Why change how you get Carapace Armor Pieces!

in Living World

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Furthermore, the new Labyrinth actually helps speed up acquisition of Bandit Crests. You get more Crests each time the Labyrinth tiers go up, which means an additional ~50 Crests if you’re in a populated map with lots of people grabbing the Lesser Pods. This increases the average number of Crests you can earn within a single round of SW.

It may seem that way, but that’s not exactly true. Remember, that labyrinth farming happens in added time compared to previous round. Before, there was a 5 minute cooldown between Breach end and beginning of new round, now there’s a 16 minutes cooldown/labyrinth farming. In 10 minutes of SW events you should be able to earn more than 50 crests you get from labyrinth rewards.

(and the chance of getting the gloves chest from Pods – both lesser and greater – is so low, you really should not depend on it. Most people will never get it that way)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Living World

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

the thing is, everything’s too easy. everyone can have this armor pieces with a little time efford. you actually don’t have to be a good player, that’s why they come up with all this grind BS, so the game always has something left to do for you.

imo anet should turn the LS into a 5 member party instance with some true difficulty, only doable with teamwork or crazy solo-players.

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

in Living World

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

Anet should consider changing the name of the game to Grind Wars 2. To get armor pieces, one needs to be extremely lucky or grind to hell. You know how much mindless grinding it takes to collect that 1000 bandit crests???

-S o S-

in Living World

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

I have a suspicion that ANet is once again tying the LS into the different game modes to encourage players to return and populate different parts of the game. I fully expect some of the subsequent armor pieces to require participation in WvW (Badges of Honor. I suspect that this will be the Chest/Leggings piece, and it will require a big sink of Badges), Fractals (Fractal Relics or Pristine Relics) and possibly dungeons/JP’s.

All that said, I still would have preferred if alts could have gotten the Gloves per run. :P I can now understand why it was done, but I’d still have liked more options.

It is OK for me (I am not a PvP player) that they added a “Silverwastes PvP track” for this. They should also add a “WvW-Track/Badges” way to obtain it. And a way to get it with fractal relicts.

Then players with different play-style could get it as long as they play the game and “achieve” something. “play as you want”. And then players would not feel forced to play or grind variants of the game they do not like.

For example: I still do not like it, that you have do to fractals for getting the Mawdrey backpice. I tried one pug group and was in two guilds just for doing the fractals and it seems I did not find the right people to do this, so I gave up on this.

Greetings.

in Living World

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Quick question to the devs. Why is an MMO that was sold to us on the promise of no grind, so focused on grind?

I don’t get it. Just get rid of it. Get rid of all the RNG nonsense, and endless grinding for bandit badges and 250 rare materials just to craft a fancy looking weapon. Get rid of it, and focus on fun. Just make it fun. No grind.

It’s not hard, just do it. Make it happen.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Living World

Posted by: archmag.1259

archmag.1259

I think they tried to solve three things with this change:
1. Find some way to spend extra crests
2. Increase reward for repeating LS on multiple characters in long term
3. Experiment with different ways of gaining reward

1st thing is obvious – after you bought 3 recipes and tonic you don’t have anything to spend those crests on. Keys and extractor are self-sufficient, you get about the same amount of crests after you use them as you spend on them.
2nd thing – if you complete LS chapter on 4th character (remember, I said about longterm solution) you only get rare shoulder that has a value of about 40 silver according to TP, and you can’t salvage it right away, so it becomes kind of useless thing. But if you get a key – it has a higher value, about 3-5 gold (counted by dividing price of item that you can get for 1 ticket by amount of keys you need to get one ~70/20). So new reward will be better in long term.
3rd – remember that Anet always tries to experiment and try different things. So they implement this option, get resulting statistics, analyse them and decide which way is better or maybe even produce some other way (choice of Armor box/key at the end of the chapter). Some good statistics would be – how many times per player LS chapter was completed in a week, that will show how popular it is. Or max amount of chapter completions per player. Or total chapter completions.

in Living World

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Except I would never have been to the event in the first place if I stuck to just one fort so whether the others succeeded or not is irrelevant.

When did I stay I stuck to one fort? I said I stick around to finish events, unlike you. I do so, so that I don’t feel like I’m leeching and can actually help ensure the events complete. Because the few times I did try the run around and leech tactic, I was noticing stuff was failing. Caravans weren’t making it, forts were being lost.. mainly due to people just running around and trying to tag all the things!

The NPC was always fine when I left.

And after? Oh, you wouldn’t know. :P

The slingers are the ones that you want to kill right away as they do a lot of damage just look at what they do to walls and players with their attacks. A group is far more likely to succeed if they kill them than if they don’t. The majority of the time that I went to kill them, it was just me.

