Who Was Aerin?

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Towan.9508

Towan.9508

Who was Aerin? Many who didn’t take that much opportunity to re-explore the Labyrinthine Cliffs upon the zephyrite’s return might have missed this now notable NPC entirely. He seems to pop up entirely out of the blue from the opening to Season 2.

He actually was quite busy this last living story patch, but let’s flash back to the first time the zephyrites showed up. Aerin was down at Bazaar Docks as an NPC you could speak with. All he had to say was, “These Zephyrite people are truly amazing to have created such a mysterious airship home.” That’s all Arenanet wrote for him at the time.

At their second arrival, Aerin was absolutely -GIDDY- to get aboard and become a fellow zephyrite. Once getting permission to become a member, he proceeds to run absolutely amok on board just losing his mind over how absolutely amazing everything is! So I decided to take screenshots, simply because I thought this chucklehead was adorably hilarious and wanted to save it for posterity. O_O

Little would I have guessed what would happen next and he’d actually become an important plot point. What I find interesting that the hints in Season 2 implies that Aerin was Soundless, yet this doesn’t really seem to be the case when he’s gibbering with himself on board the ship. He’s actively begging for the Pale Tree’s guidance during one dialogue and he even says his journal is for those who do not have access to the Dream. Was he driven mad in the middle of the ride to Maguuma or was he already possessed with terrible plans? Did he try to become Soundless during the trip? You be the judge.

Screenshots of all the dialogue are here:
http://hyacinth-vale.tumblr.com/post/90532935832/spoilers-for-season-2-chapter-1-who-was-aerin

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

And the plot thickens…!

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

[SPOILER AHEAD]

The notes we’ve found in the crash site make me think Aerin became soundless (and used a total makeover kit btw) while INSIDE the ship when it began travelling.

He clearly wasn’t a soundless during the festival. Something changed him along the way.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: CrimeDog.5614

CrimeDog.5614

Oh wow nice I had no idea I didn’t pay enough attention to the NPC’s there apparently. Nice find and thanks for the work on compiling the dialogue. Nice to see lore and story intertwined within small details such as this.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I do remember that NPC now that I look at those screenies. I remember shaking my head after catching a couple of the snippets of him talking to himself. (Line about being strange, it made me chuckle)

I agree, he definitely does not seem to be Soundless before he set off with them. Perhaps Soundlessness was forced upon him simply due to distance from the Pale Tree? It would be interesting to know if there is a range to her ability to influence / communicate with her offspring. Lot of potential theories…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

VodCom.6924

Perhaps Soundlessness was forced upon him simply due to distance from the Pale Tree? It would be interesting to know if there is a range to her ability to influence / communicate with her offspring. Lot of potential theories…

That’s interesting : I am sure that the sanctum got closer to the pale tree at the beginning of the jouney : if you draw a straight line between the cliffs and dry top you get close to the pale tree.

So distance does not seem likely.

I have two theories :
- he got corrupted by something the zephyrites were transporting (“curious reading from the crates”).
- he acted as a normal sylvari during the festival but he was already a soundless during the festival (unlikely explanation but possible). He was faking enthusiasm to infiltrate the sanctum.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

That’s interesting : I am sure that the sanctum got closer to the pale tree at the beginning of the jouney : if you draw a straight line between the cliffs and dry top you get close to the pale tree.

True, and Cliffs isn’t any further away than say.. Orr.

I have two theories :
- he got corrupted by something the zephyrites were transporting (“curious reading from the crates”).
- he acted as a normal sylvari during the festival but he was already a soundless during the festival (unlikely explanation but possible). He was faking enthusiasm to infiltrate the sanctum.

Either of those would definitely be viable options. Too many unknowns though, the curiosity is going to kill me.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I think it merits further investigation. Maybe we should go have another chat with the tree and ask what she knows? I mean, it’s not that out of line for the (functionally former although still technically current) commander of the pact. We’ve done it before.

In fact, how come nobody ever asked the tree about scarlet? Or did we? I don’t seem to recall ever quizzing the tree on that subject.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

very neat! now that you mention it, I do remember seeing him multiple times (I was always up there near him, playing around trying to get as high as possible) I didn’t pay attention to the name though, I guess.

see, I don’t really care for the story, but things like this are what I really enjoy seeing.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Remember, when Ceara views the Eternal Alchemy, the Pale Tree is there and even speaks to her. She is too much a part of Tyria for any distance to affect her and her brood’s link.

