White Mantle Mesmers!

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Checking the combat numbers of my fights with White Mantle Mesmers in Doric with my engineer. I was reliably critting with my bombs at 1400+ damage yet was getting killed faster by a 400 damage output of the Mesmer with and additional 500 coming from two sources of confusion, that’s right their confusion is doing more damage than the White Mantle Clerics attacks do for both burning and bleed. This is completely ridiculous with almost all my attacks being critical hits I’m losing more life than I’m taking? Had to use both skill elixirs, supply drop, and healing elixir with medi packs and still was getting beaten with ease? Did I mention I had 8 stacks of might and kitten near every boon possible yet the mesmers are completely wiping out my health while I can’t put a dent in one of them and this was two regular 80 level Mesmers! I don’t seem to have any difficulty wiping them out with necros, warriors, and rangers but for some reason guardians, engineers, thieves (non Dardevils), and elementalists can’t put a dent in them.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I’ve never had a problem with them. Dodge the attacks that apply confusion, if you get high stacks of confusion then just stop attacking and wait for the confusion to wear off or cleanse it. But if you continue to attack while you have high stacks of confusion, its on you

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The mobs are designed to be tough, especially on squishies. On the whole, I prefer them to be too difficult rather than too easy.

Aside from that, Ori’s advice is spot on: don’t use skills (other than condi cleanse) while under heavy stacks of confusion.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Their attack that puts red circles all over the place will steal boons. Are you letting them steal like 25 might, quickness, protection and regen or something?

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

OriOri.8724

I used to do that but my Engineer is too squishy in Commander’s gear to compensate for the wait. Turrets will be destroyed and I can’t gain health once it’s gone even with heals the two of them were wiping out 5k of healing in mere seconds. I do try to dodge attacks but their Spacial Surge isn’t easy to dodge for me when I have two to keep track of.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have crunched the numbers on what the White Mantle Mesmer’s health is and it’s a combined 50k or somewhere in that area! 1500 a bomb means 33 bombs to kill not counting the condition damage and the fact that only the basic bomb actually does notable damage. Half a minute to kill one mob that’s a ton of dodges and cleanses that just don’t exist solo. By comparison my Necro was doing about the same core damage but the conditions and minions where literally killing them in seconds and since the conditions kill them in between the switch I only had to actively kill about 1/2 of their health. The only weapon I can reliably fight them with is a rifle and one Cleric guarantees that won’t happen for long. I have tried grenades but I stink at click targeting which is why I only use them under water.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Healix.5819

One stole quickness the other took a single might, they don’t steal the whole stack.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I’ve played both a mesmer and an engineer and I can tell you that me engineer kills enemies faster than my mesmer does. So when my mesmer has no problems with the white mantle mesmers, an engineer should have no problems with them either. You’ve mentioned the bomb kit twice now in this thread, try using a different weapon/kit? I find pistol/pistol is really effective on engineer in open world PvE. Use weapon skill 3 as an on demand blind. The grenade kit has another on demand blind on skill 3 as well. And honestly I don’t have many enemies surviving a round of the grenade kit + pistol 3 and 4 in the first place.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If it were me and it was taking me 15-30 times longer to kill something after a profession swap, I’d first look at my build & footwork/rotation rather than assume there’s something wrong with the game.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Illconceived Was Na.9781

According to the numbers one Spacial Surge is hitting almost 1600 damage with all four ticks. Add to that the confusion damage of 500 for two, and another 1600 damage for the second Spacial Surge and in two base attacks they’ve done almost three times the damage of a critical hit? The damage is just too high, for the output of my engineer. Now there may be better options, so far they’ve eluded me on in game content. My necros so far with all five variations have had no problem with them by comparison. So if I go with how the numbers play out, Necros can wipe them out because I can still use range and the clerics don’t nullify ranged combat.

OriOri.8724

Mesmers have ranged attacks that can’t be reflected. Their images act like pets. So yes my Mesmer has no problem. Engineers is whole different beast so far. I can’t seem to find a build that can handle the mob surges around Nolan’s Homestead. The damage numbers of the White Mantle Mesmers are really high, this is why my Engineer gets cut down by two.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Healix.5819

According to the numbers one Spacial Surge is hitting almost 1600 damage with all four ticks.

It only hits for 1000 (340 ticks) up to 2400 (800 crit ticks), it’s channeled over ~2 seconds and they like to pause so it’s about once every 5 seconds.

As a bomb kit #1 spammer, you’re going to have a 0.5s attack speed, so you’re going to see a much larger effect out of their confusion, which is only 1 stack and lasts ~3 seconds, but applied on their basic attack roughly every 5 seconds. Additionally, since you’re in melee, you’re going to be hit by their illusionary wave, which blinds and applies 3 stacks of confusion for ~4 seconds. By spamming bombs, you’re only killing yourself. Maybe try grenades (snap + instant ground target to make it much friendlier) or the juggernaut flamethrower build.

