2 shortcuts, possible?

2 shortcuts, possible?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

is it possible to have two shortcuts to the same game? and save different login credentials in them. It would save me some hassle if someone knows if this is possible. I’m not looking to multibox or anything, I’ll just be playing one acount at a time, but it’ll save me time from typing login credentials everytime.

2 shortcuts, possible?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

2 shortcuts, possible?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Gw2.exe -email "x@example.com" -password "examplepass" -nopatchui

2 shortcuts, possible?

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

There is definitely a way to do it as I have three accounts and each has its own short cut. What Healix looks about right however on the properties of mine the order is slightly different

GW2.exe" -nopatchui -emailx@example.com -password passexample

That is how the last part reads in the ‘target’ box under properties, unfortunately I can’t remember how it was set up like that.

Using this means that you don’t need to enter your username and password as it is already part of the short cut.

It is only useful as a log in for a secondary account as it doesn’t do any patches, I tend to log in on my main account which has the basic short cut each day to make sure the patches are up to date and then use the others to access my secondary accounts afterwards. It also doesn’t go to the extra screen if you change IP addresses and need to put in a secondary security code., you will need to do that through a standard short cut.

WARNING: Do Not use this if you use a shared computer. When you go into the properties of the shortcut it will show your username and your password as part of the target

2 shortcuts, possible?

Amaimon.7823

thank you for the help. I will try your pathname method.
@Cedo, thanks for the suggestion, but I would much prefer not to use software of any kind, since it’s often hard to tell how picky anet it when they have their banning spree on third party software. It’s propably safe, but an acount as old as gw2 with all the effort put it, I’d rather avoid all sources of jeopordy if possible

2 shortcuts, possible?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

is it possible to have two shortcuts to the same game? and save different login credentials in them. It would save me some hassle if someone knows if this is possible. I’m not looking to multibox or anything, I’ll just be playing one acount at a time, but it’ll save me time from typing login credentials everytime.

Absolutely. Simply create as many shortcuts as you wish. Each one is a separate “document” of sorts, which points to the thing that is run.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-program-shortcuts-windows-easy-way/

2 shortcuts, possible?

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Gw2.exe -email "x@example.com" -password "examplepass" -nopatchui

This is the best method in my opinion, however I highly suggest creating a batch file with this command and then using EFS encryption.

I.E

echo off CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2" Gw2-64.exe -email "youremailemail.com" -password “passwordhere” -nopatchui
exit

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc875821.aspx#EHAA

(edited by Chase.8415)

2 shortcuts, possible?

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

thank you for the help. I will try your pathname method.
@Cedo, thanks for the suggestion, but I would much prefer not to use software of any kind, since it’s often hard to tell how picky anet it when they have their banning spree on third party software. It’s propably safe, but an acount as old as gw2 with all the effort put it, I’d rather avoid all sources of jeopordy if possible

That really shouldn’t be a worry, as it only affects booting up the game, not running the game. Still, I understand your hesitation and don’t blame you for wanting to play it safe.

2 shortcuts, possible?

Healix.5819

This is the best method in my opinion, however I highly suggest creating a batch file with this command and then using EFS encryption.

If you want to be more secure, use multiple Local.dat files, which is where your password is remembered. For example, make a Local-1.dat for account #1, and a Local-2.dat for account #2 and so on, then make the following Gw2.bat:

Gw2.bat
cd %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/
del Local.dat
mklink /H Local.dat Local-%1.dat
start /d "c:\path\to\" Gw2.exe

It’s using a parameter for Local-#.dat, so for account #1, you’d make a shortcut like this:

Gw2.bat 1

2 shortcuts, possible?

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

If you want to be more secure, use multiple Local.dat files, which is where your password is remembered. For example, make a Local-1.dat for account #1, and a Local-2.dat for account #2 and so on, then make the following Gw2.bat:

Gw2.bat
del Local.dat

It’s using a parameter for Local-#.dat, so for account #1, you’d make a shortcut like this:

Gw2.bat 1

The local.dat is encrypted so there’s no reason to delete it or create a shortcut. (Try to open Local.Dat in Wordpad and notice it appears to be garbage.)

Creating a shortcut will store the password in plaintext that a simple malware program could steal your password just by running a search query on your computer. Encrypting it would prevent that.

2 shortcuts, possible?

Healix.5819

Encrypting it would prevent that.

Your password is visible when you initially run GW2, hence why swapping Local.dat is more secure. It used to be worse, where the password was visible the entire session, but they changed it to mask the characters, though the length is still compromised. If you’re worried about malware however, it doesn’t really matter either way.

2 shortcuts, possible?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Gw2.bat
del Local.dat

Gw2.bat 1

The local.dat is encrypted so there’s no reason to delete it or create a shortcut. (Try to open Local.Dat in Wordpad and notice it appears to be garbage.)

Creating a shortcut will store the password in plaintext that a simple malware program could steal your password just by running a search query on your computer. Encrypting it would prevent that.

A word of warning: “encoded” and “encrypted” are very, very different things. For example, “dGhpcyBpcyBub3QgZW5jcnlwdGVk” is not encrypted, but it also contains “garbage” rather than a plain english text string.

You shouldn’t assume that “I can’t see the password” is the same as “an attacker can’t see the password”.

Likewise, using EFS and a batch file is almost certainly useless, unless your threat model is “someone powers off the computer and steals the physical hard disk, then tries to find the password on it.”

Malware running on the computer has access to the unencrypted content of the file, EFS or not.

If you want to improve security here, there are two things that will have a real world, practical benefit:

One, turn on “two factor authentication”, and use it, for those accounts.

Two, use a unique password that you generated only for GW2.

2 shortcuts, possible?

Amaimon.7823

I tried adding the information to the .exe tag, but but then it says the path is unavailable.
I guess I’m doing something wrong, then, do you have a more concise explanation?
where exactly do I have to put the information?

2 shortcuts, possible?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here are instructions on using Command Line Arguments: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

Good luck.

2 shortcuts, possible?

Amaimon.7823

Here are instructions on using Command Line Arguments: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

Good luck.

that looks very concise, thank you, I’ll try it when I’m back home

EDIT:
Wow, it works
“WatchamacallitGW2.exe” -email blablabla@gmail.com -password PotatosSuck -nopatchui

This line works, it skips the login screen when you boot the shortcut.

(edited by Amaimon.7823)