Aerin clearly became Soundless at some point, according to his journal. And that same page, coupled with tracking down Master of Peace, suggest he wanted some specific power the old man has. I feel like it’s way too obvious that Aerin isn’t using any tracking abilities to find him: Mordremoth (or a champion?), thanks to Scarlet’s entry to the Eternal Alchemy, can now actively influence sylvari to it’s will.

A bit of a stretch, maybe a Mordremoth-influenced sylvari can properly corrupt a Glint broodling into a champion.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Do you think the quicksand is part of the ley line? I noticed it went into the cliff and continues through the Inquest facility. Possibly Aerin was trying to bring down the ship near the ley line for some reason or it runs towards the Pale Tree which he may have been trying to get to.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

His antics could have been a charade. Don’t you think it was just a little too much? A little forced?

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Towan.9508

Hard to tell to be honest. Some Sylvari are just total goofballs by nature. cough Carys, Sieran cough

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

PopeUrban.2578

His antics could have been a charade. Don’t you think it was just a little too much? A little forced?

Honestly (and it pains me to say this) It’s impossible to tell due to the incosistant quality of dialogue writing, and the fact that we had not met him before to have a basis for comparison (as we did during the “evil traherne” personal story mission where it was possible to intuit such a ruse)

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: stobie.2134

stobie.2134

I have to say, when I saw him in the ship during the festival, I promptly assumed he’d be a villain, so I recognized him right away. However, I don’t get how he’s Silent/Wordless/Soundless, or whatever – what I remember is that he chattered constantly. I wondered if there’s some other menacingly quiet Sylvari out there.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I think it merits further investigation. Maybe we should go have another chat with the tree and ask what she knows? I mean, it’s not that out of line for the (functionally former although still technically current) commander of the pact. We’ve done it before.

In fact, how come nobody ever asked the tree about scarlet? Or did we? I don’t seem to recall ever quizzing the tree on that subject.

In the aftermath of killing Scarlet, you could talk to the Pale Tree about her. The dialog is probably still there.

I haven’t gotten this far with the story. What feels likely to me is that Aerin spent time among the Soundless and studied them, but wasn’t one himself. This would explain his personality, how he was able to resort to Soundless techniques, and highlight his meaning about writing a journal for ‘those without access to the Dream’ as being specifically to Sylvari without access to it.

When you grill the Pale Tree about Aerin, swing by the Soundlesscamp… we’ll probably see a dialog update there first.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

PopeUrban.2578

In the aftermath of killing Scarlet, you could talk to the Pale Tree about her. The dialog is probably still there.

I haven’t gotten this far with the story. What feels likely to me is that Aerin spent time among the Soundless and studied them, but wasn’t one himself. This would explain his personality, how he was able to resort to Soundless techniques, and highlight his meaning about writing a journal for ‘those without access to the Dream’ as being specifically to Sylvari without access to it.

When you grill the Pale Tree about Aerin, swing by the Soundlesscamp… we’ll probably see a dialog update there first.

I’ll have to go check that out. Thanks!

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: lnguy.5127

lnguy.5127

The closer the sylvari are to the Maguuma, the closer they are to Mordremoth (now that he’s awakened)…so his influence is stronger. So Aerin could’ve very much been turned during his trip to the Maguuma.

So looking ahead (if this holds true), sylvari might have a hard time fighting Mordremoth in the future since they could easily be turned once they are near Mordremoth. So we might have to find some “ancient magic artifact” to help combat corruption on sylvari from Mordremoth. Which is similar to how we handled Zhaitan’s corruption using the krait’s artifact so that the dead within the artifact’s range cannot be risen by Zhaitan (during personal story).

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

lnguy.5127

Another idea could be that Mordremoth was trying to influence Aerin and corrupt him, so he wanted to get Mordremoth out of his head. The only possible that he think might work (considering where he is) is getting help from the “powerful magic” from the Master of Peace to try and block out Mordremoth’s influence. His actions could be a result of not wanting to be corrupted by Mordremoth. Which is similar to Scarlet because it seemed like her main goal during Season 1 was trying to get the voice out of her head since it was driving her insane.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

That would mean our Sylvari PCs didn’t tell Jory and Kasmeer THE TRUTH when they examined the documents.

I played through LS2 Episode 1 on Lapis, my Sylvari Engie (Dusk bloom). I noticed that he quickly figured out the clues and explained his findings to the girls. It’s almost as if he is hiding something.

