32 bit client vs 64 bit client

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: RupertAndi.6208

RupertAndi.6208

I am looking for people’s opinion on if using the 64 bit client for GW2 instead of the 32 bit client for GW2 really makes a difference for game performance.

I also noticed that the new expansion (POF) can only be played on the 64 bit verison. Does anyone know if that is true?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Last I checked GW2 now automatically use the 64bit exe if you are on a 64bit system.

So the answer is forget about 32bit (who doesnt run 64bit today?!).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

When it was in beta, I got better performance. However, mileage varies so much from machine to machine, that it won’t help you to know. It’s possible for it to help 98%, provide no help to 1.9%, and you might be in that unfortunate 0.1% that have worse performance (although that might end up being something adjustable on your end, rather than the “fault” of the game).

FYI PoF ‘requires’ 64-bit, so if you have interest in that, I’d forget 32-bit altogether.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

At the end of the day it provides a greater pool of virtual memory for the application. That’s it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

PoF requires the 64-bit client, but will it still run with the -32 command?

I haven’t played in a while, but when it was in beta i’d use -64 and the game ran with better performance.
Now however, without the -32 command, the game crashes the second I click log-in.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I use the 32-bit client, so I’m going to see if it works during the Beta Weekend. If not, I’ll just have to use the 64-bit client.

I really prefer the 32-bit client, though.

Posted by: Elva.6372

Elva.6372

I use the 32-bit client, so I’m going to see if it works during the Beta Weekend. If not, I’ll just have to use the 64-bit client.

I really prefer the 32-bit client, though.

Why “prefer” the 32 bit client? I mean, by what actual standard do you “prefer” that older client?

The 64bit client will utilize your system’s resources in (at the very least) a marginally better manner, for this reason alone, it’s a good move.

I run the 64bit client on my Linux installation with no issues which considering everything, is fairly amazing.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Last I checked GW2 now automatically use the 64bit exe if you are on a 64bit system.
So the answer is forget about 32bit (who doesn’t run 64bit today?!).

My wife does contract work on robotic systems. There is one system that for updating the software it has to be written on a Win 7 32 bit computer. It cannot be written on a 64 bit system. She had to special order a laptop just recently and specify that it come with the 32 bit version of Win 7 on it. Getting harder to get that way. So for some things yes 32 bit is used, lol. Thou the laptops we use for everything else are all Win 10 64 bit.

Posted by: Marpo.8695

Marpo.8695

Why “prefer” the 32 bit client? I mean, by what actual standard do you “prefer” that older client?

I think he meant “prefer” as “runs better”.
I’m on the same boat. Tried a number of times to run the 64bit version hoping the patches at least addressed some of the issues but on my potato laptop (a 2011 one with Win 7 64) simply is a no-no.
Stuttering, losing connection especially in wvw and generally the game is at least 30% slower and less fluid. Nothing of this happens with the 32bit version or with any other game.

So I’m waiting too for next week, if the new expac runs on 64bit only I’m afraid it’ll be goodbye Gw2 for me.