Why lock achievements until you replay?

in Living World

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

At the moment this is a mild inconvenience but I don’t see the point of it and it has the potential get really annoying. It feels like it serves no purpose but to artificially extend content. You already have a whole bunch of dialogue that you can’t skip which is fine the first time but you have to sit through that every-time you play the mission and its impossible to actually get the achievements without sitting through it at least twice. You can’t just switch to a character more suited for a particular achievement or you just feel like playing at the time because otherwise you have to go through the whole thing again to unlock them for that character. Personally I think it should just unlock the story mission account wide when any character of yours completes them and you should be able to get achievements from the start.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Living World

Posted by: Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

Agreed. The whole “Grind” of it is just down right stupid. Bleh.

in Living World

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I was hoping to get it while playing on my alt but no luck.

On a positive note though, I do like those little indicator icons that give a bit more info, and tell you wheter you still qualify or not.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Living World

Posted by: mallas.9836

mallas.9836

what grind? You are bored one day, hey gonna go snag one of those achievements. There is no pressure to do it within a 2 week period now.

Lets say its “take a break” fun. Or in my case, hatred. But thats for other reasons.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

There is still a bit of pressure, since you know that in 2 weeks, new achievements and new content will be here. There’s also the fact that the bulk of the player base will also “follow the crowd”, and thus if you wait too long to do the achievements, you might get into a position where you really have to struggle to get them done alone. (And let’s not forget the possibility for ANet to adjust achievements so that “cheap” ways of getting them are fixed too.)

Thus, it’s always best to get the achievements done as soon as possible. We do at least have the safety net of knowing that they will always be there though.

in Living World

Demented Sheep.1642

what grind? You are bored one day, hey gonna go snag one of those achievements. There is no pressure to do it within a 2 week period now.

Lets say its “take a break” fun. Or in my case, hatred. But thats for other reasons.

I’s forcing repetition. The fact that there is no “pressure” to do them isn’t the point. If you want to do them you have to deal with arbitrary restrictions which just make the process slower without adding challenge.

in Living World

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It forcing repetition. The fact that there is no “pressure” to do them isn’t the point. If you want to do them you have to deal with arbitrary restrictions which just make the process slower without adding challenge.

I think that there is a significant difference between offering an incentive to repeat the content and forcing one to repeat it.

in Living World

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

I think one reason why they may have done this is that in Season 1, a lot of players did the Living story content just to get the achievements. The Living story was seen as just another way to get more achievement points and not as a continuation of the story. Perhaps by locking achievements during the first run, they are trying to encourage players to play through the content casually as an adventure without any pressure of completing achievements and to watch all cutscenes. I actually like this decision for this reason but I understand why many people dislike it.

in Living World

Demented Sheep.1642

It forcing repetition. The fact that there is no “pressure” to do them isn’t the point. If you want to do them you have to deal with arbitrary restrictions which just make the process slower without adding challenge.

I think that there is a significant difference between offering an incentive to repeat the content and forcing one to repeat it.

But adding incentive to replay by locking out things is a bad way to do it. It doesn’t encourage redoing it because you want to, it just adds inconvenience and frustration for achievement hunters. If the achievements are challenging (which is a good way to extend content) then you’ll get people repeating it to get them anyway. They could offer alternative paths if they want a less arbitrary incentive to repeat or keep giving you (small) rewards on repeat.

I think one reason why they may have done this is that in Season 1, a lot of players did the Living story content just to get the achievements. The Living story was seen as just another way to get more achievement points and not as a continuation of the story. Perhaps by locking achievements during the first run, they are trying to encourage players to play through the content casually as an adventure without any pressure of completing achievements and to watch all cutscenes. I actually like this decision for this reason but I understand why many people dislike it.

Perhaps but I don’t know that it will actually help. I generally watch the cut scenes unless it’s a co-op and others want to skip. Its not like watching those cut scenes stops you getting the achievements. Anyone who was ignoring the story before will probably still be ignoring the story.

in Living World

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

So true. Started the first mission, did everything it took for the achivement to unlock and then it started to dawn on me that you can only get them on your second playthrough. I then found out that the story missions are not account bound but soulbound and that’s why I haven’t done any LS missions after the first one.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As mentioned above, I think that locking out the achievements until you’ve completed the story once is stupid, but I actually don’t mind them being character bound, since you actually get the rewards for each story instance on each character you complete it with.

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t mind locking the achieves until a second cherry pick run where you pick which part to do. I do mind locking them to alts. Once I’ve seen the story, it should be my choice whether to do the whole thing again or not. Had I known this lockout would happen, and what the achieves involved (hard to know before the first run through), I would not have used my RP main to do the story as he’s ill-suited to many of the achieves. This despite my always starting LS content on him as he -is- my story main.

Once I’ve gotten the lore and experienced the tale, I should be able to go in on an alt to work on the achieves. The rewards can be tied to playing it through on green and not offered on purple, that’s fine.

in Living World

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

I don’t mind locking the achieves until a second cherry pick run where you pick which part to do. I do mind locking them to alts. Once I’ve seen the story, it should be my choice whether to do the whole thing again or not. Had I known this lockout would happen, and what the achieves involved (hard to know before the first run through), I would not have used my RP main to do the story as he’s ill-suited to many of the achieves. This despite my always starting LS content on him as he -is- my story main.

Once I’ve gotten the lore and experienced the tale, I should be able to go in on an alt to work on the achieves. The rewards can be tied to playing it through on green and not offered on purple, that’s fine.

That’s the way it has always been. One characters Personal Story is not another characters Personal Story, so equally there’s no reason you should have access on an Alt. It’s not an ‘Account Bound’ progression, simple as that. You can’t jump a level 1 alt character straight to Zhaitan; it makes no sense.

If anything it is more about the role play aspects, keeping the story into the limits of each character.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Ah, but there are not really achieves tied to the PS. I don’t mind playing the story fully through on an alt that would ICly go through it. In fact, I’d choose to go through again, maybe selecting some different dialogue options if possible, in order to have another alt’s perspective on how it went.

Yet the brain behind the alt is the same brain for each one and I want to spend my time exploring the new stuff, not rehashing things solely for the purpose of using a better built profession for achieving. Moreover, once I’ve gone through it for the sake of my main experiencing the story, it reduces the effect for him to be able to just return. If he can, why can’t an alt of mine?

in Living World

Demented Sheep.1642

That’s the way it has always been. One characters Personal Story is not another characters Personal Story, so equally there’s no reason you should have access on an Alt. It’s not an ‘Account Bound’ progression, simple as that. You can’t jump a level 1 alt character straight to Zhaitan; it makes no sense.

If anything it is more about the role play aspects, keeping the story into the limits of each character.

But the PS was also to help guide you through zones, speed up levelling, get you decent gear for your level, introduce you to dungeons ect and the only achievements where for actually doing some of the quests. It also had branching paths and more opportunities for dialogue choices so it wasn’t as boring to redo. The LS is being done post 80, it’s mostly the same things every-time with some race specific dialogue and it dose have achievements. I don’t want have to go through it again if I want to use a stronger or more just suited character for achievements (Anet please stop giving more reason to not play my Necro ). Story wise even if I didn’t actually do X LS segment with a character because I felt like playing a different one at the time it seems odd that they would presumably have being sitting somewhere with thumb up their kitten while all this is going on.