can we please get a proper recap of Season 1?

in Living World

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

I am helping a friend level and we just finished killing Zaithan, then he saw the Season 1 recap and asked:
friend: “that was all that happened in Season 1?”
me: “no”
friend: “then what else happened?”
me: "see these “consortium guys?” Anet made a story about them berating and forcing refugees from a previous story work for them, and us helping them regain their freedom. That story introduced Captain Magnus, investigator Ellen Kiel, a Troublemaker sylvari Canach, and golem Job-o-tron who has a story of his own with many names, he is basically Hero-tron. There was also an election story because a sky pirate murdered someone from the Captain’s Council and thus a spot was open. You could support either Ellen Kiel or Evon Gnashblade by doing mini missions with them and putting tokens in their baskets. In the end Ellen Kiel won. Lastly Ellen Kiel and job-o-tron help you in the fight against Scarlet"
friend: “cool, when and why didnt Anet put that in the recap?”
me: “I dont know :/”

sooooooo whenever possible can we please get a proper recap of Season 1 pretty please?

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree: the current recap always seemed to cover all the least-interesting elements of the plot. I would have preferred three sets of dialogue:

• The gory detail version, which recapped each chapter individually.
  • The short story version, mostly the current cinematic, which covers just the barest outline.
  • A character-by-character introduction:
    • Extra detailed for the b-conics (Braham, Rox, Kasmeer, Marjory, Taimi) — how we met them, some of their major contributions and/or tribulations. Also Canach.
    • Slight mention of key figures that we meet time and again, notably Kiel (seen now in fractals), Gnashblade (when do we not see him?), Ho-Ho Tron and his minstrel sidekick, Lord Faren, Anise, the community leaders, etc.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

in Living World

eduardo.1436

ehhhhhhhhh already read those thank you. But there’s a reason why Anet put a “season 1 recap” in the game, they want new players to know how we start season 2, and it does a good job. However if this is a Season 1 recap then it is incomplete, and I’m sure an NPC won’t tell you “if you’d like to know more please visit the GW2 wiki”

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

How about they just bring Season 1 back permanently, reformatted for the Story Journal?

Despite common belief, most events were not zerg based and could be brought back with little to no issue in continuity, and there were 30+ story instances across the board, only a handful of episodes needing their open world story to be translated into story instances (mainly The Lost Shores, Secret of Southsun, Cutthroat Politics, and Escape from LA/Battle for LA). Most of the work would come just from translating those old instances from being tied to achievements to being tied to the story journal, rather than reworking the content itself.

A recap that focuses on more than just Scarlet’s plot (which was half of Season 1) would be nice, but I think having the actual content in the game would be nicer, especially since the gap of the ratio of “those who played Season 1”:“those who didn’t play Season 1” is growing every day.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

even within the recap, that moment you “killed” scarlet is when you see a completely different character.
that’s like having a book about gwen but not including gwen anywhere in the story.

in Living World

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

They need to just do the work required to get S1 in the game in full, not just a recap. It’s ridiculous that it’s taken them this long. It doesn’t have to be as complicated as everyone acts like it is; the vast majority of it was instanced just like S2. Of the open world stuff, some can be left out entirely and some can be revised to be instanced.

It ruins the presentation of the game to such a degree that it should be their #1 priority.

in Living World

eduardo.1436

oh dont get me wrong, I DO want Season 1 to be re-playable as much as you guys, but if at the moment we have this “recap” then it is incomplete

in Living World

Posted by: Sunyavadin.7962

Sunyavadin.7962

Given how much of it was in large scale open world events, I think the best way of implementing it is going to be in the manner they already implemented a couple of aspects of S1 – via Fractals. We could see them rework the existing Season 1 content into a battle of Lion’s Arch fractal, a Marionette Fractal, etc. – and then there could be an option in dialogue with Dessa to play a specific chain of these, in order. Possibly with interludes of the original story instances which accompanied some of these events.

in Living World

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

This would literally be the best game out there if we had some time travel to replay S1 best stuff ever made !!!!

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

How about they just bring Season 1 back permanently, reformatted for the Story Journal?

Despite common belief, most events were not zerg based and could be brought back with little to no issue in continuity, and there were 30+ story instances across the board, only a handful of episodes needing their open world story to be translated into story instances (mainly The Lost Shores, Secret of Southsun, Cutthroat Politics, and Escape from LA/Battle for LA). Most of the work would come just from translating those old instances from being tied to achievements to being tied to the story journal, rather than reworking the content itself.

A recap that focuses on more than just Scarlet’s plot (which was half of Season 1) would be nice, but I think having the actual content in the game would be nicer, especially since the gap of the ratio of “those who played Season 1”:“those who didn’t play Season 1” is growing every day.

I would love it if this happened. I bought the game after LWS1 had ended and didn’t get to play any of it

I would even be happy if ANet didn’t allow us to complete the historical S1 achievements as long as I could play the story and be involved instead of watching a short video or reading a summary on the wiki

in Living World

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Unfortunately, it seems to be for the Black Lion Miniature Merchant. A new tab for Season 1 miniatures. Or at least that’s what everyone on the reddit thread seem to think.

Whether it is or isn’t, well, if it is I’d expect it to be part of the third quarterly update this year which will focus on adding content to the game (I don’t recall if they mentioned it’d be specifically adding new content, or just adding content in general) instead of revamping stuff.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

That’s exciting! I hope its not just a new tab for black lion merchants but actually LWS1 as a feature pack in the gem store

in Living World

Posted by: Torgaard.1864

Torgaard.1864

While it’s certainly been talked about before (re-releasing instanced versions of Season 1, much like Season 2 currently works), and understanding that ArenaNet has talked about how there’s alot of technical difficulties (ie it wasn’t originally designed that way, etc), it does seem like a no-brainer huge win for them if they could pull it off.

While there is undoubtedly alotta resources that would have to be thrown at that project, I guess my perspective is – it’s like releasing another expansion, with a fraction of the work. All the benefits and a fraction of the work. I say that, because I can only assume it would be a pretty massive influx of players, returning players, hours spent playing the game, all correlating to more stuff bought from the Black Lion, all that. It makes for an ideal filler between now and the next expansion, along with other content updates of course.