A few questions...

A few questions...

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: AuroraSkies.5793

AuroraSkies.5793

I played a fair bit of Guild Wars 2 about a year ago when I bought it and I levelled my Norn Ranger to 64 before leaving for a long time. I just bought Heart of Thorns on sale so I’m back to finish all my stuff off but I had some questions.

With Heart of Thorns, you get one free Lvl 80 character, and obviously it would be a waste to use it on my Norn (She’s already up to 71 from today alone). I always wanted to have a Charr Guardian or Revenant, Sylvari Elementalist and a Human or Asuran Thief. But now I’m not sure which of these I should use the 80 boost on? I’m really not sure which would be the most useful/best for me.

What is the process with the boost? The character obviously goes to Lvl 80 instantly but you don’t acquire any of the gear you otherwise would by doing the process yourself? And you don’t get the map completion for your starter area either?

A few questions...

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I played a fair bit of Guild Wars 2 about a year ago when I bought it and I levelled my Norn Ranger to 64 before leaving for a long time. I just bought Heart of Thorns on sale so I’m back to finish all my stuff off but I had some questions.

With Heart of Thorns, you get one free Lvl 80 character, and obviously it would be a waste to use it on my Norn (She’s already up to 71 from today alone). I always wanted to have a Charr Guardian or Revenant, Sylvari Elementalist and a Human or Asuran Thief. But now I’m not sure which of these I should use the 80 boost on? I’m really not sure which would be the most useful/best for me.

What is the process with the boost? The character obviously goes to Lvl 80 instantly but you don’t acquire any of the gear you otherwise would by doing the process yourself? And you don’t get the map completion for your starter area either?

I can’t really tell you which profession to boost. That is too much of a personal choice. However you can test any profession at L80 using the boost and if you don’t like it you just don’t accept the boost when you are done. Here is Anet’s tutorial on using the L80 boost you may find very helpful.

The Burninator

A few questions...

Posted by: Eros.6801

Eros.6801

I can’t say which one is best for you but after 7/26 patch here is what happen

Ele got nerfed badly, you can visit ele subforum to see how desperate ele users are right now.

Rev as mush as i love my rev the more im dissapointed in this patch, nothing really changes, buggy very unstable class atm if anet fix those bug i probably recommend you to play rev.

Thief is a decent class now, fun and challenging gameplay but rely alot on dodges, if you make one mistake it may cost your life, hard to play if you still learning or try to get back in game after a break.

Guard is what i highly recommend now cuz they got buffed quite a lot after patch, guard alway a good choice since the beginning, good team support, personal dps, survival, a bit slow with no passive 25% speed but you can have perma swiftness, low HP pool can be solved with marauder stats and this stat quite cheap to craft ( just need HoT expansion )

So yeah – Guard it is !!

A few questions...

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Since you’re relatively new to GW2, the leveling process can be a lot of fun and more importantly teaches you how to play the new profession. So you could consider just using it on your ranger when he’s level 80 for the free items, depending on how much you enjoy the leveling experience and learning.

A few questions...

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I can’t say which one is best for you but after 7/26 patch here is what happen

…snip…

Don’t pick professions based on patches or their current state in any concept of ‘meta’ you or someone else has (not that Eros was doing this latter thing specifically, but it was worth throwing in).

That’s chasing the jackalope, and it only will lead you to frustration.

All the professions change over time. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad, most often a mix… but they ALWAYS CHANGE. It’s better to find the profession that meshes with your play style and you find engaging.

Do what others have said and use the 80 to try out all professions with a concept or play style that might interest you. After you’ve tried them, then make the boost permanent on one; there’s no need to rush it.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

A few questions...

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I think you can do well with any of those classes. Which is best for you really depends on what content you’re interested in and how you like to play. To put it in general terms:

Thief plays FAST. You deal high bursts of damage and use frequent evasion, leaps, stealth, and/or teleports to move around the field and avoid damage. The “rotations” are among the most straightforward of any class, but thief is played with a lot more movement than other classes. It’s also less forgiving.

You have the tools to survive as well or better than any class in many scenarios, but you don’t have the health or armor to take a lot of hits if you make mistakes. So although the playstyle is fairly simple, the speed at which the class is played may force some additional errors if you aren’t comfortable with it.

Ele is another high damage class with a fast playstyle, but for different reasons. Elementalists essentially have twice as many abilities to work with as thief, even though they don’t have a combat weapon swap. To play this class well you need to know all of your abilities, when to use them, and be quick enough on the draw to execute when it counts. Being a little sluggish on ele will cost you just like it will on thief, but you have a lot more to learn before you get it down.

Guardian is a class I haven’t tried yet. From what I hear, it has solid healing and group support as well as access to damage mitigation (aegis, protection, etc.). I get the impression that it’s a slower, tankier class than thief or ele. It might make a better option for players easing back into the game. But that’s just speculation.

A few questions...

Posted by: Agrotera.1254

Agrotera.1254

I will take a moment and explain the level 80 boost.

You choose a character to use it on. It places that character in The Silverwastes with armor, weapons and trinkets. Whatever equipment you were wearing is put into a “bag” in your inventory. You are in a trial of level 80. You have to stay in The Silverwastes but you can run around and explore while killing mobs and doing events.

If you decide that you do not like that character/profession/race then you simply leave the trial and it puts your character back in their racial capitol with the gear that they had on before. If you decide that you like it then you make it permanent.

Once you make it permanent you get other things such as one shared inventory slot, among other things.

you can’t fix stupid

A few questions...

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

as others have said, test it out with the boost. But another way to test it out is to jump into sPVP and see how the flow works against the AI testing NPCs. Its not as good as going into SV with the boost but its faster IMHO.

Also, incase you didnt know, sPVP tracks reward leveling Tomes. As well as the daily login rewards. So you should be fine using the 80boost on one character while stock piling the tomes to do a 3rd. So dont get too stressed out about the choice.

A few questions...

Posted by: AuroraSkies.5793

AuroraSkies.5793

Thankyou all so much for your input! I’ve done a bit of extra research and decided that revenant probably isn’t for me just yet, so I’ll make a Sylvari elementalist and a Charr guardian and test them out to see which one I’d most benefit from instantly boosting. I also have a few of the items that boost to level 20 so I’ll use that on the other one to speed up the process a smidge