A few questions if you can help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Miele.6537

Miele.6537

Hello everyone,

I recently bought HoT, after a while I was not playing. I had all characters at 80 during the original game which I played for quite a while.

I decided to start with a thief my new experience in HoT content, just as I started with a thief at launch.
I had enough points to unlock pretty much everything, but the full Daredevil tree which I’m working on right now, staff by the way is a very fun weapon.

I’m running around with Staff and P/P for doing open world, which honestly is my main activity in game, I’m an explorer and I like to try soloing everything (and often failing ). I’m not a PvPer so I don’t usually bother doing anything in sPvP or WvW, I prefer to stick to PvE.

I would like to ask you a few questions:

1 – I unlocked gliding and shroom super jumping, is there a preferred order of other things I should work on or should I just wing it?

2 – I have a few full exotic sets, zerker, carrion, knight/soldier, etc., so I’m doing okay, but how do I obtain ascended weapons? Do I need to craft them? I hoarded materials for years, everything is at the stash cap, meaning that I cannot store anything anymore. It shouldn’t be too terrible to get all materials, even if I’m very scarce in liquid wealth (gold), but if I can farm it I can make it I guess. Oh, I’m a Huntsman if that helps identifying what I have to do.

3 – How can I grind some gold? Not looking forward to make thousands, but say a couple hundreds maybe? Which is the best way?

4 – I heard someone say legendaries can be crafted now, is that true? I think it may be referring to precursors, but I’m not sure. If it’s possible, how can I work on one?

5 – Is there an experienced thief that can give a few tips on open world or general pve builds? Eventually for raiding in the future as well. A link to some website is also equally welcome, I’ve been really out of this game for too long and I have to find my ground again.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The Wiki is a good resource for many of your questions; i.e. crafting Ascended/Legendaries, the worth of materials for sale, acquiring Ascended Trinkets, etc. (Link above.)

Welcome return, and good luck.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

1 – I unlocked gliding and shroom super jumping, is there a preferred order of other things I should work on or should I just wing it?

I just winged it but in general the last and most expensive in each line is probably the least useful.

Gliding – Getting this up to advanced gliding is good. You won’t miss much by not having ley line gliding

Itzel Lore – You will want to get up to Itzel Poison Lore otherwise some areas are not accessible.

Exalted Lore – Just getting Exalted Markings is fine

Nuhoch Lore – Get this up to Nuhoch Stealth Detection

2 – I have a few full exotic sets, zerker, carrion, knight/soldier, etc., so I’m doing okay, but how do I obtain ascended weapons? Do I need to craft them? I hoarded materials for years, everything is at the stash cap, meaning that I cannot store anything anymore. It shouldn’t be too terrible to get all materials, even if I’m very scarce in liquid wealth (gold), but if I can farm it I can make it I guess. Oh, I’m a Huntsman if that helps identifying what I have to do.

You have 2000 of everything?
Unfortunately an important aspect of ascended crafting is the time gated material so having a lot of things stored up less helpful than it could be. You can also bypass the gating by buying the finished item on the TP but that will cost you extra(usually).

You can also buy ascended gear using the raid currency or random drops but random drops are obviously not reliable.

Two of the cheaper options for ascended weapons is the various elite spec weapons and weapon you get through the Caladbolg quest. The first time through the that quest the weapon is very cheap but you do need to have a character that has finished the HoT story and this assumes you want a sword/greatsword/shield/scepter/dagger. Caladbolg’s weapon type is changeable as well for 1000 unbound magic.

3 – How can I grind some gold? Not looking forward to make thousands, but say a couple hundreds maybe? Which is the best way?

Silverwastes is pretty easy and basically guaranteed. Ideally you want a lv30 or 50ish character to do all the bag opening. Check the LFG. If it is advertised as RIBA it means they are running around in that order. Red fort -> Indigo -> Blue -> Amber.

4 – I heard someone say legendaries can be crafted now, is that true? I think it may be referring to precursors, but I’m not sure. If it’s possible, how can I work on one?

They have always been craftable. :P

The “new” thing is craftable precursors. This is not always the cheapest route. Sometimes the crafting cost can be as much as twice the cost of buying it.

5 – Is there an experienced thief that can give a few tips on open world or general pve builds? Eventually for raiding in the future as well. A link to some website is also equally welcome, I’ve been really out of this game for too long and I have to find my ground again.

http://qtfy.eu/build/thief
https://metabattle.com/wiki/Thief

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Staff + p/p is a strong open world combination, although I would suggest carrying a shortbow most of the time simply for the mobility. Staff will end up being your go-to weapon with the pistols more or less reserved for kiting tough single targets you don’t want to get close to.

For an open world build I like dd/cs/acro. It sort of covers all of the defensive bases with tons of evasion, great condi cleanse and heals, and still retains strong burst for taking down enemies quickly. Run it with marauder and even strong enemies and large groups will have a tough time taking you down.

If you prefer stronger damage and feel comfortable with it, ditch marauder and acro and pick up berserker and deadly arts or trickery.

Posted by: Miele.6537

Miele.6537

Thank you everyone, you have been very helpful

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Forgot to mention that precursor crafting also uses up a bunch of ascended materials so trying to do that and make ascended weapons at the same time is conflicting.