A Friendly noob that needs help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Deadnoz.7905

Deadnoz.7905

Q:

Hello there, i have only been playing this game for 2 weeks, but i have had this account since beta. I didnt play this game much due to things but i come back with many questions that i have not found answers for.

1: Class stability?

- Is there class stability? or is there classes that are frond upon? Like in some, not so straight forward, posts about class ability, they go on to explain how some classes do not perform as well as others. and im curious if there is over all class stability or if there is a favored.

2: End game?

- Now i have no idea whats in store for me at end game, but Honestly all i have done to level is 100% Zones, I just started my story line quest, and i have crafted a bit. Bt that is it. I have yet to do dungeons, WvW and Fractures (i think they are called that). I have tried living world but i had no idea what i was doing. BASICALLY what i am asking is there a beginners guide to how these work?

3: Community?

- I have played many games, and some games have the, in my opinion, worst communities. Like World of warcraft and League of Legends. Where trolling is a 50% chance of every encounter. Im curious if this game has some actual meaning to it, and not just a person who would run their mouth at any given moment.

4: PvP Content?

- Im a big PvPer but since im a noob i have only focused on the Exploration and PvW content (allows me to understand class abilities and lets me work on my ability to control my character better). But im curious if PvP is a big thing on this game. Some games i play have pvp, but no one really takes it serious or the game doesnt support it too much. Given the fact that i have not done much research on this subject, but all i have seen so far is WvW for pvp. so i have no clue.

Im sure there is more questions but its late and i cant remember all i had to ask

Thanks for the help in advance and i hope i can get some good answers,

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Naw you’re not a noob just a newbie which is to be expected .

The most unique class i would say is the Mesmer and the steepest learning curve i would say is the Ele or Engie .As far as classes being frowned upon though i would say no . All classes have their strong and weak points like any other MMO.

The living world can be confusing at times i’ll admit but thats where Dulfy comes in
http://dulfy.net/category/gw2/

Its a pretty good site for all things living world . As far as Dungeons and fractals are concerned if its not covered in the wiki dont be afraid to ask someone in chat .End game is pretty open ended in GW so I’ll let you figure out how you want to spend your time on it when you actually get there .

As far as the community goes I’d have to say its one of the better ones .

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

1: Class stability. Some classes are considered more OP then others. This is a lot less then people in those threads claim it to be. There is a big difference between OP and being more difficult to master. e.g. the warrior is a very easy press 1 and win class at the moment, but with a bit of effort, any other class can be nearly as good. The issue is nearly, but that means the warrior will likely get nerfed sooner or later.

2: There is no end game content. At any level it is possible to join in WvW. Just choose one of the maps and find a zerg (blue commandor icon on the map). Dungeons and fractals is a little bit different. Due to the small groups and high challenge, many groups prefer level 80 only players. But it is possible to find a group at lower levels.
Living world is a bit strange at start. You can use an external guide: dulfy.net

3: No community is perfect. The same goes for GW2. The game however is designed so it is promoting good behaviour instead of bad behaviour. No need to tag a boss first, you cant steal a kill and everyone who participated in an event gets a reward. This leads to a friendlier community allready even with a lot of former WoW players around. As well as a zero tolerance policy by both the community and the GM’s.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

1. There are differences between classes (of course) and sometimes one will be distinctly better than the others at particular things. But more often what happens is that someone designs a really good build for a particular purpose, which catches on, and then players start seeing it as this content was designed for this class, or they are the only one who can do it.

There’s also the fact that some are much easier than others. Warriors in particular are very simple to play, so a lot of people find the game easier when playing a warrior, and that turns into a perception that warriors are actually better than other professions when it’s not necessarily true.

But in general unless you’re looking to join a serious high-end PvP team you can play whatever you want and will be able to do all the content.

2. There is no dedicated end-game. Aside from a few level 80 zones and one dungeon there is nothing you can do at level 80 that you can’t do in some form before then, definitely no new game modes. So basically what you’ll be doing at level 80 is much the same as what you do before then – exploring maps, finishing your Personal Story, WvW, Living Story events etc.

There are guides to everything, but I don’t think there’s any single guide to the entire game. Nearest you’ll get is the wiki (link at the top of the page) which I definitely recommend using if you’re not sure about anything.

3. There are a lot of people playing GW2 and like any big group of people you get a whole range of personalities and moods. But generally I’ve found people to be pretty nice, trolling is rare and usually limited to silly/sarcastic comments and the game definitely encourages cooperation with other players through things like no kill stealing or open-world PvP which I think helps shift people towards being cooperative in other ways.

4. I know Anet want PvP to be a big thing, they want GW2 to be an “e-sport” (which as far as I can tell means they stream matches for people to watch online) but I have no idea how popular it is. My total experience of PvP is using the lobby as a quick way to get to LA.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

1: Class stability?

- Is there class stability? or is there classes that are frond upon? Like in some, not so straight forward, posts about class ability, they go on to explain how some classes do not perform as well as others. and im curious if there is over all class stability or if there is a favored.

Every class is definitely viable, and with the trait system there’s a build for everyone. A lot of people are biased about particular classes (and often rightly so), but essentially, if you want something to work you can generally make it work. It’s important to play whatever appeals to you most and specialize from there. For every person who complains that their class is underpowered, there’s a Youtube video of someone showing incredible skill with that class and doing things that don’t even seem possible.

