more Jory/Kasmeer facedesking (spoilers)

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Major spoilers will follow. You’ve been warned.

So Majory’s sister is killed, and she’s understandably upset. Kasmeer tries to console her. No problems here.

Jory tells Kasmeer that she’s going to return the body to their family, and that Kas should stick with the group. Kas says she’d rather be with Jory, to support her in her time of grieving. Still OK.

But then, as it always seems to happen with these two, the dialogue goes into “just get on with the freaking story” territory. After the above dialogue, all of which is fine, Kasmeer starts begging to come with Jory, and Jory repeatedly denies her. Kasmeer won’t take no for an answer, and Jory won’t give in. So it goes on far longer than it needed to, to the point where it once again detracted from the tone of the scene. I haven’t played through this on subsequent characters, but the inability to skip the cut scenes is going to make sitting through this exchange tough to do.

in Living World

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

And then she was like “We need to talk.” and here I am, hoping they break up and Jory finds a nice GIRL back home because this is boring me to death.

With our luck, the death of her sister will turn into one of those “You don’t have much time in the realm with the ones you love” so we end up seeing some boring, two week wedding prep/wedding day living story.

Zzzzzzzzz

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

So why is it just these two that annoy you and not dialogue from any of the other characters who also speak during the story?

in Living World

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

So why is it just these two that annoy you and not dialogue from any of the other characters who also speak during the story?

and here comes the drama…

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

in Living World

darkace.8925

I explained quite clearly what it was about their dialogue in this chapter that bugged me. The answer it right there, in my OP.

in Living World

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Give them a kittening break.

in Living World

bokkieskitten.8023

Give them a kittening break.

I have no kit kats to give…

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

I explained quite clearly what it was about their dialogue in this chapter that bugged me. The answer it right there, in my OP.

Seems to me like these two characters just annoy you, period. Not any of the others.

I got annoyed with Taimi’s Scarlet fangirling shenanigans, and setting us up to get caught in that machine (and possibly nearly corrupted as well), but I’m not constantly making topics about it.

Also, I’ve seen at least another thread or two specifically complaining about KasJory’s dialogue. I’m beginning to think this is less about what they’re saying and more the characters in particular.

in Living World

bokkieskitten.8023

Seems to me like these two characters just annoy you, period. Not any of the others.

I got annoyed with Taimi’s Scarlet fangirling shenanigans, and setting us up to get caught in that machine (and possibly nearly corrupted as well), but I’m not constantly making topics about it.

Also, I’ve seen at least another thread or two specifically complaining about KasJory’s dialogue. I’m beginning to think this is less about what they’re saying and more the characters in particular.

People are going to complain about what they don’t like, that’s natural.
Tired of seeing it? Easy, don’t read it. Unfortunately, if you don’t like Kas and Jory, you can’t skip their talking if you want to finish the other pieces of the story.

They are annoying, just like treeboy and Logan are horridly annoying.

Sorry people, this isn’t about homophobia. Though I know someone is dying to say so.

in Living World

Sororita.3465

Maybe because these are poorly designed characters that have bad dialogue? The fact that they’re in a same sex relationship has nothing to do with it, stop trying to make it as it is. If you dont like the other’s personalities then make your own threads about it, this thread is about unskippable cutscenes and bad dialogue.

in Living World

darkace.8925

Stop trying to turn this into something it’s not. Kindly take your straw men elsewhere.

in Living World

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

they are pretty hammy and annoying in general. Similarly people tend to get annoyed with any couple they have to spend a lot of time with, and the mostly tell each other how much they like each other/miss each other and love each other constantly.

this is why they even have an idiom,
http://english-idiom-usage.blogspot.com/2013/01/idiom-9-get-room.html

i do understand some people love that type of thing, which is why i suggest those types of exchanges be something you opt into, you can decide if your specific charachter likes snooping on other peoples business.

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

People are going to complain about what they don’t like, that’s natural.
Tired of seeing it? Easy, don’t read it. Unfortunately, if you don’t like Kas and Jory, you can’t skip their talking if you want to finish the other pieces of the story.

They are annoying, just like treeboy and Logan are horridly annoying.

Sorry people, this isn’t about homophobia. Though I know someone is dying to say so.

Having an option to skip the cutscene is a valid suggestion, yes.