I have yet to play this story on my other Sylvari character. I wonder if Lazuli, my Sylvari ranger (Dawn Bloom), will respond differently.

BTW, I was one of the players who did notice Aerin on the Zephyrite ship as I was collecting crystals. I remember following the guy around and laughing at his antics. GJ on getting all those screenshots!

(edited by kta.6502)

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

PopeUrban.2578

The closer the sylvari are to the Maguuma, the closer they are to Mordremoth (now that he’s awakened)…so his influence is stronger. So Aerin could’ve very much been turned during his trip to the Maguuma.

So looking ahead (if this holds true), sylvari might have a hard time fighting Mordremoth in the future since they could easily be turned once they are near Mordremoth. So we might have to find some “ancient magic artifact” to help combat corruption on sylvari from Mordremoth. Which is similar to how we handled Zhaitan’s corruption using the krait’s artifact so that the dead within the artifact’s range cannot be risen by Zhaitan (during personal story).

It occurs to me: There are no sylvari in the Orphan Warband. (except possibly the player, who is immune to dragon corruption because of plot armor)

I don’t think this is a coincidence. I also recall a certain “secret” regarding caithe that has been mostly overlooked since we last saw her.

I don’t want to be that guy, but the evidence keeps piling for there to be some connection between Mord and the Sylvari. What that connection is there still isn’t enough evidence to say, but it’s clear there exists some sort of relationship.

The “sylvari are dragon minions” theory has some holes, but perhaps we should be asking if the sylvari (including the soundless) were intended as minions and something intervened. Or perhaps they were designed as a weapon against competing interests by followers of Mord during the last rise of the dragons, designed to sprout before the next rise. Or perhaps they zephyrite undestanding of the dragons has things to teach us about them. Could they simply be an aspect of a greater natural force that includes both the sylvari and that dragon? Could they be the first example of the purpose of the dragons in tyria? We now know that dragons don’t simply consume magic, they hold it. Why? Is their role like that of the tides? To prevent the exterior forces of beings like the human gods, the titans, and other such beings from disrupting the natural balance of this plain? Perhaps the sylvari are the first example of not only what happens when dragons consume, but even why they sleep at all, as a natural cycle of destruction and creation to preserve rather than destroy tyria.

One thing is clear. Sylvari are still an as yet unsolved mystery, and that mystery involved the dragon mordremoth. Tyrian history teaches us races of sentient life are not born over night for no reason. This is precisely what the sylvari are. A race of people unleashed on the world at a very specific time. The question is why.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

Recommendation: Every update, have your Sylvari PC go to the Pale Tree to get more info. She doesnt’ give this info to non-Sylvari. You’ll also notices that your salad won’ t give this info to Jory and Kasmeer either. (evil LOL)

During Battle for Lion’s Arch, Sylvari players could go to the Pale Tree and ask her about Scarlet. After Scarlet died, PC Sylvari could go to the Pale Tree and get a response about the situation.

For this update, Sylvari PCs can go to Mama Tree and ask her about the elder dragons.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

[SPOILER AHEAD]

The notes we’ve found in the crash site make me think Aerin became soundless (and used a total makeover kit btw) while INSIDE the ship when it began travelling.

He clearly wasn’t a soundless during the festival. Something changed him along the way.

The injured NPCs in the medic tent in Dry Top actually revealed what happened to Aerin. It seems the Master of Peace tried to put some strange energy into Aerin when they were traveling but the result was Aerin going mad and some kind of strange energy being released from Aerin that the Master of Peace could not control.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Towan.9508

Recommendation: Every update, have your Sylvari PC go to the Pale Tree to get more info. She doesnt’ give this info to non-Sylvari. You’ll also notices that your salad won’ t give this info to Jory and Kasmeer either. (evil LOL)

During Battle for Lion’s Arch, Sylvari players could go to the Pale Tree and ask her about Scarlet. After Scarlet died, PC Sylvari could go to the Pale Tree and get a response about the situation.

For this update, Sylvari PCs can go to Mama Tree and ask her about the elder dragons.

I played the instances with my Sylvari and completely missed all this. What sort of information was held back from Jory and Kasmeer?

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

[SPOILER AHEAD]

The injured NPCs in the medic tent in Dry Top actually revealed what happened to Aerin. It seems the Master of Peace tried to put some strange energy into Aerin when they were traveling but the result was Aerin going mad and some kind of strange energy being released from Aerin that the Master of Peace could not control.