Thanks but I already realise this. I kill stuff outside, stay around to help finish the event and move in to help inside if mobs are assailing the NPC. Again, I stay around and help all around the fort, then move where I please.

(edited by Lothirieth.3408)

in Living World

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

They want people to stay in their new map. Instead of properly balancing the rewards vs time/effort invested to complete the defense events and breach, they decided the better option was to make us grind crests for the additional gloves.

I liked that my alts, who had been doing the LS all along, were getting rewarded for it. An RNG key hardly feels as rewarding as additional gloves that save me hours of play that I don’t really like.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Quick question to the devs. Why is an MMO that was sold to us on the promise of no grind, so focused on grind?

I don’t get it. Just get rid of it. Get rid of all the RNG nonsense, and endless grinding for bandit badges and 250 rare materials just to craft a fancy looking weapon. Get rid of it, and focus on fun. Just make it fun. No grind.

It’s not hard, just do it. Make it happen.

So basically make people do something once and then be done with it?
People are already complaining about lack of stuff to do, if you remove the whole reason to do stuff more than a single time there will be even less stuff to do, seeing as there would be no point whatsoever to ever repeat anything.

As for it being sold with “promise of no grind” that is simply a case of people not actually paying attention or reading what they actually said.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

So basically make people do something once and then be done with it?

Not what I said. I said no grind.

People are already complaining about lack of stuff to do, if you remove the whole reason to do stuff more than a single time there will be even less stuff to do, seeing as there would be no point whatsoever to ever repeat anything.

How about just doing things because they are fun?

As for it being sold with “promise of no grind” that is simply a case of people not actually paying attention or reading what they actually said.

I paid attention alright.

I think we all saw the same videos.

Colin Johanson: “When you look at the art in our game, you say ‘Wow, that’s visually stunning. I’ve never seen anything like that before,’ and then when you play the combat in our game, you say ‘Wow, that’s incredible. I’ve never seen anything like that.’ In most games, you go out, and you have really fun tasks, occasionally, that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. ‘I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.’ That’s great. We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun. We want to change the way that people view combat.”

Perhaps YOU’VE actually not been paying attention, or listening to what they actually said.

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

But unless you do it once and then get everything, it will be seen as a grind by some people thus you would suggest that we completely remove the need to do something more than once.

There are people that find grinding for stuff fun. Why not allow them to do that? There is nothing in the game that you NEED that require grinding.

You paid attention to a single video, released years before the game, which was very shortly after clarified.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

But unless you do it once and then get everything, it will be seen as a grind by some people thus you would suggest that we completely remove the need to do something more than once.

Or remove the need to grind 2000 extra bandit badges, when earning 1000 is more than enough. Why do we need 250 globs of ectoplasm and 250 of dozens of other crafting materials, just to make certain items? It seems like a needless grind to require the maximum amount of a material as part of a crafting recipe. Grinding isn’t fun. We’ll do the event if there are nice drops too, and if the gameplay is fun. You don’t need to make us grind for 3000 bandit badges, and unlock the light, medium AND heavy versions of an armor piece, just to unlock the luminescent one.

There are people that find grinding for stuff fun. Why not allow them to do that? There is nothing in the game that you NEED that require grinding.

That is simply not true, and I just gave you an example.

You paid attention to a single video, released years before the game, which was very shortly after clarified.

Really? That’s your defense? I mean seriously. This was the one video that woke everyone up about Guild Wars 2. This was THE video that got everyone excited about Anets intentions. Have these intentions changed? The game does not need grind, this still holds true today. So why do they insist on adding grind?

Scratch that, let me rephrase the question, why are you defending this? Why?

in Living World

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Tbh, the carapace shoulders should be changed aswell, replaying the LS is more of a grind than actually playing silverwastes and having fun.

Some people would prefer to play in Silverwastes, others would prefer to redo the story. I don’t see the harm in having both options available.

Exactly ! Why not both ? Why must we always be forced to do only one path. It’s narrow minded.

Are you Shpongled?

in Living World

Zok.4956

3rd – remember that Anet always tries to experiment and try different things. So they implement this option, get resulting statistics, analyse them and decide which way is better or maybe even produce some other way (choice of Armor box/key at the end of the chapter).

That would be a good solution, that could have been implemented from the start: Give players the choice and let them decide by themselves what they want as a reward.