Until then, if their dialogue really makes one’s ears bleed, they can always mute Dialog volume in the options menu, then go through their inventory to salvage/sell things on the Trading Post until the cutscene’s done, or search up objects of interest on the wiki/forums, or well…anything else for the time it takes for the cutscene to end. So the level of complaining I’m seeing feels…unnecessary.

Trehearne himself isn’t so bad, more how he was thrown into the story with no knowledge of him at all unless one plays the story as a sylvari.

I will agree a Logan being an annoying bookah, however. Heh.

If you dont like the other’s personalities then make your own threads about it, this thread is about unskippable cutscenes and bad dialogue.

The the thread should be named “Unskippable cutscenes and bad dialogue”, hmm? Although, that might not fit, given their limitations on title size.

Stop trying to turn this into something it’s not. Kindly take your straw men elsewhere.

I seem to have hit a nerve.

Although, telling me to get out rather than show how I’m jumping to the wrong conclusion only makes my suspicion stronger. Oh well.

in Living World

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I for one quite like it. I would help Marjory propose like I did for Keiran.
Who knows, she might even suddenly turn into a Dervish once she gets married.

in Living World

darkace.8925

Although, telling me to get out rather than show how I’m jumping to the wrong conclusion only makes my suspicion stronger. Oh well.

That’s a clear case of you seeing what you want to see. There is nothing in my OP that criticizes these characters for anything other than their dialogue carrying on too long and being unskippable. That you read more into it than that says an awful lot about you, doesn’kitten

in Living World

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Maybe I have a supreme tolerance for soppy romance, since I don’t find Kas and Jory annoying or drawn out in the slightest. For me, the weakest character from the companions is Braham. Admittedly that’s mostly because he’s young and has a weird emo hairstyle. If we have a Norn with us, I’d rather have a gruff stereotypical one with a beard that turns into a bear at frequent intervals!

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

Eh, Braham’s okay, save for him being Eir’s son for no reason, and his sorta silly hairstyle.

If we have a Norn with us, I’d rather have a gruff stereotypical one with a beard that turns into a bear at frequent intervals!

Well, we had Forgal…didn’t transform at all, but he would pass for the other things. (sighs sadly)

in Living World

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Maybe I have a supreme tolerance for soppy romance, since I don’t find Kas and Jory annoying or drawn out in the slightest. For me, the weakest character from the companions is Braham. Admittedly that’s mostly because he’s young and has a weird emo hairstyle. If we have a Norn with us, I’d rather have a gruff stereotypical one with a beard that turns into a bear at frequent intervals!

braham is really bad as well, but he doesnt bother me much because he rarely speaks, and when he does, its generally short.

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

speaking as someone that was mildly annoyed by that scene too…

because it’s not the main focus of the story, and it takes too freaking long. rox’s nagging about braham’s leg is annoying, but it takes 10 seconds for them to move on. their side story is fast. taimi is never talking outside the realm of plot-relevant things. jory and kas’ side story is their romance, and it’s fine, but please don’t drag two full minutes of watching them talk back and forth.

here are the two S2 moments people complain about them, and their solutions:

1- the second mission from the first episode. the solution is simple, don’t stop the story just to have us listen to them. they can talk, but if they’re functioning humans, which i believe they’re meant to be, they should be able to talk and walk at the same time.

2- belinda’s death scene. it just took too kitten long. like the OP said, it got the point across on the first third of the conversation. marjory is shocked and sufferring, kasmeer wants to support her, marjory says “i need some time alone”. then it goes on repeating the last two parts over and over with different words for two minutes. cut the redundant talk.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Living World

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

hmmmm…. to be fair though, while this bit of conversation has little to do with the the progression of the over all arc, it has very much to do with the progression of Kaz and Jory’s relationship as well as the development of their characters. It is going slightly off topic, into somewhat of a tangent, but then again, this too, is very realist, as its common place in everyday life, which is what they are going for. It doesn’t really work for a novel, but it goes hand-in-hand with their ‘living world’ concept.

in Living World

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I see what you did there.

Also, the OP should just shrug it off and move on. There are many things I don’t like in several games, but it usually takes a lot less effort to ignore them and continue doing my stuff than creating threads expressing how much I hate X character or Y mechanic.
It adds to character development in the end.

I say, ANET should make it skippable after you’ve completed it for the first time. I can understand how having to wait for a dialogue to finish before you can do your stuff could irk somebody.

in Living World

Posted by: Supermagnum.3458

Supermagnum.3458

They should hide a stick somewhere every time they have their drama, so that when you find it, you can go around poking dead bodies till the dialogue is over. Add an achievement to poke all the dead bodies and I won’t even care that the dialogue and voice acting for these scenes is bad.

