Will we ever get a break?

in Living World

Posted by: MagnusLL.8473

MagnusLL.8473

First, we kill a dragon… except the whole land where it was residing is still a zombie-infested plague land.

Then we smash an enemy alliance and destroy their toxic tower… except the lake in which it was standing and all the surrounding landscape is permanently tainted.

At last, we win a glorious war for LA… except all we’re left with is a bunch of ruins.

Every time we “win”, some major section of landscape gets (or stays) wrecked. A few more of these “victories” and there won’t be any world left on which to fight.

When do we win a victory which looks like an actual victory?

in Living World

Posted by: Apophis.2498

Apophis.2498

There is no war without scars or casualties.

in Living World

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

Oh, I could get behind an “Orrian Liberation” campaign. I think that could be really great if done well. At present, I never go to Orr unless I need Obsidian Shards. It’s just a waste of space for me, and I’d like the opportunity to turn it into something new. Liberate Orr, cleanse the land of Risen, build a new Pact hub and use it as a jumping-off point to open up new explorable areas in that corner of the map.

Won’t happen in LS2, it seems, but maybe LS3?

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Every time we “win”, some major section of landscape gets (or stays) wrecked. A few more of these “victories” and there won’t be any world left on which to fight.

When do we win a victory which looks like an actual victory?

When you fight in your backyard nice things are going to be broken. The only way to avoid this is to take the fight to the enemy.

I’m hoping this next arc we get to travel west to explore new areas.

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Orr has to stay covered with undead, it is important that is remains the same for any newcomers working through their personal story.

As for other regions often being ruined I agree, at this rate in a few years everything will look like a desolate mess that no one wants to go to because it looks ugly (Essentially the Orr problem). I would rather the time and effort designers put into destroying a zone be spent making an entirely new region instead.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

It’s called a pyrrhic victory. Funny story behind that term.

Orr has to stay covered with undead, it is important that is remains the same for any newcomers working through their personal story.

Well we’ve only explored like half of Orr, so ANet could create at least 2-3 more maps (attached image of Orr at present) to cover the rest of Orr, in which we have a slow progression in terms of un-tainting Orr, with Treahern at the end sitting in a lush green meadow.

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Do you really expect a land ravaged by war to look normal?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Living World

Aedelric.1287

It’s called a pyrrhic victory. Funny story behind that term.

Well we’ve only explored like half of Orr, so ANet could create at least 2-3 more maps (attached image of Orr at present) to cover the rest of Orr, in which we have a slow progression in terms of un-tainting Orr, with Treahern at the end sitting in a lush green meadow.

You have a point, they could quite easily do this to give the impression of Orr being cleansed in new regions, but I doubt we will ever go back to Orr. I would much rather Arena Net focus on small self contained Living Story episodes that address such issues rather one large convoluted mess like we had last season.

in Living World

Posted by: Valrog.2059

Valrog.2059

That’ll happen when the six gods get so fed up of the Living Story that they hurl a huge flaming mountain at Tyria (like in Dragonlance), killing all the badly-conceived characters. We get a break because the mountain somehow misses all the players. That’s what I’d call a victory.

(edited by Valrog.2059)

in Living World

Posted by: Moshari.8570

Moshari.8570

Don’t forget that “the Ruins of Arah” dungeon also uses a large portion of the Orr map. It has large sweeping outdoor areas over much of Orr. So the amount of Orr that we have seen is greater than the map suggests.

in Living World

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

What’s funny is I was just talking with a guildie about how much I like the fact that these areas are still wrecked. Adds to the evolving Tyria narrative.

Victory is being alive and your enemy being defeated. Victory has never meant that your environment is still pristine, and possibly even better-off. War always means destruction on some level.

It’s very easy to destroy, it’s much harder to create and build.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

There have been a lot of people complaining that the LS doesn’t actually change anything in the world. Apparently there are people who complain when it actually DOES change something.

in Living World

Aedelric.1287

There have been a lot of people complaining that the LS doesn’t actually change anything in the world. Apparently there are people who complain when it actually DOES change something.

I would not say it does not change anything, Marionette ruins, Kessex Hills desolation, Lions Arch destruction are examples that Arena Net have at least tried to make things permanent.

But at the same time things do not really change much and when it does it only ever gets destroyed. The Marionette only changed an unused part of land, the ruins have nothing for anyone to go to for. Lions Arch is essentially an empty unused zone now with nothing in it for players to do, I say it will be rebuilt within a year essentially making the event a simple inconvenience and definitely not permanent. Kessex Hills seems to be a much more permanent change, such a shame though as I found that region quite beautiful before, now I just do not want to spend any time in it due to the looks, the `Orr factor´.

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I would not say it does not change anything, Marionette ruins, Kessex Hills desolation, Lions Arch destruction are examples that Arena Net have at least tried to make things permanent.

But at the same time things do not really change much and when it does it only ever gets destroyed. The Marionette only changed an unused part of land, the ruins have nothing for anyone to go to for. Lions Arch is essentially an empty unused zone now with nothing in it for players to do, I say it will be rebuilt within a year essentially making the event a simple inconvenience and definitely not permanent. Kessex Hills seems to be a much more permanent change, such a shame though as I found that region quite beautiful before, now I just do not want to spend any time in it due to the looks, the `Orr factor´.

They’ve said that LA was technically problematic with all the lag and people standing around. I’d bet anything that it doesn’t look the same when i gets rebuilt and they shuffle things around.

As for Kessex, it seemed completely generic and forgettable to me before. I wouldn’t mind if it got repaired and we got more interesting structures built but i like now more than before. There are a few maps that don’t jump out at me as particularly special and i’d like to see some more interesting stuff show up there but ideally i’d also like new permanent playable content too.

in Living World

Posted by: MagnusLL.8473

MagnusLL.8473

Reread my post.
I’m not complaining about change.
I’m complaining about change being one sided.

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Oh, I could get behind an “Orrian Liberation” campaign. I think that could be really great if done well. At present, I never go to Orr unless I need Obsidian Shards. It’s just a waste of space for me, and I’d like the opportunity to turn it into something new. Liberate Orr, cleanse the land of Risen, build a new Pact hub and use it as a jumping-off point to open up new explorable areas in that corner of the map.

Won’t happen in LS2, it seems, but maybe LS3?

I hate the high-level areas in general. So sick of risen. :P

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: Xyvol.1265

Xyvol.1265

Cragstead was added to Wayfarer Foothills and is still accessible.
The Not So Secret jumping puzzle in Gendarran Fields was opened up during Sky Pirates of Tyria.
Aether Path of Twilight Arbor is still playable.
New fractals were added during Fractured.
Edge of the Mists map is a permanent addition to WvW.
Southsun Cove was added before the term “Living Story” was applied to all release content.
The Crown Pavilion replaced the Sinkhole in Divinity’s Reach, and added the Royal Terrace area.

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Lions Arch is essentially an empty unused zone now with nothing in it for players to do, I say it will be rebuilt within a year essentially making the event a simple inconvenience and definitely not permanent.

Lion’s Arch will remain desolate for a long time, until it’s eventually infested with scavengers and brigands to serve as the Tengu lowbie zone in however many years from now Anet is ready to open their city and race to the player population.

LA will never be a functioning city again.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