why do you "turn off" content

in Living World

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

so i just came back to the game after a few months break and saw someone with a backpack that was really cool looking and would fit my characters look(I’m an Engineer and the backpack was the jetpack)

so I asked what backpack it was and how to get it and the guy told me it was the Jetpack and unfortunately I can’t get it anymore because the dungeon is not in t he game any longer.

I don’t understand why would you turn off non holiday content?!? why would you spend time working on a dungeon only to remove it a few weeks later. just because that part of the story event is over doesn’t mean people either who came back to the game or just started wouldn’t want to play through it.

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Because it is a -living- story, as it it evolves and changes. It would hardly be a living story if it remained the same for years and years.

Solution? Do not take a break, it is why Arena Net now schedule bi-weekly updates, so people always have something to do, they never want you to leave!

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

removing it doesen’t make it a Living it makes it Wasted content and money….

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Living World

Posted by: Lurch.4793

Lurch.4793

they never want you to leave!

If that was the case, then they should be charging a subscription.

in Living World

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Unfortunately this is what ANET wants. They want people like yourself who take a break or even new people to see these skins and go “I want that”.

It’s a reward for the people who took part in that aspect of the living story or game and also an incentive for new and returning people to check in often to see what new goodies you can get.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Living World

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Unfortunately this is what ANET wants. They want people like yourself who take a break or even new people to see these skins and go “I want that”.

It’s a reward for the people who took part in that aspect of the living story or game and also an incentive for new and returning people to check in often to see what new goodies you can get.

Except it’s a bad idea that doesn’t work at all. It actually does the opposite of what they want it to do- it’s a disincentive to ever come back when you have to play consistently on Arenanet’s schedule or miss major things.

I honestly can’t believe this concept still has any white knights left. It’s a complete failure.

in Living World

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

You can buy the jetpack off the trading post (though it is a high priced ~175g).

The actual dungeon will return (probably late November to early December), albeit a somewhat shorter version because it will be made into a fractal.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

in Living World

Einlanzer.1627

You can buy the jetpack off the trading post (though it is a high priced ~175g).

The actual dungeon will return (probably late November to early December), albeit a somewhat shorter version because it will be made into a fractal.

See I think it’s dumb to even make it a fractal. It should have just stayed and been expanded on as a regular dungeon with a story mode as sort of a repeatable finale to the f&f story. It really doesn’t make any sense.

in Living World

GoldenTruth.2853

See I think it’s dumb to even make it a fractal. It should have just stayed and been expanded on as a regular dungeon with a story mode as sort of a repeatable finale to the f&f story. It really doesn’t make any sense.

I think it makes a lot more sense to have it as a fractal, but whatever.

If you want reasons I can expand on why.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

(edited by GoldenTruth.2853)

in Living World

Einlanzer.1627

I’m curious what you have to say, though I doubt it’ll change my mind.

in Living World

GoldenTruth.2853

I’m curious what you have to say, though I doubt it’ll change my mind.

Well besides the obvious “wouldn’t exhibit a changing world” which I think is a bad argument and could easily be solved by adding herald flashbacks.

The biggest problem in my mind has to do with people actually playing the content. One could see a glimpse of this at the end of the Sky Pirates patch where Aetherblade Retreat wasn’t being run much (in a non-dungeon setting you could see this with how few people were doing Crown Pavilion when Clockwork Chaos came out).

Simple put, there isn’t much incentive in doing it far after release. Many people won’t care about a 7 month old dungeon especially if the reward is simply a chance at a skin. So what’s a simple way to solve this? Increase the incentive to run it. However, this ties into the 2nd problem. If they increase the incentive for the new dungeons suddenly all the old ones are run less (because they are less profitable). As Anet adds more and more dungeons, people will run the less rewarding ones less and less, including those past living story dungeons (something we already see now). Even if they made it so all the dungeons were just as rewarding for their risk the dungeon running community would then be split between X number of dungeons.

However, if you put these new dungeons in fractals instead you aren’t fracturing people as much. Because fotm randomly selects the dungeons you run you see this fracturing far less. It would be much easier to find a group (as well as balance the loot) for a dungeon that randomly picks from a large pool of dungeons than from just as many individual dungeons.

Now that doesn’t mean I agree with making it so loot like the jetpack is unavailable. I would rather have it be something like a rare chance at jade maw chest if it was in a previous fractal. While meta-achievement rewards (something guaranteed if you were there and did the content), remains limited time.

FotM rewards would need a large revamp for this to work effectively though (as people actually need incentive to run it).

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

(edited by GoldenTruth.2853)

in Living World

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Except it’s a bad idea that doesn’t work at all. It actually does the opposite of what they want it to do- it’s a disincentive to ever come back when you have to play consistently on Arenanet’s schedule or miss major things.

I honestly can’t believe this concept still has any white knights left. It’s a complete failure.

While I’m not a white knight for the cause.. they make up for this by continuously bringing out skins and other things. In this case the person missed the Jet Pack skin. It sucks, yes. But how many other back piece skins have come out and will come out. Perhaps the next update will have an even better skin for that person.

Personally I have too many back skins. I have 2 in my bank that I wont equip because all 5 of my toons have ones that fit them.

It sucks to miss that one time item, but the good news is there are more coming every 2 weeks….

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Living World

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Well besides the obvious “wouldn’t exhibit a changing world” which I think is a bad argument and could easily be solved by adding herald flashbacks.

The biggest problem in my mind has to do with people actually playing the content. One could see a glimpse of this at the end of the Sky Pirates patch where Aetherblade Retreat wasn’t being run much (in a non-dungeon setting you could see this with how few people were doing Crown Pavilion when Clockwork Chaos came out).

Not to contest your point but people not doing Crown Pavilion stuff after Clockwork came out was more to do with the fact that Clockwork actively locked the Pavilion until you completed some invasions. That combined with the fact that the invasions proved to be more profitable than anything in the Pavilion ensured that nobody bothered going back anyways.

in Living World

GoldenTruth.2853

Not to contest your point but people not doing Crown Pavilion stuff after Clockwork came out was more to do with the fact that Clockwork actively locked the Pavilion until you completed some invasions. That combined with the fact that the invasions proved to be more profitable than anything in the Pavilion ensured that nobody bothered going back anyways.

Well the part about profit was kind of the point. Once the novelty wears off, for most players it essentially comes down to what is the most profitable at that point in time. For example, when Crown Pavillion was new people still did the champ train there even when there were more profitable farms (ember farming/frostgorge champ train)

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

in Living World

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

Because it is a -living- story, as it it evolves and changes. It would hardly be a living story if it remained the same for years and years.

That isn’t really true. “Living” means that some things happens, all right, but it isn’t necessary that they go away as soon as possible. They can, effectively, remain in the world.

So, new dungeons, new zones, new adventures… can come and go, or come and stay…

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)