In all seriousness, they could’ve cut a minute out by ditching most of Kasmeer wanting to stay with Jory.

in Living World

CharrGirl.7896

They should hide a stick somewhere every time they have their drama, so that when you find it, you can go around poking dead bodies till the dialogue is over. Add an achievement to poke all the dead bodies and I won’t even care that the dialogue and voice acting for these scenes is bad.

In all seriousness, they could’ve cut a minute out by ditching most of Kasmeer wanting to stay with Jory.

I can understand if you don’t like the theme, but calling their voice acting bad? Are we seriously playing the same game? Especially VA of Kasmeer, it’s outstanding.

in Living World

Sororita.3465

I can understand if you don’t like the theme, but calling their voice acting bad? Are we seriously playing the same game? Especially VA of Kasmeer, it’s outstanding.

What version of the game are you playing exactly? obviously not the same as the rest of us…

in Living World

bokkieskitten.8023

You must have the Chinese version of the game.
How much is Anet paying you?

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

This is thread #1 we always get after each living story update. Tomorrow we’ll get the one about there not enough burly male characters with stubbly masculine rugged good looks and eyepatches.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Kas/Jory dialogue is about Kas/Jory. Taimi fangirling did bother me a little bit (as does the constant reminders that Braham broke his leg – as boring as they have become it’s far less prominent than Kas/Jory stuff), but most of the other dialogue the other NPCs have is specific to the situation. Taimi talking about Scarlet or Inquest informs me (the player, the audience) about the area I’m in. It advances the story of Scarlet and furthers my understanding of what everything going on. It’s very story relevant. The other characters might be as annoying as Marjory and Kasmeer if they got as much self serving dialogue as Marjory and Kasmeer. They don’t seem to though, Taimi is usually plot relevant (she’s the resident exposition asura) and Braham and Rox barely speak, the only story they seem to have going on is Braham’s leg (which has become as big a broken record as players complaining about Marjory and Kasmeer – you’d think no-one in Tyria broke a leg before, or that a broken leg is a big deal in the first place – he’s a freaking guardian in a land full of healing magic).

Kasmeer and Marjory talking about their relationship has nothing to do with anything but those two characters. It doesn’t advance my knowledge of Mordremoth, it doesn’t advance my knowledge of ley lines or Scarlet or what’s going on. It’s entirely about them, any player not interested in them and their relationship is going to find little value in this dialogue – it’s essential private/personal/intimate conversations the PC has no role in. That can feel intrusive when it slows down the pace of a story you are otherwise interested in.

This is thread #1 we always get after each living story update. Tomorrow we’ll get the one about there not enough burly male characters with stubbly masculine rugged good looks and eyepatches.

Don’t worry, the red post always goes in the thread praising Marjory and Kasmeer ensuring that thread gains the highest visibility, keeping it on the front page and colouring all the following feedback.

(edited by Shiren.9532)

in Living World

CharrGirl.7896

You must have the Chinese version of the game.
How much is Anet paying you?

I seriously have no clue what are you on about, nor do I care. Keep trolling.

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

That thread was killed and buried on the 3rd floor of the Tower of Nightmares. No one shall ever resurrect it! Mwhahahahaa!

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Kasmeer and Marjory talking about their relationship has nothing to do with anything but those two characters. It doesn’t advance my knowledge of Mordremoth, it doesn’t advance my knowledge of ley lines or Scarlet or what’s going on. It’s entirely about them, any player not interested in them and their relationship is going to find little value in this dialogue – it’s essential private/personal/intimate conversations the PC has no role in. That can feel intrusive when it slows down the pace of a story you are otherwise interested in.

Or doesn’t slow it down, but just sticks a little distracting “what the heck was that?” in it. Honestly, what it feels like is this is them trying to build something up so they can yank on it later. And like a certain dead prince, some people will go “oh no!” and others will go “die faster!”.

Don’t worry, the red post always goes in the thread praising Marjory and Kasmeer ensuring that thread gains the highest visibility, keeping it on the front page and colouring all the following feedback.

