9 lvl necro, but can't beat lvl 8 inquest assassin

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Darkland.4571

Darkland.4571

Hi everyone,

I am a level 9 Asura necro, but I keep doing the personal story (rescue Pol) over and over because the level 8 inquest assassins just 3 hit me and I am dead. They always run straight for me, no matter how far in the back I am.

Getting really frustrated with dieing at the same part over and over. Does anyone have some tips? It’s just pissing me off now.

Posted by: PythianLegume.4539

PythianLegume.4539

I also struggled with the same quest on my thief earlier today. The trick to avoid being 1-shotted is to use your dodges and crowd control. Then focus-fire one of them and even if you die, that’s one less enemy for next time.

Darkland.4571

I used dodges, but the assassin is right on me as soon as I finish the dodge. My pets died almost immediately, so there went my heal. My Death Shroud didn’t help, as the killed me as soon as it stopped.

Posted by: MoJoe.9063

MoJoe.9063

I haven’t played that mission so I don’t know any specifics, but what skills are you using? If the enemies are too strong for you up close then you need to create some distance between you and them. For instance, my necro uses scepter+focus mostly. Scepter 2 is an AoE cripple and Focus 5 is a chill, so for most melee enemies I can use those to slow them down while I pile on the damage before they can reach me. You can probably arrange something similar to happen with your enemies. Also try summoning minions so they can tank some hits for you, and don’t forget to use Death Shroud when you’re close to death.

Borlis Pass
Azman – Asura Necromancer, Kemena – Human Guardian
Emracool – Sylvari Elementalist, Lyra Lightbender – Sylvari Mesmer

Darkland.4571

I have tried with axe, and with sceptor. The sceptor 2 AOE does not do anything to them. Being far in the back did not help. They jump straight to me and I am dead in 3 hits. Summoning minions to tank is useless. They die before I do, and their death means I have no heal also.

PythianLegume.4539

Are you attacking the same enemies as your allies? If you attack an assassin who is not being attacked by anyone else, you will aggro them, but by attacking your allies’ targets you can hopefully avoid too much aggro. This will also give you the benefit of higher damage – yours plus your allies should be enough to kill an enemy even before they kill you.

Darkland.4571

That’s a good question… So far, when the batlle starts, the assassins jump back at me. With those guys smashing me, I have no idea whom my allies are attacking. If I stopping dodging to take a look, I am sure I would be dead.

PythianLegume.4539

Well if you really can’t do it then go raise up some levels and learn some new utility skills then come back. you will have your level scaled down, but the extra utilities and traits will help and then you can blast through like 5 storyline quests in a row.

Darkland.4571

I appreciate the comments…. Though it is a little disheartening to hear that I need to go level up a lot before coming back and doing a quest that should be done at level 8 (which I am already higher level than).

Posted by: phanmc.6759

phanmc.6759

Have well of suffering as your utility skill.
Have a staff and a second weapon set (I like axe and horn or dual daggers).
Learn how to circle strafe around your opponents, you will take alot less hits if done correctly.

When the fight starts drop down all of your AOE staff skills right in front of you, then switch weapons to do more damage. Drop the well of suffering when the assassins are sure to be within range. Now just circle strafe around the assassins hopefully keeping them within your AOE spells and dodge/DS when you get tagged.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Malambus.4702

Malambus.4702

This is how I did it:
Throw down 4 Marks with the Staff then switch to Scepter/Dagger. All 4 marks will go off as soon as the Inquest Assassin gets to you. This will give you regen from Mark of Blood and will give the mob Bleeding,Poison, Chill, Weaken, and Fear. Hit the mob with Scepter 3 Feast of Corruption.
Which skills have you purchased? Do you have any of the other pets besides the Blood Minion such as Bones Minions or Shadow Fiend? Blood Minion is the most useless heal we get since in most case when we need a heal right now it is likely dead. Buy Well of Blood as soon as you can. It gives you an instant heal
plus regen and it is a Combo Field that adds damage to your attacks.

Posted by: blue.8629

blue.8629

Get a foe, kite and focus killing one and if you die, at least one is down… < Repeat

Blue… My name is a colour.

Darkland.4571

Thanks a lot. I have not even used the staff yet. I will get a staff and try that. As for the minions, I have all 3 for level 9. They just die right at the beginning. I find them to be useful when only attacking one person (or one thing), but anything beyond that and they are dead.

I will try the 4 marks from the staff and ‘well of sufferring next’. I am willing to try anything at this point. And thanks again for all the comments.

Posted by: Zalastra.6290

Zalastra.6290

Another thing you might want to try is dagger offhand. The #4 ability blinds and transfers up to 3 conditions from you to your target. This attack bounces a few times. And the #5 ability weakens and bleeds your enemy. This is an aoe skill.

And well obviously kill that assassin asap