Wyverns are antisocial

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The absolute worst thing that can happen at the new wyvern bosses is for more players to show up. Every time I see a new player arrive I get slightly angrier, and if a commander shows up I just assume the event will fail or barely succeed.

These things upscale really badly. It’s so much easier to complete the event solo or with like 2 other players. It’s a step back for the franchise which has always tried to make you want to see other players in the open world.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I can’t agree at all. They upscale almost the same as any other non-standard boss in the game. What’s different is that these guys are new. The content is only 2 weeks old and there are still people who have never fought or only seen them a few times. Folks are still learning how they work.

Further, defiance breaking is especially challenging, since the window for CC is so short and there’s often little room to maneuver.

However, after killing one or the other nearly every day since DM opened, my impression is that people are getting better. The biggest difference is always whether defiance is broken at least once — if it is, it has always succeeded (when I’ve been present). Just last night, there was a big group (30+ at any given time), including several dead (contributing to the upscaling) and we broke the bar once.

The second boss had fewer people and did not succeed; it wasn’t even getting close until people from #1 joined.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

You don’t need to break the defiance bars at all if you’re soloing it, their health just absolutely melts. If more people show up their health stops dropping.

When you first get there you take them down to 60% in seconds, then the zerg shows up and you might as well leave. Takes the rest of the 8 minutes or whatever to slowly grind down what you did alone in seconds.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The problem likely isn’t scaling, but rather the zerg of 1 button spammers hiding in the back. If you’re actually capable of taking out 40% in seconds however, then scaling is likely broken when it’s only scaled for 1, otherwise you must have over 100k DPS.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

You could definitely make an argument the event is way too easy to solo, but the end result is the same. The more players, the less likely it will succeed. Every new player is someone I don’t want to see.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I can’t agree at all. They upscale almost the same as any other non-standard boss in the game. What’s different is that these guys are new. The content is only 2 weeks old and there are still people who have never fought or only seen them a few times. Folks are still learning how they work.

wait, what?
did I miss something?
there are wyverns outside HoT?
or is this about the two luitenant destroyers?

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

Yes, they’re referred to as wyverns in the Draconis Mons daily.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Illconceived Was Na.9781

wait, what?
did I miss something?

The two lieutenant destroyers are wyverns.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

wait, what?
did I miss something?

The two lieutenant destroyers are wyverns.

Okay, I never considered them as wyverns myself, I thought they were destroyed parodies of Chak (or anything else insectoid), but if everyone else thinks of them as wyverns, I won’t go against the flow

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

The absolute worst thing that can happen at the new wyvern bosses is for more players to show up. Every time I see a new player arrive I get slightly angrier, and if a commander shows up I just assume the event will fail or barely succeed.

Are you talking about the two Destroyer Champions at Draconis Mons?

If so, have never seen the event fail.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Amaimon.7823

Are you talking about the two Destroyer Champions at Draconis Mons?

yea, apparantly they’re wyverns.
And also yea, I rarely see them fail as well. although I did learn (the hard way) this boss is a hell to melee. Just grab a longbow and snipe it to death while staying on the islands avoiding the green flames.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

It fails all the time, but even if it succeeds it take the zerg the entire time length to take it down when you can take it down by yourself or with a couple others really quickly. It’s just a giant waste of time if lots of people show up.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It fails all the time, but even if it succeeds it take the zerg the entire time length to take it down when you can take it down by yourself or with a couple others really quickly. It’s just a giant waste of time if lots of people show up.

Both statements aren’t entirely accurate.

• It does fail with a small group and often does.
  • It does fail with a large group or take nearly the entire time period.

Regardless of group size, breaking the defiance bar — even just once — just about guarantees success. Defiance, like health, scales up with group size. And, with more people, there are two reasons it becomes more difficult: (1) health & defiance only rescale if someone leaves (not when someone dies) and more people means more folks who expect a rez (or wait a little longer to get one). (2) it takes more people to break the bar and there aren’t yet that many people who know to hold on to their hard-control skills and also time them so that they trigger before the wyvern pushes the shock wave.