I’d rather those stay and the ones mentioned before disappear. Unless we can make them all look like Jack Black.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Oh look, this thread again.

in Living World

Posted by: Gillian.1859

Gillian.1859

The KasJory dialog may have been a bit long but it’s in no comparison to these constant, neverending KasJory complaints I am seeing at every single LS update. When you read a novel where there is an especially long chapter that seeks to flush out character development, do you write to the author to complain?

in Living World

darkace.8925

The worst part about it is it doesn’t even stop there. After the final cut scene, after a great revelation, and after the formation of a plan of action we don’t close with discussion of any of that. Oh no…God no! Why the hell would we close Chapter 2 discussing Mordromoth, The Eternal Alchemy, or the leaders we’re going to visit when we can discuss Kasmeer and Jory some more? We close, unsurprisingly, with Kasmeer again prattling on about how she wishes she could be with and protect Jory. Because we didn’t get enough of that in the previous instance, apparently.

in Living World

Posted by: Supermagnum.3458

Supermagnum.3458

When comparing it to a lot of the characters in the original release, yes. Though this could likely be fixed with better dialogue to allow the VA’s the chance to better explore and express the emotions of their characters.

My criticisms for Belinda’s death scene in particular was Kasmeer came off almost as whiney (though the dialogue didn’t allow for much), whereas for Jory the struggle to keep it together over her sisters death had the potential to be explored more in both the dialogue and the portrayal of emotion in her voice. Unfortunately what we got was more tired and flat.

Going forward what I would like to see is the members of the group to have a more defined role or purpose. For Kasmeer, she needs to be portrayed as bit more intelligent while retaining her playfulness and have her role in the group be the ‘people person’ and use her ability to read emotions to provide solutions in the story where characters outside the group need to be convinced. This would allow her to explore her charisma/charm as a character and provide the VA with the opportunity to express the emotions of Kasmeer as more than Jory’s shoulder to cry on.

For Jory, when she comes back, she should be expressed as a darker character, consumed by her path for revenge. Hurt by the loss of her sister, we need to see the rage/anger in her expressed in her dealings with enemies in both her voice and her necromancer powers. It would be good to see her blur the lines between how she deals with innocents and enemies and to show a blind determination to carry, indifferent to her fallen allies. This should allow the VA to explore Jory’s new found emotions(yay!), and develop her expression of them over successive patches.

From this what could happen is almost a role reversal in Jory and Kasmeer’s relationship. Where Jory’s quest provides strain on the relationship (goodbye honeymoon/school girl phase, hello adult relationship) but Kasmeer disturbed by some of the actions, powers on and uses her persuasion to control some decisions and act as almost a restraint on Jory, stopping her from destroying everything in her way.

So is this a expression of opinion then me wanting to poke dead bodies with a stick?

in Living World

CharrGirl.7896

The worst part about it is it doesn’t even stop there. After the final cut scene, after a great revelation, and after the formation of a plan of action we don’t close with discussion of any of that. Oh no…God no! Why the hell would we close Chapter 2 discussing Mordromoth, The Eternal Alchemy, or the leaders we’re going to visit when we can discuss Kasmeer and Jory some more? We close, unsurprisingly, with Kasmeer again prattling on about how she wishes she could be with and protect Jory. Because we didn’t get enough of that in the previous instance, apparently.

You obviously don’t read the dialogue because it ends up with us discussing how we should talk to the Pale Tree.

in Living World

darkace.8925

You obviously don’t read the dialogue because it ends up with us discussing how we should talk to the Pale Tree.

One of the last things said in this chapter is, and I quote Kasmeer here, “if only I still had my family’s wealth, I could take her away from all this. Keep her safe. Give her the things she deserves.”

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

One of the last things said in this chapter is, and I quote Kasmeer here, “if only I still had my family’s wealth, I could take her away from all this. Keep her safe. Give her the things she deserves.”

Alas, only we can give her the things she deserves.

. . . better armor skins, and the chance to teach us how in the bleeding abyss she made that bone bridge.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

CharrGirl.7896

Ok. So you went through the trouble of quoting exactly what was said. My point still stands though. This is just plain nitpicking.

(edited by CharrGirl.7896)

in Living World

Posted by: Shardelyss.4807

Shardelyss.4807

If I had to compared the mini missions you get for Bram and Rox and then Kas and Jory. I liked the former even though I cringed as soon as they brought up the foot issue that should have already been dealt with and done with in chapter 1. (I get the why it was used, but when something’s over done, its becomes an eyesore. :/)

The later though… I felt like an outsider. This is like reading a book where you have two characters where their paths divide and you switch between chapters and each of those chapters develop per that character’s path…except here, you are in both chapters. I felt that as the player, we did well in Bram/Rox’s route… but not as much as the Jory/Kas route.