Greetings.

in Living World

Posted by: Clisna.3041

Clisna.3041

Guys, you just should know if you want to get all Carapace armor skin, you should farm and farm and farm and farm….. 10000 crests (if you are also —--ing bad luck as me)

10k not more, right? Good “Farmwars 2”

in Living World

Zok.4956

There are people that find grinding for stuff fun. Why not allow them to do that?

I think, you are missing one point. It is not about “not-repeating” at all, but it is about that players should have the choice, so that they can repeatedly do the things, that they like and feel rewarded for.

It does not feel like grinding, when someone does something repeatedly that he likes and he is doing it mostly because he likes it.

If people want to farm Silverwastes and get all the armor: Good, let them.
If people want to do some “pvp-track” and get all the armor: Good, let them.
If people want to do some “WvW-track/badges” and get all the armor: Good, let them.
If people want to do the Living-story again and again and get all the armor: Good, let them.

Greetings.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

So if I want to login the game once a week I should also get them just for logging in?
Where to draw the line?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Except I would never have been to the event in the first place if I stuck to just one fort so whether the others succeeded or not is irrelevant.

When did I stay I stuck to one fort? I said I stick around to finish events, unlike you. I do so, so that I don’t feel like I’m leeching and can actually help ensure the events complete. Because the few times I did try the run around and leech tactic, I was noticing stuff was failing. Caravans weren’t making it, forts were being lost.. mainly due to people just running around and trying to tag all the things!

The NPC was always fine when I left.

And after? Oh, you wouldn’t know. :P

The slingers are the ones that you want to kill right away as they do a lot of damage just look at what they do to walls and players with their attacks. A group is far more likely to succeed if they kill them than if they don’t. The majority of the time that I went to kill them, it was just me.

Thanks but I already realise this. I kill stuff outside, stay around to help finish the event and move in to help inside if mobs are assailing the NPC. Again, I stay around and help all around the fort, then move where I please.

There’s always been enough people and an event hasn’t failed yet. It would be a waste to go through the effort to get credit only for the event to fail causing a reduction in rewards.

in Living World

Zok.4956

So if I want to login the game once a week I should also get them just for logging in?

That is a misleading hyperbole and I think you know it.

Greetings.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Greetings.

But where should we draw the line?
Should everything be obtainable by paying gems for it?
Should everything be obtainable by paying gold for it?
Should everything be obtainable by farming champions in Orr?
Should everything be obtainable by doing dungeons?

See?
There are loads of possible things to get the rewards, so where should we draw the line, and who should decide where the line is drawn?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

That still is a hyperbole, and I’m also not interested in hearing it. It is a dishonest argument.

I think a better question is, what is the added fun of having to gather 3000 bandit badges to get a particular armor piece, instead of just gathering a 1000? It already takes quite a while to gather a 1000. Having to gather 3 times that amount, does not make it any more enjoyable. I’d argue it makes it less fun.

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Do you need to get all three pieces from the vendor? I must have missed a bug-fix or something then because I am 100% certain that I got one of them from completing the main story achievement.

It is also fully possible to get the other two from the Greater Nightmare chest in the Labyrinth, so no, you don’t HAVE to gather 3000 (or even 2000) in order to get the piece.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Zok.4956

But where should we draw the line?

If A-Net removes a reward-option (multiple armor pieces for finishing with multiple chars) from one LS episode (5) to another episode (6) without notice: That should not happen and that is where I would draw the line.

Greetings.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Do you need to get all three pieces from the vendor? I must have missed a bug-fix or something then because I am 100% certain that I got one of them from completing the main story achievement.

It is also fully possible to get the other two from the Greater Nightmare chest in the Labyrinth, so no, you don’t HAVE to gather 3000 (or even 2000) in order to get the piece.

It’s also possible to get a precursor as a drop so you don’t have to farm for it. It’s also possible to get an ascended chest as a drop so you don’t need to farm ingredients and level crafting.

The drop rate for the carapace armor chest is very low. The majority of people would have twice the needed chests before they saw one if at all.

in Living World

Posted by: Firedancer.8350

Firedancer.8350

I don’t even have a problem with the 1000 crests per piece.

It’s the additional 1 gold that irks me.

in Living World

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

So there are actually people that are against having the gloves obtainable by doing the LS episode repeatedly on your alts, while also having them at the vendor for 1000 crests + 1g?
If you don’t want to do it one way, you do it the other way; why the hostility? I don’t see how this impacts anyone negatively.

in Living World

Posted by: Firedancer.8350

Firedancer.8350

But that’s just it they are not obtainable both ways.

You get one set from the first character you finish the LS episode on and the rest you have to grind + 1 gold. The option to run with alts is not available for the gloves.