Which brings me to an important point: this isn’t a game where you can throw on some gear and slap on a build and expect to win. GW2 is a game about skill; except in zerg (gigantically huge open-world group) content, your personal skill matters A LOT. A person who copies and pastes a build they saw on the Internet—even the build that’s currently considered “the best”—will fail more often than not if they don’t understand why and how it works and how to make the best use of it. Builds are a very personal thing, and while you can’t literally do whatever you want, it’s important to find a playstyle that works for you and master it, while also being cognizant of the other options you have with that class and remaining open to change things out when necessary.

2: End game?

- Now i have no idea whats in store for me at end game, but Honestly all i have done to level is 100% Zones, I just started my story line quest, and i have crafted a bit. Bt that is it. I have yet to do dungeons, WvW and Fractures (i think they are called that). I have tried living world but i had no idea what i was doing. BASICALLY what i am asking is there a beginners guide to how these work?

Ask around in LA or on the forums if you want dedicated groups or detailed explanations on how to do things. The Living Story is the easiest to get into since many if not most people in any given area have a grasp on how it works. Part of it is also experiencing the LS yourself so you know how it works. Pay attention to the upper right corner of the screen where the LS notifications will give you hints as to where to go to get started. The website dulfy.net is invaluable for figuring out where to go and what to do if you’re lost.

3: Community?

- I have played many games, and some games have the, in my opinion, worst communities. Like World of warcraft and League of Legends. Where trolling is a 50% chance of every encounter. Im curious if this game has some actual meaning to it, and not just a person who would run their mouth at any given moment.

To be honest, there are a lot of trolls and haters out there, but due to the way the game is made, generally people are helpful. Only the worst of the worst will make fun of you for not knowing something, as long as you’re not being willfully ignorant about it, and you seem like you genuinely want to know more about the game so nobody will fault you for that PvE is set up in such a way that cooperation is encouraged; events are easier to get done with other players (you don’t even have to group up, you can just find random people in the area doing things), rezzing other players gives experience and leads to a title, and there are virtually zero ways people can hold up others’ progress or prevent things from happening as they should. The only trolling you’ll see is in chat, and there’s always an ignore feature. If people see you’re being trolled, you can always ignore the troll and ask everyone else for help and/or support.

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

- Im a big PvPer but since im a noob i have only focused on the Exploration and PvW content (allows me to understand class abilities and lets me work on my ability to control my character better). But im curious if PvP is a big thing on this game. Some games i play have pvp, but no one really takes it serious or the game doesnt support it too much. Given the fact that i have not done much research on this subject, but all i have seen so far is WvW for pvp. so i have no clue.

PvP is almost a separate game unto itself in GW2. I’m a casual WvW player, and I only recently got into sPvP. WvW is a larger-scale game type and it’s more like PvP with PvE elements mixed in. For that, your server probably has training sessions every week (at least mine does), so you might want to check that out or at least ask around in Lion’s Arch to be introduced to some commanders who could help fill you in.

sPvP is even different. To get there, click on the crossed swords icon at the top of the screen and choose “go to the Heart of the Mists.” It’s best to start with hot-join PvP (talk to the match organizer in the Mists and hit “play now”) to learn the basics. But when you get better, try some Solo or Team Arena play (available from the PvP menu). Those are competitive and people there generally play at a higher skill level. Personally I just do hot-join because I want daily and other achievements, but if you’re serious about PvP, you should definitely go into the arenas.

Thanks for the help in advance and i hope i can get some good answers,

If you need help in-game, contact me under my tag (Equinox.4968) and I can help you. I also run a guild that specializes in training new players, we’re based in Isle of Janthir but you can join from any server if you’re interested.

Posted by: Yam.3265

Yam.3265

- Im a big PvPer … but all i have seen so far is WvW for pvp. so i have no clue.

Since everyone seemed to talk about WvW rather than sPvP, I’ll tell you about sPvP (structured PvP)

Currently, the sPvP community is undergoing some changes, such as more rewards, incentives, etc. The balance for sPvP is very lopsided… let’s just say that it is “under construction.” The devs recognize this problem and plan to make some big changes by next year, including new game modes (exciting, considering there is currently only one). It has not quite reached “e-Sport” level yet, even though some, especially the devs, push for it.

Do not be deceived. WvW and sPvP are two completely different game modes, and do not correlate to one another. Sure, you play against other human players, but the skill-level and mindset for each is unique. However, I would say that sPvP is much more individual based. From a tPvP (tournament PvP) point of view, you can make a huge difference in sPvP by yourself, although your team coordination and composition also matters a lot.

That being said, there are two modes of sPvP: hotjoin for more casual play and tournament PvP (tPvP) for more competitive play. The objective is the same: conquest. There are 7 different maps, each with its own twist, but with the same basic structure. You can either 5v5 or 8v8.

If you are interested in starting in sPvP, there is a cross sword icon on the top left of your window where you can “Enter Heart of the Mists.” That’s the PvP Lobby. You can access Hotjoin servers by hitting the “Game Browser” tab of the PvP window. Hover over each server to see it’s details (i.e. if it’s 8v8 and there’s 17/20, it is most likely no room for you to play). I would suggest that you play whatever class you are most comfortable with. You can find builds on this forum, or google it, but make sure that it’s current (within 2 weeks~).

If you want to know/learn more, just PM me via forums or mail in-game (although the former is more efficient because I hardly log on anymore).