A good way to eliminate hacking.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

Hi, since I am seeing so many people complain about being hacked and hearing about how over 11,000 people have had their accounts hacked why not use this system that WoW has that pretty much stops about 80% of all hacks.

its called the free dial-in authenticator where you just register a cell phone and whenever you try to play from another location it asks you to call a number on the screen with the cell phone that is registered and dial in a 4 digit pin number that you made, also there should be character pins like in Aion.

this will essentially stop the majority of hacks and I know this is probably the wrong place but there is no suggestion forum here.

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

We need a mobile authenticator like I use for Blizzard games… the dial-in ones have proven to be troublesome.

I do love the e-mail notices you get to approve or deny IP address when someone tries to log in.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Animando.7956

Animando.7956

Or that people stop using an email address and a password already used for anything.

A simple announcement on the registration page like If you don’t follow our advices you might be hacked so don’t be lazy or blame yourself will suffice.

Posted by: Jarvis.3487

Jarvis.3487

We need a mobile authenticator like I use for Blizzard games… the dial-in ones have proven to be troublesome.

I do love the e-mail notices you get to approve or deny IP address when someone tries to log in.

Good point, they said they were going to make a mobile app to be able to do auction house trades and such from your phone while you are away from the game. I am hoping that when this comes out they put some extra security for logging in.

My only problem with this is once you set up the application on your phone is it easy to switch phones? swtor had a similar app if you lost your phone/deleted the app/or got a new phone you had to call customer service to remove the extra security so you could log in and you could not use the app ever again. So if they do I hope it is easy to do this or you could do it over email if you do not have your phone when you sit down to play/ just make it easier to do the extra security by sending an email code or text message?

Pre-purchased 7/31/2012 (unsubscribed SWTOR as well…)
Music for the weekend – http://protoculturedjblog.blogspot.com/
Active GW2 forum – http://www.guildwars2forum.com/members/12043-Jarvis

Posted by: Lorandun.2570

Lorandun.2570

Blizzards Authenticator is an RSA device and would work. Google lets you setup your Google Account to have a twostep process, The typical User/Pass, and then a code texted to a phone you register, that you enter before you can fully log in. This would work and possibly be cheaper than a RSA server and the infrastructure and support needed for it.

sonicwhip.9052

Blizzards Authenticator is an RSA device and would work. Google lets you setup your Google Account to have a twostep process, The typical User/Pass, and then a code texted to a phone you register, that you enter before you can fully log in. This would work and possibly be cheaper than a RSA server and the infrastructure and support needed for it.

this is pretty much make it virtually impossible to hack anybodies account who are using dial in authentication.
and everyday on gw2 facebook I keep seeing more and more people saying they are hacked, the sooner something like this is made the better.

Posted by: Phaze Delta One.2834

Phaze Delta One.2834

Hi, since I am seeing so many people complain about being hacked and hearing about how over 11,000 people have had their accounts hacked why not use this system that WoW has that pretty much stops about 80% of all hacks.

I have a few bridges I would like to sell you.

Posted by: VendettaDFA.9368

VendettaDFA.9368

I followed ANET’s suggestion and strenthened my password by making it unlike any other password I ever had. There is room for a 100 character password in this game if you werent aware. I prefer to believe my security is my responsibility. I have never been hacked, not even when I was playing WoW or the game referred to as Diablo3 which should have been called Auction House Tycoon and I never bought their authenticator. You take the right precautions, scan for malware and keyloggers using good utility software, and dont go to shady websites and that stops 90% of the problem. I personally am happy with the current security provided.

FYI … blizzard’s own server was recently hacked … no authenticator will help if someone grabs your account info from the other end. google or Yahoo “blizzard hacked” to find the link

(edited by VendettaDFA.9368)

sonicwhip.9052

well the more defenses people have access to the less emails customer support will get of hacked accounts.

Posted by: VendettaDFA.9368

VendettaDFA.9368

well the more defenses people have access to the less emails customer support will get of hacked accounts.

You are welcome to as many defenses as you wish …but dont impose them on the rest of us who are able to handle our security levels ourselves