more Jory/Kasmeer facedesking (spoilers)

in Living World

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

You realise that entire part of the dialogue can be skipped. In fact the dialogue trees give you a grand total of 4 options to skip the dialogue that so offends you. So you are basically getting upset that you have to read completely optional words that you specifically chose to read.

You can’t skip the dialogue at Fort Selma because it’s mandatory; you have to sit through it if you want to progress the story.

But that’s not really the point. The point is this: I don’t want to skip bad dialogue, I want to enjoy good dialogue. The dialogue between Kasmeer and Jory has been consistently bad. I won’t pretend it hasn’t been bad with other characters, too; but other characters don’t get the same volume of dialogue Kasmeer and Jory get and their dialogue is usually contextually in line with the scene in which it’s presented.

in Living World

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

So why is it just these two that annoy you and not dialogue from any of the other characters who also speak during the story?

The other characters aren’t usually trying to evoke that sort of serious, direct emotion (romance, concern, grieving, etc.) so there’s less room for it to make people feel socially awkward or just to misfire and come off badly. At worst, the others are just sort of irritating. Imagine being stuck in an elevator with two strangers who are openly dealing with personal stuff (whether it’s fighting, getting it on, talking about private tragedies, etc.) and just wishing you could be anywhere else. please don’t cry, please don’t cry. ok, she’s crying. do I just sort of look at the ground, or the wall, or what? should I say something? no, i don’t know these people. oh god, now the other one’s crying. aarrgh, reach my floor already!

It doesn’t hurt that the characterizations of the relationship between the other three (meaning, mainly, the weird but charming nonsexual jealousy between Rox and Taimi regarding Braham) is done with a lot less exposition and a lot more implication. It comes off as better written, and wastes less of our time if we don’t care for it.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Living World

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

You realise that entire part of the dialogue can be skipped. In fact the dialogue trees give you a grand total of 4 options to skip the dialogue that so offends you. So you are basically getting upset that you have to read completely optional words that you specifically chose to read.

You can’t skip the dialogue at Fort Selma because it’s mandatory; you have to sit through it if you want to progress the story.

But that’s not really the point. The point is this: I don’t want to skip bad dialogue, I want to enjoy good dialogue.

Oh, we’re not talking about Fort Salma’s dialogue here.
At the end you can skip the whole KasJory drama, but you opted to continue reading, so that’s your problem.

Also, it is really the point, because while I don’t particularly like the whole drama,

a) It is part of character development.
b) Some people do like it and do care about it.

So, asking for its removal is selfish and spending part of your time complaining about it and defending your point of view is child-ish and pointless, as you’re wasting more of your time here than you did reading/listening to them.

in Living World

darkace.8925

So, asking for its removal is selfish…

I’m not asking for it’s removal, I’m asking for it’s improvement.

…and spending part of your time complaining about it and defending your point of view is child-ish and pointless, as you’re wasting more of your time here than you did reading/listening to them.

I don’t see it as a waste of time. If enough people think like me and voice their opinion on the subject in a constructively critical manner then the writers might take note of what we feel is working and what isn’t. If they can then improve the dialogue in future installments of the Living Story, then my time spent discussing the subject will have been worthwhile.

in Living World

Posted by: Amlin.6041

Amlin.6041

I think it injected a little bit of realism to the situation, any sooner resolution to the discussion and it would have felt abrupt to me.

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Something needs to be done with the Jory/Kas scenes, they are so cringe worthy. I am beginning to dread my interactions with them because it is always a long, unskippable drama that comes off as a poorly written teenage fanfic.

The latest drama with her sister could be seen coming from a mile away, as soon as she was introduced everyone knew she would die. The scene was specifically made for the emotional impact, unfortunately it had none because the majority of the audience guessed what was going to happen weeks before it did.

Do not get me wrong the current arc has it’s highlights, ley lines, Mordremoth, attacks, Centaurs and Zepherites. But the artificial drama constantly pushed on us with Jory and Kas is a detriment to the overall storytelling.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

(edited by Aedelric.1287)

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

There is too much focus on these two and their relationship. It needs to be toned down just a bit (actually a lot). Its getting to the point that every time they are together I have to hear about their love for each other. And sure enough in the Belinda scene they just ramble on, the dialogue is so bad.

in Living World

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Just let me save the world, i don’t care about your relationships, your problems, your crying faces. Let me brutally murder someone.

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Just let me save the world, i don’t care about your relationships, your problems, your crying faces. Let me brutally murder someone.

. . . start with Zojja. Please. Do us all a favor.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Gaming an interactive medium. There should not be any long unskippable cutscenes in the first place.

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Gaming an interactive medium. There should not be any long unskippable cutscenes in the first place.

Yes, please. Especially when, oh, the servers happen to go down in the middle of something?

It’s almost as bad as the obligatory unskippable dialogue-heavy cutscene before a boss battle in an RPG where you can very easily die and have to do it all over again, gods be blasted I just want to get back to getting murdered by Necrosaro . . .

. . . sorry. Really bad memories.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

The percent of ppl who care more about what THEY do in this game is much greater then the ones who just want to watch awkward muppet facial expression of a couple born out of everything cliche in the world.

That moment was good and it got just the right amount of attention it should. If u give it more, people won’t care long-term. “For more stay tuned” makes u want to wait for the next episode just to see what happens.

in Living World

darkace.8925

I think it injected a little bit of realism to the situation, any sooner resolution to the discussion and it would have felt abrupt to me.

You think Kasmeer honoring Jory’s request for space to mourn her dead sister without begging like a love-sick puppy would have been abrupt? To each their own, I guess.