Maybe this is a hint that the Master of Peace is the Man Behind the Man?

Perhaps a spellcaster who like Livia who lived for centuries and has attempted to conquer Tyria more than once? The Man behind Zinn’s Golems in GW1 perhaps?

It would be hillarious if he turned out to be Menzies the Mad!

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

Aerin actions all indicate premeditation. He was a expert master Assassins. It takes decades of training and dedication to become a master of Aerin’s caliber. He has mastered multiple knives and with knives alone by himself he has killed the elite guards of the Peace Master besides that of killing multitudes of other capable Zepherites on his way to get close to the Peace Master. Aerin is also a master of explosives. You learn this by fighting him as the final boss in the finale of the chapter. Aerin either came on board the zepherite air ship with explosive already prepared, or he is such a explosive expert he could improvise with what he found on board. Either way his action indicate planning and forethought. He did it so well that it hinted at a possible organisation is backing him in all of this.

Edit: On the other hand the trail of scraps of written paper from a journal would indicate that it was written by some one who is quite familiar about the Zepherites. The paper trail detailed zepherite history with the dwarven brotherhood, Glint and Glint’s legacy. This would implicate the Peace Master as only he knows about such things and not Aerin. So is it Aerin or the Peace Master who has flipped and gone bad? Or is it a bit of both and the other?

(edited by Avariz.8241)

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Mickey Frogeater.1470

The Master of Piece could easily gain access to the Inquest and arrange for Scarlet to be exposed to Mordremoth’s influence….

She started calling herself Scarlet Briar since she walked out of Omadd’s device yet was showing signs of arguing with another entity….

I suspect she was first corrupted by Mordremoth then mentally assaulted by the Master of Peace into doing what he wants….

Obtaining Tyria….

Whispering into Mordremoth’s minion’s mind tricking her into thinking her plan is her own would be child’s work if you have Chaos Magic training…..

Aerin sought to claim the Master of Peace’s power for himself which implies that the Master of Peace had little time to work Chaos Magic on him….

Jennah was able to use Chaos Magic to fool Kralkatorrik’s Branded so it’s not absurd for the Master of Peace to use Chaos Magic to mentally assault Mordremoth’s minions….

Minions of Elder Dragons to my mind would be easier for Mesmers to influence.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

VodCom.6924

[SPOILER AHEAD]

Do we actually know how the zephyrites master the aspects ? Maybe they are implemented with such energy. Aerin could be an “unforseen consequance” of these rites of initiation.

Or all this is just a giant plot twist where it will be revealed that the master of peace/pieces is a mustache twirling vilain, but that would be extra lame.

I guess, for now we’ll have to focus on what scarlet discovered in the copper mine (ley line to mordy maybe ?)

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Sylaves.8132

Sylaves.8132

It would be hillarious if he turned out to be Menzies the Mad!

Not Menzies… Lazarus the Dire… . And he is coming after Bloodstone… .But what is baby Glint to be used for..? Ampifly BS power and seed baby with it to create powerful and controlable dragon..?

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Mickey Frogeater.1470

If the Master of Peace is the villain what did he do in Cantha?…..

Is it too much to assume that he conquered it while we were fighting Zhaitan and Scarlet Briar?

I think not!

The question will be: Do we kill the Master of Peace in Season 2 or in a Cantha Expansion?

It would be shocking to some if the Master of Peace turns out to be Menzies the Mad….

What is Caithe’s secret that Scarlet knew about?…. Is she allied with the Master of Peace willingly?

Scarlet showed resentment to whatever decided to assail her mind yet wasn’t responsible for Scarlet’s change in personality or change of name(the change in personality happened when she entered Omadd’s Machine indicating that whatever corrupted her initially isn’t what was assailing her mind).

If the Master of Peace assailed Scarlet’s mind and entered into a mutual alliance with Caithe then Tyria is in great danger….

The Master of Peace could use Caithe to reach into Mordremoth through Faolain and control the Elder Dragon through the Dream….

Could he have corrupted other Elder Dragons already?…..

We can’t deny the possibility that there might be Elder Dragons in Cantha and if he’s controlling them then Tyria has multiple threats from one villain….

If he has corrupted Caithe then things will get personal…… Personal enough to make the Master of Peace our Personal Nemesis you might say…..

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

If the Master of Peace is the villain what did he do in Cantha?…..

Is it too much to assume that he conquered it while we were fighting Zhaitan and Scarlet Briar?

