[spoiler] Why another ?

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

The Living Worlds s2 is good, but…

There’s a new human lesbian couple. It’s said to be rare in Tyria. Why making a new human lesbian couple so obviously ? There’s other races… And where’s the gay couple ? Why do you not insist as much on straight couples ?

Also during an interview it’s said that people don’t think it matter. Why insisting so much on it so ? We don’t know these noble woman, why does she yell to us that she’s with another women ? It’s like being at a party and a stranger come and tell you she’s lesbian… We don’t care !

If you want to introduce lesbian/gay/straight couple, let us know them more intimately before or don’t bother to make NPC tell us this.
If they talk each other or are side by side, it’s enough hints for NPC we don’t care about.

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Haven’t played it yet, but so long as these are just nameless background characters, it’s fine by me. Just view them in the same stroke as the other random NPC couples you see around Tyria from time to time (like those 2 quaggan, or the housewives talking about their husbands in DR, or the flirty couple that used to be in Fort Salma, etc).

That said, this is GW2, a video game, not someone’s personal platform for raising w.e social awareness problem they want. If they start shoving it down our throats by giving such matters repeated attention or special focus, people are going to get jaded and discontent.
Hopefully it doesn’t come to that though.

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Alasteir.7031

Alasteir.7031

Haven’t played it yet, but so long as these are just nameless background characters, it’s fine by me. Just view them in the same stroke as the other random NPC couples you see around Tyria from time to time (like those 2 quaggan, or the housewives talking about their husbands in DR, or the flirty couple that used to be in Fort Salma, etc).

That said, this is GW2, a video game, not someone’s personal platform for raising w.e social awareness problem they want. If they start shoving it down our throats by giving such matters repeated attention or special focus, people are going to get jaded and discontent.
Hopefully it doesn’t come to that though.

People aren’t going to get jaded over something completely normal and okay, and the way they’re doing it is perfectly acceptable for the rating of the game. The OP is right, no one really cares too much, and they shouldn’t, just like they shouldn’t care if there was a straight couple introduced the same way, which is why they don’t put too much focus on it. Maybe a few years ago, it would have been a wtf moment, but now it’s common enough not to be “how dare you shove your different lifestyle where I know you exist!”

Lady Novae – 80 Human Ele – Blackgate

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Alasteir.7031

Alasteir.7031

The Living Worlds s2 is good, but…

There’s a new human lesbian couple. It’s said to be rare in Tyria. Why making a new human lesbian couple so obviously ? There’s other races… And where’s the gay couple ? Why do you not insist as much on straight couples ?

Also during an interview it’s said that people don’t think it matter. Why insisting so much on it so ? We don’t know these noble woman, why does she yell to us that she’s with another women ? It’s like being at a party and a stranger come and tell you she’s lesbian… We don’t care !

If you want to introduce lesbian/gay/straight couple, let us know them more intimately before or don’t bother to make NPC tell us this.
If they talk each other or are side by side, it’s enough hints for NPC we don’t care about.

Your awareness of this is rather odd, given that there is a straight couple given focus in the form of those two quaggan. And there is no difference between a gay or a lesbian couple. Different terms used to describe the fact that there are two facets of one particular form of sexual orientation, but why does this bother you so much? If it wasn’t a big deal, you’d not put too much focus on it, and move on. Hell, I didn’t even notice this, I thought the woman just meant like, this is her friend.

Lady Novae – 80 Human Ele – Blackgate

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Huh? I think I’ve absorbed every bit of dialogue from the new episode I could, but I didn’t really notice any lesbian couple? In any case it’s not a big deal anyways, I mean there are plenty of straight couple background NPC’s throughout the game too, I mean who cares. :P

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

to whom are you referring too?

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Because: teen/younger, male audience.

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Do you mean the noble you interrogated? Wouldn’t she say the exact same thing to characters of the opposite sex? Because you know, NPCs tend to have generic dialogue, gender independent (aside from referring to you as he or she).

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

The only two noblewoman I can recall in close proximity to each other were the two ministers under the bridge and one of them was mainly interested in Lord Faren and apparently had a calender of him.

Either I missed something or this is another tiresome rant about Kasmeer and Marjory.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

Why another? Because of people like you.

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

OH! The Minister that was interested in me! I didn’t like my awkward response, I wanted to get her number, she seemed like she could handle norn.

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Arewn.2368

People aren’t going to get jaded over something completely normal and okay, and the way they’re doing it is perfectly acceptable for the rating of the game. The OP is right, no one really cares too much, and they shouldn’t, just like they shouldn’t care if there was a straight couple introduced the same way, which is why they don’t put too much focus on it. Maybe a few years ago, it would have been a wtf moment, but now it’s common enough not to be “how dare you shove your different lifestyle where I know you exist!”

It is completely normal and okay. That’s why I provided examples of the equivalent straight couples we already see in game as a means of saying “look, it’s already in game, no problem if they had homosexuality to the mix”. Representing other facets of life in the game’s world is great.
What will make people jaded and discontent though is if we start seeing gross over-representation and focus. They haven’t really done so yet, which is why I said “IF they start”.
An example that they already are a little guilty of though: they gave a large amount of focus to two main character’s lesbian relationship and even felt the need to shove a kiss scene between them into an important moment in the main story. Something unprecedented in the game, and something I’d wage we will probably never see repeated. It makes it feel like they did it just because “oh look lesbians”.

Another problem is that they only seem willing to represent lesbian couples, and not gay men. Oddly enough, this is a trend my girlfriend often talks about noticing in webcomics and fanfictions she reads.

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Are you implying that they make more homosexual couple because I’m homosexual ? It’s not because I’m homosexual that I want to see homosexual couples everywhere and in the spotlight you know ?

they gave a large amount of focus to two main character’s lesbian relationship and even felt the need to shove a kiss scene between them into an important moment in the main story. Something unprecedented in the game, and something I’d wage we will probably never see repeated. It makes it feel like they did it just because “oh look lesbians”.

And I assume that, if Kasmeer & Marjory were Asura or Charr, the kiss scene never existed.

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

Are you implying that they make more homosexual couple because I’m homosexual ? It’s not because I’m homosexual that I want to see homosexual couples everywhere and in the spotlight you know ?

they gave a large amount of focus to two main character’s lesbian relationship and even felt the need to shove a kiss scene between them into an important moment in the main story. Something unprecedented in the game, and something I’d wage we will probably never see repeated. It makes it feel like they did it just because “oh look lesbians”.

And I assume that, if Kasmeer & Marjory were Asura or Charr, the kiss scene never existed.

I don’t care if you’re gay, and only one homosexuel couple are in the spotlight -Kasmeer and Marjory.

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Whoa whoa, who was this NPC? I listened to just about everything everyone said, I didn’t catch this.

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Arewn.2368

And my assumptions (and therefore problem) is that the scene never would have existed had it been ANYONE else.

I don’t care if you’re gay, and only one homosexuel couple are in the spotlight -Kasmeer and Marjory.

They are, in fact, the only couple that are in the spotlight.
That’s fine on it’s own, but as I outlined earlier can be a problem depending on other factors.

[spoiler] Why another ?

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Huh? I think I’ve absorbed every bit of dialogue from the new episode I could, but I didn’t really notice any lesbian couple? In any case it’s not a big deal anyways, I mean there are plenty of straight couple background NPC’s throughout the game too, I mean who cares. :P

Yeah, I saw no ‘new’ couples in this LS episode AT ALL, lesbian or otherwise.

there was a minister who flirted kinda with my female human noble necromancer, but that’s it.