grenth claimed his realm far before Kormir did, and Balthazaar even before that, and both of them still had a lot of issues that had to be dealt with. I’ts probably not going to be all goth spires and Margonites, but there’s no guarantee she could destroy or secure the little Titan factory. Or if she did secure it, there’s no guarantee some saboteur wouldn’t come and mess with it.

I’m really doubtful we’ll deal with anything involving god realms in the near future, but all I’m saying is don’t say it’s impossible

I’d consider that extremely unlikely. The portions of the Redeemed Realm that could potentially be opened into Tyria would be the portions that Kormir would likely put the most effort into securing. The Foundry was also once a Forgotten fortress, so I’d assume that Kormir’s minions would fortify it.

Even if it was to be in the hands of an enemy force, creating titans requires a source of souls to be tormented. There were a lot of those to be had when Abaddon’s forces controlled most of the Realm of Torment and could funnel souls into titan creation, but unless Kormir’s control was to collapse entirely and for an extended period, it’d be unlikely that the hypothetical would-be titan-creator would be able to secure the raw materials.

Like I said, I’d be disappointed in ArenaNet if they had history repeat itself that precisely. That would be going past GW1 nostalgia and going into undoing the things we did do in GW1 just so they can do it again territory.

I’d expect the most dangerous areas in the Redeemed Realm to be Ravenheart Gloom (rumoured to extend into some reality beyond the Mists) and the Domain of Fear (if Arachnia and the other hints of primordial gods are canon).

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Short answer: Don’t forget the island pretty much exploded every volcano at the end of prophecies, killing most indigenous species. Karka ate what was left over when they showed up.

Karka will eat anything, and they’re as smart as people, possibly smarter. Hydra fireballs versus karka shells didn’t end well for the hydras when they were outnumbered like crazy.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

indeed, i severely miss hydras and those huge flesh golems.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

It’s pretty sad none of the original wild beasts we encountered on the islands remain. I get that you’re going to use new creatures in a new game – but it feels odd that NONE of the old ones were left. Not even remains – bones – nothing.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Archeia.8905

Archeia.8905

My guess is they would be further into the Fire Islands chain rather than on the first map

Tarnished Coast – Revenant main

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

In another Volcano?

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Mr Quinn.9815

Mr Quinn.9815

… coming to a Fire Island near you, soon!

this notice was brought to you by a Misguided Misfit

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Seems to be extinct as the Flesh Golems in the same island, and the dinosaurs like Ferothrax and Tyrannuses in their respective regions…

Although we still haven’t ventured to the northern Ring of Fire islands…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Hydras might be interesting to see again.

Dryders however, those can STAY gone. ~shudders~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Where Are the Hydras?

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Hydras can come back once I get a new Capture Signet. I don’t think I can afford 1 platinum at the moment, though…