I think not!

The question will be: Do we kill the Master of Peace in Season 2 or in a Cantha Expansion?

All of Tyria is revealed.
Blood Legion homelands are sieged and reclaimed from the Sun’s Shadow Legion.
Drakkar is a World Boss that has to be defeated to access a new dungeon.
Lazarus the Dire is hunted down and finally corned on Ring of Fire, flinging players into Largos politics in the Unending Ocean.
Maguuma is revitalized by purifying the second Pale Tree.
Tengu reveal their floating city, while fighting Destroyers underground.

“Why aren’t we in Cantha, TrashNet. You idiots can’t do anything right.”

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

lnguy.5127

If the Master of Peace is so powerful, then he could’ve just destroyed Aerin so easily. What was the point of being chased around by Aerin?

But it would be awesome if the Master of Peace turn out to be Lazarus the Dire. I’ve always loved the Musraat as a villain. This would be an awesome way for him to reemerge and bring vengeance. The musraat, being an ancient race, fought the EDs before. They have the most understanding of the EDs and their nature than any sentient races living at the moment. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that they’ve found ways to utilize the magic within dragons. Also, the bloodstone was used as a “battery” that power the prison gates that locked the Titans away. So this can be a cool way to reintroduce the bloodstone.

Many players feel that lore from GW1 were far more interesting and compelling than GW2’s. We left GW1 with a lot of lore unsolved/unfinished. This can be a good way to close some lose ends

(edited by lnguy.5127)

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Mickey Frogeater.1470

If the Master of Peace is so powerful, then he could’ve just destroyed Aerin so easily. What was the point of being chased around by Aerin?

But it would be awesome if the Master of Peace turn out to be Menzies the Dire. I’ve always loved the Musraat as a villain. This would be an awesome way for him to reemerge and bring vengeance. The musraat, being an ancient race, fought the EDs before. They have the most understanding of the EDs and their nature than any sentient races living at the moment. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that they’ve found ways to utilize the magic within dragons. Also, the bloodstone was used as a “battery” that power the prison gates that locked the Titans away. So this can be a cool way to reintroduce the bloodstone.

Many players feel that lore from GW1 were far more interesting and compelling than GW2’s. We left GW1 with a lot of lore unsolved/unfinished. This can be a good way to close some lose ends

You think a powerful villain would expose his powers publicly!?!

I deem he assaulted Scarlet’s mind(she was less intelligent before her war and clearly getting her ideas from the voice in her head which couldn’t be Mordremoth due to it being an organic Elder Dragon) and that she sought to kill him and conspired with her master Mordremoth(her change in personality and obtaining power over thorny vines immediately upon leaving Omadd’s machine make it clear Mordremoth corrupted her then and there) to kill him.

Mordremoth is awakened and clearly realizes the Master of Peace’s power since he sent Aerin to kill him and claim his power….

We know nothing about the Master of Peace’s pawns and allies yet Caithe is a good candidate…. The Canthan Empire is also a candidate as are Scarlet’s three alliances….

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

Menzies the Dire

Fix this, please.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Mickey Frogeater.1470

We may wind up with a Gambit Pileup before Season 2 is over….

By the way…. How many times do you think the Master of Peace has attempted to control Elder Dragons?

If there are Elder Dragons in Cantha there is a high chance that he had suceeded with them what he’s attempting on Mordremoth…..

Dragon Lilies that look like Dragons….. Dragon Moss that looks like Moss…. Undergrowth that look like Fern Dragons….

Dragon Lilies appear in Shing Jea Island while Dragon Moss and Undergrowth appear in Echovald Forest….

Could there be Elder Dragons under Shing Jea Island and Echovald Forest?….

Are the other Canthan Dragons Elder Dragon minions?…. Turtle Dragons and Saltspray Dragons look fish-like…. Deep Sea Dragon anyone?….

Hopefully only the Dragons in Echovald Forest and Shing Jea Island get enslaved by the Master of Peace since it would be quite upsetting if the Deep Sea Dragon turned out to be one of his minions too…

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

lnguy.5127

Menzies the Dire

Fix this, please.

Hahah, fixed. It was my goal to confuse you

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Mickey Frogeater.1470

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Master of Peace makes off to Cantha with a brainwashed Mordremoth at the end of Season 2.

If so and Cantha’s villain has 3 or 4 Elder Dragons under his control then what part of Cantha will be Mordremoth’s domain?….

