4th alt choosing.

4th alt choosing.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

I have fully geared Engineer, Warrior and Necromancer (necro is main, i love him, both in pve and pvp, haters gonna hate)

And now i’m stuck. I want new alt and choosing between Guardian, Mesmer or Thief

1. Guardian – Pros: charr t3 heavy looks perfect. Lot of nice utility skills, very useful for party, great defensive ability. Strong in PVP too
Cons – no 25% speed trait/utility, which is pretty annoying, no 1200 range weapon
2. Mesmer – Pros: greatsword with light armor looks great, useful for party, great damage, high controlling perspective
Cons: purple and pink spells, really hate this
3. Thief – Pros: devastating damage, no cooldowns, lot of dodges and stuff, dual pistols
Cons: hard to play, easy to die

Probably i will start with charr guardian, but if you have advices i will listen.

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

4th alt choosing.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I would vote mesmer. My bias is I main a mesmer.

2- GS is terribad on mesmer.

3 – dual pistols is terribad on thief

RIP in peace Robert

4th alt choosing.

Posted by: Greyalis.2309

Greyalis.2309

I vote mesmer as well. You can find thiefes and guardians in other mmo’s, you can’t find mesmers.

Self Is The Emblem All

4th alt choosing.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Mesmer . Everyone wants them in a party for PvE and WvW so you cant really go wrong there . I really dont see whats wrong with the whole purple thing either. Look at it like this in roman times purple was more a symbol of wealth than anything else so Mesmers are the upper crust of society

4th alt choosing.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Mesmer . Everyone wants them in a party for PvE and WvW so you cant really go wrong there . I really dont see whats wrong with the whole purple thing either. Look at it like this in roman times purple was more a symbol of wealth than anything else so Mesmers are the upper crust of society

1 Mesmer in a party is awesome. 2+ is a waste.

1 Guardian in a party is good. 2-3 is freaking sweet =).

I mainly run dungeons/fotm. In general, my idea party comp is 1mesmer, 2guards, 2 wars. Of course this changes on specific paths like AC where ele is king/queen.

RIP in peace Robert

4th alt choosing.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Guards are always good no matter what game mode you go into.

PvE you can carry a party easily with a guardian. The downside is that they are pretty boring. I use my guard in PvE to go run dungeons since I can watch a show and still support my team.

I used to play guard in WvW as well, but I moved over to eng and never went back… so idk about them in this current meta. I know they are wanted for large groups for support… but I don’t do that stuff.

Btw… scepter is a 1,200 range weapon on guard. They increased the speed on the projectile but it still is a little slow.

Guard doesn’t have a passive 25%, but can have 100% swiftness uptime and then you have leaps + teleports. Your speed just depends on how you’re built (same goes for mesmer).

Mes is also good in all game modes. WvW you’re kinda just there for your utility. PvE you can speed up runs with TW/Good pulls/roots/reflects/boon stripping/etc/ However as others have mentioned having more than 1 is a waste.

Out of the two I found mes to be far more fun. I gave bifrost to my mes. Rainbows + butterflies = alpha as kitten.

Theif… just isn’t that useful in most cases. PvE it’s nice that you can spam a blinding field, stealth past mobs, stealth revive… but it’s hardly necessary. WvW your best at doing things like scouting, slapping yaks, dropping supply traps while in stealth etc. Thief is far from best at actually killing anyone and in large groups you’re not very useful.

Thief has no 1,200 range weapon.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

4th alt choosing.

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Guards are always good no matter what game mode you go into.

PvE you can carry a party easily with a guardian. The downside is that they are pretty boring. I use my guard in PvE to go run dungeons since I can watch a show and still support my team.

I used to play guard in WvW as well, but I moved over to eng and never went back… so idk about them in this current meta. I know they are wanted for large groups for support… but I don’t do that stuff.

Btw… scepter is a 1,200 range weapon on guard. They increased the speed on the projectile but it still is a little slow.

Guard doesn’t have a passive 25%, but can have 100% swiftness uptime and then you have leaps + teleports. Your speed just depends on how you’re built (same goes for mesmer).

Mes is also good in all game modes. WvW you’re kinda just there for your utility. PvE you can speed up runs with TW/Good pulls/roots/reflects/boon stripping/etc/ However as others have mentioned having more than 1 is a waste.

Out of the two I found mes to be far more fun. I gave bifrost to my mes. Rainbows + butterflies = alpha as kitten.

Theif… just isn’t that useful in most cases. PvE it’s nice that you can spam a blinding field, stealth past mobs, stealth revive… but it’s hardly necessary. WvW your best at doing things like scouting, slapping yaks, dropping supply traps while in stealth etc. Thief is far from best at actually killing anyone and in large groups you’re not very useful.

Thief has no 1,200 range weapon.

I really don’t like shiny-pink-rainbow stuff. All my current chars mostly in dark armor. Necro and War wear Arah armor

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

4th alt choosing.

Aberrant.6749

Then make a guard

I didn’t like it at first either, but I grew to like it. My mes is my little barbie doll that I get to dress up… err… action figure… >.>

Tarnished Coast

4th alt choosing.

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Then make a guard

I didn’t like it at first either, but I grew to like it. My mes is my little barbie doll that I get to dress up… err… action figure… >.>

All my chars are male, i love to associate myself with them.

4th alt choosing.

Posted by: Sacrai.6280

Sacrai.6280

Funnily enough, you main the same class as I do and go for the same alts that I went at first (and I also only play male characters). Go for a guardian. Unless your goal is to have all professions at level 80, then go for a mesmer. You won’t have the patience to level the mesmer if you don’t do it now. Thief is very easy to level, you’ll have a lot of time later.

[LAGS] Sacraï – Roche de l’Augure[FR]

4th alt choosing.

Aberrant.6749

Then make a guard

All my chars are male, i love to associate myself with them.

Oh see I’m the total opposite… I see them as others. I always choose human female for something nice to look at (some dude’s rear it’s my cup o’ tea) or asura (for the pvp/wvw advantages).

Tarnished Coast

4th alt choosing.

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Funnily enough, you main the same class as I do and go for the same alts that I went at first (and I also only play male characters). Go for a guardian. Unless your goal is to have all professions at level 80, then go for a mesmer. You won’t have the patience to level the mesmer if you don’t do it now. Thief is very easy to level, you’ll have a lot of time later.

Are you my lost twin brother?

4th alt choosing.

Posted by: Sacrai.6280

Sacrai.6280

Sylvari Necromancer? kitten right I am.

Are you going for a Norn guardian by any chance?

[LAGS] Sacraï – Roche de l’Augure[FR]

4th alt choosing.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I got bored with my guardian. Yes, it’s highly valued in WvW and dungeons, but I just got too bored to go on.

Mesmer is cool, but I felt like I never used my utilities while leveling. They’re primarily used in dungeon situations and PvP. Just my take.

Thief is my fav of the 3 you listed. While the worst of the bunch for group support, they deal great damage, are viable in PvP and PvE, offer a wide range of playstyles, and have a dynamic feel that you don’t get bored with easily.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

4th alt choosing.

knbBlackTemplar.3059

I got bored with my guardian. Yes, it’s highly valued in WvW and dungeons, but I just got too bored to go on.

Mesmer is cool, but I felt like I never used my utilities while leveling. They’re primarily used in dungeon situations and PvP. Just my take.

Thief is my fav of the 3 you listed. While the worst of the bunch for group support, they deal great damage, are viable in PvP and PvE, offer a wide range of playstyles, and have a dynamic feel that you don’t get bored with easily.

Bad thieves dies too fast, i’m afraid i will be one of them

Btw my guard 60 already

4th alt choosing.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Bad thieves dies too fast, i’m afraid i will be one of them

Btw my guard 60 already

Well played Thieves are a wonder to behold (I’m closer to the wonderful dead….but trying). I can say this, if you connection is spotty (you have lag spikes often), playing a Thief will be very frustrating as precise timing is CRUCIAL to survival.

My Guardian is nearing 75 and I agree with some comments above that he can become quite boring to play but his survivability is impressive and he can certainly keep a nearby group of other players alive a lot longer as well.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

4th alt choosing.

Aberrant.6749

Pro guard open world leveling from 1-80.

Unlock staff and gs skills
Find a group of mobs
Use staff 4 (Empower)
Swap to GS
Push 5,5,4,3,2,1,1,1,1

If you put 15 into radiance, pick up blind exposure, and spam VoJ while doing this it works even better.

Tarnished Coast