The content hasn’t been out that long. There are still plenty of folks new to Draconis Mons and the fight. Many of the more experienced players have moved on — they finished their backpack and don’t need the fights anymore.

Consequently, it’s not surprising that the events sometimes fail and that adding more people makes it harder — that’s not necessarily because it scales too high; it’s largely that more people means that more people don’t know what to do.

So if you are there and want the event to succeed, start letting people know when the event is about to start (7 infestations followed by 4 burrows followed by two lieutenants). Ask people to bring hard CC and mention a few skills by name, especially things like ice bow, jade winds, head butt, moa, gale, … Remind people that the first opportunity comes at 75% health and that succeeding at even just that one speeds the fight up.

In other words, this is no different from any other meta event: its success|failure depends on the random participants to know what to do. Don’t assume everyone understands — help ensure that as many learn what to do as possible.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

It doesn’t matter to me if the event succeeds or not or if anyone understands the mechanics, my point is just that seeing other players there dramatically increases the length of time it takes to kill the bosses.

Solo = cakewalk
Zerg = I’m probably leaving

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It doesn’t matter to me if the event succeeds or not or if anyone understands the mechanics, my point is just that seeing other players there dramatically increases the length of time it takes to kill the bosses.

Solo = cakewalk
Zerg = I’m probably leaving

That’s your choice. As long as you realize your choice is based on a false assumption — more people does not mean it takes longer; it depends on the people. You’re not willing to spend time to help increase the number of folks who understand how to speed it up and that’s fine; it’s not your job to educate other players.

However, please don’t make that choice for others.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

I am 100% certain I am correct that more people means it takes longer. I’ve done the event dozens of times. It’s not a false assumption, I know I can kill it quickly and zergs even breaking the defiance bar cannot.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Posted by: Tornupto.2304

Tornupto.2304

I am 100% certain I am correct that more people means it takes longer. I’ve done the event dozens of times. It’s not a false assumption, I know I can kill it quickly and zergs even breaking the defiance bar cannot.

It’s not the scaling that causes the problem. Lazy players cause it. One of the reasons why i don’t do world bosses if I don’t have to. Too many people just don’t know how to do dps with more than 3 digits.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Fluffball.8307

It’s not the scaling that causes the problem. Lazy players cause it. One of the reasons why i don’t do world bosses if I don’t have to. Too many people just don’t know how to do dps with more than 3 digits.

Ya, that’s a large part of it.

Some world bosses hardly seem to scale at all. Teq and triple trouble will actually fail if not enough people are there. Legendary sand giant is impossible to solo. In these cases you love seeing another player show up.

The wyverns scale massively, so it’s just plain better for more people to not show up even if they’re all playing well, and if they’re laying there dead it can make the event literally impossible to succeed. Either way, you don’t want them there.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Posted by: MrNumnut.2635

MrNumnut.2635

The only reason the event fails often is because it seems nobody is aware of the Enrage that happens once 1 of them dies.

You have to kill them both at the same time to ensure a smooth run, if you quickly go ’’solo’’ 1 side you’re gutting over the other side as their Wyvern will enrage, reducing incoming damage and increases outgoing damage.

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

That is exactly the real reason. The more people, the less personal commitment you’ll see. “someone else will do the work and nobody will notice how much/little effort I put in”.

It’s not something you can solve technically because that’s how swarms act. The more people, the less responsibility the individuum takes. My bet is that 20% of the zerg deal 80% of the damage. Pareto knew his kitten.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Wyverns are antisocial

in Living World

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

The only reason the event fails often is because it seems nobody is aware of the Enrage that happens once 1 of them dies.

You have to kill them both at the same time to ensure a smooth run, if you quickly go ’’solo’’ 1 side you’re gutting over the other side as their Wyvern will enrage, reducing incoming damage and increases outgoing damage.

Quoting this cause it’s true. Every smooth kill has been with two balanced zergs communicating constantly and backing off the one that burns faster until a near simultaneous kill is achievable. It’s like a watered-down octovine or triple wurm, only a lot more forgiving.