Shing Jea Island has been taken by Lilly Dragons and possibly a Lilly Elder Dragon while Echovald has been taken by forest based Dragons and likely serve the Forest Elder Dragon….

The Jade Sea wouldn’t visually fit….

Eh….. Mordremoth will most likely claim Kaineng City or the mountains east of Kaineng and north of the Jade Sea.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

I have to say, when I saw him in the ship during the festival, I promptly assumed he’d be a villain, so I recognized him right away. However, I don’t get how he’s Silent/Wordless/Soundless, or whatever – what I remember is that he chattered constantly. I wondered if there’s some other menacingly quiet Sylvari out there.

I don’t think the Soundless are personally quiet or silent (though they do meditate), more that they try to block out the “noise” of the Dream and the Pale Tree.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

perilisk.1874

I don’t want to be that guy, but the evidence keeps piling for there to be some connection between Mord and the Sylvari. What that connection is there still isn’t enough evidence to say, but it’s clear there exists some sort of relationship.

The “sylvari are dragon minions” theory has some holes, but perhaps we should be asking if the sylvari (including the soundless) were intended as minions and something intervened.

Is it possible that there’s a really simple explanation?

Each Dragon seems to work its power through a corrupted version of some quasi-elemental aspect of reality/magic (usually a pair of aspects, actually): Lava/Stone, Ice/Shadow, Air/Crystals, or (Dead) Flesh/Poison. Some, like Jormag or Kraalkatorik, can even transform other beings or materials into their favored element.

Assuming the vines and such are Mordremoth’s minions, it’s possible that the Dragon’s “element” is vegetation. That the being the case, he would be able to control Sylvari, not because they have some dark secret heritage, but because they’re made of plants. They would no more inherently be his minions than the dead of Orr; just victims of circumstance.

On the other hand, the Sylvari themselves share the “shaping plants” ability, and they inherited that from the Pale Tree which shapes them in turn. So, that does support the minion theory. Given that one of Scarlet’s documents in this episode stressed a link between minds and magic, it could that Mordremoth’s aspects are Plant and Mind.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

perilisk.1874

Do we actually know how the zephyrites master the aspects ?

I don’t know if we know the details, but the basic gist is that they’ve discovered how to use a purified form of Kraalkatorik’s magic (if the crystals and lightning weren’t a giveaway). Glint was K’s champion who managed to get free will, and she founded their order. When she died, they somehow managed to master the magic imbued in her corpse.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Boneheart.3561

I keep seeing theories connect Mordremoth directly to Sylvari. Has anyone suggested that a second Pale Tree (Red Thorn?) is Mordremoth’s champion, and by nature of Pale Trees can force her influence upon sylvari?

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Creepy idea…. I like it!

Now as for the Master of Peace……

Considering how Scarlet’s picture of what she thought was the Eternal Alchemy was infact the Realm of Torment the likelyhood that the Master of Peace is Menzies raises even higher!

The Big Bads of Both GW1 and GW2 are going to clash and chaos will rise!

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Do we actually know how the zephyrites master the aspects ?

I don’t know if we know the details, but the basic gist is that they’ve discovered how to use a purified form of Kraalkatorik’s magic (if the crystals and lightning weren’t a giveaway). Glint was K’s champion who managed to get free will, and she founded their order. When she died, they somehow managed to master the magic imbued in her corpse.

Or they think they have.

Sons of Svanir like to think that they’re in control as well.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

So is it Aerin or the Peace Master who has flipped and gone bad? Or is it a bit of both and the other?

Or Aerin had an accomplice who did the backstabbing while he planned the detonations. Thanks to the battle we know he was an engineer, they don’t use blades or assassinations to get the job done.

Also it’s pretty interesting in itself that a majority of important Sylvari that have been corrupted or did not come from the Pale Tree (such as Malyck) have been engineers.

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Perhaps Soundlessness was forced upon him simply due to distance from the Pale Tree? It would be interesting to know if there is a range to her ability to influence / communicate with her offspring. Lot of potential theories…

I have two theories :

What if the straight line accounts for curvature of Tyria?

Who Was Aerin?

in Living World

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

So is it Aerin or the Peace Master who has flipped and gone bad? Or is it a bit of both and the other?

Also it’s pretty interesting in itself that a majority of important Sylvari that have been corrupted or did not come from the Pale Tree (such as Malyck) have been engineers.

I also believe that at some point the Ree Soesbee commented that engineer was the least common profession for Sylvari.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss