A helpful class for WvW?

A helpful class for WvW?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Justin.5231

Justin.5231

So I’ve been playing for about 4 months now and just don’t feel that I really help out much when it comes to WvW..

I play on a Mesmer and Ele mostly, but do some with thief but it’s mainly roaming.
I’m not sure if it’s just all in my mind, but with Mesmer and Ele I don’t feel like I contribute much to a fight…

I use ele a lot for area heals to keep the team up, but other than that… Meh.
I’ve thought about doing a d/d or fresh air build because I love those, and maybe just snipe out people when we get into a brawl..

But am I just playing the wrong classes?
I made a necro a few days ago to try it..
I typically like range classes/magical

So what do you guys think brings a lot to a group in WvW (Not Zerg vs Zerg, just smaller encounters).

A helpful class for WvW?

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

try guardian

with staff only you are already a good help

empowering from staff is actually a good help for big fights (12 might stacks and 1.5-3k heal)
line of warding can stop incoming attacks so your people can react to them
symbol for swiftness for everyone and some aoe dmg

if you run shouts for utilities – stability and other support boons (protection, regeneration, retaliation) from your shouts do help a lot (especially the stability)

in addition to that your virtues are another little help

and you usually dont die that fast on guardian while attacking 5 enemies per hit with staff and therefor dealing good dmg
(even though the autoattack itsself is not the highest dmg if you consider that you deal medium dmg to 5 people at once while not having to stay at melee range and risking a lot thats actually quite good..)

and for second weapon you can go greatsword (quite good aoe melee dmg on skill 2 and 4) or hammer (skill 2 lets you burst combo fields a lot and ring of warding is similar as line of warding and useful too)

edit: didnt that you just need a good one for small encounters..^^
what do you mean by small encounters exactly?
just 2 vs 2?
5 vs 5?
or up to 10 vs 10 or more?

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

A helpful class for WvW?

Posted by: Justin.5231

Justin.5231

Typically anywhere from 5-25 players per team or so…
Medium I would say

A helpful class for WvW?

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Guardian

15char

A helpful class for WvW?

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Being an ele (at least staff ele) in group PvP isn’t just about DPSing or raw healing, but about providing AoE CC and combo fields. A well-placed Frozen Ground or Static Field can cause havok and lock down enemy players who neglect to pack condition cures or stability, and soon Unsteady Ground will function much like guardian’s Line of Warding, knocking down any foes that come nearby. Immobilize is another condition that can really mess with inexperienced players, and though earth staff skill 5 is slow, it pierces and can catch multiple people if they don’t pay attention.

Combo fields require more awareness from your teammates, but can be pretty useful when they know what combos create what effects. Blasting in fire fields stacks might, blasting in lightning fields gives swiftness. Ele can readily provide both of them. The base heal on Geyser and Healing Rain is small, but if people blast in them, everyone can heal up quickly; it’s why you’ll hear good commanders call for water fields on siege and golems.

So ele is useful in group PvP when the people around you know how to take advantage of your CCs and fields. However, if you’re more into raw healing/shielding than mass CC, guardian is another good option for reasons other posters have described.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

A helpful class for WvW?

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

lol! Guardian. .

A helpful class for WvW?

Posted by: Damash.1074

Damash.1074

Yea i like the Ele to but i hate Attunement switching (what is its big feature :P) i just wish i could build it that way i can specialize in just 1 attunement AND be performng good in WvW and PvP =\

Alpha Alex