424 hours played and still no "main..." Help?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vrak.2193

Vrak.2193

In fact, I am in a bit of a dilemma here as my highest level character is 22…. O.O

Now, that sounds worse than it is but you need to take into account spvp where you don’t actually gain exp, and I have spent a fair but of time there, but even so…not good.

Needless to say I am a bit of an altoholic but I usually always settle on one class that I play considerably more so than others, but after 4 months of playing with over 424 hours played across all my characters (don’t know if it counts deleted ones even) I am still yet to find the right class for me.

This is becoming a problem as I barely even play the game any more. I love Guild Wars 2 and I really want to get stuck into the content but without a main it just isn’t going to happen.

I don’t usually make this kind of thread but after countless hours of experimented and researching I am drawing a blank… So here I am hoping to get insight/feedback that will push men in the direction of finding a main so that I can actually enjoy the game to it’s fullest extent.

A few key points to go by:

1) Depth – The class needs to have reasonable depth to it. By reasonable I mean at least the average standard between all the classes, no less.

2) Decent number of “rotational” abilities – By rotational I mean active abilities used on a very frequent basis, and not situational like condition removal and longer cool-down abilities; I don’t want the core of my game-play to consist of auto 1, 1, 1, 1, with the odd 2, 3, here and there.

3) More than one viable weapon set – by viable I mean perfectly competitive for all types of content.

That’s pretty much it, not too fussy. The most important for me however is number 2; playing most classes admittedly at very low levels, I have missed the feeling of having a decent number of attacks at my disposal. I really need to be consistently pressing buttons to execute my basic damage “rotation.” One or two is just not enough for me.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Have you tried mesmer?
1. It is a fairly tricky class to play well and you have a number of options because builds play very differently.
2. you use all your skills across both weapon sets constantly, if you don’t like switching weapons don’t roll a mesmer.
Some of the skills are situational, sure but I find that you can set up great synergies-
it largely depends on your choice of weapons
3. I play a gs/staff mesmer and I know from the forums that many people play sword/pistol -I think it depends on your play style. Certainly mesmers can handle most types of content- they are even excellent at some

Hope that helps some

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Eon.1305

Eon.1305

I would say that both elementalist and mesmer fits those points pretty well

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

For the sheer depth id go for Ele. So many different ways in which you can play an elementalist coupled with the atunement swapping make this class the most tricky to master, but will dominate when used right.

I tried an Ele….far too complicated for my poor little brain to cope with! <3 my easy to play warrior too much.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I would also suggested ele and mesmer.

I would say ele because of the depth (like thereon said) and also the fact you will never 1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,3,4,1,1,1,1. More like f3,4,5,f1,3,5,4,f4,3,4,5,7 to target (with 7 being arcane flash) as a typical non-keybound ele combo.

However I would also say mesmer because ele is pretty much locked into D/D. S/D is very comparable but staff is only good for the range

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

However I would also say mesmer because ele is pretty much locked into D/D. S/D is very comparable but staff is only good for the range

I would argue that the staff is much more viable than D/D. However, that just shows that this statement is highly opinion-based and dependent more on personal play style than the weapon’s inherent effectiveness. Each of the Ele’s weapon sets is viable in various situations, as is the case with most weapon sets for the eight professions.