One stole quickness the other took a single might, they don’t steal the whole stack.

It’ll take an entire stack of a single boon.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Healix.5819

340 for four ticks is definitely higher than 1000, the actual number would be 1360. Spacial Surge does four ticks I have a Mesmer (even in the combat log you’ll see a string of four strikes when they do it. And with your crit numbers, their out putting 3200, but the crit numbers I’ve seen aren’t more than 490 a tick which could reach 1960 damage. The numbers in your combat log show actual damage taken after the armor and defenses. It also shows exactly which ability is doing what damage. Confusion can reach as high a 6 stacks with a few of them, for one yes, but again I’m talking about damage ramping up with two and it seems to affect other White Mantle’s damage. Cleric’s and Mesmer’s damage jumped by 100 after confusion was affecting my toon. This is where I question the effect nowhere in confusion is it supposed to increase damage taken and the combat log has the attack not confusion doing the damage.

So far they’ve rarely taken more than one of the boon and I still had strength.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Healix.5819

Spacial Surge does four ticks I have a Mesmer (even in the combat log you’ll see a string of four strikes when they do it. And with your crit numbers, their out putting 3200, but the crit numbers I’ve seen aren’t more than 490 a tick which could reach 1960 damage.

Spatial Surge is 3 ticks and my numbers were from a glass elementalist.

Below is a sample of a single Mesmer. For context, 35 is the base tick of 1 stack of confusion, 94 is attacking with 1 stack and 378 is attacking with 4 stacks. As a bomber against 2 mesmers, that’s going to be 8 stacks for ~7200 damage over 4 seconds from confusion, for a total of ~10k including the other attacks.

Attachments:

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

Spacial Surge does four ticks I have a Mesmer (even in the combat log you’ll see a string of four strikes when they do it. And with your crit numbers, their out putting 3200, but the crit numbers I’ve seen aren’t more than 490 a tick which could reach 1960 damage.

Spatial Surge is 3 ticks and my numbers were from a glass elementalist.

Below is a sample of a single Mesmer. For context, 35 is the base tick of 1 stack of confusion, 94 is attacking with 1 stack and 378 is attacking with 4 stacks. As a bomber against 2 mesmers, that’s going to be 8 stacks for ~7200 damage over 4 seconds from confusion, for a total of ~10k including the other attacks.

Have you tried to dodge it?

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Healix.5819

Are you talking the ones in Bloodstone Fen or the ones in Doric which is what this post is about? Bomber sounds like Fen since staying in the air in Doric is far less likely given only a limited set of ley lines and not much in the way of updrafts.

Katastroff.1045

Yes, but as I previously mentioned with two or more White Mantle it’s far more difficult to keep track of which attack the Mesmer is doing.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Healix.5819

Are you talking the ones in Bloodstone Fen or the ones in Doric which is what this post is about?

Lake Doric

Bomber sounds like

Bomb kit engineer

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Er… problems with random mobs. I zerker/viper them down in a few seconds, even 1vs4 mobs is no problem. Probably, something is wrong with your gear/playstyle/traits. Also commander rune on engi? Engi has more than 16k base health with medium armor, and you still think that you are too squishy with commander armor?

Oh and also: Don’t forget the Confusion, it really kills you in seconds if you use many skills under confusion with several stacks.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

(edited by ProtoGunner.4953)

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

ProtoGunner.4953

I don’t have commander runes. I have found a working option it’s not perfect but so far in Commander’s gear it’s not terrible. Dropped Scrapper for Inventions and use turrets to add both durability and damage though they don’t last long, so the mine with med kit is what I have to fall back on to keep up the pain. I can now rush groups with a supply drop and pretty much take down the group.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Glad to hear it’s going better for you, Egrimm.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Healix.5819

Sorry wasn’t thinking engineer with bomb kit, honest mistake.

Your numbers are showing three hits per Surge.

On your numbers, though, noticed a couple interesting things. On some of the Spacial Surge is doing 100 more or a 100 less not sure if it’s a trait or scaling? Also noticed there are two crits close together with confusion damage ticking. And on the crits they are 100 damage apart yet both together are 1500 damage and definitely way more than the 180% mentioned on the Wiki on critical hits, they are closer to 230% damage for critical hits. That would explain why why when their critting a lot I die super fast.

White Mantle Mesmers!

in Living World

Healix.5819

On some of the Spacial Surge is doing 100 more or a 100 less not sure if it’s a trait or scaling?

The 211’s were due to a trait reducing damage taken by 40% for ~2s.

That would explain why why when their critting a lot I die super fast.

Enemies since HoT are basically in berserker’s gear, so they have low health, high damage and stronger crits. 150% is the base crit damage.