It’s probably because in Bram/Rox’s route you feel more involved – even with illusionary choices – it just felt so much better. I liked that episode. That was pretty decent.

Jory and Kas though, it felt like something we needed to see, but shouldn’t have had to play through, if that makes any sense. All you really do is follow Route A to Route B and then wait through redundant conversation to end. I felt painfully embarrassed to be standing over them as they talked… as if I had NO right to be there because (being the third wheel and playing as a male character) I shouldn’t be standing right beside them as if expecting to say something, but lacking the voice to interrupt.

My significant other half got on my case for complaining about this since he thought “there’s nothing for me to say here, not my place…” and yet I thought (with my female mind) I should at least be saying something. Nothing that steals the spotlight, just… I’ve been through Orr, I’ve lost my mentors and my friends…. I should have been able to say something to either of them. But I guess that’s just me.

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

. . . better armor skins, and the chance to teach us how in the bleeding abyss she made that bone bridge.

Don’t forget those deluxe-sized bone minions. While we’re at it, we’d better question Kasmeer about how she drastically reduced the cooldown for her Time Warp.

She either had barely any cooldown for hers or none at all, she actually overlapped two of them during the fight on the walls!

in Living World

CharrGirl.7896

Don’t forget those deluxe-sized bone minions. While we’re at it, we’d better question Kasmeer about how she drastically reduced the cooldown for her Time Warp.

She either had barely any cooldown for hers or none at all, she actually overlapped two of them during the fight on the walls!

I loved her Time Warp. Probably the most useful NPC in the game currently, and they actually revive you when you’re downed (for the most part).

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yes, WvW mesmers demand instruction immediately for these things. These clearly are more important than worrying about whether or not I can fit Mr Sparkles in a trebuchet.

in Living World

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I loved her Time Warp. Probably the most useful NPC in the game currently, and they actually revive you when you’re downed (for the most part).

Kiel was doing that a fair bit for a PUG when we were storming the Aetherblade Hideout. So it’s been happening for a while, that reviving mechanic.

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

kasmeer’s fine, marjory… ugh. no one talks with that entonation. no one. during the scene in question (belinda’s death), i was so taken out by her VA that i could picture her actress in the booth, reading the lines.

in Living World

darkace.8925

Ok. So you went through the trouble of quoting exactly what was said. My point still stands though. This is just plain nitpicking.

A. If you want to presume something of someone, you should at least acknowledge you did so unfairly when you’re presumption is shown to be incorrect instead of trying to dismiss it with a shrug of the shoulders.

B. Your point doesn’t stand because the chapter ends exactly like I said it did: with Kasmeer carrying on about Jory.

C. For you it may be a trivial thing not worth nitpicking. For me it’s bad writing and bad characterization and it’s worth offering my constructive criticism to the writers.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO AGAINTS ROMANCE IN G2 STORY!

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

You realise that entire part of the dialogue can be skipped. In fact the dialogue trees give you a grand total of 4 options to skip the dialogue that so offends you. So you are basically getting upset that you have to read completely optional words that you specifically chose to read.

And all the instances you only have to sit through the Jory & Kas dialogue once now, when you redo it you can quit the instance as soon as you’ve done the achievements.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO AGAINTS ROMANCE IN G2 STORY!

not as much against romance (or same-sex romance, before stones are thrown at me), as they are about poor writing. in this case, the writer not realizing that a certain conversation has overstayed its welcome and the characters are just repeating themselves again and again.

by all means, have your lesbian romance, but be concise about it, like you are about the rest of the “side story dialogue” (see: braham’s leg. not the most fun topic, but at least it’s done fast). that, or have those long conversations without stopping the whole game for them (it’s the side plot, the main plot shouldn’t freeze on its tracks for the side plot to have long exposition). not sure why ANet is against NPCs talking while you walk from A to B.

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

And all the instances you only have to sit through the Jory & Kas dialogue once now, when you redo it you can quit the instance as soon as you’ve done the achievements.

not if you wanna get rid of that green star, no >.>

(why is there no “cancel replay” option >.>)

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

You realise that entire part of the dialogue can be skipped. In fact the dialogue trees give you a grand total of 4 options to skip the dialogue that so offends you. So you are basically getting upset that you have to read completely optional words that you specifically chose to read.

I noticed that! I saw it and thought ‘ha, those people got what they wanted’. But apparently that’s not enough.